• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HotAndTender

Dec 6, 2017
I've always been facinated that this is such a big thing now. The likes of Ninja becoming a worldwide known name in gaming, getting a sponsership from adidas which i think is crazy and it's all from playing games. I've just purchased a capture card since i like to play a fair bit and the weirdest things are always happening to me so why not make some videos.

Do you stream or watch streamers in your down time?

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
I hop in friends streams to socialize but not anyone I don't know IRL. The whole one sided friendship thing around the cult of personality with streamers has already shown some nasty repurcussions and I try to not engage with that.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I used to watch streams occasionally, but don't really do it anymore. When I did, it was only a select few streamers.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. Don't really like the "interaction" that streams bring, it actively annoys me when i'm seeing gameplay and the streamer stops every two minutes to thank a subscriber or to read some comment. I'd rather watch videos on YT but sadly they're dying out in favour of streaming.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I do enjoy watching some streams here and there. I've streamed before but incredibly infrequently.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really stream, but I do watch a few streamers. Usually those who mainly play fighting games.

Maximillian Dood, Sajam, Mike Ross, James Chen, etc

Sometimes Easy Allies if they're playing a game I'm interested in.

Nov 13, 2017
I primarily make guides and walkthroughs for my YouTube channel, but I do stream 2 nights per week to interact with my community. That said, I have almost 4,500 YouTube subscribers and under 500 Twitch followers, with an average stream viewer count at around 10, so it's kinda rough. Despite that,, I still enjoy doing it.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't stream myself, but I do enjoy watching Souls speedrunners quite a bit. Love the series, love speedruns, love shitposting, and Souls speedruns on Twitch is all of that at once.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
Every so often they make decent background noise but I don't actively watch them most of the time.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's because I'm old but I don't care about streaming at all. When I want to game I just play games myself. The weird cult around streamers and the put-on personalities, the attention-seeking and stuff, it doesn't do anything for me. Closest I'll get is watching guides and strat videos on YouTube, if that counts.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Used to watch FAR more twitch streams then I do currently, will still pop on Skadoodle or Shroud if I've nothing else to do.

Cannot find the time to stream more than a few hours a week with how hectic work is, not that anyone's watching. It's more to let my friends clip stupid stuff that happens during Apex matches, which is always fun

angelgrievous

Middle fingers up
Nov 8, 2017
Ohio
I want to stream but I don't want to entertain so I don't stream.

I'll watch streams on occasion. Don't really have anyone I watch specifically, just try to find the least obnoxious person playing a game I want to watch.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
I don't have much time to watch streams but I do watch this guy, Paymoneywubby. It's just a few hours 3 times a week, so it's not a bit commitment and it's mostly him rambling and having a fun, instead of the common game playthrough stream most people do. It's basically a comedy show at this point and that's why I like it.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Yeah, I watch streams almost every day (mostly Tekken 7 and Dead By Daylight), and I stream myself from time to time too. Never have had more than 2 or 3 concurrent viewers and I'm perfectly fine with it.

And the streams I watch: no webcam, and if possible no fancy overlay or stuff like that. 100% of the screen must be dedicated to the game.

Mantrox

Oct 27, 2017
I watch some streams ocasionally, but mostly i end up watching the archived streams in the background.
Caleb running FF7 for example.
I do watch a lot of streams when there are big fighting game tournaments. EVO time, it's all day.

I also stream shmups on YT and Twitch but mostly to archive my progress.

Edify

Oct 28, 2017
I was massively into twitch between 2013-2016 and watched a bunch of souls and various N64 speedrunners. The magic started to fade for me when the majority of the people I was subbed to or following were doing it full time and relying on a schtick or memes to keep the content engaging.

The only streamers I regularly watch now are Lobos Jr who I just find genuinely likeable and Slowbeef who doesn't stream for a living, so it's kind of a special event for me when he is streaming.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really stream, but I do watch a few streamers. Usually those who mainly play fighting games.

Maximillian Dood, Sajam, Mike Ross, James Chen, etc

Sometimes Easy Allies if they're playing a game I'm interested in.

Yeah I'm the same, I typically only watch FGC streams, whether they're tournament streams or casual online matches. And for me it's usually on in the background and not my primary entertainment.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
yeah, i actively watch RKG, Many a True Nerd and David Petersen (Mouse Guard's creator. he streams inking and drawing), sometimes Seagull. i don't have money to donate/subscribe, tho and don't see myself streaming ever.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
While I watch a fair amount of video game content, it's rarely live, and rarely from someone who's primarily "a streamer" first and foremost. I'm definitely not someone deep into the streamer culture on YouTube or Twitch or Mixer.

I think it's something far more prevalent among younger people who grew up with this stuff. The video game media I had when I was younger (high school/college) was in gaming magazines like EGM, or on TechTV/G4. Internet was slower back then, and streaming video wasn't really a thing. You might download a trailer or E3 clip off a website, but you certainly weren't watching one person play a game for hours at a stretch.

