• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotta go fast?

• Faster

Votes: 213 19.6%
  • Slower

Votes: 730 67.1%
  • I am the personification of average speed

Votes: 145 13.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
holy shit i can add covers to my own threads? idk what forum tech this thing is running on but i love this customization

virtua_44

Jan 16, 2019
According to HLTB, I am usually a few hours slowers.

But for WHATEVER reason, I always take 2x longer to beat Ace Attorney games. If HLTB says 20hrs, I take 40.

My friends have no idea what Im doing to make AA last 40hrs. Its not like Im idling or anything.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Considerably slower if something is truly holding my attention. I like to explore methodically, comb over the fine details, soak in the ambience, fuck around and experiment with the various systems/mechanics to really get a feel for them.

Plus in any open world or wide linear game worth its salt I turn off all the UI elements & markers I can and restrict fast travelling.

HorseFD

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne
Definitely slower. I always like to explore areas before moving on, or maybe try things a few different times. I'm especially slow if I'm really enjoying the game.

DaveB

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Definitely slower.

I have about 22 hours logged in FFXII Zodiac Age, and according to many guides, I'm maybe a third of the way through it. I am also several levels below the recommended level for where I'm at.

And don't get me started on Immortals: Fenyx Rising... 86 hours to do/collect everything

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
Most games I'm generally in the range of the HLTB average, give or take a couple hours.

RPGs though, those can get high, 'specially since I'm more prone to just let them idle for ten-fifteen minutes here or there and that starts to really add up after forty+ hours.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
I usually try to find secrets and hidden stuff on my own which usually leads to my playthroughs lasting almost twice as long as the average.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Going by Howlongtobeat.com I would say I'm probably mostly slower, though for an example I just beat Inside and there I was about an hour faster than average, so it really depends.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I play really slow, take screenshots and video clips, look at cool vistas and then stop playing 3/4 of the way through 😂

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I voted slower.

But if 67.6% people vote for that, it might be that the average itself is actually slower than what people think. Though obviously this isn't a scientific research or anything.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
If we go by the HLTB averages I'm usually about the same or slightly faster. In open world games I tend to do "everything" tho so with those I'm slower.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
for non-arcadey games I like to soak in the atmosphere and explore as much as possible. So times on something like timetobeat.com are always way shorter than my expectations - its good as a guide but I know they'll need padding

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
It really depends on the game and the workweek I'm having.

When I'm really in to a game I can't stop playing until I get the platinum, when it's an action game it's easier to to after work but I'm currently playing 13 Sentinels and it's a lot of story and tower defense which I can't blast through.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. I find I get through RPGs faster because I start skipping obvious filler quests and I'll read ahead in dialogue and skip the remaining voiced part in certain conversations. I suspect the average player grinds levels more than I will too.

Action games that require some mechanical skill to get through faster will tend to be slower. Stealth games extra slow as I obsess over perfect runs and die and retry a lot.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Slower. If I really like a game, I go through every nook and cranny. Games usually take me longer than the "completionist" time given at howlongtobeat.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Way faster. I beat Dragon Quest 11 vanilla in 22h and people said it was a 100h+ kinda game.

BlueKaty

Nov 30, 2020
Faster because I don't tend to do much side stuff, I simply don't find those fun the majority of time. Then for games like Zelda BotW where the shrines are really fun to do I'd like to beat all of them but after a while it takes so long to find the next one to the point where it becomes frustrating and then I just stop. Also if the reward isn't worth it what's the point.

The few times where I go out of my way to complete everything are Mario games although Odyssey is the first one where I did not do that, I even beat Sunshine with all blue coins multiple times but Odyssey is just too much.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Slower, and im not gonna lie, i usually like to soak into the game if its a game that i like or and rpg and see if i can get 100% on my first walktrhough.

BUT even when i want to go fast like with the spyro trilogy (and yes, gems are for 100% but those games without the gem collecting are not really full games) i get a few hours more.
When i got stuck and looked for something i saw all the guide videos of stages took like 6 minutes to collect everything, and they werent going excesivelly fast or even sometimes knew what to do. And here i am doing the exact speed of movement in this videos with little idling and i felt i was 15 minutes at least on every stage, not 6.
Ended the first game with 7h30min when its much shorter.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Lemme think of some crazy times...

