• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brand loyalty?

• Are you kidding me?

Votes: 1,378 69.5%
  • PlayStation is my life

Votes: 258 13.0%
  • Xbox rocks my world

Votes: 63 3.2%
  • Nintendo to rule them all

Votes: 191 9.6%
  • PC Master Race

Votes: 92 4.6%

• Total voters

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
In terms of defending questionable choices and console warring? No, not at all.

But I think I'd be kidding myself if I said I wasn't biased towards certain brands, like Sony, especially since I've got generations of their console and handheld games, an account with pages of purchased items and years of data. It's for that reason why if there's a multiplatform game, I'd likely get it on the platform I'm most familiar with.

Every time I think about purchasing a game or piece of hardware from any company, it's typically not from a clean slate.

Last edited:

ericsp17

Oct 27, 2017
No I usually end up with all of them, but they have to earn it first. Didn't buy any consoles this Gen until they had something I wanted to play.

calibos

Dec 13, 2017
Yes. - Mainly a Microsoft guy.(not just Xbox)

and

No. - I dabble in Nintendo, Sony, and Steam

I have slowly aged out of the fanboy or brand boy world. Excited for any and all next gen products.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Nah. But I have preferences. I'm indifferent to Xbox because they don't have games I want to play and between Nintendo and PlayStation, Nintendo have done the most to piss me off

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
can you define what brand loyalty means? because I have owned Sony Consoles since day one and continue to buy their consoles day of launch. I've never had a major problem with any of them. My friends are on Sony consoles, I'm tied into that ecosystem enough to where I don't care to change. I like trophies. The games that release on their consoles have always been of more interest to me than Microsoft's. I also own a ton of retro consoles and a Switch.

Am I brand loyal? I won't go to bat for them. I don't bother in pathetic console wars nonsense. I don't care how you spell or pronounce anything. I don't care what you play or why you play it. I just like what I like.

Am I brand loyal?

Oct 20, 2018
Brazil
I mean, I technically am since I've only ever owned Nintendo consoles, but the reason I don't own the other consoles is not really because of brand loyalty and more because their exclusives don't really appeal to me. I do use Steam a lot as well since I've always played on PC too.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Not at all.

I do tend to have a favourite console for each generation and will defend my choice if needed but I've flip-flopped so many times over what my favourite is that for a particular Gen that I have no clear favourite going into a New Gen and try to keep a clear and level head.

I grew up as a Sega kid with a Mega Drive and hadn't heard of Nintendo until the N64. Then I adored my N64 over the PS1 - never owned a Saturn - but preferred PS2 over the competition until Xbox Live came out at which time I adored my OG Xbox.

Then I preferred the 360 over its competition and this Gen I prefer the PS4 over its competition. All comes down to those amazing exclusive games and where your friends are playing Multiplats really - although I'm not as Social or focused on Multiplayer experiences as much anymore. I will also say that I love my PC and I adore my Switch - it is by far my favourite Nintendo console since the N64 - so I'm happy all round with my systems at the moment.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
No. And something is seriously wrong with anybody who has loyalty to mega corporations or the plastic boxes they make.

Ceannaire

Dec 12, 2017
These companies aren't your friends. you need to choose what suits you at a given time.
its hard to be loyal to a companies when they try nickle and dime you constantly or are always fighting against stuff that would benefit a user, in order to make more money.
its probably easier to be loyal to a dev than to console/platform holders

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck no. Never have been.

Funnily enough, I was banned twice at The Old Place for console warring, which I always found amusing given I have no brand loyalty and will play anything with periodic voltage.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
I have always owned them all and I will always own them all.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Nope, never have been.
I've not played or owned every console, but certainly not due to it being not being my favourite brand.

I've always preferred Sony and SEGA to their competition, but I'd happily play anything, as long as there are things I'd want to play.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just interested in playing games. People that get so caught up in a specific platform or storefront are tiring.