The content I consume today is usually from game outlets (ex. Giant Bomb, Polygon), and a few other YouTubers, but again, usually I'm watching a pre-recorded video or archive, not a livestream.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
I follow my fair share of streamers but the main two that take up my viewing are Northernlion and LoadingReadyRun.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Not really. I occasionally tune into very specific streams but I have zero interest in streamer culture, eSports, or the kinds of games that are popular on sites like Twitch. Fortnite is the most boring shit imaginable to me. I'd rather watch two dogs paint a fence with their tails than ten minutes of Fortnite.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
I don't. I have a couple of friends that stream (one of them plays Rainbow 6 Siege competitively and the other one just streams for fun) but I don't watch them stream, nor do I watch anyone else stream. I just don't find it all that entertaining.

Arthoneceron

Oct 27, 2017
Minas Gerais, Brazil
Used to. These days, I'm only watching MTG and some SSB streams when a character releases and guys like Nairo and Armada gives their impressions.

Probably will take a look on TLoU2 when it releases.

bluehat9

Oct 25, 2017
I watch the guys that do MGS marathons. Used to watch some people play hearthstone, but not anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
No. I don't stream myself because I just don't really care to, but outside of randomly watching a streamer here and there I don't get the appeal. I don't equate games to sports so watching someone else play an interactive piece of entertainment is just not my thing but to those that do enjoy it, you do you my friends!

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of FGC and GDQ streams, the only other streamer I occasionally "watch" aka have on a second screen while doing something else is HCJustin. Especially more recently for Project Winter.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I used to stream Smash and Sonic 2 speed runs on Saturday mornings, and would usually get around 10 viewers at a time, but I kind of just lost motivation to stay with it. I don't watch many steam live, though I like binging on vinesauce on YouTube for long JRPGs

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I watch streaming daily though most of the time it's not my only focus or anything. Mostly smaller streamers though.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
I watch Street Fighter 5 streams regularly, especially Smug and Problem X. They are comedians

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
No, I don't enjoy watching random people play video games, except they are exceptionally hilarious but I generally speaking I like to play them by myself. And with that being that said I like to enjoy games at my pace and how I see fit what others might find boring so I wouldn't bother streaming, too. If it's not something super rare or retro and little content from up on YouTube I think why would anyone watch the 2349345th Let's Play of The Witcher 3.

Nah, just me and my games.

@TheFriendlyBro

IGN - Video Producer and Editor
Verified
Aug 1, 2019
Before I joined IGN, I use to stream near enough every week. These days, I stream twice a week.

When it comes to watching streams, I've got a couple I watch but that's about it. Not a big fan of the super happy, all the time smiles kind of streamers.

Much more into chill streams.

BackwardCap

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I stream stuff, but not often enough to actually have anyone watching. Its mostly just a self record of my own experience with each game to look back on.

PixelsByNight

Apr 22, 2019
USA
I actively stream on Twitch and create videos on YouTube. I enjoy being productive with a crazy gaming hobby. Helps with the backlog, but not really! Plus, I enjoy chatting with others :)

And I watch some when I have the time.

Kholdy

Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
While I watch a fair amount of video game content, it's rarely live, and rarely from someone who's primarily "a streamer" first and foremost. I'm definitely not someone deep into the streamer culture on YouTube or Twitch or Mixer.

I think it's something far more prevalent among younger people who grew up with this stuff. The video game media I had when I was younger (high school/college) was in gaming magazines like EGM, or on TechTV/G4. Internet was slower back then, and streaming video wasn't really a thing. You might download a trailer or E3 clip off a website, but you certainly weren't watching one person play a game for hours at a stretch.

I'm on the same boat.
However, PS4 made really easy to stream and record videos, and I do that but only for friends and not frequently.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Nah it gets annoying when they stop what they're doing every 10 seconds to thank every single person who subbed or whatever.
I like a goos speedrun here and there, because some of the exploits and strategie are wild.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't call myself a streamer, but I have participated on several streams from gameshow fandom which touch on video games on occasion (Jackbox games, vintage TV gameshow tie-in games)

Wotkar

Oct 27, 2017
been a viewer on twitch more or less every day since 2011. mostly keep streams on in the background while I do my own thing or watch tournaments

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I don't watch streamers besides easy allies when they upload their stuff to YouTube, but I did try streaming myself a year ago or so. I was consistent, did the twitch affiliate thing and was working towards partner but I just decided one day it wasn't as enjoyable as just playing videogames without an audience. I love playing video games, they're my biggest hobby. There's a lot of aspects to streaming that take away from what I love about them.

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't streamed in years, and always had a very low viewer count and minimal interaction

as for watching, yes I do very often, even if it's just running on the background and I check now and then, mostly I like streamers I followed back when Dayz mod was new and some of the RP community (going back to reign of kings), mostly I end up watching GTA V RP or whatever the new game is that they are playing

I started watching gaming streams on justin.tv so not a new thing for me, but more often after Dayz mod.