• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

How was your meal?

• Great!

Votes: 190 76.9%
  • To be honest....it was garbage

Votes: 33 13.4%
  • Id like to send it back

Votes: 24 9.7%

• Total voters

Prophet Five

Pundeath Knight
Nov 11, 2017
The Great Dark Beyond
I'll say it was good even if it wasn't - unless something was completely and totally wrong. And if it wasn't I just won't order it again and/or go back.

And even then with respect and courtesy because the server and staff most likely didn't go out of their way to ruin my night or whatever.

Be nice to retail/food service people.

And before some smart ass says it: "be nice to everyone" yeah, yeah. We know, champ.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Being polite makes the next person suffer

If my Coke tastes like Diet Coke or club soda I def tell them. Can't think of any food problems lately

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I rarely don't enjoy a meal so yeah i'm honest. If i'm not enjoying it i just that i chose bad

Feb 22, 2018
Once I ordered a potato salad, I found a rock in it, I told waitress about it. She brought out the chef and manager. They apologized about it. They gave me a free Entree and free dessert. So yes if there's anything wrong with my dish I let the waiter waitress know about it politely.

sersteven

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia
That statement from the article is weird.

If a meal is mediocre I'm not gonna complain about it, especially if there was nothing objectively "wrong" with it.

I do think it is indeed rude to not complain about a meal and then go be a food critic online. That hurts the resturaunt, the servers (who often suffer for bad reviews for not being telepaths) and the kitchen staff. Give the business a chance to fix the mistake if its legitimate, before leaving a permanent marr on their reputation online.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
I try to be polite and not make their day any harder than it needs to be. I'll generally say "good" if the food and/or service was sub-par, and "great"/"excellent" if it truly was really good. If the service itself sucked, I'll tip less but I won't stiff the waiter/waitress for problems with the food/menu.

I've never found a meal or service at a restaurant to be worth getting too worked up about, much less making a scene. People make mistakes and I'm the king when it comes to that, so I try to be pretty easygoing in general.

EDIT: But yeah, if something is wrong with my meal or drink order, I'll politely bring it up to the server immediately and generally it all gets sorted out without any trouble.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I'm not usually one to complain much about food service, but once I was at a local steakhouse and my ribeye was super bland and pretty cold, so I mentioned it to the waitress. I said I was just letting them know so the cooks would know for next time, I was still planning to pay and tip a little because the waitress had no part in that.

Then the owner came out and apologized profusely, and spotted me a free Prime Rib as an apology. It was, sadly, also kinda bland but at that point I just said it was great and left lol.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
it's like being asked how your day is going. though startup restaurants tend to genuinely want to know what you think

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay so far, it looks like I'm among like-minded souls who are too polite to bother people. Phew.
The server doesn't care if you hated your food, they only care if you got what you needed and tip them.

If the kitchen is slinging subpar food and your fourth table of the night says the clam chowder tastes like pee, and you served tables 1-3 clam you're gonna wonder why those people didn't say anything. Especially when the clam does indeed taste off.

After reading most of the replies here, you all really aren't being as polite or helpful as you think. You do you though, not trying to sound like I'm shaming anyone.

Deleted member 55568

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
I've never had bad food at a restaurant.

I've had food I didn't like. Meaning trying something new, and that thing isn't for me. But that isn't the restaurant's responsibility to fix.

I've never had a situation where a thing was bad because somebody fucked up.

ISWThunder

Oct 30, 2017
If something is really trash, or completely wrong, I'll say something. Otherwise, I'll probably just eat it.

Had terrible fries at a restaurant recently. When asked, I told the server that the burger was really good, but the fries were cold and bad. He took 'em back and took it off the bill. He didn't seem too surprised by the complaint.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I say it's good if it's at least passable. Great if it's great. If I have an issue I take the chance to mention it tactfully. Not too complicated.

OP
OP
-JD-

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not usually one to complain much about food service, but once I was at a local steakhouse and my ribeye was super bland and pretty cold, so I mentioned it to the waitress. I said I was just letting them know so the cooks would know for next time, I was still planning to pay and tip a little because the waitress had no part in that.

Then the owner came out and apologized profusely, and spotted me a free Prime Rib as an apology. It was, sadly, also kinda bland but at that point I just said it was great and left lol.

Yeah in that scenario you got the most out of that kind of exchange, though now I like to imagination what could've happened if you actually told them it was bland the second time as well. Lol.

affeinvasion

Oct 26, 2017
I can't remember the last time I went somewhere where the food was so bad I actually took issue with it. There are places I won't go back to, but they're not going to make it better if I ask for a second helping. They just suck at food.

LosDaddie

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Longwood, FL
As someone who has worked in the service industry in the last, yup. Always honest with our servers.

OP
OP
-JD-

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The server doesn't care if you hated your food, they only care if you got what you needed and tip them.

If the kitchen is slinging subpar food and your fourth table of the night says the clam chowder tastes like pee, and you served tables 1-3 clam you're gonna wonder why those people didn't say anything. Especially when the clam does indeed taste off.

After reading most of the replies here, you all really aren't being as polite or helpful as you think. You do you though, not trying to sound like I'm shaming anyone.

In my heart I know you're right, as many other posters have said similar as you, but at this point in life I think I'm just set in my ways. Lol

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
I always say it is good. Even if it is mediocre. I will say something if the food is horrible, like raw or something, and if the order was messed up. Otherwise, I'm not trying to give the server a hard time.

