• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd even say that if this system of unwritten arbitrary social conventions for people to tip can't withstand a portion of people not tipping, it's fundamentally flawed. If wait staff are put into financial hardship because of a minority of customers opting not to tip, the system is obviously not fit for purpose. Which is probably why almost every single industry in the US, and every single industry in other countries, does not use this system.
No one thinks wages for restaurant workers are fair but you aren't changing that by not tipping. Many people have tried to operate restaurants in the US that do not accept tips and they always fail.

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've been poor enough during periods of my life that I had to live out of my car. I've never not tipped when eating at a sit down establishment. It was never the server's fault that I was poor any more than it's yours or my fault that the server has to rely on tips because the restaurant industry is gross and exploitative.

In America, tipping has to be considered part of the bill; it's not really optional from any moral standpoint. The idea that there are just tons and tons of people out there who can somehow afford a nice dinner but not even a 10% tip just strikes me as weird and completely fabricated; if money's that tight, get a cheaper entree, or skip the dessert, or go to a restaurant where tips aren't an issue; there are plenty of them.

If restaurant owners started paying their servers a living wage, enough that they didn't need tips, the price of your meal would, by your own argument, suddenly be out of your reach anyway; if you can't afford a 10% tip, you can't afford a 10% increase in menu prices. No restaurant is going to start paying their employees $10-15/hr more, so they don't need tips, without a commensurate increase in menu pricing. Very few restaurants could even survive doing that, and the ones that could are already out of the price range of most people.

So you're basically arguing that you should be able to exploit the current system to get a nice dinner without ever having to actually pay for the service you're being provided by the most exploited people in the entire process; you're demanding free labor from others because you can't afford their service, and acting like anyone pointing this out is just mocking you or others for being poor.

Sorry, not buying it.

I'd advise you to read the entire quote chain between me and Kirblar, because that isn't what happened, and I'm not talking about myself either.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to budget for the tip when they go out. Figure out how much you want to spend on a night out and then work backwards from there to figure out how much food + tip you can afford. On a lower end meal a 10% is probably enough.

That said I hate tipping because of the extra complications it causes, but it's not that hard to figure out especially when you are used to the culture.

I agree. No matter how poor you are, you have to budget for the meal you're about to eat, including tax, so I think saving up an extra 10% of the cost before going out is reasonable and not classist. The difference of course is that stuff like tax is mandatory and tipping is still optional, but in American society it's a reasonable expectation of going to a restaurant. That extra amount isn't going to prevent someone from celebrating a birthday.

Having said that, I fully understand someone who is poor not tipping. That seems like a side discussion, though, because the OP is talking about "people who don't tip for moral reasons" and not "people who don't tip because they absolutely can't afford to."

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
My point is, he did take the side of the corporations. I'm not replying to everyone in the thread, I'm replying to him.

I'm also not saying that poor people should never tip. Many poor people tip every time and that's great. Tipping is not an expectation at all in most casual restaurants/cafes etc here, and yet I still tip, sometimes generously if the customer service is great. This is not about me, or the system as a whole. I responded to someone who told poor people who can't afford to tip to stay at home and make a sandwich. That is what I've been responding to. I find that statement really harmful as someone who has both grown up in poverty and also suffered from depression and anxiety for over a decade due to a life of trauma, abuse and marginalisation. I know there are dark days where a treat is really the only thing I can find to lift myself out of harmful thoughts. Should people like me be denied that if on a certain day they can't spare the extra dollars, but can pay for their meal?

Targeting your vitriol at people like that is extremely misguided. They are struggling and trying to make ends meet too, and are not breaking any laws.
I grew up in a poor family. When we wanted to go to a restaurant my folks would save up until they had enough money to pay for everything they were obligated to pay. Most of the time McDonalds was seen as a "treat" (cause we couldn't afford a restaurant), and when we did go to a restaurant my folks made sure they still had enough money for the tip. If you cant afford it, don't go.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, what even is this. It's not about unwillingness, it's about not having the money to cover the extra 20%.

