• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should fireworks be banned?

• Yes, because of polution/animals/safety etc.

Votes: 188 46.5%
  • No, I love them and they have cultural significance

Votes: 97 24.0%
  • Only fireworks organized by the city, but no private fireworks

Votes: 85 21.0%
  • Only certain types should be banned

Votes: 34 8.4%

• Total voters

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko
OperaSydney-Fuegos2006-342289398.jpg

With each passing year you seem to hear more and more people calling for a ban on fireworks for various reasons and cities around the world start implementing them (at least partially). Especially in Sydney this topic is hotly (no pun intended) debated this year, because of the raging bush fires.

What's your opinion on the issue?

Personally I wouldn't want to miss see the sky lighting up on New Year's, but I could totally do without private fireworks, especially firecrackers that only produce bangs. Organized fireworks are prettier anyway.

Doober

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I just want to ban fireworks after July 4 and Dec. 31.

I don't want to hear that shit on a Tuesday night in the middle of January.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Only official ones should stay. Hearing random backyard fireworks going off at random times during the night for WEEKS before and after a holiday was annoying and the bang is startling before I realize it's a firework, and scared the shit out of our dogs. Not to mention the area of california I'm in is very dry and full of brush. Glad they've been regulated here because it used to be horrible.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Would be 100% okay with this, only because one or two of my neighbors have turned what should be a one night thing into something they do over a few days and for any fucking reason. July 4th around the corner? Better start shooting them off a couple of days beforehand to make sure people know, and a couple of days after to help people remember the good times they had that night. Christmas coming? Time for fireworks!

Have your fun on the proper time but this has become obnoxious.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Australian here

I think that first off the fireworks, public or private, should be affected by total fire ban restrictions and not be able to get any exemptions. Even should the big public ones not cause any fires, the resources devoted to ensuring there isn't any fire should be going into preventing/fighting fires across the state.

If that requirement is met, then, I'd personally go for public only, no private. I'd personally be happy to not have any, but I understand that that's not the opinion of everyone, and for the big ones like NYE in major cities that they can be an economic boon.

Private fireworks, while fun, are in my experience, mostly done in the dry, rural areas with little appropriate supervision and people can get a sense of...bravado, I guess, about it, and don't treat the fireworks with the proper respect they should be.

Spookie

Oct 28, 2017
Wirral, UK
It's done two days a year here in the UK. If people want to spend money with them, well you do you. I've no issue with them at all.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
Ban private fireworks.
Waste of money, scares all kinds of pets and wildlife, bad for the environment, source of severe injury and death...
Regulated government fireworks for certain celebrations sound acceptable to me.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
It's done two days a year here in the UK. If people want to spend money with them, well you do you. I've no issue with them at all.

People do it on Christmas, New Years, Nov5th and then around me also cultural things, like Diwali or other religious celebrations. In and around London is definitely way more than 2 days.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017

I've seen the sorts of injuries people get from private fireworks first hand and that alone should be enough to ban them IMO, those 2 days in the UK are a nightmare for emergency departments. Though as mentioned above there are plenty of other reasons.

The big public displays im ambivalent to. Im not a fan and would be ok with them going away but it's not something I'm passionate about.

Graefellsom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I just like the little wheels and ones that fart tiny fireworks a foot in the air these days.

i wouldn't complain if everything was banned tho.

Schreckstoff

Oct 25, 2017
fireworks killed our pregnant at the time cat and all her babies and scared our dog shitless every year.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I'm not in favor of banning fireworks. Loved them and lit then since a kid
Don't see myself stopping anytime soon.

We have some colorful mortars for tonight. Fireworks go off by me from May-October and then obviously tonight.

Jul 19, 2018

This isn't true though because people are idiots. Around here they went off every night for a week around Halloween, which is infuriating as it terrifies my cats. Dreading tonight and the next few days for the same reason.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
We currently have restrictions in the UK that prevents them being used after 11pm generally, after midnight on bonfire night, and after 1am on New Year, Chinese New Year and Diwali.

I would prefer they were actually restricted to those dates (or nearest weekends) completely. At least people can plan for it then (ie people who have pets who are scared of them). They could grant exemptions for other events (eg an opening ceremony at a stadium). Currently you hear them every night about 7 days either side of bonfire night and it's too much.

