• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Some of the most ridiculously stupid people I've ever met have degrees or other really high educational qualifications. And I've learned great things from people that have dropped out of school.

Im going to vote no for me. Fuck it.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
People tell me I'm smart, but I don't compare to many brilliant people I know. I don't think it's really a judgement I could make about myself.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
My friends a while back tried to argue that the average high school atheist today is smarter than someone like Newton

They want to know Why do scientists and historians still praise Isaac Newton as an important part of the history of science?

they tried to tell me that he believed bunch of weird stuff, alchemy... believed the world was going to end in 2060, biblical chronology etc. etc.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friends a while back tried to argue that the average high school atheist today is smarter than someone like Newton

They want to know Why do scientists and historians still praise Isaac Newton as an important part of the history of science?

they tried to tell me that he believed bunch of weird stuff, alchemy... believed the world was going to end in 2060, biblical chronology etc. etc.
It's true that the average HS student has more knowledge about the world than Newton did. But knowledge doesn't equal intelligence. They're totally separate things.

Ryutaryi

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in school at 30 and feel dumb as hell, so absolutely not. Anyone doing senior work for chemistry and isn't ready to run away from stress every day is a goddamn wizard.

Zolbrod

Oct 27, 2017
Osaka, Japan
If there's one thing I've learned from going to college, it's that there's a lot of different kinds of intelligence, and that doing well at school doesn't mean you're smart in other ways.

I got good grades in school and I get high scores on IQ tests, but I'm astoundingly stupid when it comes to fucking common sense in some cases.
"Intelligence" doesn't mean anything.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If there's one thing I've learned from going to college, it's that there's a lot of different kinds of intelligence, and that doing well at school doesn't mean you're smart in other ways.

I got good grades in school and I get high scores on IQ tests, but I'm astoundingly stupid when it comes to fucking common sense in some cases.
As a psychologist: bingo.

Ashlette

Oct 28, 2017

I agree.

Nobody should judge others based on how they look or speak. The only way to gauge someone is to befriend them for a while.

Then again TV shows and movies don't care and take the "They are what they appear!" route instead, especially with one-off characters. Fast talkers with glasses are smart, slow and deep speakers are dumb, attractive people are always good-hearted folk, that kind of nonsense.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It depends? I'm probably smarter than the average in some areas (at least I hope) while not in others. I don't think it's possible to answer this question that easily.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am conscious of Dunning Kruger, but standardized tests seem to indicate I am?

OR IT'S A HUGE CONSPIRACY AND EVERYONE IS SMARTER THAN ME AHHHH

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm a bit above average. I counterbalance this by having zero self-confidence, zero self-esteem, and crippling anxiety. Yay me!

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm smart enough to know that I'm not smart

Y'know, I think I'm going to change my answer to this. I know that there's folks out there dumber than I, but I also know that I'm never going to medically save lives, facilitate interesting chemical reactions, or solve a mathematical mystery.

So I'm intelligent enough to know I'm an NPC.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
It depends what you consider smart I guess.

I'm probably smarter than you at some topics and not at others.

I don't think there is one overall measure for intelligence that you can use to find an average, realistically. Outside of IQ which isn't really that either.

ty_hot

Banned
Dec 14, 2017
The average person is quite dumb. The average person doesn't have family stability and the opportunities I had growing up.

Im sure I am above average*, but there is a big * in there.

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
john-von-neumann-2.jpg

this picture represents the highest combined IQ to ever be recorded on photography

and I'm higher than that

Believe

ThousandEyes

Banned
Sep 3, 2019
makes you wonder why us millennials don't have any geniuses on the level of Newton or Einstein

like why are we so bad at science compared to past generations, why don't we have anything as groundbreaking as the Principia or General Relativity