• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Definitely. I have a good amount of disposable income, just not much time to play the games because I'm too busy making that disposable income...

Majora's Mask

Oct 26, 2017
Last year during the black friday sales and the couple of weeks after that I bought an insane amount of games, just because they were dirty cheap.

I've been better this year. During the e3 shop sales I was about to pull the trigger for Dark Souls and Civilization VI and stopped myself. I've got too much to play and so little time.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've grown out of it. An impulse means you fell for the marketing. A great game will still be great in ten years time.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Thankfully not recently, never for full priced games but when a game goes on a below £15 sale I have to find ways to resist

Euler007

Jan 10, 2018
Impulsive isn't the right word. I do buy games that realistically can't fit in my schedule and are doomed to my backlog because they will never be my "next" game.

Oaklight

Avenger
Jun 16, 2018
I tend to crack and start spending when there is a good sale going on. Last summer I bought a ton of games because I had just gotten an xbox one x and there was a sale going on and I just couldn't resist. I'm still going through my backlog to this day because of that.

I have gotten much better over time at controlling my urge to impulse buy and only buy games I am truly interested in and know that I will play.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I am. Probably once a month I get in a "I want to buy myself something" kind of mood. It's almost always video game related. Usually just a game or two, so nothing crazy. However, I basically have zero time to play any games, so I'm accumulating quite the collection.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
100%

The biggest albatross feeding my impulse-purchasing habits is that I'm primarily into the indie scene. So nabbing new titles is never more than $15-$20 a pop, making insta-purchases far less guilt-inducing than if I were into the $60 AAA gaming.

My latest addiction:

Soooo good.

MoogleWizard

Oct 27, 2017
No, I've become extremely picky about which games I buy. I only buy games that I know suit my tastes, and if I have the time to actually play them.

BigHatPaul

May 28, 2019
Yes if it's a game I've been wanting for a while or it's something that sprung up out of nowhere for me. Latest examples: A Plague Tale and Darkwood.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Yep but thankfully services like XGP and EA Access are helping to prevent me from buying random games whenever they are on sale. Also, overcoming FOMO helps.

cooldawn

Oct 28, 2017
This is something I've dealt with for most of my gaming life, i see a game that looks great and even if i have a huge backlog i still buy the damn thing, knowing the game will probably go on sale before i even get to play it i still buy it, does this happen to you? And if it did and you got over it how did you do it?
Used to be. Since the start of this year I've held-off buying a game until I complete backlog. I've just completed Spider-Man and started Red Dead Redemption II...both I bought at full price.

It's just wasting money.

Next-generation I might just bite the bullet and start to buy digital titles post launch because, although digital titles in the UK are very expensive, sales usually at the very least equalise cost but could also be cheaper after launch.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
All the time. I have an absurd amount of games and I hate it.
Yep. I'm really going to make an big effort to stop unless it's a game I really have been looking forward to. And even then, I'm going to make sure I sit and finish it before the next purchase.

I think I'm also less likely to pull the trigger on certain titles now that there are so many subscription services on PC. I can just wait for them to appear on there.

Zonal Hertz

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
I'm lucky enough to be in a position where I can impulsively buy and I love it to be honest.

Playing whatever I fancy whenever, I rarely complete games unless they are amazing and I'd hate to be someone who can't deal with a backlog of games to play as I fear my hobby would start feeling like I job.

El_TigroX

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
I've gotten better over the years, but from time to time I still throw down and buy a game even though I know I won't be able to get to it for a while. My work schedule and travel schedule for work makes a lot of stuff difficult to play week of release... I definitely show much more restraint in the fall when I know games will fire sale for black friday.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Nah, games generally always get cheaper and cheaper and I love a good deal

I have about 13-15 games in my backlog and only really spend about £150 a year on games, and I still manage to beat 25-40 games a year, with 95% of those being games I've never played before

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
My backlog is embarassing. I've come to the realization that part of the problem is commitment. Instead of finishing X, I will pick up Y. I don't finish Y so I'll start Z, etc. Nowadays I ask myself, "Will you actually finish this game?" More often than not the answer is no and that's kept me from making impulse purchases.

