• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 31, 2017
Well, the difference is that previous generations didn't carry around a small device in their pocket which allowed them to instantaneously argue with people around the world and nurse a constant feeling of anger and resentment. They had to meet face to face and shout at one another (which they often did). But conversation in person is much more nuanced. It's kinder, you joke, you find common ground and you very quickly realise that a difference on paper, when discussed, is really not so great.

You learn to compromise.

I'm an old fart now. I say this sincerely - I genuinely feel sorry for youngsters and the inferno of anger that they carry around in their pockets.

It was much simpler when you could just round up the undesirable labeled groups and do whatever you want to them face to face

Yeah fuck the previous generation rose tinted retcon bullshit. People were not nicer in undefined "previous generations".

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It's just easier this way for everyone. You don't argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn't eat candy for dinner. You don't punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don't argue when a women tells you she's only making 80 cents to your dollar. It's the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles."

He routinely attacked Hillary in a very misogynistic way.

And, a big part is in the company yoh keep. Doesn't the Donald have a Dilbert flair ? He did an AMA where on there where he denounced trump over other people thinking he's racist, before 'heroically' switching it over to Trump shortly before election due to concerns of Clinton's health and her tax plan.

He responds to this very quote in the link in the OP. For your convenience:

Ouch! It would be awful if I actually said that. And I didn't. But here's the weird part: Those are my exact words from a blog post!

How can my exact words be a fake quote if they are, well, my exact words???

Easy, as it turns out.

What my devious critics cleverly leave out of the quote is the context of the blog post and the punchline of the joke. The context was about debates on important gender-related topics, and the punchline was "It's just easer this way for everyone." In other words, men often avoid debating with women on gender topics because there is plenty of risk to the man's career and happiness but nothing to gain.

The structure of the joke is that the first two items in the list (babies and mentally handicapped people) are supposed to bias you to think you know what I will say about the third item (women), then I give you the surprise twist, thus exposing your own bias, which is the joke. My point in the blog post was that men typically take the path of least resistance, as do all humans, and arguing with women about gender-related issues is a high risk strategy men typically try to avoid because there is no upside. My critics then proved me right by labelling me a misogynist for bringing up the topic in a way they didn't appreciate. They went on to forever destroy my reputation while reducing my income by perhaps 30%. The reaction I got from women was exactly my point. I doubt I have ever been so right about anything in my life. Unfortunately.

In my book Win Bigly, I make the case that no one changes their mind because of facts or better arguments, or at least rarely so. But some arguments are safer than others. Men can generally debate other men without risk, but when men debate women on the topic of gender issues, the risk involves complete career destruction for the man. Women don't have that kind of risk.

I am not aware of anyone who disagrees with my point, once I clarify it. But I have apologized for accidentally offending people who didn't recognize my poorly-executed joke as a joke. I think that's fair.

Never said it was a great defense, and it's still dumb af.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
There is no way you can think Obama and Trump are both good Presidents without being full of shit. When one of the two is being a "good President" simply based on undoing the things the former has done, you're on some extremely strong Kool Aid to even pretend to have that opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
He responds to this very quote in the link in the OP. For your convenience:

Never said it was a great defense, and it's still dumb af.

Yeah, good one.

If it's a bad defense and dumb, why jump in to spread it?

Haven't we caught onto this "ironic shittiness" ploy yet?

I want to say the shitty things that endear me to the MRA and alt right, but don't hold me accountable for any of it, you just don't get my jokes!

Metallix87

User Requested Self-Ban
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Oh no, people that fly the Nazi flag, do Hitler salutes, protect people that do, spew antisemitic rethoric, share antisemitic propaganda based on Nazi Germany propaganda, call their websites after antisemitic Nazi newspapers, how mean to call them Nazis.

Indeed, such behavior is far less harmful than calling them what they are, the poor dears.
Yup, this is all of them, no question or nuance whatsoever. I'm also sure the salutes and such are all that qualified the actual Nazis as Nazis, too.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the difference is that previous generations didn't carry around a small device in their pocket which allowed them to instantaneously argue with people around the world and nurse a constant feeling of anger and resentment. They had to meet face to face and shout at one another (which they often did). But conversation in person is much more nuanced. It's kinder, you joke, you find common ground and you very quickly realise that a difference on paper, when discussed, is really not so great.

You learn to compromise.

I'm an old fart now. I say this sincerely - I genuinely feel sorry for youngsters and the inferno of anger that they carry around in their pockets.

lol such bullshit. young people get through their days just fine.

