• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brand loyalty?

• Are you kidding me?

Votes: 1,378 69.5%
  • PlayStation is my life

Votes: 258 13.0%
  • Xbox rocks my world

Votes: 63 3.2%
  • Nintendo to rule them all

Votes: 191 9.6%
  • PC Master Race

Votes: 92 4.6%

• Total voters

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am games loyal, and most of them happens to be on a Nintendo system...

I have a PC for multiplat though... Actually my favorite games last year were there ( Sekiro and The outter Wilds)

Ganado

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
In recent years I've only bought games on PC. But PC isn't a brand but I guess I'm loyal to Microsoft for Windows in a way?

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Professing loyalty to any anything that isn' t a) a specific person and b) rooted in an actual emotional connection or long-standing history is just fucking creepy. "Brand Loyalty" is a marketing grift that people have fallen for since the dawn of modern advertising.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Can we collectively retire the term PC master race? It's embarrassing and rooted in racism even if used as a "joke." Incredibly bummed it's continued to stick around.

Deleted member 56069

User requested account deletion
Banned
Apr 18, 2019
No not really. I flip flop between PlayStation and Xbox each cycle. Nintendo is the only constant because I like their games.

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Too many console war type posts on this site to have the first option dominate this poll.

DirtyLarry

Oct 27, 2017
Nah.
Learned a very long time ago I am just a number to these mega corporations.
With that said, I am loyal to video games themselves. But they are not a brand, they are a movement.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I guess you can say I love Sony products so maybe that makes me brand loyal. However my priorities in my mind are in the following order: 1. I am a fan of games 2. I am a fan of JRPGs 3. I am fan of Sony products.

In other words, I would never let my love of Sony products get in the way of me playing good games and JRPGs in particular. I just think PlayStation is the best balance of power and quality games. I have a switch and buy 80% of Nintendo's output on it and when Xbox Series X has a Fable game or perhaps an awesome exclusive JRPG I will get it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loyal to good games.

I've owned every Nintendo/Sony system for ages and I use my PC the most these days. I follow games.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
I certainly have a preference towards Nintendo games and consoles as I am a huge fan of the majority of their franchises. But I'm not going to not have the other systems and miss out on a massive swath of other games. I definitely will be picking up a PS5 and Xbox SX soon (PS5 first, undoubtedly). But yeah, the Switch is probably my favorite platform right now.

crookedaxis

Oct 27, 2017
no, i'm not 12yo anymore.

4d5db6b159bcce36348a5e155ec822c8.jpg

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I wouldn't call it loyalty but I prefer to play games wherever they look and perform the best, and that's been PC for a very long time. If somehow a console released that was more powerful than any PC I could build then I'd switch over without hesitation.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I would like to say no, but I suppose there's at least a predilection toward Playstation at this point. I grew up with Playstation and then PS2. They gave me countless hours of fun, and moved me toward liking certain sorts of games, Japanese but not Nintendo's style. When PS3 came out I gave the benefit of the doubt and grabbed that console. It would likely have the same sort of games I liked and also at the time it played the titles I currently liked via backwards compatibility, so it was a no brainer. PS3 did kind of back away from the games I liked at the time, but that pushed me toward others like the Uncharted franchise, The Last of Us, and Killzone 2 amongst others. It was at this time I grew to love those IPs, and so I bought a PS4 because that's where they'd land. And they did land. Uncharted 4, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, and others kept me situated.

Now I'm heavily leaning toward PS5 without much of a reason outside of knowing that's where the IPs and developers I tend to love more than others will be. If there's an Uncharted, it'll be on PS5. The next God of War will undoubtedly be on PS5. Horizon Zero Dawn's sequel will be there too.

I still buy other consoles. During the PS3 era I did eventually purchase a 360 and played some things on that. Now I have a Switch and play some exclusives and such there.

ToxicPhantom

Jan 6, 2020
Texas
Xbox has always been my go-to brand to game on since the original Xbox. Since then, 90% of my gaming time is on the Xbox. The other 10% is split up between a Nintendo device or Sony device.

So yeah, I would say Xbox is the brand I'm more loyal to.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
No I don't bow down to companies, I use to though not going to lie and not admit at one point I wasn't a fanboy. But now I care about having all the systems to play the latest games. From each system.

Last edited:

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I have different levels of faith in what to expect from the software, hardware and services from different manufacturers but it's not static. For example early this gen I struggled to even find a reason to own an Xbox One but then Phil descended from the heavens and transformed it into my most used system. So, I wouldn't say I'm loyal. I go where I am offered something appealing.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It just depends on what "loyalty" means. It doesn't mean I turn a blind eye for Nintendo's mistakes, or that I hate other consoles, or will follow Nintendo to the end of times. But I'll always want to play my favorite games, and I think that's okay, and kind of judgemental that other people say things like "no because I'm not a teenager" or "you're a loyalist thus you're stupid". It's like there's a "Agnostic Platform Master Race" or something lol
I mean brand loyalty is objectively stupid. They don't care about you and leverage that sense of loyalty to get more money from you. It's a con driven by marketing and sales.

But preferring one thing over another or wanting to play your favorite games isn't necessarily indicative of brand loyalty. If Mario was available on Xbox or phones, ran better and cost less there than on Nintendo platforms but you still played it on a Nintendo platform just cuz brand loyalty—then you're dumb and have been duped by marketing.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
I stay where ive had a good experience
But im not unwilling to try new things. Wanna get a switch at some point despite my history with some nintendo products

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not loyal to anyone, I just tend to buy Sony consoles because that's the best place to get Japanese games and Nintendo consoles always have enough exclusives to justify a purchase even if I don't use them all that often outside of that.

Less loyalty and more just...de facto purchasing habits.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú
I mean, I still on xbox this generation but it's not just becaause of the brand but there are some qualities to the products and services that I find are particulary appealing. That didn't meant stop me from buying a PS4 to play some of their exclusives and won't stop me from eventally buying a nintendo system if they ever publish something I care about.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
Yeah, I'm a playstation fangirl. It doesn't mean I won't buy other consoles (have a switch as well and a gaming PC for VR and I do have a 360 though it barely got touched, but was excited to get it when I did <- husband got it cause physical therapist thought the dance games with kinect was a good idea... I was like who am I to refuse another console?). But unless there is a reason not to get the Playstation I'm going to choose it as my main console. I've never regretted getting a Playstation and it gets all the third parties I'm interested in and I do like the first parties as well. Plus Sony still seems to support us single player game lovers :). And I admit when Sony does stuff I think well and they "win" I do cheer. That doesn't mean I don't criticize them (like I blame Sony honestly for the weak mod support Bethesda games get on its console... I really dislike that and had wished they'd suffer some for that but knew that was not going to happen). And I do try to look at things at an unbiased view when debating on strategies each take. But I do admit I feel a little thrill when Playstation does well.

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
User banned (5 day): Trolling with a history of simular infractions
I see. So the Nintendo fans on this site are also liars. Interesting.

>Report post for insolence about favourite corporation. Vote 'Not Brand Loyal' in poll.

Last edited:

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
I'm loyal to certain game franchises. For example, if there are more Uncharted games announced I'll buy a PS5 to play them.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I like certain companies' products more than others. But I wouldn't consider myself brand loyal. That to me says you will blindly buy whatever they make, even if its terrible. I have never been that way.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say fuck no, but i realized that i steadily believe from software will only put out games that i like and that i will buy their shit without question.

Deleted member 21411

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I am in the sense I'm really in a ecosystem. All my games are on PS4 and switch I wanna transfer my library over

banter

Jan 12, 2018
Brand loyalty is dumb. If you're worried about losing your previous library changing manufacturers, just don't sell your console when you get a new one. It's that easy.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
There is a Nintendo option missing in the poll.

Also no, my alliance is fleeting and depends on the games.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Nah. I play on PC, XBOX and PS4 right now. I will get a Switch (or Switch 2) when Metroid Prime 4 comes out too. I'll probably pick up a PS5 and XBSX on their respective launch days. I'm 100% in on XBOX day one because of Game Pass, but assuming Sony has at least one big first party titles, that I want to play, ready to go at launch, I'll buy that at launch too.

DammitLloyd

Oct 25, 2017
Poll result is a lie. I was honest and chose PC. There would be a sub category too, for some of the components of my PC.

Motherboards: Asus
Case: Fractal and Corsair
Ram: Corsair

Fans: Noctua
GPU: Nvidia
Cpu: Intel

To me it's more about trusted brands rather then loyalty. It can change depending on experience with each of the brand.

I'm finally making the switch to AMD for my next build, but I've gone with Intel for the past 10 years because AMD cpu's have just been shit until recently. Their GPU's have yet to impress me.

Nov 17, 2017
No but I tend to get Nintendo consoles as they typically have the games I enjoy the most. I've had 3 of the Playstations too, so I enjoy their stuff. Never have owned an XBox as it just doesn't appeal to me. I don't think it has much to do with the brands themselves, just the games they get.

May 17, 2018
Loyal, no. But, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a preference. I definitely prefer PlayStation, but, that can change if another publisher made games on their level for me.

FlintSpace

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I won't say I am loyal to anything but where do you draw the line between giving the benefit of the doubt.

I'm not a CDPR or ND loyalist either but will play anything they will put out blindly UNTIL there first disappointment.