Almost 100 hours for Twilight Princess
70-100 for Skyward Sword (I can't remember)
140+rs Death Stranding (maybe normal)
140+ MGS V (add 30-40 more for Ground Zeroes)
60+ hours Dragon Quest 3 (only one class change)
240 hours on BOTW Wii U+Switch and I've never entered the bird village/beaten it (I never want it to end...til BOTW2 comes out)

none of these games were 100%'d, platinum'd or anything of the sort
With Death Stranding I took time to finish the road and setups ziplines and didn't skip side stuff and still was only in the 50-60 hour area when I finished.

Adryuu

Master of the Wind
Oct 27, 2017
Me too. Four HUNDRED people in the granny lane with me? I feel less alone.

I broke the The Last of Us ingame playthrough timer on ps3, it reverted to zero once I passed a full day. I think I played that for over 30 hours the first time only.
Spent about 60 hours with the second one (Part II) last summer, in a single playthrough.
My MGSV time was around yours, too (and I barely finished the story and most side missions, but nothing weird with S ranks or that shit).

Overall, you actually MAY be slower than me, lol. I didn't stay that long in BotW even if I loved and completed it (no 100% of course, but the story plus most side quests).

When I look at howlongtobeat, I usually aim for the main+extras times for a quick playthrough, or something in between that and completionist for a normal game for me (which would be main plus side content but no completionism or grinding).

I don't think I'm especially bad at games though. I just get distracted and take my time and experiment weird shit.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Depends, but for the most part, considerably faster. I'm of the opinion that most modern games don't respect your time, nor have worthwhile side content. No point beating around the bush, if I do a few side missions and they're just fetch quests, or I get no worthwhile rewards for exploring, I'm just gonna beeline the main missions without even giving that stuff a second thought. RPGs are the big ones though. Generally the longer the game, the more I'm able to cut off.

For example, recently finished Kingdom Hearts in about 16 hours, a little over half of the average, and even then I felt like I screwed around a lot more than I normally would. Not even a whole lot of extra things to do on a blind first run so I'm wondering where all those extra hours are coming from.
Did Xenoblade DE + Future connected in 35-40, where the average seems to be about 50 just for the main game. However XC2 took me 57 playing the same way, which is pretty close to average oddly.
Beat Yakuza 0 in about half the time, and Kiwami in 2/3 the average time. Granted I didn't do many side stories at first because I enjoyed the story so much I couldn't imagine taking my attention off it and doing anything else until I'd experienced it's conclusion.
Platinumed Death Stranding in like 70 hours, and FF7R in 60, both 20-30+ less than the average completionist time.
But then with Fromsoft games, I explore every nook and cranny, essentially doing a 100% first run and my finish time is normally the average for a base run, not doing any extra stuff. So the games I play the slowest I still beat considerably faster.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
In terms of hours, i'm average i'd say. I never rush the story but i'm quite efficient at doing the side content.

But in terms of days, i'm usually slower. I rarely can play more than 1 or 2 hours per day.

Sanguine

Jun 10, 2018
I honestly have no idea because I don't pay attention to other people's time to beat a game (and don't really care). On the one hand, I like to do everything there is in a game so possibly slower. On the other hand, I typically use walkthroughs so I can find everything efficiently (I have too many games to waste time wandering around so I want to do everything I can in one playtrhough) so possibly faster.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
If the time to finish is mentioned in a review, I usually add 50% because I really like to explore, take it all in and experience as much of the content as possible, because I usually don't play through anything twice.

Naner

Oct 27, 2017
Probably depends. I take my time with games I really like. The ones that I just kinda like, I often just rush through.

Z-Brownie

Nov 6, 2017
i have just few days to start and finish a game since i'm a daddy so i usually have a weekend off and i sink into a game a finish it as fast as i can.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game. Something like Dishonored I have twice the playtime because I tend to check every nook and cranny before moving on. The average inbetween game, I tend to be pretty much on par on a bit below average.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Faster. I usually find myself scratching my head on how some of the times on HLTB are so long. Like Dark Souls 3's main story is listed at 32 hours. I did it in 15.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I usually tend to be a little bit slower, but only by a few hours or so.

A big exception for me was the Witcher 3 where my playthrough somehow ended up being way outside of the norm.

C J P

Jul 28, 2020
London
Slower. I like to explore stuff and do everything I possibly can before finishing the Main Quest.

I'm also the kind of person who is both not very good at stealth games and determined to do perfect stealth runs, so my HLTB score is definitely inflated by save/reload etc etc.

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Waaaaaaaaay slower. In horror game communities I'm a part of, there's a joke about game length talk about there being four speeds to play games at, "Fast, Normal, Slow, Dusk Slow".

I take a lot of time to try things, look at things, take in the atmosphere and explore.