I mean, if you read the quotes you posted, it shows he's obtuse - not alt-right. The birther thing? He just *had* to try and explain how it's not racist.

Iran deal? He uses "many outside observers" to cover his tracks. So on.

it also show that he's more than willing to obscure the truth for his own gain. so why believe him when he says he's not alt right despite being loved within their circles? that adoration certainly isn't because of his comic strip.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I support <myriad of liberal positions>!

I voted for and support person who is completely against <myriad of liberal positions>.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, good one.

If it's a bad defense and dumb, why jump in to spread it?

Haven't we caught onto this "ironic shittiness" ploy yet?

Mostly because it's still his reasoning, and you brought up the quote. Since it was part of the OP, it made sense to put it out there.

There is no way you can think Obama and Trump are good Presidents without being full of shit. When one of the two is being a "good President" simply based on undoing the things the former has done, you're on some extremely strong Kool Aid to even pretend to have that opinion.

Oh, for sure. I feel like he does what's politically convenient, in general. Same with his switch from Hillary support to Trump support.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
The game of compromise has always left a lot of broken people. Namely minorities who don't feel like being thrown under the bus for compromise anymore.

So spare me the overlabeling stuff. The status quo is harmful to a lot of people.

Defending it is not good.

Oct 31, 2017
lol such bullshit. young people get through their days just fine.

it also show that he's more than willing to obscure the truth for his own gain. so why believe him when he says he's not alt right despite being loved within their circles? that adoration certainly isn't because of his comic strip.

You know previous generations were nicer, right?

To whom exactly? Those details don't matter!

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, of course. The sweeping generalizations made by progressives are outright embarrassing. If we believe in our cause we should carry ourselves with dignity instead of resorting to being mudslinging children. "I shouldn't have to" is an unbelievably irresponsible and whiny outlook to have in my opinion.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game of compromise has always left a lot of broken people. Namely minorities who don't feel like being thrown under the bus for compromise anymore.

So spare me the overlabeling stuff. The status quo is harmful to a lot of people.

Defending it is not good.

No one is asking for compromise or the status quo.

I wonder if there is a thread on 4chan: "Are we over labeling libtards?"

I feel we're at least a little better at self-reflection.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah fuck the previous generation rose tinted retcon bullshit. People were not nicer in undefined "previous generations".

Where did I claim they were nicer?

I'm saying that previous generations did not have the ability to be rude and confrontational to one another, without consequence. In short, the internet.

You wouldn't be rude to me if you met me in person. But you can, because this forum gives you the ability to create an image of me in your head and tell me off.

Oct 27, 2017
Mostly because it's still his reasoning, and you brought up the quote. Since it was part of the OP, it made sense to put it out there.

Oh, for sure. I feel like he does what's politically convenient, in general. Same with his switch from Hillary support to Trump support.

Yes, Scott Adams is alt right, and a darling of the alt right. His defense to discredit his own, MRA-endearing words by saying "jk" could be exhibit 'A'.

Fauxpaw

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly he didn't fact check the fact that the media claimed he is far right or alt-right (2 very different things)

The closest I could find was this article mentioning the alt right loves him, but that would be like saying that fox news is alt right and they are more like far right.

Alt right is a "cute" way to say neo nazis. far right is different.

It's almost like he has a persecution complex, and nothing any reasonable person has to say will get through because it'll go against the narrative that he isn't responsible for the shit he gets.

There is no way you can think Obama and Trump are both good Presidents without being full of shit. When one of the two is being a "good President" simply based on undoing the things the former has done, you're on some extremely strong Kool Aid to even pretend to have that opinion.

YEP!

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
There is no compromising with anyone no the right.
Have the past 10 years taught people nothing?
The right is toxic for everything. All their goals are the opposite of any sort of progress for anyone besides rich white assholes.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

I'm saying that previous generations did not have the ability to be rude and confrontational to one another, without consequence. In short, the internet.

You wouldn't be rude to me if you met me in person. But you can, because this forum gives you the ability to create an image of me in your head and tell me off.

being able to take the piss out of you here doesn't negate one's ability to get through the day interacting with people who hold differing views

Skelepuzzle

Apr 17, 2018
Yup, this is all of them, no question or nuance whatsoever. I'm also sure the salutes and such are all that qualified the actual Nazis as Nazis, too.

