• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
Don't understand what's classist about asking for payment in exchange for goods and services
It's really impressive that you've both convinced yourself that your system is working fine and that the employers are not the villains, and that poor people who can't afford to tip sometimes are. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you're someone who is financially secure and has no perception of what being poor is like. That would certainly explain why you're satisfied with the status quo.
Please get out of here with this. Nobody is taking the businesses side here, we just believe that servers should get paid and this is the unfortunate system we find ourselves in.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
What are you even rambling on about?
This was the course of discussion:
I apologize, I may have got some of the discussions mixed up as one person was saying that they don't tip cause they don't make much money and they shouldn't have to tip if they cant afford it and they just wanted a "nice experience"

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't require a tip at all. There is one country where people argue a tip is mandatory, and there is no consensus on how to tip within that country.

The same country that still thinks that using Fahrenheit is a good idea.

How was she to know that people are poor and just trying to enjoy life lmao that makes ZERO sense yo. A server that's fine working for free to appease a couple of poor people, what a lovely story. Except you're basically saying that she was able to spot poor people based on their looks and behavior which is monumentally stupid. Rich people stiff servers all the time lol. This post made me laugh though. Your attempt at finding some sort of middle ground is cute and won't work for anyone that actually understands and worked the industry before.

You're pleasant.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Considering how underpaid waiters are in the first place, not tipping in the US means you are an asshole.

Transistor

The Walnut King
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
How was she to know that people are poor and just trying to enjoy life lmao that makes ZERO sense yo. A server that's fine working for free to appease a couple of poor people, what a lovely story. Except you're basically saying that she was able to spot poor people based on their looks and behavior which is monumentally stupid. Rich people stiff servers all the time lol. This post made me laugh though. You're attempt at finding some sort of middle ground is cute and won't work for anyone that actually understands and worked the industry before.
Did I say that? No, she didn't have a psychic sense on it. Sometimes you could tell by what was ordered (split an entree, water instead of wine, etc), but in a restaurant where she had a lot of regulars, if it was one-off customers like that she didn't mind. That's why the second part of my post talked about the regulars and their lack of tips that was the bigger issue.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
In America its more than being cheap, its borderline illegal (ok, it isn't technically ILLEGAL), but its basically a huge society level no no to fail to leave a tip since you are literally stiffing your server on their wage (since the restaurant themselves is barely paying them a wage and they depend on tips.)

I imagine this has been hammered in about 100 times already in the thread, but I'm gonna do it again so there isn't any misconception for those not from around here. If you want to leave a lower 15% tip instead of 20% because you feel the service was flimsy, that's fine, but you never (ever!) completely stiff them (unless something extremely drastic happened, like they had a complete failure to complete your meal service on their end or something).

But if you feel the server was not the friendliest, didn't like the food too much, felt service was slow, or other things like this, that sucks and all, but you still don't fail to leave a basic gratuity. The way you really punish the place is by not coming back afterwards, but outright stiffing the server you really just don't do and there really isn't a justification for it.

Deleted member 60302

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2019
If you cant afford the service, don't ask for it. Pretty simple. If you went into a gamestore and bought a new XB do you expect a game for free just because you are poor? That's effectively what your advocating for here.
Stupid example. You legally cant walk out of a store with a game you didn't purchase.

You can legally walk out of a restaurant without tipping.

You cant go into a restaurant with waiters and get your own food.

You can go into a gamestop ans buy an Xbox and not get any games.

Why did you even begin to think these 2 things were analogous

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Most people don't require a tip at all. There is one country where people argue a tip is mandatory, and there is no consensus on how to tip within that country.
It really isn't that hard. Many countries have weird customs that don't exist in other countries. If you are aware of that custom and actively choose not to follow it people are more than justified in saying that you are being a dick for doing so.

Mr Spasiba

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
All of the moral non-tippers should tell their servers they aren't leaving a tip as soon as they sit down and see how it goes for them.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the people saying if you don't have the money don't go out, why even complain about rich people and how much money they are getting cause screw the poor right. Your not allowed to have fun cause you don't have money. What if they just want to have a special night for once with all the shit that could be happening around them. I mean the blatant classism in this thread is stunning and shameful.

It's hilarious. The mantra of this forum is supposedly 'eat the rich' but as soon as that interferes with one of the many holy cows of US society, the mask slips and it's 'fuck you, pay me or stay at home peon'.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I'd even say that if this system of unwritten arbitrary social conventions for people to tip can't withstand a portion of people not tipping, it's fundamentally flawed. If wait staff are put into financial hardship because of a minority of customers opting not to tip, the system is obviously not fit for purpose. Which is probably why almost every single industry in the US, and every single industry in other countries, does not use this system.

coldzone24

Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask people to budget for the tip when they go out. Figure out how much you want to spend on a night out and then work backwards from there to figure out how much food + tip you can afford. On a lower end meal a 10% is probably enough.

