• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you against the death penalty?

• It's an appropriate punishment only for the worst crimes.

Votes: 359 22.9%
  • It's not a good punishment, no matter the circumstances.

Votes: 1,209 77.1%

• Total voters

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep.

Even if you think it's morally justified (I don't) judicial systems are far too flawed to ever argue for irreversible punishments in my opinion.

Pretty much. I have no problem executing a murderer or serial rapist but our justice system routinely convicts innocent people so I can't support it, even for people I know are guilty of heinous crimes.

MagicDoogies

Oct 31, 2017
I dance pretty close to it-especially with certain cases and people where they clearly show no remorse for what they did like the New Zealand Shooter. What brings me back is that killing the culprits doesn't bring the loved ones back, and whatever gratification and happiness it brings to the victims family...that feeling is always temporary, the people gone is forever.
I don't know man. I don't want them wasting tax dollars sitting in a jail, but killing them isn't really a 'solution' either.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Yes, but honestly only because not all people who get the death penalty really deserve it, and death is permanent you can't release them if they turn out to be innocent.

And there was that sickly GW Bush video Is arched of him laughing while sentencing someone to death. That's shit is sickening. I bet a lot of people have been executed who didn't really do it or deserve it.

...But at the same time I don't feel particularly bad if someone gets executed and they did something absolutely abhorrent like they gangraped and disemboweled someone alive as in that Indian case.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
Morally, I'm not entirely opposed to it (since I'm fine at least with us executing the Nazis), but logistically, any systematic method of sentencing will fuck up, so we shouldn't be using it as part of a justice system.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the USA the only western country that still has the death penalty?
Depending on your definition of "western countries" you end up with something like 60 countries without death penalty + the USA.
It always felt barbaric and uncultured to imagine living in a society that still does executions.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Some people deserve to die, child killers, mass murders, pedophile's, school shooters, terrorists. I just don't like that we spend so much doing it. Throw them in a place like Cell Block 99 and call it a day or figure out a way to do it cheaply.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017
I'll happily state, and stand by, the view that the executions after the Nuremberg Trials were wrong and should not have happened.

At no point do we lower ourselves to it. It isn't about the possibilities of mistakes, it is about who we are as a people.

SaraNWrap

Alt account
Banned
Jan 30, 2019
I'm for it in theory but absolutely hell no in actuality. Just the people who get off from crimes 20-30 years later is enough to say fuck no.

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No, because death is actually a pretty light punishment. Especially for crazy people who think they're going to go to heaven.
I'm of the opinion that solitary confinement is a far better punishment.
Being locked in a cage for all of your life and slowly losing your mind as you relive the experience every day?
that's a lot more satisfying.

I'm especially against it considering how many false convictions there are. The chance of executing even 1 innocent person makes it not worth it.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. The fact that an innocent person can be executed should make everyone opposed to it.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Voted for worst possible crimes because some people just shouldn't be walking on this Earth after they do some heinous shit.

No, because death is actually a pretty light punishment. Especially for crazy people who think they're going to go to heaven.
Being locked in a cage for all of your life and slowly losing your mind as you relive the experience every day?

I'm especially against it considering how many false convictions there are. The chance of executing even 1 innocent person makes it not worth it.

I do agree with this, but no garuntee that will happen.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

But you're perfectly okay with driving innocent people insane by keeping them in solitary confinement for year after year?

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
yes,for a variety of reasons from moral to practical(cost)

honestly I just don't see any particular reason for it to be a thing,it's proven to not really be an effective deterrent,it costs more,it feels barbaric pretty much any angle you want to look at it from it just doesn't make sense

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I don't think the state should have the right to murder its citizens no matter how heinous they are.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm against it due to the fact that in order to have rights, you have to be alive. If you don't have the right to live then you essentially have no rights.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
"It's an appropriate punishment only for the worst crimes."

This is how I feel, but I'm still against the death penalty. I wish the poll just had yes or no as responses.

clemenx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Venezuela
I'm against it because all of the bureaucracy makes it much more expensive and time consuming than the alternatives. Just locking em up forever for all intents and purposes is the same and "cleaner" to achieve.

Morally I don't think there's anything wrong with it. But it isn't a fight worth fighting.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I'm against it just because there have been mistakes.

I live in Colorado. In my lifetime we have only had three people on Death Row (and none of them have actually been executed yet). I am not against these three people being put to death. The crimes were terrible.

One killed four co-workers at a Chuck E Cheese (after closing).
The other two were involved in the murder of a man and his fiance who were going to testify against one of them. One ordered the assassination, the other carried it out. I was actually almost seated on a jury for the driver in the crime.

Given Colorado's very hesitant use of it, I grew up thinking it was an acceptable punishment when used responsibly like this. But not every state is Colorado, and there have been too many mistakes. I'd rather have a system where the wrong person can't be killed.

Oct 25, 2017
It's bad in nearly every way possible. But above all else at its core, taking away someone's life essentially because their existence was met with a set of circumstances that pushed them to make the decisions they did, and that set of circumstances was provided by a society that is now the thing taking their life... that's just some weird shit to reconcile.