Why on earth is this the fight to pick, anyway? If the real issue is the rich assholes who can tip but don't, spend your ire there.
I didn't pick it. No one was talking about this until Mist came into the thread with a bizarre "you are being so mean to the poor people and this is classism" take that no one else was talking about prior.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I don't understand why the tip should depend on the amount payed for food. Since this is seemingly a unpreventable labour issue in America, how about if the servers have cost per minute worked, and you tip them based on the time they spend serving you?

Oct 26, 2017
Its amazing how often people want to get on their pretend high horse and rant about fighting the broken system and how it's better in Europe. I hope these people also tell the temperature in Celsius and only measure things in Meters and KGs. Also, I hope they spell words like "colour" and "favourite". Or maybe they only fight the system when it saves them money and they get to pretend their reasoning is to fight the system

I do all of these whilst gulping down my free-refills of insulin and not worrying about idiots with guns.

Get with the times, old man.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends how bad. If it's just shitty service I lower the tip a bit. If it's genuinely awful I tip nothing.

Only time I ever refused to tip was when our waiter, obviously coming to the end of his shift, just stood next to our table rudely interrupting us ("are you finished with that?" - half a plate still there) eating and conversing so he could close the bill. No politeness to it whatsoever. If he's just said "I'm really sorry to bother you, but..." and was straight up about it, we'd have had no problem.

Then there was some shit with the card machine that he blamed on my colleague's card until he tried mine and it also failed, so had to dig around for enough cash (didn't apologise).

The food was merely passable for the price, as well.

Maybe it was a bit harsh, and there was some red mist, but my attitude was "well if you're going to rush us, then I'll save you some time by not working out the tip".

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Do you think "do not shoplift" should just be a social convention, or do you think it should be a law?

I think making "do not shoplift" a law with explicit policies around it, makes things much simpler than having "do not shoplift" simply a social convention with complicated rules surrounding what type of shoplifting makes someone "a dick".

Keep moving those goalposts.

Queue systems are a social convention, and cutting in queue makes you a dick.
Politeness is a social convention, and yelling at a teller for doing their job makes you a dick.
Having a blinker on for a parking spot is a social convention, and stealing that parking spot makes you a dick.

"Oh, but how can I deal with all these complicated social conventions!?"

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
If your argument for being an asshole and not paying for services rendered is solely "because its not technically illegal" then idk what to tell you. There are all kinds of unmoral things that are legal, doesn't make them right.
That's not what I said at all.

Also not tipping isn't "not technically illegal", it's not in the slightest illegal. Do you think people should face criminal charges for not tipping?

My argument would be in favour of legally enforced reasonable minimum salaries that are not contingent on tips, so that people can decide whether or not they want to tip based on the quality of service provided without putting serving staff into financial difficulty.

Ctrl Alt Del

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
I personally hate tipping: I feel uncomfortably set between "is this enough?" and "I'm not nearly well-off enough to be tipping like that". So much so that I prefer when the 10% tip is embedded on the tip and non-optional, like here in Brazil.

Oct 26, 2017

Also not tipping isn't "not technically illegal", it's not in the slightest illegal. Do you think people should face criminal charges for not tipping?

My argument would be in favour of legally enforced reasonable minimum salaries that are not contingent on tips, so that people can decide whether or not they want to tip based on the quality of service provided without putting serving staff into financial difficulty.

Sounds far too sensible to me. Get out.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't pick it. No one was talking about this until Mist came into the thread with a bizarre "you are being so mean to the poor people and this is classism" take that no one else was talking about prior.
The title of the thread is literally "are you cheap if you don't tip."

It's the core premise: is everyone who doesn't tip a cheap asshole? The answer is, no, some of them are just trying to make due and can't afford it.

keyzz

Dec 12, 2018
I do all of these whilst gulping down my free-refills of insulin and not worrying about idiots with guns.

Get with the times, old man.

