• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
www.bbc.com

Are you a 'cultural fit' for your job? Machines can now tell

Companies want to know whether candidates will suit their way of working. Now they are increasingly asking algorithms to take on this task.

"The computer says you'll probably work well with the humans at this firm."

If you think that sounds like a joke, think again. Large businesses have been trying to partially automate the hiring process for years, with CV-scanning systems and computerised testing that can sometimes filter out candidates with minimal human oversight.

But now organisations are increasingly asking algorithms to assess whether a person will be a good "cultural fit" at the firm. That doesn't – necessarily – mean people will get on socially with their colleagues, it means their way of working will suit the organisation at large.

At London-based start-up ThriveMap, a consultancy offering pre-hire assessments of prospective candidates, the answer is to use interactive questionnaires that "simulate" a day in the life of a new employee.

ThriveMap's clients are generally large firms, where job opportunities can attract hundreds or thousands of applications. "You can't offer a trial shift to every candidate that applies," says chief executive and co-founder Christopher Platts.

However, it is possible to ask candidates a series of questions digitally, via video clips or written text. For instance, the successful applicant might have to get up early to start a shift on time or deal with a higher workload when the weather is bad. How do they feel about that and how would they go about it? The survey might also ask detailed questions about how the candidate would attempt to solve a problem should something unexpected happen.

If organisations begin emphasising the importance of "cultural fit", there is indeed a danger that job candidates and existing employees will end up trying to conform at all costs, says Sameer Srivastava at the University of California, Berkeley's Haas School of Business.

He and colleagues have recently studied how to detect signs of cultural affinity in the text that employees write to one another in email messages and Slack chats. The researchers have also analysed how employees manage their digital calendars and respond to event invitations.

By using a text analysis method called Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count (LIWC), Srivastava and his colleagues say they are able to tell how well-fitted an employee is based on how they use personal pronouns in email messages, for instance. Do they signal team awareness by referring to work that "we" are doing – or do they rely on "I" and "me" a lot?

Using data to find candidates who will be a good cultural fit has its advantages but it isn't without pitfalls, says Tom Calvard at the University of Edinburgh Business School.

If companies set criteria that are too rigid, they could end up hiring the same kind of person again and again, turning the working environment into a monoculture.

It [also] raises the possibility that one's cultural alignment and adaptability could be assessed not just at the point of applying for a job – but also continually, via software installed on company computers and smartphones. While that could help sharpen corporations' competitiveness, employees might also disagree with the algorithmic judgements being made about them, says Calvard.

"In the next 10 years, we may start to see employment tribunals that revolve more around tracking and algorithms – and how that data's been used," he warns.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I am going to use my future telling powers and say this will fuck over minorities and women

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's a big concern here of algorithmic discrimination. How do you stop a black box algorithm from descriminating based on gender, class, age, or sexual orientation? Even if such discrimintion is inadvertant, it's a dangerous way of screening applicants.

Edit:

I am going to use my future telling powers and say this will fuck over minorities and women

Yep. You anticipated what I was going to say :)

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Remember when you'd read about new technology like jetpacks or magnet boots and be like "Wow! Neato!"

And now it's all like "computers can scan your face to see if you're a corporate/government dissenter"

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
This seems like a hotbed for discrimination, specifically against minorities, women and neuroatypicals, but as a counter example, Google used to not look at cultural fit when hiring at all, but after the James Damore scandal they decided to implement a cultural fit system as well because they didn't want shitheads either

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"Cultureal Fit" Meaning you will be a slave to the job. Why does work have to have a culture? Why can't folks go to work be respected, paid a living wag, go home, and enjoy their lives.

If you love your job cool, but I never been a fan of employers trying to make it part of your identity

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
This seems like a hotbed for discrimination, specifically against minorities, women and neuroatypicals, but as a counter example, Google used to not look at cultural fit when hiring at all, but after the James Damore scandal they decided to implement a cultural fit system as well because they didn't want shitheads either
i mean sure but it seems glancing over that article that the 'culture' they care about is just 'will you say thank you as the company fucks you over?'

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
Yes, I agree that in most cases this will be used for bad. But you do want to have some baseline cultural expectations and not hire assholes. This doesn't seem like the correct solution though
i mean maybe at some point we stick to probation periods and actually working alongside each other rather than using algorithms but heck i have no idea how to run a huge business

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds more like a question of how well you can bullshit a multiple-choice test.

"There's excessive traffic on the way to work. Do you A) call in sick and take the day off, B) arrive late and irritable, or C) always plan ahead and make it in on-time with a smile on your face despite this setback?"

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds more like a question of how well you can bullshit a multiple-choice test.

"There's excessive traffic on the way to work. Do you A) call in sick and take the day off, B) arrive late and irritable, or C) always plan ahead and make it in on-time with a smile on your face despite this setback?"

If any corporate business conduct training I've taken is indicative, it would be more like:

You have a disagreement with your coworker. Do you:
A) fucking murder them
B) act like they don't exist and make fart noises every time they try to speak
C) set the office on fire
D) try to understand their point of view and sit down and figure out your differences and a way forward

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
Besides the obvious discrimination stuff, I'm really not a fan of combing through social media accounts to access cultural fit.

Again, this isn't just about finding people with the appropriate qualifications or skills – it's about the way they approach their work, too. Could that person be described as a "thought leader", or someone who is clearly interested in keeping up to date with new technologies? An automated system could work that out by assessing how influential an account is among its followers – or how regularly it mentions a diverse range of programming topics, for example.

OP
OP
MikeHattsu

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017

+ monitoring of your work emails to check for 'team awareness' after you've gotten the job.

He and colleagues have recently studied how to detect signs of cultural affinity in the text that employees write to one another in email messages and Slack chats. The researchers have also analysed how employees manage their digital calendars and respond to event invitations.

By using a text analysis method called Linguistic Inquiry and Word Count (LIWC), Srivastava and his colleagues say they are able to tell how well-fitted an employee is based on how they use personal pronouns in email messages, for instance. Do they signal team awareness by referring to work that "we" are doing – or do they rely on "I" and "me" a lot?

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
1pdfr8.jpg

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From my experience, the filter algorithms already don't work well. Same goes for the preselection HR is performing.

And having too much of the same will lead to a lack of certain skills.

Sikamikanico

Oct 25, 2017
Probably something like that detects traits and personalities. Company I work for utilises this technology with ours via integration in pretty cool ways.