This is how I feel, but I'm still against the death penalty. I wish the poll just had yes or no as responses.
People don't know how to make polls on this website.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland

If you say you're against the death penalty but you still think it's okay to use it in some circumstances, then you're not actually against the death penalty.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If you say you're against the death penalty but you still think it's okay to use it in some circumstances, then you're not actually against the death penalty.
I'm saying I'm against the death penalty because innocent people die. I do think some crimes warrant the punishment of death, I don't trust a jury to make that decision and we've gotten it wrong many times. Unfortunately the poll has no option that reflects how I feel.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I'm saying I'm against the death penalty because innocent people die. I do think some crimes warrant the punishment of death, I don't trust a jury to make that decision and we've gotten it wrong many times. Unfortunately the poll has no option that reflects how I feel.

I'd be all for universal gun ownership if they only shot a harmless and gentle stream of drinkable water. But here we are in the real world. Not so keen on guns.

Oct 25, 2017
That it's unnecessary to discuss hypothetical cases when we have abundant evidence that such cases bear no relation to reality. It's impossible to separate the principle from its implementation because we lack both perfect knowledge and perfect judgement.
I think all this does is just illustrate the point she was really trying to make, which is the OP baking the premises into the polls responses was frustrating for anyone who has a concurring opinion.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Once upon a time, I was for the death penalty in extreme cases. Pretty mundane opinion on it, if I'm being honest.

But the more I think about it, the more the idea that the government can legally just kill you makes me nauseous. I'm not sure if I could logically argue it, but I can picture being the guy on death row counting down the days you have left to live, and everyone you know will think "This is justice." And it's fucked.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
That it's unnecessary to discuss hypothetical cases when we have abundant evidence that such cases bear no relation to reality. It's impossible to separate the principle from its implementation because we lack both perfect knowledge and perfect judgement.
Nothing I said was hypothetical. I'm not sure what you're talking about. I feel some crimes warrant the punishment of death, but I don't trust a jury to make that decision thus I don't support the death penalty. What don't you understand about this?

This option isn't in the poll because the OP added descriptions which don't match my answer.

I think all this does is just illustrate the point she was really trying to make, which is the OP baking the premises into the polls responses was frustrating for anyone who has a concurring opinion.
Exactly this. Thank you.

TrojanAg

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I'm against it because the justice system is fucked, and I can't feel confident that they haven't killed innocent people in the past. This is not to say that there aren't extreme cases where people deserve to be put down, like Osama Bin Laden was.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
The threat of the death penalty seems to assist in plea deals which helps recover victims' bodies and stuff but as far as I'm aware there's still no evidence it deters crimes. That's my only conflict about it. But in the context of actually carrying it out I'm against it.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
No, im not. Im very supportive to it. I have seen the worst crimes ever happened. Some of those do not deserve benevolence

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Some people deserve to die, child killers, mass murders, pedophile's, school shooters, terrorists

I actually wont put school terrorists and child killers into that death penalty category, but i agree with terrorists. I lost my friends in a terrorist attack, i dont have to say which terrorist attack it was and i think people can figure that out

Lol. I know which people you are talking about

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Against it.

Because it doesn't solve any problems, if the person will be in jail for the rest of their life and won't ever do any more harm. The only reasons for it are on a necessity for further revenge.

It really only reveals inhumanity on part of the culture that administrates it. If a culture truly values life, then there's no greater punishment for someone than living without freedom for the rest of their life. Why would you give them an easy escape out of their punishment, while at the same time violating your own values.

There's also the chance of actual rehabilitation under certain circumstances, that should never be discarded. If they never change they stay locked up, but for certain cases, specially very young people, we should never discard their ability to grow.

Last edited:

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
There are too many issues with the death penalty that I can't agree with it.

Jails are bloody expensive. On the one hand, you could kill off the worst criminals so they don't have to live in jail and eat tax dollars. On the other, smarter hand, why kill a handful of criminals when there is a plethora of low-risk offenders that you could release?

Also, the tax dollars spent on prison guard salaries could be better spent on workers who can help rehabilitate prisoners and help integrate them back into society, preventing them from being sent back to prison, which means less prison guards are needed, which means prisons will slowly become cheaper over time.

The highest risk offenders, including the ones that would be sent to Death Row, could just be housed in what regular prisons are now.

Also, in a perfect system there would be no citizens falsely incarcerated, but it happens, and to have someone on Death Row killed for a crime they didn't commit is not a risk I'm willing to take.

The more I think about it, the less I can rationalize the death penalty. There are a ton of better options.

Feb 16, 2018
I'm against it like 99% of the time, but like serial killers with tons of evidence against them can just go, fuck em. But yeah I'd rather our justice system send people to either be rehabilitated or just rot in a cell.

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Yea, I guess I am not. Some people are monsters and there's no changing them. Like, imagine just locking Ted Bundy up forever - what's the point? Just ace 'em.

Last edited:

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I'm 100% against the death penalty. I believe everyone can redeem themselves and experience a true repentance. Jesus Christ can free a person even if they are locked up behind bars for the rest of their lives.

Last edited: