• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fight The Power?

• Yes

Votes: 44 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 194 81.5%

• Total voters

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing the scale of this now, I have no idea how so many people are aware of this when today is the first time I hear about this strike. I do follow news and read multiple stories about Greta Thunberg in the past few weeks but none of them mentioned the strike.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to work and getting margaritas after.

Literally never heard of this strike until now.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I won't be (my job involves tackling climate change so I'm productive either way) but best of luck to those attending

Happy Puppy

Oct 29, 2017
Don't know if there is a one in my city, I don't get out much or use social media. Cool that people are banding together for this cause.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
that is very defeatist of you
And I can understand why you'd feel so. I don't even disagree tbh. I just have no faith that we can actually affect something that runs that deep.
They might seem pointless right now but at some point they won't be and they will be massively followed, even by those that now are denying climate change so I think that it's very important to mobilize as much as possible to raise awareness and speed things up.
Yeah this is my hope. I've seen a lot of changing attitudes towards guns in the US lately and I really would like to think the world can move towards the same with global warming. I can give you my word that if and when we start seeing real impact from marches, strikes etc I'll be there too. It's just very hard to have faith being from the UK and seeing how the media completely ignored the remain marches etc

travisbickle

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Literally never even heard of it in the UK. Though honestly it seems pointless. To end climate change we would need to get basically every industry on the planet rethinking its strategy no?

Like yeah, anyone who tells you otherwise is lying. It's either change the system or start buying shares in canned air and wetsuits.

Troast

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Just back from the Melbourne strike, so proud of my city for the amazing turnout the crowd of 150k was huge and the atmosphere was really good!

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Over 50.000 in Hamburg currently and rising. It's impossible to get anywhere, but it's great.

Nivash

Oct 25, 2017
I will somewhat ironically be flying home from a vacation in Greece. So I guess I'll be anti-striking in the moral sense even if I'm away from work. Sorry.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 days): Inflammatory misrepresentation of another user.
Not doing anything and continuing on our current path puts the lives of millions or billions of people in danger. People have already died due to climate change.

So you advocate murder just to make a point. Gotcha.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Intent. And your attitude towards that is a surefire way of making people believe in your cause.

The cause is "making sure the planet is still habitable for future generations and preventing global catastrophe from climate change." If you don't believe in that on principle I don't know what to tell you man.

Also taking a day to strike != flying drones or endangering people. Support for a livable planet is not support for every group trying to attain that by whatever means.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
The cause is "making sure the planet is still habitable for future generations and preventing global catastrophe from climate change." If you don't believe in that on principle I don't know what to tell you man.

Also taking a day to strike != flying drones or endangering people. Support for a livable planet is not support for every group trying to attain that by whatever means.

I'm not doubting the message. I have great, great issues in putting lives in danger to deliver that message. It also undermines the protest and shines a negative light on it. That itself takes up press time. These actions do the otherwise good actions of others protesting in a peaceful way a sever undermining.

Effective protest doesnt have to mean disruption or endangering others. I don't understand why more people don't get this.

Deleted member 25600

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Intent. And your attitude towards that is a surefire way of making people believe in your cause.
You seem super sure there's an intent to kill, rather than an intent to disrupt....which has been pointed out many times on this very board for BLM protests , is the most effective way to make people take notice even if it doesn't win allies.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
When my son in kindergarten gets home from school I will be attending a rally. And because I'm fired up I also accused my Christian denialist family of being cowards last night. I might not be welcome at family gatherings anymore, but I don't give a fuck. The time for being polite and agreeing to disagree is over. Their cowardice is putting the future of my children at risk.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
Effective protest doesnt have to mean disruption or endangering others. I don't understand why more people don't get this.

Not endangering people, sure. But do you seriously think a non-disruptive protest gets anything done? The entire fucking point of a strike or protest is to disrupt so people have to take their heads out of the sand and get shit done. Just a bunch of people standing quietly in a corner somewhere does nothing.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
There's a major one in my city a week from now and Greta Thunberg will be there. It kills me that I probably won't go because missing work could jeopardize my job. I want to be able to tell future generations that I was there, that I did my part. Maybe I should risk my job and still go. I'm thinking about it.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
1.4 million people on the streets in germany on a workday is amazing.

Just came back from my protests.Even in my little city hundreds turned out.

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I'd rather work than hang out with a bunch of white people whose friends and family profited heavily environmental destruction and have the privilege to look to secure thier future 30 years from now only to turn around and tell poor people that it's everyone's problem now, tighten your belts, stop flying, eating meat and get your denser housing out of my backyard, it ruins my view of nature. I'll continue to support climate change policy, but I increasingly do not want to be associated with this new brand of eco-classism. Rather than personal responsibility, we should be concentrating almost entirely on corporate excess where nearly all the damage is done and solutions are centrally enforceable. And I realize many are that reasonable and my hope is more people catch on and deplatform the louder more ignorant ones. Just seeing some less privileged people involved and pushing for thier own solutions would improve things for me.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
no, there's a ton of people already going, so it wouldn't really make a difference if I was there either way.

they have my support though

also I have work and I'm poor

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Nah. I'd rather work than hang out with a bunch of white people whose friends and family profited heavily environmental destruction and have the privilege to look to secure thier future 30 years from now only to turn around and tell poor people that it's everyone's problem now, tighten your belts, stop flying, eating meat and get your denser housing out of my backyard, it ruins my view of nature. I'll continue to support climate change policy, but I increasingly do not want to be associated with this new brand of eco-classism. Rather than personal responsibility, we should be concentrating almost entirely on corporate excess where nearly all the damage is done and solutions are centrally enforceable. And I realize many are that reasonable and my hope is more people catch on and deplatform the louder more ignorant ones. Just seeing some less privileged people involved and pushing for thier own solutions would improve things for me.

This is a very important post. People should reflect on the danger you highlight here.

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
There's actually one near me scheduled for after work hours, but I gotta housesit for and take care of my grandpa. :/

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
good post, but i think part of the goal of this strike is to get governments to pass legislation that would force policy change on a large scale, not individual level

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
I'm sorry but why can't we do both. As if only voting every couple of years is going to make a difference. What is it you want us to do?

how would the world or movement be better if all these privileged young kids (those monsters! The horror! /s) stayed home and played Zelda today instead?

look at all this privilege. They will just go home later and bathe in their privilege. Should have just stayed in school. SMH /sssss

Last edited:

Colfari

#TeamThierry
Nov 13, 2017
Germany
1.4 million people on the streets in germany on a workday is amazing.

Just came back from my protests.Even in my little city hundreds turned out.
That really is amazing, I've read about 200.000 people just in Berlin. Unfortunately I had to work today, so couldn't go. Called a colleague in Hamburg today, he is located right where the demo started, and he told me it was absolut madness. In a good way of course.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Being in the crowd with baby strollers sounds like hell. Shout out to NYC school children out on the streets protesting!

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
yes I was at it in Stuttgart by the SchloĂźplatz/Rathaus. some of my colleagues and I went for a while.

in fact people protest every friday in front of the Rathaus about climate change

Last edited:

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the scale of this now, I have no idea how so many people are aware of this when today is the first time I hear about this strike. I do follow news and read multiple stories about Greta Thunberg in the past few weeks but none of them mentioned the strike.

She started the school strikes a year ago, they have them every Friday. This time around adults are allowed to join too. There's a UN climate change summit in NYC on Monday, that's why she is in the US and the scale is so big today.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
I went to the one in Izmir Turkey, im not turkish just happened to be here but was great. Couldnt understand much but good to see and great to see quite a lot of vegan signs too which is quite new here.