That said I hate tipping because of the extra complications it causes, but it's not that hard to figure out especially when you are used to the culture.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen disagreements over whether it's 10%, 15%, or 20%. I've seen disagreements over whether you should tip if it's takeout, disagreements over whether you should tip deliveries. Disagreements over whether you should tip other service workers (barbers, masseurs, beauticians, retail staff etc), in bars whether a single canned drink vs complicated cocktails. All this type of stuff there is no consensus on, and nobody advocating for this system seems to want to pin down exact policies for tipping, but do want to shame people who don't know how any of these unwritten rules work for not somehow following all these conflicting rules.

Honestly, I'd say that it's not that complicated. As a Brit who travels internationally for work all of the time I just ask if I'm unsure. It was embarrasing the first time I asked but after that it's just fine. Especially if you're a foreigner. I stopped at a gas station in Portland (where you're not allowed to pump your own gas, an attendant has to do it for you) and had to ask him 'what do I tip you? 15% of a full tank of fuel seems like a lot!'. He laughed and told me that most tip a couple of bucks.

Just leave something or ask. In the real world people aren't spitting in your food over 15% vs 20%.

Oct 26, 2017
Um what? I wish people who never worked in restaurant industry did not get to comment on these threads. Its so infuriating each time.

Calm down, it was a joke.

And for the record, I have worked in the restaurant industry, in the UK where we have a minimum wage and still receive tips.

(But I also will die on the hill saying that people should not be socially shunned for refusing to tip. Pay staff a proper wage and inflate the prices.)

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Everyone can come in and say the system is broken. Servers realize this, everybody does.

But until great societal change, YOU, yes you right there planning on not tipping your server for X reason, are personally fucking over the server's bill payments, daycare payements, and general income. You are.

Don't come in here, claim the system is a mess, and then choose to not participate because you believe that makes you a better person or more ethical. It doesn't.

And from people with 10+ years in service industry in the biggest service industry town in the US, those stories are really sweet about people who come into celebrate big parties and events. It's a privileged take that you can effectively skip a mini paycheck and still pay the light bill. Servers make between 18 and 22 a year on average. If you choose to go out, fulfill your social obligation and pay your server.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'd even say that if this system of unwritten arbitrary social conventions for people to tip can't withstand a portion of people not tipping, it's fundamentally flawed. If wait staff are put into financial hardship because of a minority of customers opting not to tip, the system is obviously not fit for purpose. Which is probably why almost every single industry in the US, and every single industry in other countries, does not use this system.

Of course it can withstand it, but it says nothing about the morality of not tipping.

Retail stores can withstand a certain amount of shoplifting also. That doesn't mean shoplifting is fine.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Not tipping in industries where tipping is customary is trash behavior. Very idiotic to think screwing over the server does anything for livable wages. Call your legislator instead of being an illogical dipstick honestly.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
This is such a stupid argument. Just because you can weather a small percentage of people cheating you, doesn't mean the people cheating you still aren't being assholes.

Oct 29, 2017
I shouldn't be expected to subsidise somebody's wages just because their employer pays them a derisory hourly rate, it's unfair to put that burden on others especially those barely getting by themselves. I'm glad that this isn't a controversy in Europe because we have effective minimum wage laws.

People "barely getting by" should prioritize their spending elsewhere than dining out.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
You called it an entitlement to pay for a tip. Entitlement means you get something because you deserve it.

The word can be used in many ways and it easily be used to refer to the mindset of some, hence my application.

These servers worked to provide a service for you. It isn't an entitlement. I don't see where I've assumed anything. You seem defensive.

They provide a service and get paid by their employers like most other industries. It's entitled after you agree to work for something and agreed to it to expect or ask for more. If you agreed to be paid shit that is no one else fault but your own.

Okay but if you don't tip, you shouldn't be allowed to use any of those services.

Then the place of business can put up their opinions of that view and see how much business they get, it's america afterall.

FILE_ID.DIZ

Banned
Jun 1, 2019
Fort Wayne
It's galling how many of you see tipping as a form of gatekeeping for "poor people" yet don't give a single shit about the probably-just-as-poor servers.

We see your hypocritical bullshit, don't think we don't.

Min

Oct 25, 2017

Herd immunity from wage theft, huh? I guess those 10% of anti-vaxxers are cool.

edit: I agree we should have worker protections. But we don't.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Of course it can withstand it, but it says nothing about the morality of not tipping.

Retail stores can withstand a certain amount of shoplifting also. That doesn't mean shoplifting is fine.
Do you think "do not shoplift" should just be a social convention, or do you think it should be a law?

I think making "do not shoplift" a law with explicit policies around it, makes things much simpler than having "do not shoplift" simply a social convention with complicated rules surrounding what type of shoplifting makes someone "a dick".

Deleted member 5086

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I did. It doesn't seem unreasonable that people should try and live within their means
My point is, he did take the side of the corporations. I'm not replying to everyone in the thread, I'm replying to him.

I'm also not saying that poor people should never tip. Many poor people tip every time and that's great. Tipping is not an expectation at all in most casual restaurants/cafes etc here, and yet I still tip, sometimes generously if the customer service is great. This is not about me, or the system as a whole. I responded to someone who told poor people who can't afford to tip to stay at home and make a sandwich. That is what I've been responding to. I find that statement really harmful as someone who has both grown up in poverty and also suffered from depression and anxiety for over a decade due to a life of trauma, abuse and marginalisation. I know there are dark days where a treat is really the only thing I can find to lift myself out of harmful thoughts. Should people like me be denied that if on a certain day they can't spare the extra dollars, but can pay for their meal?

Targeting your vitriol at people like that is extremely misguided. They are struggling and trying to make ends meet too, and are not breaking any laws.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
What if the service was shitty and the waiter openly rude?
Then you leave them a penny. I truly believe that tipping is a performance based metric whereas bad servers should be naturally filtered out much like I wish posters who post in bad faith in tipping threads.

Edit: Don't tip nothing. It doesn't send the message. Managers who review the end of night tickets observe this directly and can attribute a series of bad tables to a poorly performing server.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's really impressive that you've both convinced yourself that your system is working fine and that the employers are not the villains, and that poor people who can't afford to tip sometimes are. I'm going to hazard a guess and say that you're someone who is financially secure and has no perception of what being poor is like. That would certainly explain why you're satisfied with the status quo.

Thank you.
It's impressive that you've never interacted with the system once in your entire life and yet consider yourself an expert from it from across an ocean to the point you're inventing fanciful hypotheticals utterly divorced from reality in order to turn the situation into a "class" thing when the situation has nothing to do with it.

Equating being poor with not being willing to tip is super awful, yet you keep doing it with some bizarre notion that poor people are going to be the ones where not tipping is going to be a gigantic problem. Not tipping is equivalent to Dine n Dashing, but you're only dashing on the waitstaff. Asking people to not do that regardless of their income level has nothing to do with "classism" and everything to do with not being an asshole to your fellow human beings, who didn't invent the system everyone's interacting in.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, you should tip in America. Even if you watched Reservoir Dogs once.

The people suggesting that "only rich people tip" is peak classicist bull shit. Some of the stingiest, bad tippers also happen to be a ton of old wealthy people who refuse to tip more than 15% for exceptional service, for some philosophical bootstraps argument from the nuclear age, while some of the best tippers were young, poor people working in the service industry like myself who knew how we made our daily bread and how much effort it took day-to-day to do that, and they tipped appropriately. I'm glad I spend those ~5, 6 years working in the service industry because it gave me an appreciation for the service industry and I've always tipped well because of that.

You might think that the system is rotten, and it may be, but your condescending ideological waxes on the internet only goes so-far to helping someone pay their rent. Meanwhile I'm like "YEah, the system should probably be better, but here's the $18 you earned serving me and my family over the last couple hours."

Last edited:

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I understand that the system is broken here, but if youre against it, just dont go to restaurants. Going and not tipping makes you an asshole.

Tidus

Oct 25, 2017
It's galling how many of you see tipping as a form of gatekeeping for "poor people" yet don't give a single shit about the probably-just-as-poor servers.

We see your hypocritical bullshit, don't think we don't.
Who said we didn't care about the servers that's just generalizing and a preconcieved notion. The care goes both ways which is exactly why I repeatedly said tip as much as you can within your means. My problem lies with the fact people are saying stay home if you don't have money which is effectively gatekeeping and classism.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
Is it cheap? Yes.
I'm ultimately not going to immediately morally condemn anyone for being cheap though as I think there are some fair reasons to be stingy. Sometimes there aren't though.

Min

Oct 25, 2017
It's impressive that you've never interacted with the system once in your entire life and yet consider yourself an expert from it from across an ocean to the point you're inventing fanciful hypotheticals utterly divorced from reality in order to turn the situation into a "class" thing when the situation has nothing to do with it.

Equating being poor with not being willing to tip is super awful, yet you keep doing it with some bizarre notion that poor people are going to be the ones where not tipping is going to be a gigantic problem. Not tipping is equivalent to Dine n Dashing, but you're only dashing on the waitstaff. Asking people to not do that regardless of their income level has nothing to do with "classism" and everything to do with not being an asshole to your fellow human beings, who didn't invent the system everyone's interacting in.

Don't worry guys. We'll use the poor as a shield to justify not tipping.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
They provide a service and get paid by their employers like most other industries. It's entitled after you agree to work for something and agreed to it to expect or ask for more. If you agreed to be paid shit that is no one else fault but your own.
THEY ARE NOT PAID BY THE EMPLOYER IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY. ITS NOT LIKE OTHER INDUSTRIEST. I can understand being confused, as it is not like the rest of the world, but he social custom and contract is that like 80% of their income comes from tips. If you don't agree with it, stay home and don't participate, or go to a establishment that pays at least minimum wage to the servers.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

I've been poor enough during periods of my life that I had to live out of my car. I've never not tipped when eating at a sit down establishment. It was never the server's fault that I was poor any more than it's yours or my fault that the server has to rely on tips because the restaurant industry is gross and exploitative.

In America, tipping has to be considered part of the bill; it's not really optional from any moral standpoint. The idea that there are just tons and tons of people out there who can somehow afford a nice dinner but not even a 10% tip just strikes me as weird and completely fabricated; if money's that tight, get a cheaper entree, or skip the dessert, or go to a restaurant where tips aren't an issue; there are plenty of them.

If restaurant owners started paying their servers a living wage, enough that they didn't need tips, the price of your meal would, by your own argument, suddenly be out of your reach anyway; if you can't afford a 10% tip, you can't afford a 10% increase in menu prices. No restaurant is going to start paying their employees $10-15/hr more, so they don't need tips, without a commensurate increase in menu pricing. Very few restaurants could even survive doing that, and the ones that could are already out of the price range of most people.

So you're basically arguing that you should be able to exploit the current system to get a nice dinner without ever having to actually pay for the service you're being provided by the most exploited people in the entire process; you're demanding free labor from others because you can't afford their service, and acting like anyone pointing this out is just mocking you or others for being poor.

Sorry, not buying it.

Darkstar0155

Oct 27, 2017
Do you think "do not shoplift" should just be a social convention, or do you think it should be a law?

I think making "do not shoplift" a law with explicit policies around it, makes things much simpler than having "do not shoplift" simply a social convention with complicated rules surrounding what type of shoplifting makes someone "a dick".
If your argument for being an asshole and not paying for services rendered is solely "because its not technically illegal" then idk what to tell you. There are all kinds of unmoral things that are legal, doesn't make them right.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
So, it's a tough situation. For the most part, you kinda have to tip. I get that there's a moral hazard argument to be made by in the meantime, it's the structure that exists. That % on the top is figured into the pricing and wages, and not going for it is really hitting people where it hurts. Not the place to try and reform the system, imo.

THAT SAID

Obviously not everybody can afford to tip, so we shouldn't be saying "ah, you can't afford the extra secret 20% cost, so no sit down meals for you!" This is a shitty system on both ends. Servers should get a sane wage, employers should adjust prices if they have to, and in the meantime, if you can afford to tip, maybe try tossing a little extra on top to cover the people who can't.

Man, what even is this. It's not about unwillingness, it's about not having the money to cover the extra 20%.

Why on earth is this the fight to pick, anyway? If the real issue is the rich assholes who can tip but don't, spend your ire there.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Not tipping because of "moral" reasons is bullshit and just makes you an asshole.

It really does. These threads always devolve into this kind of arguing, but for Americans, the tip is the equivalent of a service fee. If you dont pay it, you took that fee out of the waiter's pocket. The system sucks, but not tipping wont change it.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
If you want to "change the system," refusing to tip is not going to do it. Vote for ballot initiatives or candidates that would put jobs with "tipped wages" in line with the actual minimum wage (and in general raising the minimum wage, if your city/state hasn't done so). Until then, tips for these jobs are not just a "bonus" on top of their wages. It's not just a "custom" you should feel free to follow or not.

If the service was abysmal, and the server/delivery person did nothing to correct it when asked, I can see leaving no tip. (Remember not all problems with a meal are the server's fault.) If you genuinely can't afford it, you're probably not frequenting establishments where tipping is expected very often, but I get it if you can't leave a tip. If you didn't tip at an establishment where you didn't realize tipping was expected, I get it, but hey, now you know and can do better in the future.

If you don't feel like it, or think service workers don't deserve it, or you think tipping is dumb, or that "taxation is theft," then please just order takeout or make your own food at home. Don't burden a server or delivery driver financially due to your shitty views.

keyzz

Dec 12, 2018
Its amazing how often people want to get on their pretend high horse and rant about fighting the broken system and how it's better in Europe. I hope these people also tell the temperature in Celsius and only measure things in Meters and KGs. Also, I hope they spell words like "colour" and "favourite". Or maybe they only fight the system when it saves them money and they get to pretend their reasoning is to fight the system