• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017

Really really hope this turns out well, the original was one of my favorites back then next to Eerie, Indiana and Salute Your Shorts.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm hoping they aren't going overboard with jumpscares, the original wasn't like that.
Ditto. In fact, a majority of the episodes injected quite a bit of lightheartedness and humor...at least, until things really get spooky. I can't wait for this, hope it's good. My 10 year old has seen all the original episodes so we are both hyped. I have confidence, they wouldn't dare screw this up...would they?

Oh, and I really hope they bring some dark stories too. Tale of the Pinball Wizard comes to mind but there are just so many. Zebo the Clown legitimately scared me as a kid (same with Zeke the plumber from Salute Your Shorts, fuck that nightmare fuel). The Tale of Dark Music gave me horrible dreams (that tall-ass creepy doll person thing within the dark basement room) because it basically involved a bullied kid with a monster in his basement who asked the kid to lure others into the basement so it can eat them...and in exchange, the entity conjured up gifts/rewards. The monster only becomes active when music is played. Bully who destroyed the kid's bike gets consumed in the basement while insanely loud heavy metal blasts from some speakers. The episode ends with the implication that the main character is about to feed his "annoying" little sister to the entity in the basement. Jesus Christ.

So many classic staples too like Dr. Vink ("With a va-va-va!"), Sardo the owner of the magic shop ("That's Sar-DOH! No mister, accent on the do!"), not to mention the fact that a ton of Canadian actors/actresses were featured on the show prior to a lot of them making it big in Hollywood (Ryan Gosling comes to mind). Episodes like The Tale of the Renegade Virus would be even more relevant to today's culture where VR is actually a thing that far more people have experienced than at the time the original episode released. I mean, fuck...the concept of a hell-bent computer virus in a VR game somehow making its way into the real world (after temporarily trapping you in a VR world which is indistinguishable from real life, no less) is just...terrifying. It was basically A Nightmare on Elm Street with VR rather than dreams lol.

Last edited:

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I so loved this show as a teenager. And of course they're turning it into a LOUD NOISES fest. It's sad to see that this is what people associate with "horror" nowadays.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
i'm intrigued but i hope they actually write good stories like the originals, as others have already commented above.

also: i didn't watch much of the last season of the show because the cast was almost completely different from the original crew, and i didn't feel connected with them anymore. plus i wasn't much into the stories.

hell, i'd love for some/all of the original cast to come back and even RE-TELL their favorite stories so we could see them remade. i don't even need new stories.

DrEvil

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
She threw way too much powder onto the fire. Ross Hull needs to step in and teach her proper sand conservation techniques.

zeioIIDX

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
She threw way too much powder onto the fire. Ross Hull needs to step in and teach her proper sand conservation techniques.
This made my day, thanks.

While I'm here, you know something I always liked about this show and other Canadian-produced kid shows in the 90s? I always noticed that they were incredibly diverse. There were episodes of Goosebumps as well as Are You Afraid of the Dark? that featured white kids, black kids, Asian kids, Mexican kids, main characters with disabilities, kids with divorced parents, lots of interracial couples, you name it. Looking back, it seemed really progressive in that regard so hopefully they keep that spirit with the new series (granted, I know it's only supposedly 3 episodes worth of a reboot but still). Even as a kid, the diversity of the show always made me feel good because there were plenty episodes with girls/women as main characters, people of color as main characters, etc...and it always seemed fairly well-balanced.

Last edited:

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
Loved the show as a child. Tale of the Silver Sight is always the one I remember the most, mostly because I would always catch the reruns.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
The original show is awesome. I rewatched it recently and I still enjoyed the stories.

Hope this new show is good and loved upto the originals.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
I felt so cool watching this show when I was a kid. The midnight society were the shit. Not sure how I feel about this.

Dremorak

Oct 25, 2017
New Zealand
WTH, that looked exactly how I remembered it. As in, I would think this was a teaser for the original if this thread didn't exist.

Weird.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's a long series of YouTube videos that did MST3K-style commentary over the old episodes. I've become slowly obsessed it it:

They were too cheap to do any kind of special effects so they hired Tia & Tamara to play a girl and her evil twin in the same scene. Of course the bigger and more hilarious running joke is that the entire episode is about killer chameleons and the chameleon is played by an iguana.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
They seem to be pushing the jump scare horror vibe a little too much.

That's probably a good call for the demographic they're targeting. Psychological horror would probably be lost on the audience, and gore is out of the question. This works for the network / demographic.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Caught the first episode and it wasn't too bad.

Definitely better than I thought it would be, not a particularly scary episode but it had its moment.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
Kinda expected one off stories but a continuous storyline seems good

nice set up, I'll continue watching

Yeah I was disappointed they went with the continuous story rather than anthology, but the first story wasn't bad. Really surprised at the quality for a made for tv kids show. I wish they would just reboot the original format though.