Can't argue with those points! For the record, I am not saying tipping here in America is perfect, but it is far from easy to change the culture and mentality here as it's often made out to be.

Now... basically everything else America does, I am totally on board with changing those ideas immediately. Starting from president and working towards unit of measure

keyzz

Dec 12, 2018
Keep moving those goalposts.

Queue systems are a social convention, and cutting in queue makes you a dick.
Politeness is a social convention, and yelling at a teller for doing their job makes you a dick.
Having a blinker on for a parking spot is a social convention, and stealing that parking spot makes you a dick.

"Oh, but how can I deal with all these complicated social conventions!?"

Well said

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
So, it's a tough situation. For the most part, you kinda have to tip. I get that there's a moral hazard argument to be made by in the meantime, it's the structure that exists. That % on the top is figured into the pricing and wages, and not going for it is really hitting people where it hurts. Not the place to try and reform the system, imo.

THAT SAID

Obviously not everybody can afford to tip, so we shouldn't be saying "ah, you can't afford the extra secret 20% cost, so no sit down meals for you!" This is a shitty system on both ends. Servers should get a sane wage, employers should adjust prices if they have to, and in the meantime, if you can afford to tip, maybe try tossing a little extra on top to cover the people who can't.

Man, what even is this. It's not about unwillingness, it's about not having the money to cover the extra 20%.

Why on earth is this the fight to pick, anyway? If the real issue is the rich assholes who can tip but don't, spend your ire there.
If you can't pay your server, you should not have them bring you a meal. Not being able to afford the portion of the bill that pays your server properly is absolutely a reason you should not be going to that restaurant and accepting service and not paying in full. It is an asshole move to take service without paying the server with a proper tip.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
a lot of resturants in the uk just ad a 12.5% service charge onto the bill. why not jsut do that america?
Charging something like that is standard practice for parties of 7 or more. The problem with just implementing something like that is that business owners can pocket the whole amount without increasing what they pay their workers. No one in the industry wants something like that to be standard on all bills because it allows for that kind of abuse

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
If restaurant owners started paying their servers a living wage, enough that they didn't need tips, the price of your meal would, by your own argument, suddenly be out of your reach anyway; if you can't afford a 10% tip, you can't afford a 10% increase in menu prices. No restaurant is going to start paying their employees $10-15/hr more, so they don't need tips, without a commensurate increase in menu pricing. Very few restaurants could even survive doing that, and the ones that could are already out of the price range of most people.

So you're basically arguing that you should be able to exploit the current system to get a nice dinner without ever having to actually pay for the service you're being provided by the most exploited people in the entire process; you're demanding free labor from others because you can't afford their service, and acting like anyone pointing this out is just mocking you or others for being poor.
Right, the mental gymnastics people are doing to justify this crap would be hysterical if it didn't hurt the exact "poor people" that they are supposedly advocating/justifying for.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
THEY ARE NOT PAID BY THE EMPLOYER IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY. ITS NOT LIKE OTHER INDUSTRIEST. I can understand being confused, as it is not like the rest of the world, but he social custom and contract is that like 80% of their income comes from tips. If you don't agree with it, stay home and don't participate, or go to a establishment that pays at least minimum wage to the servers.

it is like, just not enough alike.

Also you don't have legal standing to tell people to otherwise and doing so is a waste of time.

I don't agree with it but guess like life and it's dynamics I deal with it. I pay good servers and I pay my tip most of the time but I'll be damned if I act like nothing is wrong or that someone who might not have what I have should pick up the slack on a meal when they paid.

You live in america and that's just an opinion no one is legally obligated to give a fuck about it.

Duck Sauce

Oct 30, 2017
United States
I'm going to stop tipping now. I'm also going to use the I'm too poor excuse and why I don't tip and when the server calls me a cheap asshole, I'll pull this thread out on my phone and show them and tell them I'm actually helping them change the system and they should be thanking me.