Are you saying that adults who intentionally emulate nazi behavior from about 80 years ago aren't deserving the label? Do they not earn it until they build chambers?

You could make the argument that some German citizens of that era were unwillingly participating in a horrific movement. But to intentionally adopt their behavior now? They're deliberately trying to participate. Why would you even defend that?

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I think the answer is really yes and no. I think we throw the term around too much, or more so are too quick to label people with conservative or far right views as Alt-Right (though i understand these are sensitive times and people can be quick to anger with trolls and people arguing in bad faith) or even just apply it to white supremacy when really its far more encompassing ( being also focused on anti-feminist, misogynist, transphobic, abelist, anti-intellectual, classist, authoritarian, etc. agendas), and i think calling people a Nazi a Nazi (or Neo-Nazi just as its harder to argue back against) is important, but also calling someone Alt-Right when they are in fact that, is also important, but also specifying their hatred they are expressing to attach it to that word to prevent them from normalizing it.

Also, fuck Scott Adams, but hes not alt-right, just a loud mouthed mostly far right idiot.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, Scott Adams is alt right, and a darling of the alt right. His defense to discredit his own, MRA-endearing words by saying "jk" could be exhibit 'A'.

My point is this - there's a difference between "ignorance" and "alt-right." IMO, Adams is the former.

There is no compromising with anyone no the right.
Have the past 10 years taught people nothing?
The right is toxic for everything. All their goals are the opposite of any sort of progress for anyone besides rich white assholes.

No one is talking compromise?

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Words have meaning, but people tend to latch onto whatever invented term comes up and stamp it indiscriminately as a synonym for "bad." Alt-right, fake news, SJW, milkshake duck.

The assumption that millions of people (that is, anyone who is conservative) can be boiled down to a single stereotype is... a problem. If you're a leftist, you need to understand what you're advocating and what you're fighting. Assuming they're all just alt-right Nazis because they're white supremacists because they're bad is laughable.
Another point is that it's easily exploited by right-wing sophistry too. It's very close to what someone calls the noncentral fallacy.

Suppose someone wants to build a statue honoring Martin Luther King Jr. for his nonviolent resistance to racism. An opponent of the statue objects: "But Martin Luther King was a criminal!"

Any historian can confirm this is correct. A criminal is technically someone who breaks the law, and King knowingly broke a law against peaceful anti-segregation protest - hence his famous Letter from Birmingham Jail.
But in this case calling Martin Luther King a criminal is the noncentral. The archetypal criminal is a mugger or bank robber. He is driven only by greed, preys on the innocent, and weakens the fabric of society. Since we don't like these things, calling someone a "criminal" naturally lowers our opinion of them.

The opponent is saying "Because you don't like criminals, and Martin Luther King is a criminal, you should stop liking Martin Luther King." But King doesn't share the important criminal features of being driven by greed, preying on the innocent, or weakening the fabric of society that made us dislike criminals in the first place. Therefore, even though he is a criminal, there is no reason to dislike King.

This all seems so nice and logical when it's presented in this format. Unfortunately, it's also one hundred percent contrary to instinct: the urge is to respond "Martin Luther King? A criminal? No he wasn't! You take that back!" This is why the noncentral is so successful. As soon as you do that you've fallen into their trap. Your argument is no longer about whether you should build a statue, it's about whether King was a criminal. Since he was, you have now lost the argument.

Oct 27, 2017
My point is this - there's a difference between "ignorance" and "alt-right." IMO, Adams is the former.

No one is talking compromise?

Nope, he's the latter.

He's a bigot who doesn't mind spreading the messages and hanging out with other bigots.

That might not meet your definition, but it does meet mine.

And yeah, there's a difference between alt right and ignorant, but there's also a HUGE OVERLAP.

Oct 31, 2017

People are rude in real life, often. It's the basis for much of the right's arguments, they want to continue being rude without consequences or challenge

No, previous generations didn't have the internet. To say that previous didn't have the ability to be rude to each other without consequences is honestly a disturbing level of idealizing the past.

Like, are you at all familiar with American history?

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Are we over labeling people who are simply white supremacists as racists?

Also Scott Adams is not ignorant, he writes essays about his shitty viewpoints.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, people know a duck when they quack and salute like one. Folks always want to have "conversations" but never want to talk about anything real.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, he's the latter.

He's a bigot who doesn't mind spreading the messages and hanging out with other bigots.

That might not meet your definition, but it does meet mine.

I mean, in the same post he explains that women can deal with the abortion question without men getting involved. So I'm not sure I'm with you there.

