• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 19844

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
It's not the same thing as going out for a meal and you know it. Sometimes people need something like this. This isn't going to be a super common thing, it's a unique situation that happens rarely but it justifies the discussion imo.

And, as I said, as a waiter who worked for tips (I was on under £4 an hour there), it was perfectly okay with me.
The scenario you're arguing for (people with utterly horrible lives that have enough money to cover the meal but not enough to cover the tip, and for whom the experience of eating out at a restaurant is *needed* to assuage their condition, but for whom ordering the food to go and eating at a park doesn't provide relief) comes off as ridiculous at worst and rare to the point of irrelevance at best.

Deleted member 6949

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't tip in the US you aren't just cheap, you are a fucking asshole and should be ashamed of yourself. The system is trash and it needs to change, but stiffing a minimum wage worker isn't helping anyone.

Sensei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
you should tip in america

capitalist class made it so that youre evil if you dont pay their workers for them lol

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America pretty much takes the stance of this is how it is, it shouldn't be this way but nobody will change it.

This applies to tipping, health care and gun regulations and probably other stuff too.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
when i visit the U.S i tip because that's how it is in your country but i don't follow all those bullshit rules people said i must, like percentages. i just tip what i feel is right for the service i was offered.

in germany i only tip bartender (specifically places i am frequently at, like my fav metal/rock bars etc), and the friseur. also if something is delivered but the delivery doesn't include "to the door", then I ask the delivery person(s) if they can carry it up for me to my apartment - most people in germany that are < 40 at least do not live in ground floor homes/houses, so things are delivered technically to the kerb, so if it's an apartment building the delivery doesn't mean they take it all the way up or w/e, that's why I ask and if they agree, i tip them, usually 5-10 euros per person. that's usually stuff like TVs or w/e.

i feel like a tip is that for doing work outside of your normal expected work, like the delivery example, or tipping a place I like to support a little extra of the people that work there that are "institutions" like local bars and my friseur. never tip at places like chains, makes no sense.

Last edited:

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
For people who have been servers: Did your weekly income vary drastically or did it pretty much stay even? Forget about holidays for a moment, just baseline. I'm curious.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Restaurant waitstaff are The Rich?

When I worked as a server out of college, oh man let me tell you I was ROLLING IN IT. $2.13 an hour, stupid cheap ass chucklefucks stiffing me 2-3 times a day, and yet as amazing as that sounds I haven't even gotten to the best part - FREE SHIFT MEALS.

source.gif

Oh yeah, man, I was livin' that high life. Me and Bezos, we were two of a kind. I hope the revolution spares me.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
For people who have been servers: Did your weekly income vary drastically or did it pretty much stay even? Forget about holidays for a moment, just baseline. I'm curious.

It was pretty consistent only because the number of people stiffing you on the bills remained relatively consistent. There were always outliers, though, with weekends where I'd bring home 50% more or 30% less or something.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The scenario you're arguing for (people with utterly horrible lives that have enough money to cover the meal but not enough to cover the tip, and for whom the experience of eating out at a restaurant is *needed* to assuage their condition, but for whom ordering the food to go and eating at a park doesn't provide relief) comes off as ridiculous at worst and rare to the point of irrelevance at best.
It's going against the idea that EVERY person needs to tip or they should stay home. So, no, it's countering that with a realistic and fair scenario.

Your park talk is the silly thing here, imo.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
It's going against the idea that EVERY person needs to tip or they should stay home. So, no, it's countering that with a realistic and fair scenario.

It isn't realistic to say that anybody needs to not tip. There are tipless earing options that are also pleasurable. If the experience of being waited on is so valuable, why wouldn't the waitstaff deserve compensation?

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Is the standard tip in the US 20%? Cause that's pretty high, unless the food there is considerably cheaper than the rest of the world. And what do you do if the service was good but the food was terrible, bad, etc,.?

This whole process sucks for both the consumers and the waiters who have to rely on tips. If your meal cost 10 dollars, an extra $2 is probably not a big deal, but if its something like a $50 meal, the extra 20% is not negligible for those who don't live comfortably but would like to go out for a decent meal. This also gets tricky if it's in something like a nightclub where the prices are ridiculous and your bill is +$1000, does the waiter then really deserve a +$200 tip?

