• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will you keep your consoles after upgrading to next-gen?

• Yes

Votes: 233 50.2%
  • No

Votes: 200 43.1%
  • I'll keep one (if you have both an Xbox One and a PS4)

Votes: 31 6.7%

• Total voters

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'll at least keep the Pro and the S whenever I pick up the Series X.

I would like to trade in or try to sell my OG PS4.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Yeah probably. But only because I'm too lazy to sell it.

Also, a small, irrational part of me wants to keep my PS4 purely because of the great memories I had on it (even though I'll likely never turn it on again).

arglebargle

Oct 26, 2017
i will definitely keep them, the question is whether i leave them connected. i generally want access to all or most of my games in case something catches my fancy. so with BC i may not leave them connected. i will still need to keep my OG ps3 connected for another generation since i want access to ps2 games. i would mostly play ps1 games on vita, at least the ones on psn, but am currently playing suikoden 3 on the ps3.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
No, my PS4 Pro sounds like a jet engine so I can't wait to replace it with the silent killer that is the PS5.

Magic

Oct 29, 2017
Already sold the Xbox One X in anticipation of the Series X whilst it still held good value.

I also have a PS4 Pro which I don't plan on upgrading for a few years.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
im lazy, but will try to sell them.
mainly because unused stuff laying around makes me feel horrible about my consumer choices.

Sprat

Oct 27, 2017
England
Yes. I keep all consoles and prefer to play games on the system they were made for.

And before all the quotes and questions yes I'm weird I like the original experience.

I still have multiple crts for specific old systems. The ones I had growing up.

tryagainlater

Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna give my brother the PS4. I kinda want to keep the 2TB HDD inside but I don't have any spare hard drives lying around and giving him a PS4 without a hard drive would be a dick move. And damn, I still have PT on that thing. I better warn him not to delete it....maybe I shouldn't give him my PS4 :P

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Nope. I sold my Xbone X because I have a gaming PC and am selling my PS4 Pro (white Destiny 2 edition and upgraded 2TB HD) as soon as someone buys it!

I don't see a point when the next-gen systems play BC games just fine.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
No point of keeping The One X around when The Series X is here. Selling it then. Wouldve trade It in towards a Series X if It were an option but It isnt here.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
No reason to hold onto PS4 if PS5 has full BC. That said, too early to tell how Sony is handling BC at this point. If it's anything like Microsoft's efforts, i'll be getting rid of my Pro as soon as i have my PS5 in house in a month.

Cabal

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I have 2 Xbox one x's so I'm keeping one, but selling the other. I'm selling my PS Pro and buying an extra PS5 this time around.

Birdito

Oct 30, 2017
Definitely holding onto my PS4, and it'll be hooked up, too. I have a 2TB drive in it, and about 75 games installed. I'm not about to pick just some of those and then have next-gen games on the 1TB SSD. I'll let the PS4 games live on the PS4.

Tetryl

Oct 25, 2017
I'm keeping my Xbone. Probably gonna put it another room to use as an xCloud client whenever then functionality launches.

ItsJonesy777

Oct 25, 2017
Nope, trading my PS4 Pro in for $360 towards my PS5. I'll have no need for a last gen console once next gen hits.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna keep my one x upstairs as a BR player and Gamepass machine and trade in my pro as soon as there is an all black ps5 or if I can hold a slimmed down version

Buying an SX straight up pre-ordered

plain

Oct 27, 2017
Dropped the PS4 and broke the shell. Still works perfectly but I doubt it's worth anything, so I'll keep it.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
i never get rid of anything. been around long enough to know that i've regretted it. whether it's games or consoles. whatever meager amount i'd make isn't worth it.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
Nah, as soon as GS has a decent promo for console turn in I'll get one. I didn't want to do the console for console credit because I didn't want to be without one for two months.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
I'm giving my PS4 Pro to a friend who wants to get into console gaming but doesn't want to drop $500 in case she doesn't like it.

If she gets a PS5 she'll give it back and its going in the basement.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
With full backwards compatibility for the Xbox One's library, there's no reason for me to keep my One X. That's getting sold. My PS4 Pro will likely meet the same fate so long as most of the library is made backwards compatible.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Surely. The XB1 and XB1SX can game together, no reason to get rid of one. And they even use many of the same accessories. My brother and I will have the option on playing together across both.

The PS4 will probably have crappier legacy support with PS5, online and off. It won't pair as well as the older systems did with each other, making keeping less a convenience, and more a necessity. And with PSVR, I definitely don't expect all of that to port over properly. So it could likely become a PSVR-Box too, even if Back-Compat works out much, much better than shown.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Sold my Pro and Xbox X. Will most likely only be picking up PS5 to augment my PC and Switch.

I am really only using my Xbox as 4K Blu-ray player and for BC. Most games are on PC anyways so 🤷.

OldDirtyGamer

Apr 14, 2019
Probably . I still have a 360 in the closet haha . Will probably put my xbx in a spare room . Not worth selling them for such little money imo

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
P.T., baby!

...one day I'll get brave enough to play it.

It seems like 99% of games should be backwards compatible with the PS5, but I'm still concerned about that 1%.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
I'll keep mine. When I get a series X my One S will go in my sons room and when I get a PS5 I'll put my PS4 Pro in the spare/game room.

I've never not regretted getting rid of hardware.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
If all my current gen games are backward compatible, I don't see a point.

I only keep older hardware if it's necessary to continue playing my game library on. So after this, not counting Nintendo hardware, I'll have a PS5, launch PS3, and an XSX.

I mean, my setup's only got so many HDMI ports.

Oct 28, 2017
I am trading in PS4 Pro since PSVR 1 works with the PS5. But I plan to get a PS5 in the next six months.

I am not trading in my One X though, it is one of my all time favorite game consoles. I will probably wait to get a Series X until there is a better form factor for it and by then the One X will be worth much less.

dedhead54

Oct 28, 2017
On the fence about Xbox One X. I may keep it and use it in our bedroom as a media box.

PS4 Pro will likely get traded towards PS5 when Horizon comes out next year.

tomsawing

Jul 27, 2020
Without user reports on PS5/PS4 compatibility, I haven't committed to getting rid of my PS4 Pro yet. I'm sure within a few days of the release of the console we'll have a pretty exhaustive idea of any games that have issues that I might want to play on PS4 before moving on.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
traded both my xb one x and ps4 pro toward series x and ps5, so nope.

I've got a ps3 phat w/ hardware bc in it as well so I'm pretty much set historically.

Bloodshed

Oct 29, 2017
Had a Xbox One S, Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, just sold the S for $150 and the PS4 Pro for $250, keeping the X.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Sold my PS4 Pro back in August. With the 99% BC figure, I didn't think there was a point in keeping it, and I was hoping the PS5 would be quieter and have better battery life for the controller. I also figured the SSD would be a big QoL improvement. The jury's still out on the controller's battery life, but it definitely looks to be quieter.