Oct 27, 2017
I was brand loyal until I grew up and had the money to buy whatever I wanted, so I had no need to justify my gaming decisions in front of my friends. When you're a kid you don't know better and you don't want to feel stupid because you chose the wrong console and your dad won't buy you another.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Of course not, I'm not a child anymore. Any kind of brand loyalty is incredibly dumb.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly yeah of course, I prefer Sony above the others because their games appeal to me, I like my Sony first party template and trophies. I do own all console this gen and last gen but I have a preferred platform and the others are mainly exclusive machine or gamepass machine.

Pretty funny too that a lot of guys that seems a bit fanboyish here on Era are saying no, come on guys I see you do mental gymnastics just to defend your platform. Embrace it lol

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
No. I use PC DD services other than Steam, would be eyeing a Switch to complement my PS4 if emulation weren't progressing nicely, would have no qualms switching to an AMD GPU for the first time in over a decade if the performance, features, and price were right, and currently intend to upgrade from an i7 8700K to an AM5 processor of some sort next year.

Last edited:

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know, The term PC Master race deeply unsettles me, I just find it more than a cringy term for tongue in cheek pc fanboyism in light of its veiled true meaning of Nazi Germany, "Master Race" and its "Aryan" fallacies.

Deleted member 59848

Alt Account
Banned
Sep 8, 2019
I have to be honest and admit I will just buy every Nintendo home console, even the Wii U, on day 1. And I'm a one-console-at-a-time kind of guy due to time limitations.

If I wasn't brand loyal I would be on PS4 because that's where I can play the most top-tier games. Crazy isn't it.

(Thankfully Nintendo did good this gen.)

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
No. And something is seriously wrong with anybody who has loyalty to mega corporations or the plastic boxes they make.
why though? I'd like to know why you think something is "seriously" wrong with people for having a preference for a product they've been happy with for however long they've been using said product?

Would it be weird if I said I've been playing guitar for nearly 20 years and that I love Fender guitars and will always buy Fender guitars?

I'm just curious, I don't consider myself brand loyal but I don't think people have serious issues if they are.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
God no. It's something I truly have never understood at all.

This applies to everything not just games of course

Launchpad

Oct 26, 2017
I don't consider myself a brand loyalist but I do play almost exclusively on PC but that's because of the open nature of it. If Sony were to have a system remotely similar I would certainly be interested.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
can you define what brand loyalty means? because I have owned Sony Consoles since day one and continue to buy their consoles day of launch. I've never had a major problem with any of them. My friends are on Sony consoles, I'm tied into that ecosystem enough to where I don't care to change. I like trophies. The games that release on their consoles have always been of more interest to me than Microsoft's. I also own a ton of retro consoles and a Switch.

Am I brand loyal? I won't go to bat for them. I don't bother in pathetic console wars nonsense. I don't care how you spell or pronounce anything. I don't care what you play or why you play it. I just like what I like.

Am I brand loyal?
I think there's a major difference between brand loyalty and being a console warrior. You've owned all of the previous PlayStations and play to buy their consoles (plural) at launch. If you're not doing the same for Microsoft or Nintendo then yeah, I'd say that's brand loyalty. It's not a bad thing, it's just representative of your purchase history and your decision to purchase things from the same company that don't exist yet.

Oct 27, 2017
Not really. I do have my preferences.

I like Nintendo exclusives the most. My main console, though, is a PS4. I've stopped gaming on PC altogether, so that was the most logical choice for me to make the switch to console gaming.

I recently bought an Xbox One X to try to get into "casual" (i.e. not Platinum hunting) gaming. Game Pass is incredible for that.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I play across all systems but Switch is my focus due to my job and convenience of the form actor. If a game interests me though I'll play it regardless of platform so I wouldn't say I'm brand loyal in the typical sense? I mean some of my favourite games of the generation are Ori, Bloodborne and Breath of the Wild - a pretty even spread

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am brand loyal to Sony only because they cater to my interests and needs. This includes a controller with symmetrical sticks that I actually enjoy holding, compared to an Xbox controller which I really dislike. They also have games and series that I'm really invested in, where as I have not had much exposure to any Xbox exclusive series, therefore I have no reason to want one. Lastly, the Playstation library dating back to its inception really appeals to me. To this end, I have brand loyalty to Sony because they do everything I need them to and see no reason to go to a competitor that does less for me.

HOWEVER, I have been seeing rumors that might be from the many arses of some people here that Microsoft could buy From Software, at which point I may feel forced to buy an Xbox. The Souls games are some of my favorite games ever, so if I don't have access to them on Playstation... ugh I don't want to think about it. Just imagining myself having to contend with an Xbox controller to play that series on a console I'd care little to buy anything else for that isn't a From Software game really annoys me hahaha

Oh, and I am also a fan of the Metroid and Paper Mario series, so I do own a Switch. I continue to wait like a fool for a Metroid Prime Trilogy that feels like will never come.

Euan_1981

Apr 23, 2018
Since rrod on 3 Xbox 360s I was playstation only. I detoxed myself from trophies, since then I've bought a switch and love it. Would love a gaming PC but not something I can afford atm.

Segaswirl

Feb 5, 2018
Glasgow, Scotland.
I've owned every PlayStation and have a PS4 Pro, PSVR and even a Vita... but I always gravitate towards the Xbox, i've always bought them on launch, it's what I buy most of my games for and spend most of my gaming time on.

big_z

Nov 2, 2017
A lot of fanboys on this forum that wont admit to it.

Im for nintendo at heart despite not having a switch(yet) but play on everything.

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Wow i'm actually really surprised by how much of a bad rep brand loyalty has among some people here. Lol. I mean i like a certain potato chip brand, i like a certain hair product, i've always owned a Samsung TV, and i have faith in a certain game console producer. I mean you guys who are so opposed to being brand loyal, always buy different brands of food, products etc? I don't think there is anything weird about being loyal to a brand or company.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Do you seriously use PC Master Race unironically there?

Anyway, I've always been multiplatform, but I always have a PC and Playstation system with me. Never had an XBox in my life, and I've only had a few Nintendo hardwares.

Renfran

Alt Account
Banned
Aug 28, 2018
No. If I want to play a game I play it. It doesn't matter what it's on. Why would you limit yourself to so many good games purposely just to support a corporation? I don't understand the mentality of championing plastic boxes and corporates to picking a side. Games are meant to be played by everyone.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Never about nothing. I think is really stupid to be loyal to brands or praise brands.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My best "retro gaming" memories come from the PS2 era. I grew up on Nintendo, skipped the PS1, and then had a friend blow my mind with GTA3 on his PS2 and that's where it all started.

But with the launch of the Xbox 360, all of my friends were getting one so I went that route...only to end up with fucking FOUR RROD's. That was fucking it. Put me off of the Xbox brand for good.

I am extremely happy with my PS4/Switch combo this gen and want for nothing in my gaming needs. I'm not loyal to one or the other and I've even toyed with the idea of getting an Xbox One X but...nah, I'm good.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
why though? I'd like to know why you think something is "seriously" wrong with people for having a preference for a product they've been happy with for however long they've been using said product?

Would it be weird if I said I've been playing guitar for nearly 20 years and that I love Fender guitars and will always buy Fender guitars?

I'm just curious, I don't consider myself brand loyal but I don't think people have serious issues if they are.

That's a specious analogy. Consoles are significantly driven by the games that can be played on them. Brand loyalty to me implies you'd stick with them even if they no longer offer what you find most appealing. These corporations aren't your friend and they aren't here to cater to your every need. They're in the business to make money and nothing more.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I had : Amstrad 6128, Megadrive, Super NES, Gameboy, PlayStation, Saturn, Neo Geo, PC, 360, PS3, DS, PS4.

I'm just following the games...