• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just curious. Are any of you super into EDM music? I'm Asian American so raving is a huge subculture within my friend group. I really don't get it, since I'm such as a shut in and I hate being outside a lot lol

I'm really fascinated by how many people are into this sort of thing, young and old (I figure mostly young though)

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I love raving, didn't realize that it had such interesting human dimensions.

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Used to do a ton of E and dance to house music in the late 90s/Early 2000s. Was never my preferred type of music, but that's what was playing at the bars I went to with my friends. Have been to multiple outdoor parties and indoor raves in my lifetime as well. So yeah, was definitely a raver at one point.

still love to dance, but I'm definitely not a raver anymore

May 10, 2019
When I'm not at the airport...

giphy.gif

kortvarsel

Avenger
Dec 11, 2017
Love going to open airs in the summer, watching the sun go down and up and just dancing all night. Used to do that kind of stuff all year, but now I only have it in me during the summer.

Oct 31, 2017
I have been known to rave. But it requires for me at least a load of drugs and therefore a fair amount of spare time afterwards to recover. So not so much these days.

Oct 27, 2017
I've been to a few raves, electronic concerts, dance clubs, EDM festivals, etc. It's really fun if you go with a big group of friends. The psychedelic culture is an obvious thing, but I simply/genuinely enjoy the music ... minimal techno, dark synth wave, witch house, etc, etc. It's a good time from a production standpoint. I can also say that most people at day-time festivals are really down to earth and friendly, but night-clubs tend to bring a much more hardcore crowd, lots of drunks, which isn't so nice to be around lol. You just have to find the right scene ... I like StereoLive in Houston, lots of face-masks and light gloves floating around, big DJ's like Borgore and Tiesto show up there frequently.

Venatio

Oct 25, 2017
My raving days ended around 2003. The late nineties were a really glorious time for raves. Now, I don't even listen to EDM music anymore...I just find it repetitive and annoying.

Baked Pigeon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Phoenix
I was pretty big into the scene from like 2005 - 2011 but kinda ended up growing out of it. I had a lot of fun and made a lot of bad choices, for better or worse.

Golden

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 9, 2018
I was in the 90s and early 00s.

Proper underground uk raving though, raves in fields, warehouses etc

An amusing highlight was when a local illegal rave in a chalkpit was featured in the guardians cultural review magazine.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, I love the music. Sick of seeing so much of the current generation coming for the drugs and party scene. I much prefer the smaller artist tours and shows at clubs in LA.

neon/drifter

Shit Shoe Wasp Smasher
Apr 3, 2018
i was but those days are behind me. I will still thump some stuff in my car stereo during my work commute.

Animus Vox

Oct 30, 2017
NYC
I loved raves back in the day, minus any of the drugs. Eventually it got too annoying where "raving" just meant you were a zombie high on MDMA.

Relevant:

Dec 2, 2017
I was. I still go out from time to time but the late 90s to late 00s were wild.

It's crazy how mainstream techno was in the late 90s - at least in Europe. I was always more a club and after hour kid but even I got my ass up for the Loveparade when it was still in Berlin.

cabelhigh

Nov 2, 2017
So is the drug of choice still E (I can't call it Molly, it's just E to me)?

Still mainly E but most mainstream festivals have a lot of alcohol, acid, and now Ketamine use too.

Used to rave a lot for the past few years but have fallen off a lot in the past year. Just not a lot of good house/techno or trance/hardstylr where I am. So much unlistenable bass.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Yeah. Semi-retired now. Spent my entire 20s and early 30s partying hard, taking a lot of drugs (party drugs like mdma pills, cocaine, ketamine) and going to raves (though we generally just called them parties) and festivals.

I used to particularly like after parties in the morning that would start at like 6am, because then all the casual partygoers would be gone and you'd just be left with the hardcore crowd who really knew how to party.
I even worked as a door picker for a short time working at a club from 5am til 1pm.
Back then London had so many amazing clubs and spaces, legal and illegal, and the parties went on for days. Great times.

I did, and still do, love house and techno. Never once have I referred to it as EDM. I don't like what Americans call EDM at all.

