• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

January 2019 Direct - Yes or No?

• Yes!

Votes: 425 79.3%
  • No...

Votes: 32 6.0%
  • Yes, but no one cares about Fire Emblem

Votes: 69 12.9%
  • No, but of course there's gonna be one in anotter month

Votes: 10 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Give me that FE goodness and maybe AC. That's all that really matters right now. They have E3 to blow their load with Pokemon on.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We've had at least one Direct in each January since 2013. The last two have been on the second Thursday, which would be the 10th.

October NES games updated on the 10th, November on the 14th, and December on the 12th. Second Wednesday in each month. I'd suspect they will shadow-drop the January NES games in the Direct and potentially share plans for the next few months of content.

But, as always, who knows!

Yeah I feel like the NES games are a much bigger clue about this than anything else. But combine that with the lack of release dates for anything after January and it should be a no-brainer.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
2013 was the first January Direct and it was the panic direct that will never be repeated

2014 had no January Direct unless you really want to a count a South Korea only Direct about 3DS game release dates

2015 was the Western release date for the New 3DS XL and Wii game downloads on Wii U and mostly fluff and release dates on known stuff otherwise

2016 had no January Direct

2017 was the big Switch presentation event and that's obviously a once in a generation thing

2018 we got a mini Direct that was mostly Switch release dates and port announcements for the first half of the year.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
So what if someone answers yes or no, what does that change? We'll still be waiting anyway

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Exactly: no admin would close a thread opened by a guy with a Luma avatar

Now we need to gather enough hype for the direct to happen

ZbCafzd.png

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Predictions

Safe Tier:
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe reminder
Yoshi's Crafted World Date
Piranha Plant Smash DLC date

Plausible Tier:
Fire Emblem Three Houses date
Spotlight on promising Indie title
Port of Wii U title (Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, or something similar)
Major Third Party port
New DLC for existing first party title (Mario Kart 8, Super Mario Party, or something similar)
Animal Crossing release window and teaser

Hopes Tier:
Metroid Prime 4 teaser
Metroid Prime Trilogy announcement
Bayonetta 3 teaser and release window
Joker Smash DLC gameplay
Persona 5 Switch port announcement

Dreams Tier:
Custom Robo for Switch
Mario Gridiron Football
Fallout New Vegas Port

Edit: adding animal crossing release window to plausible Tier.
I would go nuts with a New Vegas remaster.

Never going to happen though. I'm sure Bethesda would rather remaster Fallout 3.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
My brain says January general Direct, February Pokémon Direct.
But my heart says January Pokémon Direct and February general Direct.

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
January directs are the best! Often with Switch we have no idea what's coming in the year and it's full of surprises.

This time we do know some of the major games already, but there's still a ton of unknowns.

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
2013 was the first January Direct and it was the panic direct that will never be repeated

2014 had no January Direct unless you really want to a count a South Korea only Direct about 3DS game release dates

2015 was the Western release date for the New 3DS XL and Wii game downloads on Wii U and mostly fluff and release dates on known stuff otherwise

2017 was the big Switch presentation event and that's obviously a once in a generation thing

2018 we got a mini Direct that was mostly Switch release dates and port announcements for the first half of the year.

Well, there's not been once since September, so there ought to be one in January. If there isnt, Nintendo — and particularly Retro — are in big trouble

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I also disagree with the people who think it'll happen because of trends, but the thing with those first few dates listed is that it was the Wii U era which was notoriously low on announcements. Right now we're basically in the same spot we were in late 2017/early 2018 - we know games are coming soon, but we don't have specific dates.

The only major release we know about so far is NSMBU. February is basically empty outside of Steins;Gate and BlazBlue, March just has a Super Robot Wars game for Japan. Nintendo seems pretty committed to pushing at least one major game a month so it's a matter of time before we find out what they are.

CorĂ­u

Feb 27, 2018
Asturies

But it should be noted there had been Directs in December 2013 and November 2014, as opposed to September this time around. Also, it's not the Wii U era anymore.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017

This should be in the OP. So many people seem to think that there is always a January direct.

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
Well, there's not been once since September, so there ought to be one in January. If there isnt, Nintendo — and particularly Retro — are in big trouble
I also disagree with the people who think it'll happen because of trends, but the thing with those first few dates listed is that it was the Wii U era which was notoriously low on announcements. Right now we're basically in the same spot we were in late 2017/early 2018 - we know games are coming soon, but we don't have specific dates.

The only major release we know about so far is NSMBU. February is basically empty outside of Steins;Gate and BlazBlue, March just has a Super Robot Wars game for Japan. Nintendo seems pretty committed to pushing at least one major game a month so it's a matter of time before we find out what they are.
But it should be noted there had been Directs in December 2013 and November 2014, as opposed to September this time around. Also, it's not the Wii U era anymore.
Oh, I think a January Direct is likely, if for no other reason than the lack of release dates, I'm just pointing out that "there's always a January Direct!" is some confirmation bias.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly always, but a lot of times.