Are we over labeling people who are simply white supremacists as racists?

Did you just read the title?

Oh no, people that fly the Nazi flag, do Hitler salutes, protect people that do, spew antisemitic rethoric, share antisemitic propaganda based on Nazi Germany propaganda, call their websites after antisemitic Nazi newspapers, how mean to call them Nazis.

Indeed, such behavior is far less harmful than calling them what they are, the poor dears.

That's definitely not what he was saying. Nazis are Nazis. He's saying that people call any other person who supports Trump "Nazis." Which is hella broad.

OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, people know a duck when they quack and salute like one. Folks always want to have "conversations" but never want to talk about anything real.

Yeah, there are def real, saluting Nazis. I'm saying we're over-labeling people who are just ignorant/single-issue voters/etc.

Anyone talking about labels being used to "shut down conversation" is.

No? Just the erroneous labels. Yes, there are Nazis. Like Richard Spencer. That doesn't mean everyone who supports Trump is a Nazi or alt-right. And that's a useful distinction when talking to or about those people.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there are def real, saluting Nazis. I'm saying we're over-labeling people who are just ignorant/single-issue voters/etc.

No? Just the erroneous labels. Yes, there are Nazis. Like Richard Spencer. That doesn't mean everyone who supports Trump is a Nazi or alt-right. And that's a useful distinction when talking to or about those people.
For example?

Bandage

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet

Who cares, though? Trump supporters might not be Swastika, goose stepping Nazis, but they're ok with a president that supports Nazis. They're ok with the destruction of democracy.
They're not any better than Nazis.

Oct 31, 2017
Not every Nazi was throwing people into camps. Some were just people who didn't say anything when Nazi were throwing people into camps. I honestly cannot give the second person any credit for that; they're complicit.

If you support trump, you're complicit.

Fuck, if you're so concerned about overlabeling at a time when white nationalist are the biggest terror group, having marches and killing people regularly... you're complicit

Ein

Oct 25, 2017
Not every Nazi was throwing people into camps. Some were just people who didn't say anything when Nazi were throwing people into camps. I honestly cannot give the second person any credit for that; they're complicit.

Fuck, if you're so concerned about overlabeling at a time when white nationalist are the biggest terror group, having marches and killing people regularly... you're complicit
But... but, what if they just wanted lower taxes!?

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
the entire point of the alt-right is to fool people that it's not just the same old nazism and racism coming back

their entire strategy builds on deceptive tactics of arguing in bad faith, internet meme humour, ad hominems, and whitewashing of horrible ideologies

the difference between the alt-right and traditional racists and nazis is that the alt-right are much smarter and more deceptive in how they sell their message

one important gambit of theirs is to draw people in with fake moderates, "centrists" and "classical liberals", slowly moving the overton window ever right, exposing people to progressively worse people

sure, someone like colin moriarty or scott adams is not as bad as milo yiannopoulos, who is in turn slightly less bad than richard spencer. but they are all part of the all-encompassing alt-right ecosystem, and they all serve as an important part of the gradual red-pilling chain that step-by-step pulls people from, e.g., boogie2988 to scott adams to jordan peterson, to milo yiannopoulos to richard spencer

trying to make distinction of saying, "this guy is not as bad as that other guy and so we should not use the same label for both" is doing exactly what they want. by making a distinction between scott adams and richard spencer, we give the fake moderates the deniability and benefit of the doubt they need to pull in more people so they can be progressively red-pilled and pulled further right in the alt-right chain. distinguishing between the alt-light and the alt-right is therefore a fool's errand. they are all part of the same ecosystem and they are in symbiosis with each other, and therefore they are all alt-right

the mistake people make is that they say that "alt-right" is the same as "far right racist" or "nazi". but that is not quite true. the alt-right is a coalition of "moderates", libertarians, conservatives and far right racists that work together to push the debate and the overton window right-wards.

in short: the "alt-right" is really more about a collection of deceptive internet debating tactics, than it is about any specific ideology.

This right here.

I have a much shorter easier way of recognizing when someone is fucked up and not on the level, well, actually it's a little more difficult because the op convienently left out ANY of the things these poor poor people actually believe in to make them entertain being a trumpet, but whatever I guess their just asking questions. Anyways

It does not fucking matter if you're cool with universal health care or fucking whatever.

