• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I avoid contact with anyone who doesn't live in my house. I see my parents at a distance or with a window between us. My mom has a compromised immune system and probably wouldn't survive COVID.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
We don't have much family here, so it's not something we have to even think about.

All would require long road trips....or flying.

No one is really reaching out to us begging to hang out.

Last edited:

Ed.

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I am the only one still holding out in my social circles even though I am probably the one closest to their family. I've been called Quarantini Boy.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have so far. In the next couple weeks I'd maybe be willing to do a backyard visit with my folks, but still keep distance, assuming that cases numbers don't go crazy here with things opening up.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same situation as OP... 4 of us total, no asthma though.

My wife wants her brother and wife and toddler over for Memorial Day. The weather should be nice enough to do outside and we haven't really been anywhere in a few weeks.

Some are say if you must see other people they be part of your "Quaranteam" that you trust.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The hard part about fighting a disease is that it's invisible. Our monkey brains don't like that.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
I had Covid at the start of March and had breathing issues for two weeks. My cousins's uncle died from Covid several weeks ago. My fiancé's aunt is currently in the hospital with Covid.

I don't understand why people think this is magically going away or is no longer an issue despite the numbers coming out every day.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
My family and I have been seeing eachother lately. Before it was masks up, talk to each other through the screen. Now that it's been well over a month we all feel confident and comfortable that we're heathy. GF got tested for Covid as well and she came back negative so my closest circle is back to normal. Still not hanging out with friends though.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Well my family lives almost 1,000 miles away and I was supposed to visit my parents (especially my mom) for Mother's Day. Those plans were obviously nixed. Have no plans to travel up there any time soon.

I haven't "hung out" with anyone since March. I also haven't played tennis since March either, but I'm planning to play tomorrow. We're going to use our own balls to serve, won't touch each other's balls, and we'll already be 15+ feet apart, so it's social distancing to the max. But I probably won't play much after that. The numbers are going back up here in Florida.

Oct 26, 2017
In a world where we have an insane amount of communication options up to and including free video calls, there's no need to risk them.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I go by my cousin's house to workout, but that's about it. Attempting to be careful.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
My brother lives like 5 minutes away by car and he has come by several times (but then he's usually also walked all the way over so I figure it's as much about the exercise as anything). Our parents are about 3 hours away and old enough that we're probably not going to visit them any time soon, just to be on the safe side.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I don't see the point of isolating only to turn around and make exceptions for people. If you want to see people you can certainly do it from a distance. I have to drop stuff off at my mom's house but I don't go in and I do t come within 12 feet of her.
My mother in-law constantly whines about not spending time with us even thought we have seen her at a distance. The funny thing is she lies about staying in isolation but one look at her Facebook shows her socializing with family members we know aren't isolating at all. Screw that we can do up close visits when this is over I'm not trying to get seriously I'll or die

captmcblack

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen my immediate family sporadically, as they all live nearby.

I've seen one of my friends sporadically, as we live in the same complex.

But everyone else - it's been a long time. Extended family, other friends (even in the same area), all that. Don't want to risk people like that.

Just need a little more time here in a hotspot. Maybe I'd feel better about it if I tested and knew I'd gotten it already.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Well I know I don't have the virus so I'm ok with people coming over to visit. It happens much much less than before, but we're still going to see each other.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
We've had zero cases in my city and surrounding area for weeks now, and I've been holed up in my home for 3 months, so yes I'm going to see my family this weekend.

Even with all the internet in my life it's starting to feel like prison tbh.

Nov 9, 2017
I live in quarantine with my fiance and 2 of my best friends since high school. Since the governor of TX basically said everything can be reopened, they all want a game night with some close friends we haven't seen in forever. Of course I don't think its a good idea but I am being overruled. All I can do is hope my other friends have enough good sense to turn down the invitation. Feels bad b/c I actually do want to see them, but I can't be that irresponsible at the same time.

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen my parents once, and my mom is coming this weekend. They have taken this very, very seriously because they are both older. I don't mind seeing them because I know how serious they've been, and I know how serious my family has been. Beyond that though, no siblings or especially their kids/etc. We've dropped some stuff of at friend's houses and socially distance-chatted with masks on here and there, but that's about it otherwise.

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
My brother and his wife are self isolating, my parents only go to the pharmacy, so we had a small get together last weekend so they could see the kids

We had a baby in March and my parents have only seen her twice and it fucking sucks

Opto

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They're not holding up on their end of the social contact to prevent spread. I likely won't see my family until Thanksgiving (by earliest) given the American response. I'll fucking live. Literally. You have a kid that has a health risk and I think protecting her and your nuclear family is the priority.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
This weekend, me and my husband are going to start a QuarinTEAM with a handful of friends we know are following good social distancing and have been working/restricted at home. We are going to watch a movie together. Opposite ends of the seating area, bring and eat your own snacks only.

If my brother's family was physical close, I would include him because I know he is taken it seriously. My mom, no. She is still too much of a plague vector- been in and out of the hospital and going to church following no social distancing.

bananab

Oct 27, 2017
You're fine. There will be a lot of peer pressure on this as things prematurely open up. When you doubt yourself, just ask yourself this: what changed that makes gatherings safer than they were a week ago?