Last edited:

TitanicFall

Nov 12, 2017
Tip culture is weird especially within the bar and food service industry. It's like the system exists to remove responsibility from employers to pay their employees well and places it on the customer. A living wage should be worked out between the staff and their employers. Most people don't tip the service technician that's repairs your car, you know the thing that's responsible for getting you safely back and forth to work every day, but heaven forbid that server that brought you a dinner plate and some drinks not get their 15-20%. Now I'm fine with rewarding someone for a job well done, but the expectation is silly.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Is the standard tip in the US 20%? Cause that's pretty high, unless the food there is considerably cheaper than the rest of the world. And what do you do if the service was good but the food was terrible, bad, etc,.?

This whole process sucks for both the consumers and the waiters who have to rely on tips. If your meal cost 10 dollars, an extra $2 is probably not a big deal, but if its something like a $50 meal, the extra 20% is not negligible for those who don't live comfortably but would like to go out for a decent meal. This also gets tricky if it's in something like a nightclub where the prices are ridiculous and your bill is +$1000, are the waiter then really deserve a +$200 tip?
I would argue if you can afford a $50 meal, you could also take a slightly cheaper option (like getting tap water instead of a drink) and pay the tip, honestly. That is what I would do, at least.

Broken Hope

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I find weird about tipping is that it's percentage based, it's the same work if I order a $1000 bottle of wine or a $10 yet I'm supposed to tip way more?

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You to the server but talk to the manager about the food. The tip isn't really meant for the BOH since they get paid at least minimum wage; servers don't.
This is precious since we all know in practice FOH makes way more than BOH in almost any setting, even when taking into account customers who don't tip. With that said, if for whatever reason you do not make it to hourly minimum wage with tips as FOH, your employer has to pay the difference to get your wage to minimum. It's imaginable that many FOH staff might not even know this since it's unlikely they've ever landed at below minimum wage after tips.

People love to bitch and moan about tipping but nobody really gives a shit about how overworked and underpaid BOH is, where best case scenario they get a minuscule share of FOH tips, consistently still putting them well below the pay FOH gets.

The truth is FOH staff work directly with customers and get insanely salty as they take getting stiffed as some kind of personal slight, when in reality you know damn well you're generally making bank for unskilled work, that's why you're working as a server and not a minimum wage job somewhere else.

OmniStrife

Dec 11, 2017
lol I do still always tip, and I symphathize, I just think the system screws with everyone involved and helps very little compared to places like Japan or countries in EU where they don't tip and have proper wages and social safety nets.

What I mean to say is, that waiters be exploited for $2/hr because of this fucked up system.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
When you talk about not tipping for "moral reasons," imagine in your head that you are at a restaurant in America explaining to your server why you've opted not to tip them. Imagine their eyes glazing over as you explain why you're not participating in the "broken" system. Imagine the thoughts running through their head: "I guess my kid has to eat PB&J all week." "I can't even get a beer after this double-shift." "I would strangle your dumb ass, but then I'd be fired from my only meager source of income." Even if you think it's a bad system, you're not making a difference by not tipping. You're just screwing up someone's plans.

While I'm generally in favor of changing the tipping system, another poster has reminded me of a big knock against it: companies suck ass. When I worked as a server, we had the usual tip jar plus an option for tips on credit/debit payments. Cash tips were doled out at the end of the night, credit tips were distributed in cash at the end of each pay period along with standard pay checks. Very suddenly, credit card tips (which usually came out to around $200) started decreasing dramatically for no apparent reason. A couple of weeks later, a fellow server was promoted to a manager position. He wasn't filling a vacancy; the position was created. As he was a fellow server, he let me in on a piece of information: instead of altering the budget or decreasing payouts to the ownership, they had decided to pay the difference between his server salary and his manager salary out of the whole team's credit card tips. Who would know? This is why I ALWAYS tip cash rather than on a card if I happen to have some on-hand.

This is all to say that employers frequently treat their employers like crap and want to maximize profits. Capitalism, baby! I understand the impulse to want to keep a large portion of your income out of their reach to prevent malfeasance, but that depends on literally everyone else playing ball. It should still change, but it obviously needs to be done in ways that hold employers accountable to their employees.

That sounds illegal (the taking the credit card tips and not paying it out to employees). Is there no law against that? Did you guys split the pot evenly or did you distribute according to the tips left on the tables you waited on(which I would think would be the case even though it means more paperwork)?

