• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gotta go fast?

• Faster

Votes: 213 19.6%
  • Slower

Votes: 730 67.1%
  • I am the personification of average speed

Votes: 145 13.3%

• Total voters

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Slow as fuck.
I like to turn off most or all HUD elements, I usually play on harder difficulties, and if it's an open world game I always take time to wander. I approach every game like it's Skyrim

Bathory

Dec 8, 2020
Slower than everybody I know and usually slower than the lenght I see in the leisure section of sites like How Long To Beat. I tend to explore everything and go for the platinum trophy.

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I try to enjoy my games/explore everything/Platinum(/100%)/do as much as I can as long as it's not overly tedious.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

I am the personification of stopping to smell the roses. I like to take games at their most comfortable pace, but will often explore off the beaten path just to appreciate the work that goes into these things. Maybe a corner with interesting lighting, or bits of environmental storytelling, or even just a cool asset like a lamp, or a well designed balcony on a building, or a pattern or motif in the architecture, clothing, etc. Just all the details.

If its 6 hours to beat I'll do it in 15 unless its super-linear. Give me an open ended sandbox and I'll probably spend as much time as possible away from the main missions as I can manage.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Probably slower. I like to complete as much as I reasonably can and move slow to not miss things. Sometimes, I also put off getting to the ending of games just because I don't want it to end, so I artificially draw it out.

ZeldaGalaxy94

The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Sweden
Way Faster than normal for main quest HLTB, a little faster for extra stuff, often miss the trophies in the end. Therefore I did 200 games"main quest" Last year to see How fast I really am

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I get distracted just messing around in game worlds too easily. Probably far slower.

Also why I never finish open-world games.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I've been sitting on the last two levels of Demon's Souls for like a month, just farming stones and souls. I could probably finish the game in a sitting or two, but I just can't bring myself because I'll feel like I'm rushing through.
I hate it.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
Slow as hell. One game will probably last me a month or more (depending on how long it is). I'm never in a rush as i like to enjoy the experience.

Deleted member 3040

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Exploration games? Way slower.

Games without much freedom, like linear platformers or action puzzlers? Either average or faster.

CopyOfACopy

Oct 27, 2017
when ever i check howlongtobeat.com i always seem to be 25-30% over the average

doesnt help that my first instinct when starting a game is to go backwards and checkout whats behind me

Deleted member 34714

Banned
Nov 28, 2017
I find myself on the faster side. I skip a lot of dialogs and go as fast as possible no matter game. With roguelikes/lite being my favorite type of games, I am always thinking how to become OP or break the game if possible.

DL Clyde

Oct 25, 2017
Slower, much slower. An example being Dishonored 2. Now I can't remember my play time off the top of my head but How Long to Beat says "Main + Extras" (probably the best to compare as I did objectives, side content that was on my way but never went too far out off the main story to do everything) on average is 22 and a half hours. I must have been close to 40, potentially over it.

I like to take my time and take it all in. If the game has a photomode then I'll spend some time with that too. Also for open world games that allow fast travel, usually try to avoid them if I can.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Faster. It's only because I play on lower difficulties. So, it's rare for me to have to replay sections.

Deleted member 46493

Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Faster. I play one game at a time and have a lot of free time. Can easily put in 2-3 hours a day and more on weekends. That adds up even if I take my time and don't rush.

I usually beat most games in one to two weeks.

Het_Nkik

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm way slower. For howlongtobeat I add like 10 extra hours for every 40 hours of game length to figure out how long it'll take me to beat it.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Slower, so much slower. The actual time playtime once I finish tends to be average, but I have a very hard time playing a single game at a time and frequently switch off for weeks or months at a time. And it has nothing to do with quality. I still haven't beaten some of my favorite games from this (or last, I suppose) gen, including Persona 5 and Horizon. I'm just impatient.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Typically faster by a few hours on most games. People still think I'm lying when I say it took me 30 hours each to beat Xenoblade 1 and 2.
The big thing for me is that I kind of have an idea on how gamedev works, so I kinda know what to bother with and what not to. You won't really see me soaking in the scenery for screenshots for example or doing all the side content even if it's filler.

