• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

audio_delay

Oct 27, 2017
Until monitors with hdmi 2.1 are release, I'm sticking with the screens I have at the moment. I'm not too much concerned about the resolution, but really want a 120hz+ screen for the new consoles or gpu.

Nov 1, 2017
I've had a 4K TV since 2016. I'm in this cycle of keeping a TV for a year or two, selling it, and then upgrading to whatever the latest model is.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I just upgraded to an 86" 4k with hdmi 2.1 and all the other jazz specific for the new consoles.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I just grabbed a Gigabyte G32QC, and so far at least, I'm VERY happy with it.

32" 1440p @ 165hz w/ HDR400/VRR, and I got a good price on it at $300+ tax. This is like the ideal Series S display. Colors are good at their default, but are really nice with calibration, and I'm pretty picky about that.

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
The burn in thing with the new OLED TVs bothers me a lot, so unless there's some ungodly discount on a normal 4K QLED TV I'll be sticking with my 1080 tv.

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sticking with 1080p as long as possible. Hopefully we'll see a lot of games have better performance at that resolution and even if consoles fail to deliever enough performance modes, my PC will still benefit from it.

Do not care at all about resolution until developers start hitting 60fps the majority of the time. I briefly considered going with Series S, but will pick the X in the end, mostly due to storage, disc drive and future proofing, not due to potentially better resolution.

KDash

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Sticking with my 43" 1080p TV that my dad bought me back in 2015. It's my first and only TV that wasn't an SD CRT. I calibrated it for the best picture and response times, and it works great for watching movies and playing games. Still impressed by it.

There are some 4K HDR TVs in my house, but I don't think they look much better.

Getting a new TV would probably require a new audio receiver or one of those SHARC things. I don't think mine supports HDR, and it definitely doesn't support HDMI 2.1. It does say that it supports 4K, at least.

Anyway, TVs and receivers are expensive. I'd rather put that money into getting a PlayStation 5 to go with the Xbox Series X I pre-ordered. And some games for them.

Grugga Pug

Nov 5, 2017
Just picked up a 4K over the summer. Honestly, I don't care enough about 120hz to upgrade again. 4K/HDR is enough for me.

9milli

Oct 30, 2017
I bought a 4k LG OLED in 2017 when I picked up a One X and my God does it make a difference.

RdN

Oct 31, 2017
I've got a 4K TV since 2016.

Last year I upgraded to a Samsung Q80, satisfied with it, for now.

I'll think about upgrading to one with HDMI 2.1 next year, but I'm in no hurry, since I believe few games will be 4K 120fps.

Falcon16

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care all that much about going up to 4K vs 1080p since I can't really tell a difference. Maybe if I see a comparison on a 4k tv I'd feel differently. I do want a new display for 120 Hz, VRR, OLED, low input lag, and HDR. My current set doesn't have any of those. 4K TVs are the only option if I want those features.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still using a 720p TV, I am beyond ready to upgrade

Only problem is my ass is broke, so it's hard deciding which one is right for me while not being too pricy lol

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
1080p, I don't see any personally justifiable reason to spend hundreds more on a 4K monitor.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My X900H arrives next week. I'm ready.

My old Bravia 55HX750 is nearly dead. Caps are leaking, I'm thinking. Lots of input switching issues, random reboots, etc. I'll miss 3DTV, but my hand was forced.

AndTAR

Oct 28, 2017
still looking for a ~40 inch OLED screen
Me too - I'm starting to feel it could probably never release, though. It seems TV sizes are slowly moving upwards, and even 40" slowly being pushed away from the higher-end market by 43" and 48" - just like what happened to the 32" and 37" sizes, I guess. The new LG CX being available in 48" even seems like a "super exclusively smaller-sized option", added this year as a niche experiment, or something.

I would be moving from an old 40" Sharp LE820 with thick bezels myself, though - meaning even the 48" LG CX would have a similar footprint, with these much thinner bezels. (Though the image itself would still be larger, of course.)

Zuko

Aug 11, 2020
It really shouldn't.

I've been gaming on an LG B7 for 3+ years. It's totally fine.
3+ years is great and all but it doesn't impress me. A TV as expensive as they run these days should be lasting closer to 10 years. Not to say yours won't, but it seems far too common of an issue for me to be comfortable investing the kind of money they ask for.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I dont plan on getting a console and my 1080p tv still works fine. My pc monitor is 1440p and I dont think Ill upgrade until I get a new vid card which is gonna be many years from now.

SpitShine

Aug 26, 2019
3+ years is great and all but it doesn't impress me. A TV as expensive as they run these days should be lasting closer to 10 years. Not to say yours won't, but it seems far too common of an issue for me to be comfortable investing the kind of money they ask for.

I haven't seen much evidence it's common, but you should do what makes you comfortable of course.

slabrock

Oct 25, 2017
Bought a new 4k TV in August (with HDMI 2.1). My previous one was 10 years old so I figured it was time to upgrade.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I got a cheapy Samsung 4K TV at the beginning of this year. It was like $400. Hard not to snag.

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
I'm still waiting for there to be a good HDMI 2.1 receiver on the market first. I can't upgrade without one.

I'll stay 1080p for one or two more years. Every HDMI port on a TV needs to support full HDMI 2.1 at 48Gbps before I think of buying.

But why if the extra bandwidth goes unused? As long as it supports all the features needed for 4K, that should be good enough.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have budget to get one straight away, but I'm intending to once I can.

(Do also need to figure out whether to upgrade my receiver as well; it only has HDMI 2.0 passthrough. Could route things differently instead)

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
Me too - I'm starting to feel it could probably never release, though. It seems TV sizes are slowly moving upwards, and even 40" slowly being pushed away from the higher-end market by 43" and 48" - just like what happened to the 32" and 37" sizes, I guess. The new LG CX being available in 48" even seems like a "super exclusively smaller-sized option", added this year as a niche experiment, or something.

I would be moving from an old 40" Sharp LE820 with thick bezels myself, though - meaning even the 48" LG CX would have a similar footprint, with these much thinner bezels. (Though the image itself would still be larger, of course.)
The 48 inch OLEDs are basically made from the offcuts of 77'' screens.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
I have a PS4 Pro, first priority is getting a 4K HDR screen, then later getting a PS5.

edit. the video above made me sad, I was expecting the 48'' CX to come down in price but it seems that it will not :(