Whatever views you have, it doesn't fucking matter what they are, Maybe you want lower taxes. Doesn't fucking matter. Maybe you are against abortion. Doesn't fucking matter. Maybe you want to decrease wasteful government spending to try and reduce the national debt, you are an idiot voting Republican for that, but that doesn't matter.

The fact of the matter is, because of those worthless reasons, whatever the fuck they are, you are perfectly willing to sit next to this:

Nothing you fucking say matters now.

This not about fucking politics now. There is nothing you can fucking believe politically that means fucking anything next to this.

All this means is as long as you get what you want. You get abortion banned, you get fucking tax cuts, you get a fucking Ben and jerry's on your street corner, it doesn't fucking matter. You are fine with THIS on your 'side' dressed up as your president, chanting marching and murdering, as long as you get what you want.

You are human filth and deserve every fucking label. You don't have to overtly be a bigot like the red neck on tv to be a fucking bigot, it' not the words you use, it' who you are, coming out and just saying it just makes it obvious and easy.

There is no democratic party anymore, there is just everybody the fuck else who isn't down with this nazi shit or making excuses for it or handwaving it away to get what they want, because they aren't deplorable shit bags.

Which is why the Democratic party can't get shit done. It's not really a group of people that are focused about ANY political ideal or direction anymore. Beyond I ain't down with that nazi kkk shit, or looking the other way. Which isn' really political it' basic fucking decency.

Last edited:

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reminded of

7e1.png

Which, like, yeah, actually, outside "identity politics" issues gamergaters tend to cluster around the internet libertarian thing - not so much Rand Paul as Richard Dawkins. The same nu atheist anti-religion types that were cheering Obama laying the smack down on the religious right in 2008 are the same ones looking at Damore's memo and thinking, "he had some good points, he shouldn't have been fired." The picture's a little more complicated than stereotypes would have you to believe.

But the moral case isn't complicated at all. Adams can't wriggle his way out of his apologia for bigots because he likes gay marriage and legalized weed. It's possible to be a racist prick and also have generally progressive economic views. And to the extent that such people abandon their progressive bona fides to support someone just because they'll stick it to the SJWs, they weren't all that progressive to start with.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Exactly. If centrist conservatives are offended that they're being lumped in with the alt-right, then the burden of proof is on them. They don't deserve any liberal remorse yet.

Cranston

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

True.

You'd probably take the piss out of me as, one has to be honest, I'm not the most intimidating chap in town. There's only so dangerous a man who dresses in Marks and Spencer cords can be. But if it was someone who looked like they were versed in the dark art of fisticuffs, you'd nod or politely demure.

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
We over label everything. Everything has to be black or white, with us or against us. It's a hilariously stupid point of view if you take two steps back.

Argue with Trump supporters all day, I say. But realize they all don't have the same exact motivations and values, despite the media's obsession with generalizations.

Apr 1, 2018
If anything we're severely under-labeling it, most people complaining about it's overlabeling are also employ the kind of tactics as "Hitler was a bad person HOWEVER ..." and "Not all nazis were bad!!!". They're basically in denial or have something to hide.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Defo. I really dislike dave rubin but he has a point when people like him peterson, shapiro, Eric and Brett wlWeinstein, Harris et Al are all lumped into the same group and considered to be on par with someone like Richard Spencer.

But then they go and merk themselves by considering themselves part of the "intellectual dark Web" lol so idk

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 4461

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Scott Adams was one example. Richard Lewis (the esports one) is another example (and yes, he wrote for Breitbart, but none of his writings were political + he wrote for them before they became... infamous).

Who cares, though? Trump supporters might not be Swastika, goose stepping Nazis, but they're ok with a president that supports Nazis. They're ok with the destruction of democracy.
They're not any better than Nazis.

Point is, as someone else said, you can potentially reason with a Trump supporter or single-issue voter. You can't reason with a Nazi.

The latter is committed to spreading hate and ignorance, the former just... is ignorant of politics much of the time. I've seen people who try to defend Trump then resort to calling it "just politics," because they don't understand the significance of a vote.

Wait, what? When was the last time those incompetent clowns killed someone? Last I heard, Richard Spencer was whining about how antifa was winning after getting punched in the face.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Why are we interested in spending so much energy on distinguishing varieties of racist/sexist views? Is Scott Adams any less shitty if we don't call him alt right?

OP, you're prefacing every post with "yeah what he did is indefensible and bad but..." then defending him. Why bother? Is it simply the label that bothers you so much? I'm of the opinion that we don't need to stand up for bigots of any kind.