Felt

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Wat lol. Yes anyone that doesn't tip shouldn't be at a restaurant.

although I hate tipping culture it is what it is. Just assume before you decide to go that the food has an 18%+ service charge that you must add yourself but if you are so disgusted by the service you received you may reduce that charge as you wish.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
This is precious since we all know in practice FOH makes way more than BOH in almost any setting, even when taking into account customers who don't tip. With that said, if for whatever reason you do not make it to hourly minimum wage with tips, your employer has to pay the difference to get your wage to minimum.

People love to bitch and moan about tipping but nobody really gives a shit about how overworked and underpaid BOH is, where best case scenario they get a minuscule share of FOH tips, consistently still putting them well below the pay FOH gets.

This is the truth. When the kitchen gets in the weeds, the BOH gets shat on. When the line is running smooth though, BOH never gets the credit.

I will say that the FOH should get more because they are the "face" of the restaurant as the interaction point, but BOH never gets the recognition they deserve.

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
For brain teasing's sake, imagine you're buying clothes. There's this nice deal on a sweet hoodie that's 39 dollars as opposed to the usual 60. Apply taxes to it, and then there's also the moral obligation of leaving another 20% or so to the dude in the shop who did his paid job.

Imagine going out to buy some medicines. You've got your pack of aspinires, apply tax, but then you also have to pay an extra because the cashier used 30 seconds of his paid time to handle the cash register.

Think about going to GameStop to buy a videogame, maybe the guy who works there even gives you a suggestion about which game would fit your tastes best. Game's a steal price-wise, but apply taxes and a 20% or higher tip and suddenly it's not that much of a steal anymore.

Imagine if your kids' teachers required them to bring money for them every morning when you're already paying for the school service, be that through taxes or actual upfront payments.

You don't pay for something that's already paid for. You can do it as a courtesy if the job allows accepting payments (the teacher example is off in that sense because they couldn't accept a tip), but it should never ever be mandatory. If a place wants to mandate tips, they should say so and adjust the prices accordingly. This drink is normally 10 dollars but since we give a 25% tip to the waiters it's 12.50, and indeed 2.50 then goes to the waiter. But hiding extra costs behind moral guilt trips is a fucking terrible practice that, understandably, is not present in most civilized countries.
Maybe you just shouldn't eat out?

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Naw. And don't feel shamed or pressured. Tipping is part of a broken system. You can choose to partake or not. It doesn't change how decent you are as a person.

It's like when you order takeout: it is the same price even though the cost of the food includes a customer's ass in the chair price.

Deleted member 36086

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Tipping is part of the cost of the meal. Prices for food are what they are because of tips. I've been to restaurants that tell you in the menu that prices are higher because they got rid of tipping. I'm also a landlord and one of my tenants is a restaurant and the owner has told me that he's had to raise food prices when he increased base wages.

The way I look at it, if you don't tip, you're giving yourself a discount on the meal.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

Yes, because a picnic in the park just won't soothe out the rough edges of a live in poverty like forcing another poor person to serve you for free.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you just shouldn't eat out?