DazzlerIE

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree with tipping at all. However, if you don't tip serving staff you're screwing them over to make your point. Instead, I try not to frequent anywhere with tipping involved. This means I eat out fewer times but it's a bullshit concept and I don't want anything to do with it

Oct 26, 2017
Can't argue with those points! For the record, I am not saying tipping here in America is perfect, but it is far from easy to change the culture and mentality here as it's often made out to be.

Now... basically everything else America does, I am totally on board with changing those ideas immediately. Starting from president and working towards unit of measure

As was previously suggested, there should be protections in place so that servers (and anyone on one of those "loophole" salaries) so that they earn a livable wage, regardless of tips. I think you'd find that tipping wouldn't disappear as it is so culturally ingrained in American society, though it might be reduced somewhat. Employees shouldn't have to rely on the kindness of strangers to make ends meet!

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The title of the thread is literally "are you cheap if you don't tip."

It's the core premise: is everyone who doesn't tip a cheap asshole? The answer is, no, some of them are just trying to make due and can't afford it.
The discussion had spun into different places by the time that happened.

Being accused of "taking the side of the corporations" is f'ing ridiculous here as well, as though the corporations just love having a big chunk of their revenue mandated to go to FOH instead of being under their discretionary control. They would vastly prefer a no-tipping situation too if everyone else were participating! There's a fundamental disconnect about who the winners and losers from the US tipping situation are because so many are coming from it from a "but I dont want to have to tip!" situation where they don't like it that assumes the waitstaff are net losers in the situation and must be victims in need of saving, where that isn't the case at all!

Like, "don't dine and dash on your servers" shouldn't be a hard position to understand. Not tipping is just dine and dashing, but only on the labor.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't like tipping but portions in the US are large so I just leave 15% of my food for the server to eat

Oct 29, 2017
Who are you to decide that?

Someone who finds it amusing when people dine out only to begin pinching pennies when it's time to consider gratuity. Call me sensible or logical, but when waiters are busting their asses for me, I like to make sure they're accordingly compensated for their effort.

Cool that Europe figured it out, though.

Its amazing how often people want to get on their pretend high horse and rant about fighting the broken system and how it's better in Europe. I hope these people also tell the temperature in Celsius and only measure things in Meters and KGs. Also, I hope they spell words like "colour" and "favourite". Or maybe they only fight the system when it saves them money and they get to pretend their reasoning is to fight the system

I got pulled over for going the wrong way up an exit ramp onto the interstate, and when the state troopers hauled me out of my car by gunpoint, I said, " But Europe!" and they let me go.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
It's kg's , the symbol is lower g for the measurement grams, the k is just a denouement for kilo I.e by 10^3. Using these systems is clearly superior (duh, keep your filthy Fahrenheit away from me America) but I still think people are allowed to complain about tipping culture and not correctly spell or use superior measurement systems. The rest of the world has accepted Americans have a few peculiarities but having a living wage should be a pretty universally wanted system

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
Can a mod move this to the tipping forum please?

LMAO

I think it's funny: I've never engaged in more than 1 minute of a substantive tipping discussion with anyone in my life. I've never even HEARD anyone ever discussing tipping substantively in my life. It's always online where I hear actual "discussions" and "debates" about tipping.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I don't understand why the tip should depend on the amount payed for food. Since this is seemingly a unpreventable labour issue in America, how about if the servers have cost per minute worked, and you tip them based on the time they spend serving you?

The more food ordered, the more service required. Drinks, apps, soups, salads...these are runs to the kitchen, attentiveness to the meal. This is why it is a factor of the food/drinks ordered.
It's a high intensity, high stress industry with the only payoff being that we control how our tips go. The better service, the better the tips, usually. I can perform really well, ask for first cut, and could go back to uni and do homework, making 60-100 bucks in 4-5 hours in a three table section.

Or, bartending, I would work from 4pm to 3/4/5am and pull bank but then had to quit to re-prioritize my school and 8 am classes.