We had one or two Directs in 2013, 2014, 2015 and a Mini one in 2018.
In 2017 we had the Nintendo Switch live presentation from Japan.

This year is a particular case though where a lot of 2019 games are already announced, but besides NSMBU Deluxe we have no official release dates.
To be fair 2016 makes perfect sense to skip as that's the year that basically had no new announcements from Nintendo, and few new games in general. So I guess it makes sense that they one year without one is the one that had no games.

Thread still not locked. Hmmm.
Is this a sign?
200.gif

Though tbh I expected one next week anyway.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

What does Retro have to do with anything? All of their games have been revealed at E3, it's not a good idea to expect anything from them at a Direct.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not exactly always, but a lot of times.

We had one or two Directs in 2013, 2014, 2015 and a Mini one in 2018.
In 2017 we had the Nintendo Switch live presentation from Japan.

This year is a particular case though where a lot of 2019 games are already announced, but besides NSMBU Deluxe we have no official release dates.
We have to know what the NES online releases are for January too though, that will most likely be in a direct

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I believe that there will be a Nintendo Direct (either full or mini) on January 10th, the day before NSMBUD launches for Switch. That's my guess and expectation anyway. Originally thought a week after NSMBUD but then thought that having it the day before would be a good "reminder" about the game and what's coming for the first half of 2019.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
We've not heard word of Retro for half a decade, if we don't hear from them in this direct, their relegation to ND-Cube tier is all but confirmed.

Like I said, if you're expecting anything from them in a non-E3 Direct then that's on you. They have never, once, had a game revealed outside of E3. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that the expectation should be E3 at the earliest.

But since those leaks that started last February, absolutely nobody should've been expecting anything from Retro until E3 2019.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
A Pokémon Direct would make a certain amount of sense- I was expecting a later reveal this time around, but XY was revealed in January and Sun/Moon in February, so it would be by no means unprecedented.

XY and S/M were both pretty spread out from their predecessors. I feel they might wait closer to E3 like they did with LGPE so they don't step on the legs of those games.

The points against a January direct are a lot fewer than for it.

For example, the lack of any dated games if we look as far as one month ahead.
Yup. And with indications towards Yoshi being Q1 and next to no games dated past January, a direct this month seems like a lock.

Zelretch

Oct 25, 2017
of course we will have one, in the uncoming 2 weeks. Which format of direct is another topic, maybe a mini, or a full heavy one. But we will have one for sure to refresh the january releases and put dates for February and March. If we are lucky we will get a few surprise announcements for the rest of the year, however i don't expect any deep dives into any of the announcments (which means besides dates i don't think we will get a los of information of the already announced games like Animal Crossing)

Conor419

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
London
Like I said, if you're expecting anything from them in a non-E3 Direct then that's on you. They have never, once, had a game revealed outside of E3. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that the expectation should be E3 at the earliest.

But since those leaks that started last February, absolutely nobody should've been expecting anything from Retro until E3 2019.

Shit, then it's all but confirmed. Retro Studios are in BIG trouble

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I expect one. What's with the poll option about expecting a direct and not caring about Fire Emblem? That's probably my most anticipated game next year.

TubaZef

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
So, we're in full hype mode?

Ok then, I'm betting we'll get a Nintendo Direct on the 10th: release dates for Yoshi and Fire Emblem, SNES games on the Switch Online thing, Skyward Sword Remastered, Animal Crossing, Bayonetta 3 first trailer, Advance Wars Switch, Mother 3 HD, Star Fox Vengeance, F-Zero Origins, Pikmin 4: The Return of Emperor Bulblax, Resident Evil 8, Chrono Trigger 2, Beyond Good And Evil 3 and Kid Icarus Revelations.

Keeping my expectations low.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
No way a new gen only has 5 months of marketing before release. A new gen is not just new games but new merch, new anime, new movies...
I never said 5 months. I was thinking more along the lines of March or April. My point was just that I don't think it will drop this month. Cutting sales short a mere two months after release for the last game releases sounds far worse than cutting off the first couple of months for the next gen. Especially since the first few months are generally very light on new content.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Even if there next game (if there is one) released this year, that'll have been just about six and half/seven years full development. If that's what it has taken to make a Starfox racing game, then the studio are in BIG trouble.

It could just be Nintendo delaying it to fit their idea of a schedule. Tropical Freeze spent far longer in a finished state unreleased to fill in an early slot on the Wii U. Maybe stop trying to be vindictive this early?

Status
Not open for further replies.