• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
www.engadget.com

The Freewrite Traveler is a lovely (and flawed) e-ink typewriter

The Freewrite Traveler is a good tool for distraction-free writing on the go, but it's expensive.

dims

In a few short days it will be November again, and nearly 800,000 people will attempt to write a novel as part of National Novel Writing Month. Some will succeed but many will fail, with no shortage of excuses: They didn't have time, they got distracted, they didn't get any good ideas or the right tools for it. People will often invest in new computers or software to enable their dream of being a novelist, but they don't really solve many of the above problems. One such tool is Astrohaus' e-ink typewriter Freewrite, which creates a dedicated writing environment free of distraction. However, its size is an inconvenience for those who like to be inspired on the go. The new $599 Freewrite Traveler should solve that last problem, at least — though you'll still need to do the hard work of actually writing.

It is a warp speed advancement from it's predecessor. No these aren't quirky forgotten 80s tech, both of these were designed in the last 5 years.

61uO9FW9LAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

MrRob

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'll only charge $200 to lock you in my basement with a type writer.
Very good deal. I won't even distract you with food.

Relic

Oct 28, 2017
This looks almost identical to some bizarre digital/portable typewriter my dad would use to write on the bus circa 2004. I believe it was around $40 on black friday because nobody wanted it.

Deleted member 29691

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Neat concept but surely there is a cheap/free way to lock down a laptop with enough discipline. Or shut off your wifi 🤷

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
$600 and the review said that there's noticeable delay between when you press a key and when the letter appears on the screen, making it hard to notice typos. Seems way too expensive for what it's offering.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It looks cool, but isn't this just a portable electric typewriter? The screen also looks distractingly small.

You could probably lock down a chromebook or something for much less. Or even repurpose an old netbook.

$600 and the review said that there's noticeable delay between when you press a key and when the letter appears on the screen, making it hard to notice typos. Seems way too expensive for what it's offering.
Oh hell, I HATE it when a word processor does this. This would be a dealbreaker for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
So guilty of not writing when I should. Although $600 is wayy over-priced.

Probably because it's e-ink (those have slow refresh rate). But I bet it's jarring for a machine made just for typing--and at $600 too!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
My procrastination hot tip. Set 5-10min timers to write with 10min timer for a break.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Life indeed keeps getting in the way but my 600 will go to my ps5 instead. Actually i suppose i do alright with the wiring thing. Nearing finishing my second 100k+ book this year alone... So even if i had a spare 600 i likely wouldn't get that :p

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Why is this eInk? This could be done with LEDs or monochrome LCDs and be sold for $30.

Because it's eInk. So dumb.

siteseer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what is a type writer and what does it do?

for the people that know about these things i scored a complete very well kept 1960s hermes 3000 at a flea market for 15$ not too long ago. getting it felt like winning a small lottery.

Oct 29, 2017
Why would you target me like this.

This is really, really cool but I don't think it's for me. I'm weird and I like writing on my phone in the apple notes app lol...It's the typing environment I'm most efficient in, for some reason.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I came in here thinking that you were going to offer your ghostwriting services for Era members who had papers due.

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
You could also use this one-of-a-kind writing tool to write distraction free!

53_GettyImages-471783388.jpg

(The person who referred to me this $10.00 gadget assures me that this is not scam . . . . can somebody verify?)

Fatoy

Mar 13, 2019
I see the value in this, but typing on a mechanical keyboard anywhere other than a quiet home office is guaranteed to make people hate you.

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
Like the idea but the price is ridiculous for the function it serves.

Should just by a cheap laptop, uninstall everything, and never connect it to your(or any) network.