There are two variables that should come into the decision making process: How much did I order and what was the server's performance. If you had issues with your server, you should have asked for a manager and most likely, they will remove the items from your bill.

But please don't stiff your server/bartender because of the "tipping culture" as a) they will wonder where they went wrong and b) it is immoral as fuck.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If you can't pay your server, you should not have them bring you a meal. Not being able to afford the portion of the bill that pays your server properly is absolutely a reason you should not be going to that restaurant and accepting service and not paying in full. It is an asshole move to take service without paying the server with a proper tip.
Shockingly, when you have a system built on the premise thst everybody should be an asshole if they want to succeed, you're often left with situations where people have to act like assholes to make it through the day.

As I see it, a poor person not paying the tip because they can't afford it doesn't rate much of a talk, and we should make an effort to carve out that understanding.

Nov 1, 2017
No. i shouldn't feel obligated to help crowdfund paying your employee a liveable wage after I already paid you for a meal.

Last edited:

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Being accused of "taking the side of the corporations" is f'ing ridiculous here as well, as though the corporations just love having a big chunk of their revenue mandated to go to FOH instead of being under their discretionary control. They would vastly prefer a no-tipping situation too if everyone else were participating! There's a fundamental disconnect about who the winners and losers from the US tipping situation are because so many are coming from it from a "but I dont want to have to tip!" situation where they don't like it that assumes the waitstaff are net losers in the situation and must be victims in need of saving, where that isn't the case at all!

Yeah exactly. The servers are making bank from the tipping system for what is low-skilled, easy work. Therefore don't feel bad if you can't afford the full 15%

keyzz

Dec 12, 2018
It's kg's , the symbol is lower g for the measurement grams, the k is just a denouement for kilo I.e by 10^3. Using these systems is clearly superior (duh, keep your filthy Fahrenheit away from me America) but I still think people are allowed to complain about tipping culture and not correctly spell or use superior measurement systems. The rest of the world has accepted Americans have a few peculiarities but having a living wage should be a pretty universally wanted system

I don't think tipping is the problem with living wage. Our minimum wage is the problem to start with. Employers are allowed to have customers offset the employee's salary basically to hit the state or federal min wage. But that min wage is still way too low.

That being said, minimum wage increasing, would mean menu prices increase, which means your average customer still is paying more anyway

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If you don't agree with tipping culture, then speak out and demand people be paid more. Don't support places that require tips. If you go to a place that supports a tipping culture then choosing not to tip is cheap. Cook for yourself.

If you don't tip then don't eat at places where people need those tips. Eat at places where people are paid fairly.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously not everybody can afford to tip, so we shouldn't be saying "ah, you can't afford the extra secret 20% cost, so no sit down meals for you!" This is a shitty system on both ends. Servers should get a sane wage, employers should adjust prices if they have to, and in the meantime, if you can afford to tip, maybe try tossing a little extra on top to cover the people who can't.
Yes, if you cant afford the services you are inquiring, you shouldn't be accepting them. Simple as that, its has nothing to do with how well off you are. Just because your poor doesn't mean you should expect others (who are almost surely also not well off) to give you free services.

Tidus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to stop tipping now. I'm also going to use the I'm too poor excuse and why I don't tip and when the server calls me a cheap asshole, I'll pull this thread out on my phone and show them and tell them I'm actually helping them change the system and they should be thanking me.
This is just ridiculous, the hyperbole is crazy. I got an idea how about we think about the less fortunate and the servers who may also be less fortunate at the same time. The privilege is crazy with this post.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's a flawed premise here that suggests most servers don't like their tipping wages in America, but many articles suggest that the servers generally prefer that opportunity they get to make money from tips. Many restaurants have tried to be tip free and many of them went back to tipping.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017

Yes, I would prefer that system too, but until that is the system in the US, you are a asshole if you don't tip and your taking services rendered by the staff and not paying for it.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
If your in America, thanks for stealing from the server. If you hire someone to mow your lawn would you then not pay them? When you go to a restaurant in the U.S. you walk in with a social contract to pay the wait staff. If you don't you just stole their service for free, fully knowing that you should be paying for their service.

