• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do You Consider Yourself Above Average Intelligence?

• Yes

Votes: 840 64.1%
  • No

Votes: 470 35.9%

• Total voters

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Something like 90% of people consider themselves smarter than average. Statistically we know this can't be true, but here we are.

So what say you ERA?

For me personally it depends on the day. Sometimes I do some flat out dumb shit and some days I'm pretty wit
Era is the land of big dicks and big brains, so I'm expecting 100 percent.
Based on the conversations I have with my coworkers. Absolutely yes.

lacer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol hell no i lost my wallet in my own fucking room twice this month. it's kind of a miracle that my brain still has the capacity to maintain semi-voluntary functions like breathing or blinking tbh

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I see things that make me think I am, and other times I make me see things that make me think I'm definitely not.
If "average" is a 50 on the 1 - 100 scale, I'd place myself around 52. Above dead center, but not that far above it.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
You know when you have to actively try to play bad in a fighting game to let the opponent have a chance but you still end up crushing them? That's how all my discussions go.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
There is a big difference between above average and thinking you are some sort of genius. 40% of Americans approve of Trump, it's not really a high bar to clear "average".

Oct 28, 2017
I think my parents are of above average intelligence and considering I am autistic with seemingly a beneficial intelligence mutation, I am God! No but really it doesn't really matter what I think or for me to decide, lol.

Flygon

Oct 28, 2017
Nah, I don't have the necessary skills and intelligence to strive in society.

Pretty sure that means by, most practical measures, I aint too smart.

MathLx

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm above average in some areas and below average in others. So the answer is yes, but it depends. Guess I'll just answer yes :)

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Your vote will be publicly visible.

source.gif

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If we're talking about IQ, then yes. I had an IQ test in grade school that placed me in my school's gifted and talented enrichment program. I'm not entirely sure what my IQ is, but the enrichment class was about 20 students out of our full class of around 200 plus students. So I was at least in the top 10% of the kids in my grade at school. I graduated in the top 10% of my class at college as well.

I don't think I'm anywhere close to being a genius or someone who can impress others with their intellect, but I pick up on concepts quickly and it's quite useful. I never did apply myself when it came to math and science, instead I spent my time focused in the humanities. I'm quick with language, but not with numbers.

May 30, 2018
The thing is, above average here in this discussion means nothing when you consider average intelligence is essentially a dunce

If you place some restrictions, like, "in your field/degree, are you above your peers who had the same access to resources as you, in intelligence?" Then I'd answer a resounding no.

Being smarter than a poor/old uneducated guy isn't an accomplishment, lol

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
I'm good with words and intuitive. Also very perceptive and analytical. I'm smart that way.

However, I am dumb as a brick when it comes to numbers, any form of organization, or common sense.

So the answer is, yes. But also, no.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Kinda impossible to judge it for myself and I don't know how intelligence is being defined here. If we're going by IQ tests those have a lot of problems.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
My grades in college say I'm pretty smart but I feel dumb as shit half the time lmao.

MattHeus

Mar 2, 2019
Intelligence fits a normal distribution, so most people are around the average and there are very few really smart/really dumb people.

So my answer is: "probably around the average".

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
No I'm dumber, so I guess that places me in the top 10th percentile of intelligence

Nov 2, 2017
I'm funnier (this just means quicker witted) than most of my friends, I'm more creative (I come up with ideas faster), I'm excellent at trivia but I'm an abysmal writer usually unable to put my thoughts coherently into words. Yet year after year this is all slowing down. I was never smarter than anyone, just faster and I'm losing that at an alarming rate.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The thing is, above average here in this discussion means nothing when you consider average intelligence is essentially a dunce

If you place some restrictions, like, "in your field/degree, are you above your peers who had the same access to resources as you, in intelligence?" Then I'd answer a resounding no.

Being smarter than a poor/old uneducated guy isn't an accomplishment, lol
Right. Being smart is being in the upper 50th percentile in terms of intelligence. Half the people in the world are "smart". It's really not a particularly rare trait to just be better than average.

