• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gotta go fast?

• Faster

Votes: 213 19.6%
  • Slower

Votes: 730 67.1%
  • I am the personification of average speed

Votes: 145 13.3%

• Total voters

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
On HLTB I usually finish a couple of hours faster than the average "Main + Extras" depending on how much I do in the game. As a recent example I finished FF9 in about 35 hours (though I did use speed up in the new port) and A Link to the Past I completed in somewhere around 10-12 on my first playthrough compared to the 17 it says for a completionist run.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Generally I'm faster at RPGs where I don't hang around for post-game stuff, meaningless 'collect the hundred thingies for me' quests and anything else that feels like pointless bloat. I'm way slower at action games though, my aging reactions mean I succeed through perseverance rather than skill!

BigTime_2018

Dec 31, 2018
Compared to other "core" players, a lot slower. I don't play games a whole lot on weekdays, and I often opt to do as many side missions as I can and find as many collectibles as I can. Also, I generally just enjoy taking my time.

nbnt

Oct 26, 2017
Faster, like way faster when compared to the numbers I see on HLTB. Probably because I don't care about collectibles or optional shit, I just breeze it whenever I can.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Way faster.

When I was young I used to experience every optional thing because I had less games, more time and more patience.

Now I go straight to the point in most games. I only do side stuff if it's really interesting or if I'm absolutely loving the game.

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
I have made peace with the fact that having a full time job means I'll never finish a game longer than ten hours ever again

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Slower. I have a full time job so I'm hindered by trying to beat games and I end up passing out from exhaustion after work because I stayed up until midnight to try to beat a game during the work week. If I'm lucky, I have time on the weekend to actually make progress on the game (provided I don't sleep until noon or something).

I had more time when I was unemployed but had no desire to play anything because I spent all day looking for work or was too depressed to want to do anything.

Nevermind RPGs. I still haven't even beaten Final Fantasy XIII and I bought that the day it came out.

TheOnlyJ

Oct 29, 2019
If there's voiced dialogue, I tend to read it and skip over the voice acting which makes me a little faster, and I also don't do a lot of optional quests. Especially toward the end of games where I start thinking about what I want to play next or get in a rush to finish.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If HLTB is any indication, than MUCH slower, but I also think most people are, because HLTB is probably mostly frequented by people who try to get through games quickly, or even speed run games. I think if you looked at true averages (ie. most people never even come close to beating video games), I'm probably average, or maybe even a little above average....but I don't know what those averages really are because of my first sentence.

OddRonald

Jul 31, 2020
I'm normally within 2/3 hours of the average, however I was surprised when I beat Bloodborne in 17 hours when the average on howlongtobeat is 35. I think this was because I play souls games with a guide/researching each boss before I face them rather than slamming into a wall blind and getting frustrated

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Waaaaaaaay slower. Takes me months now to beat even short games. I usually have time to play on like... maybe a Friday and Saturday night or something from 10-12. I used to be able to play till like 2am on those ngihts, but my toddler is in a major sleep regression waking up constantly unless we're in our bed, so.... no more of that.

Nov 5, 2017
I jump to too many games that, these days, I rarely beat one. Plus, there's long spans in between. I may play a game everyday or not touch any game for weeks.

Theron

Oct 28, 2017
Way slower. I double the average playtime when I estimate how long it will take me to finish it.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Definately faster. I Finished CyberPunk with Sidequests in 25 Hours. There is people here that spend nearly double for nearly the same.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
WAAAY slower. I always have massive backlog and constantly juggle, its not unusual for me to finish something like 2 years later, usually after an initial play, and then break for months/years, and then come back later in a time when releases slow down (and possibly starting over again). Plus, most games today are so damn long, they really gotta suck me in for me to see the end.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
This is me playing games.

*Plays something for like 30 minutes*
*Pause game*
*Get distracted*
*Fall down hole of scrolling Twitter/ERA/Youtube*
*2 hours later remember I was playing something and resume*
Repeat!

Chainshada

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game, but usually a bit faster unless I get super invested and read every scrap of lore and take the time to scour every corner or look for miniscule details.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I can beat games in less than a week depending and that's even with exploration and side missions. Not 100% completion though. Quickest I beat a game was in a overnight sitting.

Oct 25, 2017
The in-game time will say I've played the game for a total of 5 - 6 hours, but in real time, I've been playing it for a year and some change lol

Doesn't matter if it linear, open world, strategic rpg, sports, etc.....it takes me damn near a year to finish one.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on the game but I would probably say I tilt slightly more to faster now since WFH.

Otherwise I was always in the ballpark of the estimated times from sites like HLTB.

Moara

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Almost every game takes me from 1.5x to 2x more hours to complete than the how long to beat averages. Especially RPGs.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Way slower. Found out I like drawing so I'm spending more time drawing, writing and reading than playing games. And if I play games, I usually get distracted easily by using my browser.

Oct 25, 2017
When I read about game lengths I always add 50% for my play through estimate. I like to take my time and I'm not particularly good at video games. It's a hobby I enjoy, but suck at.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
usually faster if how long to beat is correct.
THen again i usually play on normal or easy and I imagine a significant ammount of people will pick normal/hard, specially veterans of the series. I think i'll be average if most people played on easy/normal.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Average but because I consume most of the content of the game.