I tip but this is insanely stupid. No one is stealing if you don't tip.

Deleted member 5086

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Like, "don't dine and dash on your servers" shouldn't be a hard position to understand
Did you not repeatedly quote me with stuff like this (well before I even interacted with you)?

Waiters are paid more under the tipping structure than they would be otherwise. Their employers are not the villains here.

How is it inaccurate then for me to characterise your position as the corporations not being the villains, but poor people who can't afford to tip sometimes are?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Tipping is a complicated subject where I feel a lot of people are myopic and limited to their regional worldview.

In North America (US and Canada), tipping is not legally mandatory, but it's so ingrained that everyone, including poor customers, is expected to tip. Waiters make wages so low that they rely entirely on tips. Poor customers are entitled to the occasional treats, but should it be at the cost of a waiter possibly being stiffed? I wouldn't think so, but I can see disagreements there. That said, in NA, since tipping is so ubiquitous, customers are basically trained to include tip as part of the cost. I can scarcely imagine someone looking at a menu and going "hmm I can afford this, but only if I leave out the tip". I don't think this scenario is very common, and I think most people who don't tip do so because they're jerks/penny pinchers rather than poor, but maybe I'm wrong. If studies are done that show differently I'd revisit my views.

But then you have waiters who will defend the tipping NA status quo, because they happen to thrive in that system, and make better money than they would under a regular minimum wage system. And frankly, it's true, in my experience, that service is overall better in NA. That's very likely because waiters have to "earn" their tips and are forced to be nice, whereas in Europe they are "getting paid anyway, don't care if you're mad" (slightly exaggerating and generalizing, but you know what I mean).

But, on the flipside, another aspect of tipping that is often overlooked is how PoC waiters get the shaft the most under tipping culture. I remember reading articles showing that black and brown waitresses get fewer and cheaper tips than white ones, which is really awful.

So, is tipping culture in NA fucked up? Massively, yes. Is it the fault of the waiters? No. Are you a moral crusader sticking it to the man by refusing to participate in this system? Fuck no. You're fucking over the waiter, doubly so if that waiter is a PoC. Are you an asshole if you don't tip in NA? Yes, very likely so.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
This is just ridiculous, the hyperbole is crazy. I got an idea how about we think about the less fortunate and the servers who may also be less fortunate at the same time. The privilege is crazy with this post.

People in this thread aren't thinking of the less fortunate though. People in this thread are using the less fortunate as a gotcha to justify the notion of not tipping by trying to think up fringe cases to justify a shitty behavior.

Unless, you're the low-income single-parent trying to have a last meal with your terminally-ill child, I don't really want to hear the "BUT THINK OF THE POOR" in a thread asking about your value system on exploiting workers and participating in that exploitation by not tipping.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The employers suffer from a problem where if only they swap, they get hurt. You can only swap that at a systemic level, and the waiters (as a whole) will fight that because as you go up the income ladder in the group that gap will get bigger and bigger. Which is why we're stuck with working with working within the margins of what we've got.

Also nonwhite servers are more likely to get lower tips or stiffed, it's an argument for mandatory baseline tips in order to partially counteract it.
These are just arguments for ending the tipped wage system though. Some waiters would fight it but plenty would not because the current system isn't great for them. Why have mandatory baseline tips when you can just eliminate tipped wages altogether and let people tip if they want for exceptional service or something?

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
LMAO

I think it's funny: I've never engaged in more than 1 minute of a substantive tipping discussion with anyone in my life. I've never even HEARD anyone ever discussing tipping substantively in my life. It's always online where I hear actual "discussions" and "debates" about tipping.
That's because if you say you don't tip out loud you would be rightly chastized

Deleted member 60582

Banned
Oct 12, 2019
OP right now:
Ko2FjUk.gif