The ERA community is somewhat self selecting in the sense that many here are college students/graduates, have white collar jobs, etc. It wouldn't surprise me if the the majority of people who use this board are in the top 50% in terms of intelligence tbh. But having an IQ a few points over 100 isn't all that rare or impressive.

ken_matthews

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm above average in some areas and below average in others. So the answer is yes, but it depends. Guess I'll just answer yes :)

That is how I see it too. I do a few things really well, better than most people, and a few things rather poorly, but I am average at everything else. So on average, I'm average. However, I lucked out. The few things that I do really well seem to be the most important aspects for excelling at my profession. This is all that matters to me; that I am good at what I do.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Who cares? I know plenty of "smart" people that don't do shit with their lives and I know plenty of people that despite being successful/ put out great work are considered dumb. It's irrelevant.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am really, really good at math and specially at connecting mathematical models to physical systems. I am good enough at this to get many papers published and cited in peer reviewed journals.

I am absolutely god awful at writing stuff though. I am terrible at identifying subtleties in colors or decoration or music. I cannot tell perfumes apart. I am terrible at forming relationships with people I don't immediately connect to. I have zero fine motor skills and cant paint or draw or do anything like that. I am super clumsy and break and spill things all the time.

I think the concept of "intelligence " is dumb as shit. I am extremely good at a few highly technical things and terrible at things most people have no trouble doing.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I'm on ERA so i can't possibly be above average....

i mean, it's like they says: birds of the same kind flocks together............

;-P

Osa15

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
I m part of the 10% in America that has a Master Degree. So, I am certified smarter than most Americans. I tape my certification on my chest everywhere I go and point and laugh at the other 90%.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Even with era's issues, i suspect the poll is correct - i think it is a board with above average intelligence by general standards. The real question is: is your intelligence above that of the average era member? ;)
Who cares? I know plenty of "smart" people that don't do shit with their lives and I know plenty of people that despite being successful/ put out great work are considered dumb. It's irrelevant.

It's really not irrelevant. A lot of the worlds current political issues are born of failures of public education and access to education, to create populations of people that are easy to manipulate and exploit to gain political advantages. If you accept intelligence is trainable - which it largely is - then it becomes very much relevant... for one, it's not a dick measuring contest the way some frame it as, it's an access issue like anything but more importantly it becomes arguably the most important aspect to society.

Keuja

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think that I am average. But I also think that I'm making the most of my capabilities thanks to effort and initially, good parenting.

Edit: a lot of white colar people overestimate their intelligence because they "made it" but don't realize that it is mainly due to good fortune that they were born in the right family with access to resources, proper education, etc

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
hehe I think a lot of people underestimate themselves. I am a software developer, a few weeks back I was demoing a dashboard I built with angular + node (just showing the team the code and how it worked). All the managers were blown away, said it was crazy and how impressive i was blah blah blah.

I think given time and practice you can learn and get good at anything you put your mind to.

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
Despite understanding/speaking 3 languages and having a BS in comp sci, I consider myself average so I voted no. I'm always curious in how one can measure intelligence...

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely.

But I'm not some unique bastion of intellect because, like many others before me, I was probably only an above average undergrad student and an average graduate student. As you progress in life, you find yourself being funneled more and more into groups of people that are just as capable if not more so than you. College was very humbling just because you become immediately aware of how many very intelligent people are out there.

My salary is kinda the same way. I make more than the US household average but I look around at my peers and wonder why I'm so broke.

Doom_Bringer

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Despite understanding/speaking 3 languages and having a BS in comp sci, I consider myself average so I voted no. I'm always curious in how one can measure intelligence...
I think it's a combination of things. Emotional intelligence, financial intelligence/literacy and then general IQ intelligence (which helps you excel in education/career etc)

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I am kind of a fraud because I am just really really good at test-taking tbh. lol

CarpeDeezNutz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think I am a really smart dumb person.

What metrics do we even judge this shit by?

My dad has an 8th grade education but can take apart and fix anything with a motor.

My old man thinks I'm smart because I fix my parent's electronics but he hands me some engine part and I'm lost, he gives me the smh look when I can't figure it out.