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I live a street across from my parents, we had to meet with each other when my grandma died two weeks ago, and none of us are out traveling much so we are still going to hang out with each other but that is it. Basically limit our contact to us four and not visit anyone else.

Narpas Sword0

Oct 28, 2017
No. I'd be open to visiting specific people I know have had zero contact with anyone, but that doesn't sound like what your social group is doing. If they aren't being as careful as you are then they can't see you.

selfReg

Oct 26, 2017
had a family gathering of about 10 people on Mother's Day. We tried our best to be distant and whatever. Normally I'm just with my mom and pop, rest of the fam is 70 miles away.

Deleted member 64002

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2020
As soon as it's not a huge risk for me to spend time with my mom and sister when I have asthma. I've been holes up in my home this whole pandemic.

MrSpiffing

Oct 30, 2017
I work in food retail so I kept my distance from my parents as my mother has bad asthma. We occasionaly saw each other from a distance when i would drop off shopping. My 10 month old daughter seems to have forgotten them though as she doesnt show any signs of recognition when she sees them. Considering that my city had the highest case rate and how wild the first few weeks were with the store full of customers I'm really surprised that no one in our store got sick.

Fushichou187

Nov 1, 2017
Sonoma County, California.
If your friends or family aren't taking things seriously or embraces actions and rhetoric that places the economy over mitigating risk to people... then I'd say cut them out of your life if you can. At the bare minimum don't hang out with them.

Me personally? We have friends and family in more conservative counties that either have more spread, or haven't been testing that much meaning lower reported numbers and more people waving snek flags and piling into bars, restaurants, etc.. So I don't know when we'll be seeing them since some are older and gave ongoing health issues.

Even though my partner and I feel fine, healthy, and taking precautions to mitigate the exposure, we want to make sure the risk to friends and family is being managed smartly where they live before considering visiting in person.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I think if both parties have been in isolation for an extended period of time there really shouldn't be much of a danger for the two parties to get together under the condition that they've been sheltering in place, not going into public places, even safer doing delivery of groceries instead of going out, and haven't been in contact with other people. There should be very little reason to worry under those conditions as it wouldn't be too different than being around the people in your household. You've just now extended what would be considered your household in a way. Otherwise you might as well advocate that even everyone in your own immediate household should keep their distance to avoid risk, especially if someone has to go out but we don't do that cuz it's not realistic and the risks tend to be minimal. So there's no real reason why you could not have two groups meet under the right conditions.

That said, with regards to the OP, it sounds like those people are not following those conditions so you're not being excessive. If they had done proper isolation then it might have been okay but they aren't.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen my friends or family since march. I might let up on my friends in the next few months since none of us are at high risk, but I won't see my family again this year. I will just stay in contact via texts and what not.

The virus isn't going anywhere any time soon, and while it sucks not seeing my family, I really don't think I could handle it if after I visited I discovered I had covid-19 and I passed it on to my grandparents and killed them.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Last weekend was the first time i was with a couple of friends, and a family member came to visit. That said i'm living in a country where things are going pretty well, which is a luxury and privilege these days.

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I'm the opposite. I've avoided my extended family for years because I didn't fit into the family. The lockdown has helped us reconnect via Zoom. It's been great.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Big chunk of my family went to the beach this weekend... I came closer than I'd like to admit to going with them and being one of those dumbasses on the news.

I basically never go to weddings but of course I happen to have 3 cousins getting married this year, one of them in June. It's a mess.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
I don't spend time close to people that don't live in my house ... which means no one. I went to see my mom but she was on her balcony and we talked from there.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't seen my family since I believe mid march. I Don't expect to go anywhere near them until the end of june or july at least. Some of them have compromised immune systems and I'm not risking it.

sven

Oct 31, 2017
The only people I see are the people at the dog park where we can stay much further than 6 feet apart.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I'm not risking anything. But I work at a hospital and my brother works at a nursing home. We aren't in a position to take risks.

I'm expecting to miss Xmas at this rate.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
My parents live about twenty minutes from me, but I've only gone to see my parents once for mother's day, since they aren't high risk. Haven't hung out with any friends or anybody else though. I'll probably visit again on father's day next month too.

Luckily I can WFH, so I've just been staying home for the most part of otherwise.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My sister moved out as things were getting bad and when I pushed back against her continuing to visit my at-risk parents I was seen as the bad guy, now everyone thinks I'm super panicked about COVID instead of just following the very basic 'no unnecessary travel' recommendations. I've also been with my sister food shopping early during the pandemic and she could barely follow the signs and didn't social distance.

So... if I lived alone I would not let anyone visit me and I wouldn't visit anyone, but no one will listen to me and I gave up. I don't se why any of the visits are remotely justified given the worst case scenario. Just Zoom chat.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
My father had a double lung transplant at the end of last year, so I'm not going anywhere near him. I have seen friends in person while socially distancing in people's driveways and staying at least 10' apart. It sucks, but better than people I care about dying alone because I couldn't be bothered to adhere to guidelines.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Not going anywhere near people outside my house while active community transmission is ongoing. Reopening is 100% going to be a fucking disaster and I refuse to be a part of putting essential works in even more danger simply because of my leisure.