• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotta go fast?

• Faster

Votes: 213 19.6%
  • Slower

Votes: 730 67.1%
  • I am the personification of average speed

Votes: 145 13.3%

• Total voters

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm really slow, I often spend time just running and jumping around doing nothing, or admiring the scenery or the characters.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Faster I would say. I tend to focus on the main stuff and I think I'm a little better than average in most genres so I get stuck less.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Always slower.

When compared to HLTB, it's usually slower than the average "Main + Extras". I'm not exactly going for completion either.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Faster but if its something I'm very excited for I'll do 2 playthroughs. One just doing story then another smelling the roses. Take Hitman for example. I've been dying to get my hands on it as its one of, if not my favorite series of all time now. I played each mission once and beat it in no time at all.

Now though I'm starting from the first game, redoing all story missions as they didn't carry over, while recording all my kills to make a montage at the end. This will now go on for months, if not years.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Depends on the game, I find I'm quicker at action/fast paced games and generally get through them faster than average playthrough times, but RPGs I take far far too long.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Way way way slower. I see threads where people have beaten a game in less than a week and I'm baffled. I mean I get it, but I just take forever. Years sometimes depending on the game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Much slower. So much slower. It probably takes me 40-80% longer to finish games than most people. Not only do I take a long time to beat the game in terms of actual playtime; I also don't get so much playtime during the week so it can take me months to finish most games.

It's really shocking for me to see people just rush through 25-30 hour games in a weekend.

Deleted member 7948

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Faster to the point that HLTB is useless to me, so I end up searching for "game name + full playthrough" on youtube to get an approximate time.

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I'm slow as shit. My attention span has gotten worse as the years have gone by. I can't even play my beloved JRPG's because I can't devote that kind of time before being distracted by something else.

Apr 25, 2020
I'm betting I've become progressively slower as I've gotten older. I tend to get distracted by mundane shit these days like Youtube videos.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
If I look at Howlongtobeat I always wonder how people finish games that fast and if they even enjoy them or just wanna get them over with.

So slower.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Based on HLTB, I'm slightly slower. I usually fall into the Main+Extras time, even if I don't do too many extras.

Oct 31, 2017
Slower. I don't buy games to power through them, I buy them to enjoy them; to savor them like any fine consumable.

I don't feel any pressure to treat games like a race, in any fashion. And games that make FOMO and shit like that a driving focus of their game design are instantly unappealing.

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished GoT that I got in August. Apparently I spent 140hrs completing the story and side missions. That's double what HLTB states.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I am much, much faster than average, I think. I beat 76 games last year, and many of them were lengthy, and even then I was under par for most going by HLTB.

zashga

Losing is fun
Oct 28, 2017
I generally finish games faster than the hour estimates I see beforehand. Dunno why; maybe I just do less side content than most people do.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I read this topic wrong. I read average as in do you being faster or slower than other people instead of the projective average time that it takes to beat the game so yeah I'm slower cause I take some time every now and then to explore.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Way slower. I remember when Twilight Princess came out, everyone said reviewers way exaggerated how long the game was. It took me goddamn 80 hours to finish.

Also Idk how people made it through DQ1 in like five hours or whatever. Maybe if they didn't grind at all but then the game would be really hard.
Really depends which version of dq1 people mean. Battles are a lot faster in the remakes.

Evilmaus

Oct 27, 2017
I have a 4 month old daughter and work full time. I'll be amazed if I finish Yakuza 7 this year.

Jun 17, 2018
Faster because I start skipping cinemas if the story sucks.

Did this with AC Odyssey after logging 12 hours game time. Just started skipping the cutscenes as the story was a bit shit. Still ended up putting 30-something hours into it.

I found myseld looking at 'How long to beat' during some of my playthroughs, I should probably just stop playing them at that point though since I know I'm already bored.

I definitely meet the average playthrough time though. I do some extra content but rarely take my time to accomplish everything. Doom Eternal being the recent exception.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
Probably slower, because I tend to explore every inch (within reason) of areas within games, even ones that don't really intend for you to do so.

LatscherGnu

Apr 23, 2018
I'm usually 50-100% slower than the hltb times and i have no idea why people are rushing through games like that (obviously just my subjective impression). The more i like a game the more time i take and the slower i progress to make the experience last longer. If i'm not feeling it i usually just bail and start a different game instead of trying to finish something i don't like as much.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I am very much the person who exists to frustrate the designers of adrenaline-rushed, single digit hour campaigns, because I will make sure to try to go everywhere except where the game is urging me to go, until I find dead ends.

As such, whatever time people cite as estimate to finish a game, I usually multiply by 1.5.

Needless to say, I don't play many open-world games, since I tend to try to 100% those.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
Usually faster unless it's an open world game then I'll do all the available side content before I progress in the main story

Oct 27, 2017
I'm usually faster. I will skip through dialogue once I've read the subtitles if the scene isn't important, I generally will avoid side quests that feel like busy work, I don't pore over every detail when exploring or read every bit of lore, and I am just generally proficient and have played enough games to intuitively know where to go next more often than not.

Also I always run. Why walk when you can run?

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Nowadays, definitely slower. I really take my time when I play games and don't play a lot either, so it takes me forever to finish stuff.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a completionist but I like to dabble in side content, so I usually sit around the main + extra time on HowLongToBeat

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I think people use in-game clock on all those sites like howlongtobeat.

Which isn't accurate when you die and have to re-play areas multiple times. So it takes me 20 real world hours to have a clock that says 10, matching the howlongtobeat number.

Or if you get lost which may or may not be on the clock if you power off without saving etc.

Nov 26, 2019
I thought I was the only one who was so slow compared to average. Nice to know I'm not alone. I think I'm kinda decent at games too, so it's always puzzled me why it always takes me way longer than most people. I guess I just love hanging out in them and absorbing the atmosphere.

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Lemme think of some crazy times...

Almost 100 hours for Twilight Princess
70-100 for Skyward Sword (I can't remember)
140+rs Death Stranding (maybe normal)
140+ MGS V (add 30-40 more for Ground Zeroes)
60+ hours Dragon Quest 3 (only one class change)
240 hours on BOTW Wii U+Switch and I've never entered the bird village/beaten it (I never want it to end...til BOTW2 comes out)

none of these games were 100%'d, platinum'd or anything of the sort

OP
OP
styl_oh

styl_oh

Fallen One-Winged Chicken Chaser
Nov 24, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Also, boy do I remember the days when GamersTM said Dishonored was a 6 hour game. It's a 20-30 hour game if you're a normal human