• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jay

Oct 25, 2017
Direct deposit and not living paycheck to paycheck (so I don't check that often nor remember which days I even get paid) kind of neuter any direct hit I'd feel from getting paid.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If I could be granted a lump sum of 10 mil and have to live off that the rest of my life I'd take it.

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
I was straight up addicted to salary. I made WAY more money than I actually needed and I still wanted more.

However I finally woke up and quit my job last year to pursue a masters. Hopefully in the future I'll work on projects I actually enjoy rather than clocking into a company to make that dollar.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's the reason why my company was frustrated when I didn't take the salary position in my company. Unfortunately, I think they are in the talks to make my position a Salary, so I am probably going to get screwed in the future.
They can't just do that, although I'm sure they think they can. Positions must meet definitions under federal labor laws to be declared exempt. So, if they try to reclassify you, you can complain to the Department of Labor. That may not protect your job if they find out who the whistleblower is, but it's an option.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I'am kinda addicted to seeing how much I make each paycheck, I'am technically part time but I pick up extra shifts so my pay is always different.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
As someone who is self-employed, not really. If anything it's just another source of stress.

Deleted member 17347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
tumblr_nx21mqy2ww1spfigfo2_540.gif

Air

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like getting paid because I have to survive. I wouldn't be upset if money disappeared forever though

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
I live for my salary sure. There is a reason why we must work as adults. But I would definitely change jobs if my work did not offer interesting challenge anymore.

RedShift

Oct 27, 2017
I don't live paycheck to paycheck but I do obsessively budget, so every time I get paid I get the high of assigning my monthly salary to different spending categories and savings goals.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I was without work for most of my 20s...i didn't mind not having a paycheck every month

I'm working for 9 years now at the same job... it pays ok and I like my coworkers, so I'm staying. It is nice having enough money to buy me nice things but to be honest I'd rather have more free time.

Money is not the most important thing for me...nice to have, nothing more.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. I hate money. It's merely a tool for me. If I had some say in it everything would be free and no one would need it.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, of course. Even though I have all of my money assigned to something every month, when I get those ~2 paychecks, love it. Even though I know... 50% is going to X bill, 10% is going to Y bill, etc., I still like getting paid.

Love it when checks come in for freelance. Love it when I get bonuses.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
I don't think so? But I have been focused on climbing the financial ladder since starting my career 10 years ago, when I was making around $29/30 thousand per year.

I'm reaching a point where I'm mostly comfortable, but could stand to make a little more. I make between 60-65 grand Canadian per year right now. With the way I spend and save, 75-80 would be perfect, but that's probably not happening for a few years. I'm 37. If I can hit those figures by the time I'm 45, I'll be satisfied, inflation taken into account and everything. Gotta start this year by actually finishing up a book and website project I've been lazily working on for 3 years already. :-/

I know people will say "Then you'll just want 90-100 thousand, and on and on," but I don't think so. I know myself pretty well and what I need to be comfortable and happy. An extra 10 grand would allow me to put money away for my kids and do some renovations around the house that are going to have to be done in the next few years, and I could pay off my mortgage that much quicker.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I'm addicted to paying rent, buying groceries, and taking a vacation here and there.

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My spouse and I have done well enough that money isn't really a day-to-day consideration which is itself a monumental luxury that I recall living without. I've recently stumbled onto the FIRE philosophy and that is my primary financial interest now.

Dinjooh

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, not really. I check my account three or four times a year, always has a lot more than last I checked.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Direct deposit and not living paycheck to paycheck (so I don't check that often nor remember which days I even get paid) kind of neuter any direct hit I'd feel from getting paid.
Yeah, same here. I get paid the same amount every pay period, but I never pay attention to when that is. Work hands out a pay calendar for those that really want to know, but I don't see the use for it.