• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nny

Oct 25, 2017
I got an 4K OLED back in June (also jumping from 32 to 55 inches), to fully enjoy the next-gen goodness ;D

Oct 21, 2019
Picked up a Predator X27 despite the talk about HDMI 2.1. I understand DP 1.4 is already better than current HDMI, but can someone elaborate on what happens when a new DP cable is released? Are current 4K monitors "future-proof" with DP, or will that change as well?

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
i bought a 65" A8H last week when the price dropped $1000. I've been using a 4K monitor for my PS4 Pro in my office for a couple years now though, but it's nice having 4K capabilities in my living room.

Oct 28, 2017
Still on my 1080p Sony Bravia 55 inch. No 4K or HDR.

Its wallmounted so getting a new telly is just a logistical nightmare unless I cover the mounts up or they just happen to work with the new panel. Ugh.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I will need to get a new tv in the next ~6 months. New place and more rooms. Otherwise I'd be fine continuing to use my HD TV's I have until they break.

Ojli

Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
Sweden
Not wealthy enough to upgrade my TV yet. Will play on my PC monitor (which is only 1080p but up to 144hz and I hope it might take advantage of that)

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I'll probably stick with my 1080p set until it breaks down. I only really value low input lag; I don't care that much about other display metrics.

Calvin

Oct 26, 2017
Have a 65 CX for most TV watching and occasionally games on the couch, but I prefer to game at my desk. Upgrading from a 43' TCL 4 series to a 48' CX OLED around black Friday.

PC gaming/shooters on my 32' 1440p 144hz monitor.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Grabbed a Bravia X900H at the start of the Summer. Fantastic all around gaming TV. Outside of great 4K/HDR performance for games & movies, its excellent upscaling has been a huge boon for One S BC & Switch games, and the Android OS gives me easy access to all the apps I could ever need, including GeForce Now (xCloud and Stadia too down the line). Got both consoles pre-ordered and couldn't be happier with the purchase.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
I have a nice 4K set but all the 120fps games are starting to tempt me to upgrade anyways. I'm probably going to just stick with my current set but maybe next year I'll see what the new 4K/120hz/freesync/dolby vision sets look like

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
The 48 inch OLEDs are basically made from the offcuts of 77'' screens.

Wow - that is certainly something I wouldn't have stumbled across otherwise! I love videos that explain details like that. Hadn't struck me it was of course based on "wafer-cutting" production efficiency. So, I guess for 40" to ever exist would similarly depend on that fitting into any larger-sized sheets entering production.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
Wow - that is certainly something I wouldn't have stumbled across otherwise! I love videos that explain details like that. Hadn't struck me it was of course based on "wafer-cutting" production efficiency. So, I guess for 40" to ever exist would similarly depend on that fitting into any larger-sized sheets entering production.

I'm not sure this makes sense to me. If that's true, they're saying the number of 48" TVs produced is going to be equal to the number of the 77" TVs at a 1:1 ratio. That seems unwise to manufacture at that rate given that I have to imagine that the 48" version is going to move more numbers than the 77" version. It wouldn't make sense to have to manufacture them at a 1:1 ratio.

Berserker976

Oct 27, 2017
I'll get a 4K TV when burn in is no longer a thing (and the price is reasonable). I've decided I just can't stand worrying about it anymore. I have a really nice 1080p plasma, but I'm constantly worrying about burn in (and to be fair, my bad habits are what justify this fear). I panic over image retention, and I'm just sick of it.

And before anyone says it: no, "basically" solved is not good enough.

Sheng Long

Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I'll get a 4K TV when burn in is no longer a thing (and the price is reasonable). I've decided I just can't stand worrying about it anymore. I have a really nice 1080p plasma, but I'm constantly worrying about burn in (and to be fair, my bad habits are what justify this fear). I panic over image retention, and I'm just sick of it.

And before anyone says it: no, "basically" solved is not good enough.

You could still get a nice normal LED and not have to worry about OLED burn in.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
I run on a 1440P monitor (Samsung CHG70 27"), but it does accept a 4K signal and downscales it, so it all works out.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Already have a 4k. LG Oled B7. Me and the GF might pick up the CX today for 1499 at best buy. We are still deciding. We would move the B7 from the living to the bedroom and replace it with the CX.

Winston1

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As long as it continues to work fine, I'll have no reason to switch my 1080p monitor. 4K isn't a huge deal for me anyway.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Will get a 4K TV eventually, once all the requirements surrounding one will be met. Prooooobably won't get any of the upcoming consoles until then.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
Anyone have monitor suggestions for use with Series X/PS5? Monitor tech hasn't really set the world on fire the last few years.

Cleve

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4k tv already, but it's a 2015 model (samsung ju7100) and feeling pretty behind the times, it accepts an hdr signal but isn't even a 10 bit panel so that's pointless. I'm very tempted to upgrade, but I think I'll wait another year or two.

dmr87

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Still a bit too big to use as a monitor, too much head movment. I want all of the screen in my field of view, around 32" then we're talking. Chop chop LG.

Lady Gaia

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I completely understand the economic realities of sticking with a perfectly good display. If you're happy with what you have or don't have other options then there's nothing wrong with 1080p.

That said, I see a lot of folks who say they're on smaller displays, or are older (like me!) with imperfect vision, saying that the resolution gain just doesn't make a difference for them. I get it. It's definitely subtle. What isn't so subtle are the other changes that come along with the UHD specification. Be sure not to ignore the benefits of Wide Color Gamut and High Dynamic Range. HDR gets mentioned quite a bit, but the increased color space of WCG doesn't get nearly enough credit for being an important step forward. These two make a much bigger difference for me than the raw improvement in resolution.

iori9999

Dec 8, 2017
It seems much harder to get a 120hz display if you want to keep a 43 inch formfactor. I may just get the 48 inch CX and bite the bullet on moving shit around. The only thing is I want a TV with google(crunchyroll) interface and Sony seems to be the only one with it and I don't want Roku.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm thinking about getting a CX to replace my B7. I've been using g-sync on pc for a long time and would love to transition that life to console games. Hopefully sell the old tv for a decent amount.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
I already had a 4K TV but got the TCL Series 6 yesterday which can do both 4k/60 and 1440p/120hz. Also much better HDR solution than my previous TV.

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
I read in the comments that they could do 32"" with very high usage of the original glass so I'm surprised they haven't made an OLED monitor yet.

Frag Waffles

Apr 7, 2018
I've had a 4K TV since 2015 when I desperately needed a new one. It's only 50 inch, 60 hz but it gets the job done.

I also have a 144hz 1440p monitor, so I'm set on all fronts.

TJG662

Oct 25, 2017
California
I upgraded to a lg cx 77. Had a Sony 850B 65 in. I wanted to upgrade to a set with hdr and to see what these systems could do early on.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
I have a 900p monitor for systems without scart (for which I use an SDTV). I will continue using it until it breaks, naturally.

blue_phazon

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'll stick with my 1080p/144hz monitor for now

I'm still living with my parents so when I move to my own place in a year or 2, I'll buy a big ass 4k TV

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
1080p sadly. My current apartment is pre-furnished so unless I get a better job/side jobs I can't afford a 4k TV yet nor have the room for it. Maybe next Spring if I really try.