CoolOff

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
That video in the OP is... strange. I don't know if it's a very US perspective, but drawing the line from 80s and 90s rave culture to todays massive commercial EDM festivals seems a bit reaching. The PLUR thing seems silly as hell to me having had experience partying in inclusive underground spaces over the past 5-10 years, both commercial and non-commercial. If anything it strikes me more as related to the hippie movement than to the underground dance movement?

Edit: Shit, a quick Wikipedia on it clarifies that despite going to a lot of dance events, I'm definitely not part of "rave culture". Also, the video is definitely heavily US centric in it's perspective.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Yes. We used to go to a rave every weekend for several years. Never used drugs, never will. The music is what guides me.

Have only been to a few since moving to Sweden. Sweden is a bit stupid when it comes to parties, as these things are almost illegal.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I'm just curious. Are any of you super into EDM music? I'm Asian American so raving is a huge subculture within my friend group. I really don't get it, since I'm such as a shut in and I hate being outside a lot lol

1) Race has nothing to do with rave culture, so you being Asian American shouldn't matter if you're interested.

2) Been into the music since the 90s. Never got into the drugs, but I'm not one to judge. Someone on e at a rave is usually better behaved than someone drunk or on weed.

3) Don't go out as much as I used to. If you're dancing across a multi day festival you have to be in pretty good shape.

Oct 25, 2017
I used to go to the equivalent of raves here in Melbourne, which at the time were wrapping up their long and gradual transition into events rather unfortunately known colloquially as "bush doofs". The music shifted largely to psytrance and minimal techno as part of that process, and I lost interest accordingly. The last thing comparable to a proper rave I attended was Burning Man a few years back. I still go to clubs and dance festivals occasionally, but it's always more for particular artists than it is for the scene or community.

Blackie

Oct 25, 2017
Wherever
I used to go, some of the best nights of my life. Especially massives/big stadium events. You would get thousands of people together, awesome music, uniquely intoxicated, and meet some of the most open minded, friendly, unique, random people. Occasionally undercover cops would bust someone in front of you for dealing/buying stupidly, or judgemental bouncers, but otherwise it was generally an incredible blast every time.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
I did, and still do, love house and techno. Never once have I referred to it as EDM. I don't like what Americans call EDM at all.

Funny. EDM used to mean a variety of electronic music genres. An EDM rave would start with some techno and as the night went, it would move into trance, and then psy or hardstyle to top it off. Giving people a nice journey to remember.

Now EDM usually refers to big room trash for mainstream festivals.

impingu1984

Oct 31, 2017
UK
Spent basically all my 20s going to God knows how many raves...

My musically journey started weirdly enough with the wipeout 1 soundtrack on PS1 on launch... That lead me to the death throws of happy hardcore, prodigy and then later in the back end of the nineties euphoric trance. This continued into the 00s with the addition of Scouse / bounce house (bit like russian hard bass but not really... The donk is the common thing) and UK hardcore and gabba (or European hardcore)... Moving into the 10s I discovered drum and bass which has lead to hardstyle, frenchcore and a renewed interested in gabba.

Also been interested in house music in the early 00s as well.

Still going to events occasionally... Went to a classic trance night very recently and stayed to close at 6am.

So yeah I rave .. and probably always will...

Also the term EDM can die in a fire.. it's like saying to rock, indie Brit pop etc etc is just guitar music... Respect the genres and don't throw them under one universal umbrella term.

Last edited:

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Funny. EDM used to mean a variety of electronic music genres. An EDM rave would start with some techno and as the night went, it would move into trance, and then psy or hardstyle to top it off. Giving people a nice journey to remember.

Now EDM usually refers to big room trash for mainstream festivals.

In the US? I don't think I even heard the term until... the late 2000s maybe? And it was immediately associated with mainstream electro type stuff. People here would sometimes use the umbrella term 'dance music' for house, techno, trance etc but never the abbreviation EDM.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
A rave sounds like the club on steroids.
And the club is just fucking awful. Whats the point when it's too loud to hear anyone?
Like holy shit, sounds like pure hell to someone on the Autism spectrum.