• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
While we are seeing more games support UW options, it is a worth the upgrade. I'm thinking of setting up a Flight Simulator rig--I love aviation and this seems like a killer game.

Deleted member 12833

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my ultrawide but there are a lot of games where the cutscenes that have black bars. How much would that bother you?

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I have friend with one that I'm jelly of pretty much every time I see it. If you're thinking of sim gaming, it's a definite upgrade over a traditional monitor imo, though I've never play flight simulator on it. Only racing games where it's a genuinely lovely experience.

Alex4

May 12, 2019
I think its a worthy upgrade since its great for gaming, but I also use it for school work.

sportz103

Oct 26, 2017
I just got an Odyssey G9 a month ago and am loving it, though I did end up upgrading from a 2070 to a 3080 to help drive it better (1440p, 240hz, G-Sync)

SoH

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the only time I hear people talking about their ultrawide is in the context of complaining because some game doesn't natively support their weird ass 999999x7 resolution.

Purely anecdotal, of course.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
IMO they're the definitive PC gaming experience. Other than VR, nothing is more immersive or worthwhile.

RSTEIN

Nov 13, 2017
Yes just got one myself. It's an incredible experience. Not just for games but for productivity too.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, ultrawide is good times. I think G-Sync or some kind of variable rate tech is more important though, so hopefully you have the cash for both.

Please note that official ultrawide support is kinda limited so you won't be using it as often as you'd like. It's more of a feature for your desktop and the games are a nice bonus.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
I've never gone for it because:
- Don't want to deal with games not supporting it properly
- More interested in VRR, high refresh rate, and IPS. I dunno if you can even find one that checks all four of those boxes without costing two fortunes

EBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely amazing for any productivity task. It's also spectacular for games that support the resolution. For games that don't support it, it's less ideal. As someone who has had one for 6 years, I won't go back. Awaiting that new 144 hz 38" AW panel in November if I can swallow the price.

GamePnoy74

Oct 27, 2017
I use my LG 34GN850 mostly for productivity tasks but when gaming it's great, especially when playing at 144hz since it has G-Sync support. Not cheap but worth it.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
They're a mixed bag. I have the 34" alienware and I like it but a couple thoughts

They can be expensive
21:9 Support is spotty and black bars suck
The picture is not as good as high-end TVs

When it's good it's good but I probably wouldn't buy another one

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's worth it. Got mine a year ago and love it ever since.

Keep in mind that a lot of games don't support it natively and requires editing an config role, while some games just don't do it at all. Even for games that supports it the FOV and UI gets messed up.

So prepare to do some tweaking every now and then. Often I'd just play them in a 1080p window.

Max A.

Oct 27, 2017
I've never gone for it because:
- Don't want to deal with games not supporting it properly
- More interested in VRR, high refresh rate, and IPS. I dunno if you can even find one that checks all four of those boxes without costing two fortunes
I have the LG 34GN850-B; G-Sync/Freesync, 160Hz, IPS and less than $1000 if you're in the States (I paid two fortunes in Canada, but it was worth it)

MrBob

Oct 25, 2017
Most modern games i play today have native ultrawide support, so yeah I'm happy with mine. Black bars in cut scenes suck at times but whatever don't really care about that too much.

If a game doesn't have native support can find a patch many times too.

Uhtred

Alt Account
Banned
May 4, 2020
Most modern games support it really well. Especially PC exclusives or PC focused games. For example, the Baldur's Gate 3 early access supports it superbly, with cinematics and cutscenes and UI all taking full advantage. Game looks phenomenal in ultrawide... most games do.

It's not universal though, but I can count in one hand the number of games I've had issues with and most of them can be resolved with community fixes.

Video cinematics and game cutscenes tend to be the biggest issues, especially coming from console ports, unless the devs care, and sometimes they do... (I've seen a lot of dev shops with ultra wide monitors for developer stations) But, I mean they're just 16:9 in those cases. It's not a big deal. When they do these right, it's a treat though.

Also, great for productivity. I love programming on it.

Perfect Chaos

Oct 25, 2017
Charlottesville, VA, USA
I have the alienware aw3420dw. Got it mostly for productivity but after gaming on it, don't think I could go back. Beautiful image
Same, love it.

As others have noted, most modern games support ultrawide, though some still have black barred cinematics.

Lots of old games will require some tweaks if it's possible at all, though if you're not afraid of diving into config files or installing community patches, it's really not a big deal to get things patched up.

thisismadness

Oct 25, 2017
I recently switched to ultrawide last month. I am loving it.

So far, just about every recent game that I've played/tested has had support, although many do have black bars during cutscenes. Its not a big deal to me and its not like a regular monitor would offer some advantage there, my periphery would just be filled with the white wall behind my monitor instead of the black bars. 🤷‍♂️

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They're a mixed bag. I have the 34" alienware and I like it but a couple thoughts

They can be expensive
21:9 Support is spotty and black bars suck
The picture is not as good as high-end TVs

When it's good it's good but I probably wouldn't buy another one
This is so disappointing. It's 2020. How is that support for 3440 x 1440 resolutions is still a problem?
LOL Most new games have 3440 x 1440 support. No Idea where the above poster gets his info because I can't even remember the last new game I bought with out it.

But to answer the question. 100% worth it. Will never go back.

BushidoBro

Oct 27, 2017
Got one 2 weeks ago and I love it, though yes there can be some tweaking involved as not every game natively supports it as already stated. Totally worth it though IMO

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a little more than 4 years since I started using ultrawides.

29" 1080p 75 Hz both at work and home. I just got an Alienware (AW3420DW), 34" 1440 120 Hz.

It is amazing. My PC is in the living room and I can freely choose comfy couch (LG C9) or monitor. Unless it is a game my SO is interested, I will choose the monitor.

Coolade

Oct 27, 2017
Been using an ultrawide for several years and I would never go back to 16:9 even at gunpoint.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes. A thousand times yes. Compatibility is pretty good these days. Prices have fallen. And it makes a huge difference to immersion. Plus it's great for general desktop usage.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't understand is why an ultra competitive game like CS:GO officially supports 21:9, but Overwatch and Valorant don't.

If Valve can do it, and it doesn't destroy the balance of the game, why can't these other competitive games do it?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Absolutely. I've been using an ultrawide for 5+ years now. Will never go back. Also, yes there are games that don't handle ultrawide the best, but thankfully you can drop to a 16:9/16:10 resolution in windows to get around that.

Ultrawide or death!

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
are black bars really all that bad? I never tried one, but I can't imagine it being that distracting. Not that it's comparable but I don't have much issue playing or watching 4:3 content on a 16:9 screen.

Dec 13, 2018
In my opinion most new games support FoV sliders and the correct resolution which make ultra wide screen seem fantastic. Star Wars Squadrons and MS Flight Simulator have stood out, but sometimes especially in DOTA 2 and a few other games that just stretch things , it's infuriating. Most esports games don't support it. On some rare instances (and for older games) everything just breaks. Also, I have a dell ultrawide and the picture quality is crap.

love it for productivity shit though.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
I use an ultrawide but I would switch back to 16:9 next time. It's just not worth dealing with games that don't support it, and makes streaming to my Steam Link exceptionally awkward.

Davidion

Charitable King
Oct 27, 2017
Yes. I have no plans to ever buy a non-Ultrawide monitor again unless there's some desperate space issues. There's zero reason to.

Unless you've some allergy to black bars, it's almost defacto better in every way.

Last edited:

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
I'd say they are worth it, the wider view is amazing. As to support, it's widespread with boxed in cutscenes usually which really isn't that big of an issue.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
LOL Most new games have 3440 x 1440 support. No Idea where the above poster gets his info because I can't even remember the last new game I bought with out it.

But to answer the question. 100% worth it. Will never go back.

support is getting better, but some of the most widely played games (e.g. overwatch, valorant, fall guys) do not have ultrawide support. it is something to be aware of. i personally think it's worth it, but if a lot of your playtime consists of any of those unsupported games then you might think about it some more

Oreoleo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I just upgraded to a bigger monitor in May and I really regret not going UW. I bet the extra screen size does a lot for immersion.

Hound

Jul 6, 2019
It's amazing OP. 16:9 is an inferior trash ratio. Worst case scenario is you end up with pillar boxes and you'll need to step up your GPU.

Shifty Capone

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Absolutely worth it. 32:9 is even better!

Fall guys does have 32:9/21:9 support. Just need a small hex edit. Really easy to do. Overwatch/Valorant don't support it. Those are really the only two games I can think of that don't support Super Utlrawide, let alone standard 21:9 ultrawides