• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
These are some of the games confirmed so far

• Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
  • Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
  • Dirt 5
  • ExoMecha
  • Gears 5
  • Halo Infinite (multiplayer)
  • Halo: The Master Chief Collection
  • Metal: Hellsinger
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps
  • Orphan of the Machine
  • Rainbow Six Siege
  • Second Extinction
  • The Falconee

• that's a good start! Certainly more 60fps games than we had at the start of this gen, even if it dwindles ,hopefully we shall see games above 60fps more often. I'm taking 120fps as shorthand for higher than 60fps. Although DF said that Gears5 is locked 120!

Are these games all confirmed to be true 4k @ 120hz?

Cause you don't need a fancy new HDTV with HDMI 2.1 to get 120hz, I'm guessing most of these games drop below 4k to 1440p or 1080 to get 120hz, in which case any old HDTV will be able to do 120hz, no need to get a brand new one, regular HDMI 2.0 still can run 120fps games fine.

Plus if a game does indeed support 120hz at 4k, it'll probably also support 120hz at 1080p or whatever, so you can still get 120fps without HDMI 2.1.

And I definitely think by the end of the gen there will be well over 1,000 games that support 120fps modes. When you include indies, BC, and newer games that target it, I wouldn't be surprised if over the course of ~100 or so months of the generations lifespan we see ~10 games a month released that use 120fps modes.

And this will pick up to even higher numbers of support when the mid-gen refresh comes out with the Pro versions of the PS5 and XSX.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Are these games all confirmed to be true 4k @ 120hz?

Cause you don't need a fancy new HDTV with HDMI 2.1 to get 120hz, I'm guessing most of these games drop below 4k to 1440p or 1080 to get 120hz, in which case any old HDTV will be able to do 120hz, no need to get a brand new one, regular HDMI 2.0 still can run 120fps games fine.

Plus if a game does indeed support 120hz at 4k, it'll probably also support 120hz at 1080p or whatever, so you can still get 120fps without HDMI 2.1.

And I definitely think by the end of the gen there will be well over 1,000 games that support 120fps modes. When you include indies, BC, and newer games that target it, I wouldn't be surprised if over the course of ~100 or so months of the generations lifespan we see ~10 games a month released that use 120fps modes.

And this will pick up to even higher numbers of support when the mid-gen refresh comes out with the Pro versions of the PS5 and XSX.

Some are , but just as a game being 4K now means one of several things or upto 4K (dynamic res, checkerboard etc) I expect games saying they support 120fps is shorthand for upto 120fps.

As soon as you introduce HDR into that, you end being limited to 1080p.
I'd rather play upto 4K on a 4K display than 1080p.

Now if you've got a game that's 70fps-90fps and is 1400p with HDR you are making big compromises to get that onto your display.
Also, you will be stuck with a hud at the resolution of your display.
Also it means you need know exactly what games are running in what modes and manually switch your console's settings- as it's unlikely they will switch automatically. Especially when games switch their internally rendering within a 4K canvas anyway.

Delroy

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I'm using my LG C7 65". It's a nice set still, doesn't do VRR/120hz but I don't know that those are worth the upgrade to me at the moment. I'm not entirely sure how widespread support for 120hz will be outside of 1P games, and if I want to play higher frame games I can try on my 1440p/144hz PC monitor. I'd love a C9/CX, but I think I'll try to wait to the gen out before upgrading.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I just grabbed a Gigabyte G32QC, and so far at least, I'm VERY happy with it.

32" 1440p @ 165hz w/ HDR400/VRR, and I got a good price on it at $300+ tax. This is like the ideal Series S display. Colors are good at their default, but are really nice with calibration, and I'm pretty picky about that.

Man, I've been staring at this all week after your post. So tempted and I can use it for work also. Damn you for posting this! 😂

Natiko

Oct 25, 2017
I already have a 4K tv, but I'm considering buying the LG CX that everyone has been raving about. Only hesitation is the thought of "well what if next year's model has something I'll regret not having" since I probably won't replace whatever I get for several years.

Banderdash

Chicken Chaser
Nov 16, 2017
Australia
I have a Hisense 55Q8.
It's got 200hz, Dolby HDR, & 4 HDMI 2.1s
I don't know if it has VRR, and I cannot find anything from Hisense if they plan to patch it in.

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Been living that 4K life and honestly don't know if I could tell the difference. TCL had a good deal A few years back and went for it.