Blizzcut

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I used to be pretty reckless when it came to pre ordering and buying games. But if this gen has proved anything is that the wait and see approach with certain developers is the safer more agreeable approach. I've been burned quite a few times and I'm catching up the times I feel. Especially how game companies feel its totally fine to ship half baked games nowadays and fix them a year or two later.

Cokesouls

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yes, but video games are pretty much my only passion so there's that.
Need to be more careful though, might not buy Mario Maker now that I bought so many games already.

Aeron

Oct 27, 2017
I mostly restrain myself.

But sometimes I have a regrettable splurge when I haven't bought much for a while.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
This is something I've dealt with for most of my gaming life, i see a game that looks great and even if i have a huge backlog i still buy the damn thing, knowing the game will probably go on sale before i even get to play it i still buy it, does this happen to you? And if it did and you got over it how did you do it?
ME, totally. I used to do it a LOT back in the day, then I stopped. Just put a video game buying ban in place for myself. Then I started again and stopped. I find these days that I buy a lot only occasionally, and sometimes I can go months without buying anything.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Track every game you buy and now much it cost you in a spreadsheet, make the total massive, so you can't avoid seeing how much you have spent on games you don't have time to play

When you beat a game, remove it from the list and watch the number fall

Next time you see a game you want, open the spreadsheet, look at the figure, feel the shame, embrace it, and go back to a game in your backlog instead

Every time you remove $100 from your list, allow yourself $25 to spend on a new game

Continue until your backlog is manageable

Moves

Oct 27, 2017
If it's a game I've been waiting for and hyped for I buy day one and ignore everything else.

Otherwise I'm usually pretty good about waiting to buy a new game I want until after i'm done playing the games I own.

Atisha

Banned
Nov 28, 2017

My suggestion is to think a while longer before pulling that orgasmic trigger.

Do i really need this? Images of the backlog come trickling down. Shouldn't i whittle that down? I really do have plenty to play, if i bide my time, that usually pays.
Is this really great? How many times have i bitten on the hype for something great, that turned out to be not so great?

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
No.

This whole gen I have only bought 5 full priced games.

SRW V, SRW X, SRW T, RE2(2019) and NieR Automata.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I become an impulsive buyer in sales, and I need to stop doing that. My backlog is too big and I can use that money for something more important than buying videogames.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I was until I hit my mid 30s, both in terms of modern and retro games. I picked up more than my fair share of games just from box blurbs or even cover art.

These days, I hardly buy new games at all, and they're almost always new games in series that I have a long standing history with.

CDV13

Jan 30, 2018
No, I only buy a game I know I am going to play right away, and one I have been looking forward to. Hearing about some of the backlogs people have on this site though, there are many here. Lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Use to be because sales are hard to beat. But after accumulating such a backlog, I'm kind of disgusted that I had that habit in the first place since I'm way over my head in games from multiple generations and I'm done with it. By the time I want these new games coming out, its already over a year or two later and they are already reduced by $50 by that time. So in a way, I am saving far more money by waiting. Nintendo however is the only company I really hate because their games rarely go on sale and apart of me feels like its greedy.

ioriyagami

Oct 28, 2017
No. I play all I buy. If I am not 100% convinced I will play it, I don't buy it. (unless its price is $0)

honorless

Oct 28, 2017
Get on that wishlist habit, friend. When you see something you want, you know you won't play it immediately and you know you'd regret it if it went on sale before you got the chance? Wishlist.

...My problem is generally the opposite. I need to figure out when it's OK to buy the game "anyway"—before it's so old it never goes on sale again before being delisted, and/or reasonably-priced physical copies that aren't in shit shape dry up.

A little impulsiveness isn't a terrible thing.

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Only did it once on bestbuy offer and never again. I bought the 2 games 1 free offer like 4 years ago? It was assassin creed unity - 2 other games I can't remember.

Literally 4 years later they were still in their plastic bag none touched. I gifted them all to a friend knowing I won't be ever touching them.

Yeah since then there wasn't a time where I bought a game and not play it thankfully.

ShapeDePapa

Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Game Pass and the bunch of free games Epic is giving away are a god send. I don't buy games new/day 1 because they cost 90$ canadian after taxes

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
theres not much to buy lately. i even logged into steam since who knows when and didn't see anything worth buying.