However, 30hs for a regular person could be two weeks and it's just a weekend to me. My gaming sessions are longer than the average I guess.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I think I'm faster when it comes to action/platformer type games and slower when it comes to RPGs and other more open-ended games.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Slower, I like to explore and make sure I'm not missing a crate, an item or something like that. TLoU Part II took me 43 hours to finish.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have ADD. So slower. Especially for RPGs or other involved games that require making decisions of all sorts.

CoolRanchLuke

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the game, I will absolutely smash more linear games or shooters in particular usually well before the suggested length. But then with open world games or RPG's it's a crap shoot, between doing tons of side shit or just putting a game down for a bit and coming back to it weeks-months later I'm pretty much always on the slower side. I've had some friends beat Cyberpunk twice now and I still haven't even crossed the point of no return on my first playthrough.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I definitely know I am slower than my peers, but the actual average gamer? No idea.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Looking at howlongtobeat I'm about 1.5x slower for most games... but many platinums take me easily 3 times longer than the average "completionist" time, because I look at walkthroughs when I'm left with only the obscure trophies I couldn't figure out by myself. Collection trophies can take me a while.

Xevross

Oct 28, 2017
If HLTB is any indication, than MUCH slower, but I also think most people are, because HLTB is probably mostly frequented by people who try to get through games quickly, or even speed run games. I think if you looked at true averages (ie. most people never even come close to beating video games), I'm probably average, or maybe even a little above average....but I don't know what those averages really are because of my first sentence.
I've seen a few posts like this in this thread and I think its just different perspectives, because for me I look at HLTB after I finish a game and wonder what people were doing to take so long. People are just different I guess. I don't recall ever finishing a game slower than the HLTB overall "all playstyles" average playtime, and I check it quite often.

Some examples recently:

TLOU2 - HLTB 28h, me 20h
Cyberpunk - HLTB 57h, me 35h
Immortals - HLTB 39h, me 26h
Demon's Souls - HLTB 33h , me 19h
Rise of the Tomb Raider - HLTB 25h, me 16h

So yeah, probably on average about 30% faster than most people.

I don't think I rush or try to speedrun, I could certainly have done all of those a lot faster if I wanted to. I just don't linger or dwell on things, I'm not one to stop and look at environments or models because they're pretty, I don't enjoy stopping to a crawl to look through every nook and cranny of a level, I just have one decent look around to see if anything stands out. I think it does help that I'm probably better than the average person at most games and I prefer to keep it on normal difficulty and kick ass than trying to artificially challenge myself with a high difficulty, so I tend to fly through most games without failing much.

Like with TLOU2, I don't think I missed anything important in that game and I never ran out of supplies or ammo, sure I didn't go for 100% but I got about half of the collectibles. I even felt like I was being slower than normal and really taking my time with that game. In Cyberpunk I did every important side quest the game presented to me before I finished it.

I guess it also depends if you go for trophies and collectibles the first time round and count that, because I never do. I just play through a game naturally, usually trying to complete most side content I've come across if I am enjoying playing the game. Then if I really love a game and still want to play more after seeing the credits, I go back and try to 100%.

Ensoul

Oct 27, 2017
I am guessing slower since I have a bit of OCD and I feel like I have to do every side quest and find every hidden item.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
I voted slower.

But if 67.6% people vote for that, it might be that the average itself is actually slower than what people think. Though obviously this isn't a scientific research or anything.
Yeah... I find myself agreeing with posts like this. I can't imagine that 66.7% of this site (or the people who voted, sample size of 1k) are miraculously slower than average for no discernible reason (are people who post on message boards slower? I'll leave a memo with Nancy to look into this)

Of course, a whole hell of a lot more people vote on HLTB, but I think maybe there's some merit to whoever said a lot of them tend to be borderline speedrunners... in which case, maybe we should view their own tags through a cipher? Leisurely Completionists = Average Main + Extras... ok I'm just confusing myself now

Tankshell

Nov 1, 2017
210h and counting in AC Valhalla currently (although I am nearing the end 100% completion). I think most people do it in <100.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
There's also the ever-reliable Fallible Human Memory variable*, the Embellishment Compulsion**, the Spreading of False and Blasphemous Common Knowledge***, as well as the case of the Lying Time Counter****, but that's a whole 'nother can of hours played to get into...

* Phantasy Star 2 took me hundreds of hours as a child, something that I, a 60 year old man, remember with utmost clarity
** man i beat that game in a DAY. that shit is a one-sitting joint (the person in question stayed up for 5 consecutive days on trucker speed)
*** Dishonoured only takes 6 hours!!
**** I feel like it's not counting when I pause... but... wait, what about the map screen? But the map screen is pause... is it counting? IS IT COUNTING?

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Difficulty surely also comes into play. There are those rascals, those scoundrels, those ne'er do-wells, those hoodlums, cold men and colder women, those absolute rapscallions, those who would thrust the great middle finger to God's programming, who play on Hard no matter what.

Us normal people, of course, play on Normal. Some may play on easy. There was some dude in here who claimed to have finished Dragon Quest 11 in 27 hours. Isn't that the length of the fucking demo? Idk I haven't played it yet.

If I were a data man, if I knew anything and I mean anything at all, I'd be breaking out the excel sheets I don't have.

moriquendi

Oct 27, 2017
For most games probably somewhat slower - if exploration is an option. I really like to look in nooks and crannies and uncover all of a map. For corridor types games I'm probably average.