I eat out, very often in fact, and I often leave generous tips. Luckily I don't live in a country where tipping is morally mandatory because this way I can tip when it's in any way deserved. I tip at restaurants, takeaways, pizza guys, sometimes even at bars. Making me feel like shit for not doing it sometimes because the guy working there isn't getting paid enough... well, it's not my job. I work as an internal IT at a company. It's not like I get 5-10 Euros whenever I restart someone's computer or change their toner because I am already paid for my job, and it's not other people's job to pay me for doing my job in hours I am already being paid for.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
I eat out, very often in fact, and I often leave generous tips. Luckily I don't live in a country where tipping is morally mandatory because this way I can tip when it's in any way deserved. I tip at restaurants, takeaways, pizza guys, sometimes even at bars. Making me feel like shit for not doing it sometimes because the guy working there isn't getting paid enough... well, it's not my job. I work as an internal IT at a company. It's not like I get 5-10 Euros whenever I restart someone's computer or change their toner because I am already paid for my job, and it's not other people's job to pay me for doing my job in hours I am already being paid for.
Your entire argument falls apart when you realize that you the person you keep saying "did his paid job" ignores the fact it is YOUR responsibility to pay him for the job he did. All those other examples you gave have the person being paid for the work by the employer. That's not the case with waiters/waitress'/bartenders. You took their service, and didn't pay for it. Yes you can make the argument that the system is stupid and complicated if your not accustomed to it, but that's the current system. If you agree to participate in it (by going to a restaurant) you agree to pay via the system in place. If you don't tip then you have not fully paid for the service, and are doing nothing but screwing over the waiter/waitress. You voluntarily agreed to accept a service and not pay for it. You can argue against the way you pay for it all you want, but you flat out did NOT pay for the service you were given. Justify it all you want, but that's what it comes down to. If you knowingly do this, you're an asshole (general "you") and screwing over the people that bring you your food.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
In America, absolutely. Not tipping doesn't "fix" the broken systems of the service industry, it only hurts the servers. If you're adamant on fixing the system, VOTE TO FIX THE SYSTEM y increasing minimum wage across the board (even for workers in the service industry).
Not tipping is not cool.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
"Go eat in the park if you're too poor"
"You don't have to pay for people doing a job for you if your too poor"
"Im too poor, mow my yard for free. Im too poor, weed my garden for free. Im too poor, clean my house for free, it will be an escape from my stressful life" etc etc. That's what your advocating for.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
"You don't have to pay for people doing a job for you if your too poor"
"Im too poor, mow my yard for free. Im too poor, weed my garden for free. Im too poor, clean my house for free, it will be an escape from my stressful life" etc etc. That's what your advocating for.

Let's be accurate to your scenario -- it should read: "Go eat in the park if you're too poor to afford a tip, but rich enough to afford the food, and if your existence is utterly horrible, and if restaurant food is the only thing that would soothe out the rough edges of your existence."
I've explained my piece, as someone who worked for a decent time in that industry and was directly affected by this I consider it fair.

It was always clear when people could not afford much, I've even turned down tips from people who were counting pennies who had ordered cheap meals and water.

It works both ways.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
I've explained my piece, as someone who worked for a decent time in that industry and was directly affected by this I consider it fair.

It was always clear when people could not afford much, I've even turned down tips from people who were counting pennies who had ordered cheap meals and water.

It works both ways.
I would be furious if my tip was refused because I looked poor

Zarathustra

Oct 27, 2017
Notice how it's the paying customer who's an 'asshole', whereas people who knowingly work a job that fucks the paying customer and allows them to evade their taxes are somehow the 'working class' (always assuming the customer is 'upper class'). I call this 'class treason' for a variety of reasons.

I've accepted the fact it's another awfully and solely American stupid thing (like guns) but the amount of people from the states defending it just because 'it's the system man', is staggering.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017

It works both ways.
Which is very kind of you and very thoughtful. But you should never EXPECT someone to do that, and you should never FORCE someone to do something nice. Maybe that server was also having a shitty day or barely able to pay the bills... you let the server make that choice.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

It works both ways.

You've worked in the service industry in a different country with a different cultural norm for tipping. It is not the same as the culture we have here in the US. I see that you are using your history as a vocal point to emphasize that tipping isn't mandatory. Let's just be clear that your experience working service industry in the UK is not closely the same.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Notice how it's the paying customer who's an 'asshole', whereas people who knowingly work a job that fucks the paying customer and allows them to evade their taxes are somehow the 'working class' (always assuming the customer is 'upper class'). I call this 'class treason' for a variety of reasons.

I've accepted the fact it's another awfully and solely American stupid thing (like guns) but the amount of people from the states defending it just because 'it's the system man', is staggering.
Because the customer KNOWS they are obligated to tip as they know that's how that person gets paid.
Does it really matter if:
Your total bill is $24 when tips aren't a thing and the server is paid directly from the business
vs
Your "Bill" is $20 with the expectation of a roughly $4 tip

Your still paying $24. Skipping the tip is just stiffing the server.

Deleted member 17402

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These threads are so funny. I always see people assume that all waitstaff are barely getting by and don't have a "livable wage." Of course this depends on the area you're in, but you can say that about any profession. Here in NYC, go ask a server if they'd prefer to be salaried or tipped. You'd be surprised to hear that a lot of them prefer the latter. Why? Because many actually end up making quite a bit of money. Not everyone is barely getting by just because they rely on tips. They're probably better off than you, and I say this as someone who relied on tips and worked in hospitality for years.

Should you tip? Yeah. But I'm way past the idea of guilt tripping people who don't.