I do enjoy them but let's keep them to their respective holiday dates.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a Michigan resident who has firework loving neighbors who have gone nuts since the ban ended?

Fuuuuuuuck Fireworks. (City Fireworks are fine.)

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Australian here

I think that first off the fireworks, public or private, should be affected by total fire ban restrictions and not be able to get any exemptions. Even should the big public ones not cause any fires, the resources devoted to ensuring there isn't any fire should be going into preventing/fighting fires across the state.

If that requirement is met, then, I'd personally go for public only, no private. I'd personally be happy to not have any, but I understand that that's not the opinion of everyone, and for the big ones like NYE in major cities that they can be an economic boon.

Private fireworks, while fun, are in my experience, mostly done in the dry, rural areas with little appropriate supervision and people can get a sense of...bravado, I guess, about it, and don't treat the fireworks with the proper respect they should be.
Also fellow Australian, this is my opinion as well. All fireworks displays should be subject to current fire bans without exemption. I'm not massive on Fireworks in general but the big public ones like NYE do serve an economic and cultural purpose, even if I don't give a shit about them so it's hard to make a completely agreeable case to why they should be permanently stopped. Also agreed on the private fireworks, I'm from the country and have seen some severe cases of shitfuckery when it comes to handling of fireworks out here, a lot of people don't realise they're not toys and that they can do serious damage.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
They're obnoxious and I don't partake, but I wouldn't want to ban them. Let people have their little bang-bangs, it's their money to burn.

Cdammen

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Banning them for private use in cities? Sure!

It's dangerous. I've had my grandfather, father, and some helpful dude save a kid from a one-story house. A small rocket flew in through a window and started a fire. They had to kick down the door because the parents left the kid to watch... the fireworks. Stupid parents, but it wouldn't have happened if idiots weren't shooting rockets on the street.

I have several friends with dogs who have to go to the countryside during New Year's or their dogs freak out so bad they get stressed and jumpy weeks after.

In Sweden they had to increase the max punishment for people trying to stop emergency vehicles and police because there were assholes shooting rockets at them while they were trying to put out fires or get to someone in need.

People are trash. Give them the right to do something fun once a year and they'll find a way to be irresponsible or outright dangerous with it.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Also fellow Australian, this is my opinion as well. All fireworks displays should be subject to current fire bans without exemption. I'm not massive on Fireworks in general but the big public ones like NYE do serve an economic and cultural purpose, even if I don't give a shit about them so it's hard to make a completely agreeable case to why they should be permanently stopped. Also agreed on the private fireworks, I'm from the country and have seen some severe cases of shitfuckery when it comes to handling of fireworks out here, a lot of people don't realise they're not toys and that they can do serious damage.

Where are you guys getting fireworks from?, Fireworks have been banned here for over 30 years. My only experience with them was when my uncle brought some tiny ones over from Bali in 1998, besides that all we can buy are sparklers and party poppers.

(Queenslander here)

Canoli316

Jan 19, 2018
I'm vacationing from AZ with my family in Puerto Rico and there were fireworks going off the other night that sounded like gunshots. It was a little unsettling. I don't know the rules or restrictions on sales, but I'd like to see people hold off on setting them off until December 31st. But, you know, people are going to do what ever the hell they want so...

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I'm okay with them being banned in city centres and other densely populated areas.

Fireworks in my country are so watered down and pricey these days that I hardly buy anything. In the 90s we still had proper bombs and shit.

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I think it's fun, sure there are some people that ruin it for others, but it's not widespread enough of an issue(here) to warrant banning them outright.

Small children can wear earphones or be in a room where it's harder to hear them. Dogs can go in the room too, it's inconvenient for like 3 hours at best, outside of that there's maybe one or two every 40 minutes.

I live in a mid sized city, but there's plenty of open land that people go to do set off fireworks.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Yes absolutely, ban fireworks. There is no value to them and they have a huge impact on health and environment.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Where are you guys getting fireworks from?, Fireworks have been banned here for over 30 years. My only experience with them was when my uncle brought some tiny ones over from Bali in 1998, besides that all we can buy are sparklers and party poppers.

(Queenslander here)
With some basic knowledge and a limited sense of self-preservation, dumb, dangerous fireworks are not particularly complex to make and they don't need to be big to spark a brush fire or wreck a kids hand.

OP
OP
Sahasrahla

Sahasrahla

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kakariko

Here in Germany it has become a trend recently to light them for your own private celebrations, even though there is a ban all year round. You can only legally buy them between Christmas and New Year's Eve and light them on NYE. Not even sure how they get them, if they stockpile them beforehand or import from other EU countries? It's really annoying, no need to let the whole city know about your birthday, wedding etc.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
We're having more Firework free zones every year here in The Netherands, I personally like to watch fireworks but the accidents, animal abuse and people terrorizing people with it isn't worth it.

I do like it gives us a reason to go outside around midnight instead of staying inside.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Here in Germany it has become a trend recently to light them for your own private celebrations, even though there is a ban all year round. You can only legally buy them between Christmas and New Year's Eve and light them on NYE. Not even sure how they get them, if they stockpile them beforehand or import from other EU countries? It's really annoying, no need to let the whole city know about your birthday, wedding etc.
My brother spent 4000€ on a fireworks display for his wedding in the middle of June on the beach.
People from apartments on their balconies and such watched and clapped afterwards and a woman next to me exclaimed "I didn't know they do random fireworks here!" lol

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only official fireworks or misuse should be punished severely, both are fine by me.

There has been fireworks going on by stupid assholes even though NYE hasn't even started. I am fine with people spending their money how they want it as long as it does not impair my life. Hearing constant fireworks during the days before and after NYE is not ok.

Also have a bad experience where some shithead threw a firework which bounced off my head to explode Which just shows that kids are to stupid to be trusted with fireworks.

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I meant the big public one in Sydney.

Oh ok, I don't think the fireworks tonight are a great idea because Sydney and down south in general has had enough smoke polution as is but they are professionally done and since they're in the city they have an almost 0% chance of causing anymore fires so they're not technically causing any harm so even though I have no interest in them personally if it raises some peoples spirits I'm ok with it.

With some basic knowledge and a limited sense of self-preservation, dumb, dangerous fireworks are not particularly complex to make and they don't need to be big to spark a brush fire or wreck a kids hand.

Yeah but that's pretty much as illegal as making a bomb at that point, it's easier for most arsonists to just burn shit and that's what starts a lot of our major bush fires. I don't like private fireworks because unless you're a trained pyrotechnic and have permission from fire services it's a danger and nuisance to those who aren't involved let alone the psychological effects it has on animals, so I've pretty much always been glad they've been banned privately, but at events and such where licensed professionals are the ones controlling them with fire services on standby I have no issues with them.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely in favor. I fucking hate the little shits running around shooting fireworks at ambulance/firetrucks or just aiming at each other or blasting it off anywhere but in the air.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

(Queenslander here)

Tasmanians can get a permit, NT has legal fireworks 1 day a year and ACT only stopped selling in 2009, which meant lots of the most populated areas of NSW just came down to Canberra to pick their fireworks up

Deleted member 203

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fireworks are a fucking scourge in the Netherlands. It's hell for at least a week around NYE. Scares the crap out of pets. Probably not fun for a lot of people, either. I hate it so much.

Akai

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't bought private fireworks in about 9 years, now. Just don't see the appeal anymore.

Would be fine with it, if only the city is allowed to have them.

Oct 27, 2017
You should need to be a licensed professional and need to renew that license once a year to be able to even buy fireworks. Then you should only ever be allowed to use them in certain places at certain times for certain events and you'd need to get permission from whatever local government body that runs the area you're trying to mess around with them in.

Those things are dangerous and pointless. Wow it goes bang and lights up the sky that's so cool. Completely ridiculous. Not to mention I live in a place with a lot of wild animals so I'm sure when the dingle berries start drinking their moonshine and popping those fireworks off the animals start freaking the fuck out and running all over the place.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Even without the pet, safety, pollution reasons etc. fireworks should be banned purely for being fucking shite.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I liked it when they were illegal for people to buy in NY and we only had professionally put on ones. I do like fireworks but I don't like people in residential neighborhoods setting them off.