Deleted member 8468

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In my heart I know you're right, as many other posters have said similar as you, but at this point in life I think I'm just set in my ways. Lol
And there's nothing wrong with that either! I truly hope your food never comes out royally fucked. I've seen some shockers actually hit the table (mostly way overcooked stuff, nothing especially gross).

shiftplusone

Oct 25, 2017
I mean when it was bad, of course. At a restaurant, or maybe even in a social gathering/dinner at someone's home.

Turns out I've actually been rude this whole time by being polite and saying it was good when it wasn't.

I mean, that article seems to claim its rude because you're gonna go home and give them a bad yelp review

I dont personally know anyone who sucks enough to post on yelp though

House_Of_Lightning

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If it is inedible? Yes. Like... Last time I sent something back it was a bowl of étouffée at an oyster place in Jackson, MS. Tasted like someone dumped a whole shaker of salt in it. Chef came out and apologized and everything.

If I just don't like it... or it's something that is just simply not done with skill then I just suck it up and usually don't come back.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Unless it's so bad that I feel the chef should know about it (which has only ever happened once), I just say it was good to save the trouble.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If it's bad and has something really wrong with it I will let them know. Other than that they will usually get the usual "It was good. Thank you."

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Only sent back food twice.

Ordered a steak at Outback medium rare, came out well done. I didn't even complain that much but the manager was so nice. He covered the entire bill except alcohol and brought a new steak. It was a still a little overcooked for my taste but I wasn't going to complain anymore.

Red Robin ordered a burger that took 45 minutes. When I got it the burger was cold. Obviously it was sitting in the window for a while. Again the manager covered the bill and brought out a new burger for me.

This was on the heels of watching a lot of Kitchen Nightmare episodes when I realized you can actually send food back if it's not to your liking.

joe1138

Oct 28, 2017
I honestly don't think I've ever had an outright terrible meal at a restaurant so I'm honest when asked.

Now, bad service on the other hand...

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I've only had to return one meal I believe. It was a steak from Applebees (yeah, I know) that you couldn't even cut with their steak knife. Demonstrated in front of the waitress, and I got a new steak that looked so much better than the first.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
Depends on how bad the food is. If it's something I'm not going to eat I will say something, if not I usually just eat it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
food quality honesty? that's childsplay. i've rated a strippers lapdance when they were on me.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
The order would have to be straight up wrong or outright inedible for me to complain.

Steak overdone? Chicken club too dry? Fries soggy? Feh. Nobody's perfect.

ishan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it's not good, I send it back.
yeah if its shit I complain about it and ask for a replacement. But things have to be really poor or very wrongly done (eg If i always order one dish at a place I know when its wrong etc.). Otherwise yeah I just go meh unless its super wrong in which case ask for a refund/replacement.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Yes, but I sandwich the criticism with two compliments.
"The meal was great. Eggplant was a bit too spicy, but overall everything was good."

SpinierBlakeD

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2018
I'd rather eat undercooked/poorly prepared food than engage in a conversation with a stranger. Most the time I just nod and give a thumbs up when they ask how my food is

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
How was everything?
tenor.gif

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
If it is a place that isn't known for being great (aka, cheap places that you go to hangout and not to have a gastronomic orgasm) I will just say it was fine and move on.

If it's a place that I am visiting because I am interested in the food, I will say its fine, leave and never come back.

If it's a place I go constantly I will tell the truth, including the 'I always come here and X Y and Z were great today but W was tasteless, no flavor".

If I am at someone's home? Fucking hell, I will always say that it is good.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
My palate is pretty undiscriminating, so I've never really found any food I've gotten in a restaurant objectionable enough to make comment over. When I was a kid though, I had just gotten a new watch recently, so I timed how long our food took from the time the waiter took our order until we received our plates, and found that they'd breached their 30 minute guarantee, by maybe one or two minutes. I made note of that to the waiter, to my parents' chagrin. We did get the promised discount on the food.

Gwenpoolshark

Jan 5, 2018
The Pool
I feel like anyone who's worked in the service industry knows better than to do this to someone unless it seems absolutely necessary. I don't complain unless something really egregious has happened.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
97% of the time I liked what I ordered so I will typically say it's good.

If I really enjoyed something, I will let them know.

So my range generally goes from 8 - 10, kind of like the gaming side scale where if a game scores below an 8, it's absolutely trash. I'd say the last time I had something that bad was probably 8 years ago.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Rarely is the food ever bad. The worse is mediocrity. I just say it was good. It's just social pleasantries. I'm not going to tell the server anything critical. For what? They don't cook the food.

I just won't return to the establishment.

Yeah this is what I do.

The only time I would have things go back is when they give me the wrong order which happened like 2 or 3 times that I can remember lol

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
You stack all the empty dishes
Believe it or not, there's a method to the madness of bussing a table. Waiters and restaurant staff are trained in the best way to gather, clean, and sort dishes. If you stack up all the plates, bowls, and silverware—and then toss napkins on top of the pile—you're making a bigger mess for your server or the person who has to clear the dishes from your table.

Oh. Whoops.

Deleted member 31199

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If I am unsure of something I will usually ask for a sample. Things have to be abhorrent for me to be brutally honest.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Sometimes a condiment or side dish is missing and I'll ask for it. If I ask for no cheese on something and it comes out completely smothered in it I'll ask it to be remade, but I really hate having to do so. I'm going to do my best not to make the server or kitchen staff's job any harder, because I know just how stressful the job is.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
As a polite person but also someone who considers themselves a decent home cook... if my burger or steak is cooked past medium (I order it medium rare), I send it it back every time. Don't ask me how I want something cooked if you have no intention of cooking it how I ordered it.