• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Its pretty rough if you dont turn everything down. Its about as bad as Dual Shock 4. I do think the Dual Sense charges a bit faster than the DS4 though. I also keep everything turned off/low to maximize battery life.

Edward850

Software & Netcode Engineer at Nightdive Studios
Verified
Apr 5, 2019
New Zealand
i know this, i use enelopes in my xbox controllers. the point i was making is that you still need additional accessories for xbox controllers, which the person i was quoting was claiming no other controllers require.
I wouldn't really describe AA's as "additional accessories" given they are a commonplace multi-purpose household item, as opposed to a USB C power pack that is exclusively designed and moulded to fit a PS5 DS controller.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I had replaced my PS4 controller internal battery with a 2000mah pack that lasted 20+ hours. Going to DualSense with less than 8 hours of battery life was kind of annoying and I plan on replacing that too once I find something that's compatible. From teardown pics, the battery has 3 wires instead of just the standard 2 so I'm wondering if anyone already did the work to figure out what the third wire is for.

VoltySquirrel

Oct 25, 2017
The DS5 is not as bad as the DS4 but I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up having worse battery life than it after a couple years.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Happy? No. But it's enough for me. If I didn't have the charging station, though, I think I'd be more annoyed by it.

B.O.O.M.

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly never had any issues with it. I also don't have time for gaming sessions that go beyond 2-3 hours on average and my longest runs are around 4. No issues whatsoever.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
You can do that, but it continues running the fans. I'm not a fan (heh) of that.

I think most have extra usb wall chargers laying around. Someone can always just plug the usb cord that came with the PS5, into that wall charger.

You have to get up off your butt for both scenarios. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Many in this thread have said it already though... getting that charging station has been a God Send... because I have two DS controllers anyway... and just throw it on top of that thing after a night of gaming. This was my first time buying a controller charging station, because I used to think it wasn't worth spending extra money on something like that...when I could just plug the controller into the PlayStation or wall outlet. But thank god I did get it.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
It hasn't been a problem for me and the intervals I've been playing for. I can easily see it being a problem for someone playing for longer stretches, however.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
DS has internal battery, has advanced haptics, a speaker, and a microphone, advanced adaptive triggers...and has a touchpad.

Now I mention touchpad, because again it's different than the others.... they put alot of features in it. It costs a certain price. All those features (besides touchpad) are there to go with the sound, to add a immersion. That's what they chose to go with.

To simply say add a bigger battery to solve their perceived problem, isn't gonna happen... especially having it match another controller that uses double AA batteries..that lasts for 30hrs. It won't reach those hrs and it would cost more.

Now you say scrutiny, but is all of it in good faith? Especially if those who scrutinize don't take a realistic view of the situation, and offer a solution?

I tried to offer some solutions, besides just you know.. charging it after play sessions... be it turning off features that they feel are not worth it, to prolong battery life.....to also adding a 3rd party battery clip on (>$20).

But for that, I got called a shill.
You ain't wrong, these features do come with a cost, and all things considered the battery life could be a lot worse than it is - assuming it holds up better over time than DS4's battery did. I actually bought one of those charge dongles posted earlier in this thread a few months back, when I was playing through ME: Legendary Edition, and it's been a boon. I don't play with it on my controller, because it makes the controller feel top-heavy, but it's easy to keep charged and it triples the DualSense's battery life really inexpensively, so I've never minded it. I just slap that sucker onto my Dualsense when I'm done playing, and the Dualsense is ready to go soon after. Yeah, sure, it costs money (less than one might expect fwiw), but it's a lot less than buying a spare controller to keep charged and around, lol.

And you're right about scrutiny, it goes both ways. The reality of the Dualsense is indeed that you trade the expectation of long battery life for a novel suite of functionality that can't be had elsewhere. Everyone's gonna value that extra functionality differently, of course, but those are the facts. If anything, I feel compelled to give DualSense a pass for its battery life after thinking about it a bit more - although I will say that Sony ought to do what they can (when it becomes feasible, given all the shortages) to give PS5 owners more options for controllers. An 'elite' analogue is something I'd snap up in a heartbeat, and a revision that boosts the battery life a bit is something I'm almost certain we'll see a few months or years from now. It may be a while before we see licensed third party controllers for PS5, but the sooner, the better, because then players will be more able to choose what to prioritize, and will always have a solid point of comparison, since PS5 ships with a Dualsense as-is.

I still think the battery life comparison is a valid one to make, but (IMO) it's not like how it was with the Dualshock 4, where I personally saw the touchpad and LEDs as almost completely unnecessary in most cases, and as such couldn't really make an argument to justify its poor battery life. As long as my Dualsense will power through any reasonably-long gameplay session while giving me cool new features to play with, it's got a leg up on my Dualshock 4, lmao. I'm hoping for a day when controllers that have inbuilt battery packs ship with wireless charging pads for optimum convenience. Wasn't there a Dualsense patent floating around last year that suggested we'd see something like that for Dualsense, eventually? That would ease just about all of my battery life concerns, frankly - if I could just set my Dualsense down, walk away, and not ever worry about charge.

Last edited: