• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Brand loyalty?

• Are you kidding me?

Votes: 1,378 69.5%
  • PlayStation is my life

Votes: 258 13.0%
  • Xbox rocks my world

Votes: 63 3.2%
  • Nintendo to rule them all

Votes: 191 9.6%
  • PC Master Race

Votes: 92 4.6%

• Total voters
Dec 10, 2019
Yes, like everyone to some degree.
PC is not a brand though. That's a platform.

Xbox and PC here. I also love Nintendo games, but rarely buy into the platform.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
I only use Colgate toothpaste!! Crest is garbage and makes my teeth feel like i slathered them in used motor oil. Yuck.

Oh this is about video game consoles? Nah I'll play on whatever is best/easiest for me, which has often been PlayStation but Game Pass on Xbox has been an awesome boon for me. And portable play on Switch is fun

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Nope. I have preferences in that I really like Nintendo stuff and care more about them then the others but that neither shields them from criticism nor means I'll buy whatever they put out just because it's theirs. I both like and criticize all of the platforms.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
No. I'm loyal to convenience. What's the easiest way for me to play the most games? That's where I'll go.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I own every console and a great PC. Only thing I'm loyal to is being able to play the best versions of any game I want.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I guess. I've always thought of myself as liking games in general, but I've literally never *not* had a PlayStation console at home so it's hard to say "I have no preference"

Same, though I wouldn't keep buying their systems if they messed up badly. It's my favorite brand overall but it's not a blind fanboy sort of thing.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, in a sense.

Like, I love Civilization games. Some are better than others, but I always enjoy them, and they're well worth the price I pay for them. Firaxis, as a developer, has earned my trust at this point. So I'm loyal to them in that I will assume they'll continue functioning to the standards I expect.

But if another studio starts releasing better products (Humankind?), or they release a string of games I don't find worth the money, or they're gutted and replaced by their parent company, they'll lose that trust and I'll stop buying them.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
I'm brand loyal in the sense that given the choice of two mostly identical products then I would choose the brand I most used to/like even though it might be a bit more expensive(within reason). But I would never blindly buy a brand just because of the brand, and no brand/company can be free from criticism if they do something bad or release a bad product.

This describes me perfectly.

Oct 27, 2017
I have a PS logo tattooed over my heart. PS 4 lyf, we ballin'

Not really, but I've basically had almost only Sony consoles since the PS1.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
In context of games specifically, no I'm not (I've exclusively used Etnies shoes for almost 20 years). I do prefer PC gaming by far, but that has nothing to do with any brands. I'm not really into hardware, I just wanna play great games. Nintendo will always have a soft spot in my heart, even though I skipped GC, Wii and WiiU. I've also owned Playstation and Xbox consoles.

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
I have no brand loyalty. I buy the hardware that has many games that I want to play.

Last gen was PC/PS3/360 + Portables.

This gen is PC/PS4/NSW + Portables.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
You can disagree all you want, but the definition of brand loyalty is exactly preferring one brand over the other and consuming from that brand over the others. It doesn't mean unconditional love. It doesn't mean you can't stop being loyal to a brand or start being loyal to other brands.
If loyalty, being faithful, isn't required for brand loyalty, and the definition of brand loyalty is "exactly preferring one brand over the other", then I would present that the term "brand loyalty" is confusing, not fit for purpose and stupid and it ought to be "brand preference."

Having faith and having preferences is not the same thing, but the term "brand loyalty" conflates the two. I think it's a distinction worth making.
Presumably the term makes sense in marketing contexts, for which it was apparently devised. But in other contexts it's less than helpful, as is evidenced by this turgid linguistic battle taking place.

Turgid is a really good word. Not 100% sure I used it right. I don't care. Stop being so turgid.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
All things I care about equal, I'll buy the Sony and Nintendo platforms first. I'm not sure if that's brand loyal or not, but maybe so?

Oct 25, 2017
I was always gifted a PlayStation so it was never a case of loyalty until maybe I bought myself a PS4--it was a known quantity and had the IP I liked. Is that being brand loyal? and if it is, what's wrong with that?

At the end of the day, you're getting a console with lots of good games so whether you're brand loyal or not it doesn't matter... unless you're console warring.

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
I'm too old to completely change from brand of the last three generations at this point. I am certainly open to polygamous platforming though.

Swift_Gamer

Banned
Dec 14, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
If loyalty, being faithful, isn't required for brand loyalty, and the definition of brand loyalty is "exactly preferring one brand over the other", then I would present that the term "brand loyalty" is confusing, not fit for purpose and stupid and it ought to be "brand preference."

Having faith and having preferences is not the same thing, but the term "brand loyalty" conflates the two. I think it's a distinction worth making.
Presumably the term makes sense in marketing contexts, for which it was apparently devised. But in other contexts it's less than helpful, as is evidenced by this turgid linguistic battle taking place.

Turgid is a really good word. Not 100% sure I used it right. I don't care. Stop being so turgid.
Then you'd have to argue with people that work with this. In the whole industry, the term brand loyalty is used to make customers loyal to you and making sure they keep coming back to you.

Oct 26, 2017
Amalthea
Xbox rocks my world!

...is what I'd like to say, but I'd diss the brand any day if they did something I didn't like. Same with the other manufacturers. And I play across all my systems!

I do have a preference for Xbox, but I wouldn't call myself loyal.

RadzPrower

One Winged Slayer
Jan 19, 2018

There's a difference between loyalty and BLIND loyalty.

I'm loyal to a lot of people in my life, but I am blind loyal to no one. If they do something truly egregious, they can and will lose my loyalty. The same would be true of brands and products...and it's happened. I've used the same shampoo for years now, but the last bottle I got just smelled completely different and now I'll check the next bottle before buying to see if it was some sort of fluke or if I just don't like the new formula.

A sudden shift in how a company does business or the revelation that they literally kill their employees would of course break that loyalty.

ostrichKing

Oct 25, 2017
Considering I almost always end up buying each of the big 3s consoles...I guess you could sort of say I'm loyal to all of them. End of the day...whatever Nintendo puts out I will 100% always be there day one though...

Have a gaming PC...but my wife uses it a lot more than me...

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Take: Brand loyalty is fucking stupid and companies are not your friends.

Xbox rocks my world!

...is what I'd like to say, but I'd diss the brand any day if they did something I didn't like. Same with the other manufacturers. And I play across all my systems!

I do have a preference for Xbox, but I wouldn't call myself loyal.
Same.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Nah, I only buy from platforms that have games that interest me or have handheld alternatives. So typically Sony and Nintendo with the occasional PC game mixed in.

I used to be pretty diehard loyal to Nintendo because I've been buying from them my whole life but they've fucked up so many times they've knocked me out of that. 99% of the reason I buy Sony consoles is for JRPGs, if Xbox (or Nintendo) had them they'd have my money instead.

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm mainly Playstation and Nintendo but I have owned Xbox consoles as well. If the right games are there I will buy the console to play them.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I am loyal to Nintendo in the sense that I will always support them. I do own a PS4 but I barely use it.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
I play more on PC but during this gen I had a PS4 and I have a Switch and XB1. Even on PC I have games on pretty much every launcher there is lol. I go where things are cheaper.

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
Take: Brand loyalty is fucking stupid and companies are not your friends.

companies being your friends or not has nothing to do with brand loyalty. It's literally just a consumer having a particular preference to one brand vs. another and it most certainly doesn't mean that you're some kind of blind slave to any company or corporations.

I must be going mad because I'm failing to see how people are viewing this otherwise.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
People have preferences, its a normal thing.

I have only time for a console, and I dont have time to play all I want. If my consoles till now had been playstation, and I am happy with those experiences I have no reason to change. I would only change if there was something disruptive, like playstation choose a route like the wii having a motion controller, or choose to be a streaming or digital only console, but playstation is known for having soft variations from generation to generation.

In the recent times the only thing that makes me think on a change was gamepass but, as I said, I have little time to play and would not benefit from having a huge library to play.

The opposite side is Nintendo, I never had a Nintendo console so I have no attach for any of their franchises, and tradicionaly Nintendo does not make Home consoles that are competitive in Power to play third party games in specs equivalent to Sony and MS. But its possible to me that some day I will have a Nintendo console because they are the only on the portable market.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Nope; my favorite console of a generation is the one I end up playing the most on, which can be due to a combination of factors.. quality, how much I like the OS, the exclusives.. what my friends are playing on. I also PC game and buy whatever the best CPU/GPU combo is when I upgrade not based on brand.

People doing stuff like cheering on studio acquisitions grinds my gears man.. and then you question them and they say "it's just business, all companies do it"... uhhh.. are you that company? lol

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. I love all my plastic boxes the same.
I was mad at Sony one time years ago and had a personal ban going, but that was back when they were hiding root kits on CDs. When caught, their answer was, " Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?" Well I did, so I didn't buy anything from them for like 10 years.

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Hell no. Corporation loyalty is insanely stupid. I went from PS1 to Xbox to 360 to PS4 and I'll gladly go back to Xbox next gen if their hardware and services are better. When it comes to Nintendo, I skipped N64, GC and Wii U. I also skipped the launch versions of the DS and 3DS because I thought the hardware was terrible.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
companies being your friends or not has nothing to do with brand loyalty. It's literally just a consumer having a particular preference to one brand vs. another and it most certainly doesn't mean that you're some kind of blind slave to any company or corporations.

I must be going mad because I'm failing to see how people are viewing this otherwise.
A preference isn't the same as brand loyalty.

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Oct 27, 2017
It's cute to see the poll results after seeing years and years of review threads.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean.
I'm "loyal" in the sense that I prefer the aesthetic of the Playstation over the other consoles and that I've already established a history on that platform with my trophies and stuff.
So in general, unless they do something really bad, that'll always be my main console that I play the vast majority of my games on.
I still usually buy the other consoles for exclusives though and use my Xbone controller on my PC all the time, so it's not like, a weird level of loyalty I don't think lol.

Zaubrer

Oct 16, 2018
I'm service dependent you could say. I've got hundreds of games on Xbox and their promise to always be back compat is a great thing for my collection.

also, still got gamepass until 22 soooo that's a plus.

if i ever have the money over i surely will buy a switch (or whatever nintendo) and ps4/5 but I guess my main machine will be Xbox for quite some time.

i could imagine switching to pc at some point tho

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
Kinda yeah...love my PS products and Apple and stick with them first.

but if there's an obvious better option available, for example I got X360 over PS3 in the early years I will jump ship.

been sticking with Apple for a while now even though I think there's better phones hardware wise out there.

btw it's not wrong to be loyal to a brand lol, y'all ain't being truthful with those poll options versus discussions on this forum. I had an interesting debate with CoryBarlog on Twitter about it. You can like an ecosystem and choose it over other just because it's what you're familiar/comfortable with.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Definitely not, but I do have preference for platforms that increase my ability to customise and do what I want with a game or such.

THe more options, the better for me - which can change with the wind in the PC space rather quickly.

AmFreak

Oct 26, 2017

Preference can be explained, i prefer tea to coffee, because of the taste, the ingredients, price, etc.
You normally prefer something because objectively it's the better choice for you.
Brand loyalty may not and goes far deeper:
Brand loyalty, in marketing, consists of a consumer's commitment to repurchase or continue to use the brand. It can be demonstrated by repeated buying of a product, service, or other positive behaviors such as word of mouth advocacy.[2] This concept of a brand displays imagery and symbolism for a product or range of products. Brands can have the power to engage consumers and make them feel emotionally attached.[3] Consumer's beliefs and attitudes make up brand images, and these affect how they will view brands with which they come into contact.[4] Brand experience occurs when consumers shop or search for, and consume products.[5] Holistic experiences such as sense, relation, acting and feeling occur when one comes into contact with brands. The stronger and more relational these senses are to the individual, the more likely repeat purchase behavior will occur. After contact has been made, psychological reasoning will occur, followed by a buy or not-buy decision. This can result in repeat purchase behavior, thus incurring the beginning brand loyalty.[6] Brand loyalty is not limited to repeat purchase behavior, as there is deeper psychological reasoning as to why an individual will continuously re-purchase products from one brand. Brand loyalty can be shortly defined as the "behavioral willingness" to consistently maintain relations with a particular brand.[7] In a survey of nearly 200 senior marketing managers, 68 percent responded that they found the "loyalty" metric very useful.[8]

True brand loyalty occurs when consumers are willing to pay higher prices for a certain brand and go out of their way for the brand, or think highly of it.

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not really, I go where the products are good and fits my needs.

I'll admit that I am a bit biased towards more known brands for like, home appliances, but it stops at that.

lightning16

May 17, 2019
I've preferred Nintendo for the past 16 years or so, all else being equal, so I guess? Depends on how far you're reading into the loyalty part. I have a preference and it's based on many years of Nintendo providing things I enjoy.