Xenoblade 2 literally has 15 hours of mandatory cutscenes, and more if you do Blade Quests or watch any of the Heart-to-Hearts. So unless you skipped cutscenes (which is totally plausible), I can't see how you could have done that without going at a reckless speedrun pace.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
SLOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW

I am the personification of stopping to smell the roses. I like to take games at their most comfortable pace, but will often explore off the beaten path just to appreciate the work that goes into these things. Maybe a corner with interesting lighting, or bits of environmental storytelling, or even just a cool asset like a lamp, or a well designed balcony on a building, or a pattern or motif in the architecture, clothing, etc. Just all the details.

If its 6 hours to beat I'll do it in 15 unless its super-linear. Give me an open ended sandbox and I'll probably spend as much time as possible away from the main missions as I can manage.
Yup. This is why I would be a horrible streamer. But I love taking in the sights.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Xenoblade 2 literally has 15 hours of mandatory cutscenes, and more if you do Blade Quests or watch any of the Heart-to-Hearts. So unless you skipped cutscenes (which is totally plausible), I can't see how you could have done that without going at a reckless speedrun pace.

No skipping, just didn't do anything extra as I was on casual mode.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I...am...very...slow...at...beating...even...very,...very,...short...video...entertainment...games.

I take my time and get my moneys worth out of some games I enjoy.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
I am usually very similar to how long to beat website for the option of main game + extra side content. I never fast track the main game only and pretty much never do a completionist run, as I get bored of having nothing really new to do.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I'm a critical path guy so almost always faster. Generally I beat the "How long to beat?" time by 10-20%.

There are so many games I want to play that side content generally doesn't appeal much to me unless it's something really good.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
Average.

I used to be on the slow side, but then I realised why the hell am I wasting my time trying to collect everything? It's pointless.

It's not like SP games are hard enough that you need all the stuff to min max your character anyway. And collectibles are entirely a waste of time so no point searching for them.

Skyzar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've beaten maybe 5 story games in my life. Usually play arcade/puzzle games/racing ... but I rip through those.

In larger games I usually just like to check out the mechanics, try a few story and side quests then mess around and move on. I stick with a few if I really want to but it's not that common. It's hard for me to stick with something if I'm bored of it, just for the sake of completing it. Story and/or gameplay needs to be amazing.

shoptroll

May 29, 2018
Like a lot of things in life, definitely slower. I consistently run behind the HLTB average on most games I've played.

NullPointer

Oct 27, 2017
Mars
Yup. This is why I would be a horrible streamer. But I love taking in the sights.
Just last week I was utterly transfixed by the work that went into the city of Meridian in Horizon Zero Dawn. Specifically the repeated architectural motifs and clothing and colors, but also functional infrastructure like the great elevators and the various water channels, and the songs and chants of the solar cult and their ritual movements through dusk and dawn. Just an incredible amount of artistry and detail there to soak in and enjoy for anybody who stops for a while to take it all in.

I honestly believe that those off-the-beaten-path details are often some of the best and most memorable parts of games.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Slower. I'm off doing tons of side quests, often aiming for 100%, taking tons of pictures and clips as I explore every nook and cranny.

Titanish

Apr 2, 2019
Almost always faster, except FPSs, which I suck at.
Being a speedrunner, I feel satisfaction from feeling fast, and I often try to learn quick menuing or speed tech even in first playthroughs.

King of Cups

Oct 27, 2017
I'm generally slower because even though I don't have a ton of time to play, I really like appreciating the work that goes into creating these things. As long I'm having a good time, it's all good.

(Though if I'm admit 50 or so hours in and it starts to meander, I definitely push harder on the critical path.)

Nov 14, 2017
Much slower IMO. I take my time with games and don't have a ton of free time so I'm just slow playing games too.

El-Suave

Oct 27, 2017
Slower I'd say, my gaming sessions are probably shorter than average that's why the number of days I need to complete a game is increased. I also play as I like and never pay attention to efficency when going for a platinum trophy, that's why my time to platinum is probably longer as well.