• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 18347

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Another great video by Natalie Wynn.

I think it was a thorough look into a transphobic meme, how it came to be and the impact it had on the trans and gay community.

And ultimately... give an answer to the clueless and uninformed while dropping some truth bombs.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
nice, been waiting for a new video

EDIT: damn this one looks to be meaty

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
I keep seeing her videos recommended by people like Lindsay Ellis.

Might as well go in with this one.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm actually about to finish the video, I love their channel SO MUCH.

Also they have damn Astolfo picture in the background and that's just beautiful.

nj0Yqgu.png

No way I wouldn't spot my favorite character.

Oct 25, 2017
I remember on the old place someone said the "anime traps" did more to humanize trans people than years of trans activism

The cringe I felt remembering that was intense

Oct 25, 2017
Though I wouldn't phrase it as such, this is something that's been on my mind lately as a nominal supporter of trans rights. As much as I hate to admit it, dating a trans woman is not something I'm comfortable with, and I feel like that's something of a failure on my part.

I'm close to a third of the way through this video right now with this dilemma at the back of my mind.

Oct 25, 2017
Though I wouldn't phrase it as such, this is something that's been on my mind lately as a nominal supporter of trans rights. As much as I hate to admit it, dating a trans woman is not something I'm comfortable with, and I feel like that's something of a failure on my part.

I'm close to a third of the way through this video right now with this dilemma at the back of my mind.

Are you not okay with it because of society or because you might not be attracted? if it's attraction then it's fine, the problem is the first part.

preta

Oct 25, 2017

If you were attracted to a woman, started dating her, everything was going well, and then you found out she was trans, what would you do?

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yep, this is another great piece from Natalie. I love how she approaches things so much, and she always makes great, insightful points.

Plus she's funny. One of the only people I support on Patreon, and proudly.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm leaning towards the latter, but with this sort of thing, it'd hard to say for sure.

If you like someone and there's ever a chance to go out with them, take it.

At the end of the day it's your choice to make and it's easy to tell others to "do something" when I don't know what type of consequences you might face, but always remember that the trans individual is dealing with way worse shit than someone wondering if society would judge them for dating someone that is trans.

If you don't feel attracted, it's fine, you don't get to choose who you are attracted to and you shouldn't feel bad about it, even if we might have some mental barriers regarding all of this, it's a complex topic.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
<3 Contra Points

I'm going to dig into the full 45 minute thing later, but my general feeling is that no, it's obviously not gay. Guys who like transwomen are not necessarily any more likely to be into men.

But thinking of sexuality in binary gay/straight terms is sort of stupid anyway. Everyone has a range of features they're going to be into. Different straight men can have different predilections. Not all straight men are going to be into transwomen, but some are, and that's not really a question of "how gay."

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now

As a person who felt somewhat the same, it's actually a good thing to express reservations. My own feeling changed after dating both a trans man and trans woman (separately, if anyone asks).

I felt attraction, and through talking and sharing feelings, my own issue was what others thought. Once I realized that, I suddenly realized that I was the issue.

I don't know your story, nor would I assume, but it is something you can probably talk to others here a bit more... But I just wanted to share my own story c:

Van Dine

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
User Banned (Permanent): Transphobic alt account

Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day all you can be reasonably expected to do is treat other people with respect in regards to their preferred name and pronouns, if at the end of the day you can't see a trans person as anything other than their birth sex then that's perfectly fine, just don't be a raging asshole about it.

Probably less than 1% of the population actually accepts trans people (talking about acceptance here not tolerance). Even as someone who meets the diagnostic criteria for GID myself, I still don't view transgender identities as valid barring a few exceptions.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day all you can be expected to do is treat other people with respect in regards to their preferred name and pronouns, if at the end of the day you can't see a trans person as anything other than their birth sex then that's perfectly fine, just don't be a raging asshole about it.

Probably less than 1% of the population actually accepts trans people (talking about acceptance here not tolerance). Even as someone who meets the diagnostic criteria for GID myself, I still don't view transgender identities as valid barring a few exceptions.

No, that's not perfectly fine at all. The most basic thing that we want from people is for them to respect our identities and not act like we're making all of this up.

NickHyde

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing wrong with that. At the end of the day all you can be reasonably expected to do is treat other people with respect in regards to their preferred name and pronouns, if at the end of the day you can't see a trans person as anything other than their birth sex then that's perfectly fine, just don't be a raging asshole about it.

DUDE.

Frozenprince

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
14 posts, clearly inflammatory post meant to derail thread, with "but as a trans person myself" at the end.

Yeah nah brehs, don't even bother.

Oct 25, 2017
If you were attracted to a woman, started dating her, everything was going well, and then you found out she was trans, what would you do?

I don't know. I know that's not a good answer, but it's all I can offer.

At the end of the day it's your choice to make and it's easy to tell others to "do something" when I don't know what type of consequences you might face, but always remember that the trans individual is dealing with way worse shit than someone wondering if society would judge them for dating someone that is trans.

That's the biggest reason the question's on my mind. If I were to find myself having to turn down a woman for being trans, I don't see how I wouldn't be the bad guy in that situation.

And I apologize for making this topic about me. Figures I'd accidentally make a thread about the struggles of trans women into one about a man feeling cisgender guilt over it.

Oct 25, 2017
That's the biggest reason the question's on my mind. If I were to find myself having to turn down a woman for being trans, I don't see how I wouldn't be the bad guy in that situation.

And I apologize for making this topic about me. Figures I'd accidentally make a thread about the struggles of trans women into one about a man feeling cisgender guilt over it.

Don't worry about it, it's good to talk about these things, it's all about being respectful about it and trying to be better.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I'm leaning towards the latter, but with this sort of thing, it'd hard to say for sure.

Should be noted that it is easy to fall in transphobic territory with the "I don't feel attraction to trans women" because we are almost reaching a point where puberty therapy is getting supper common which means that the literal only difference to cis woman will be chromossomes

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Should be noted that it is easy to fall in transphobic territory with the "I don't feel attraction to trans women" because we are almost reaching a point where puberty therapy is getting supper common which means that the literal only difference to cis woman will be chromossomes
Well, I think a "trap" is specifically a woman who hasn't had bottom surgery, no? Or am I misunderstanding the topic? I don't think all transwomen would be considered "traps."

How About No

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Great Dairy State

God fucking dammit

If you are who I think you are I'm gonna be pretty upset

Please, get some help, it's not too late

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I think a "trap" is specifically a woman who hasn't had bottom surgery, no? Or am I misunderstanding the topic? I don't think all transwomen would be considered "traps."

Trap is a derogatory slur about transwoman, in so much as they "trapped" men into having sex with "another man". it's the same gay baiting fear they used to use to justify beating up a gay man that looked at them for longer than they thought was necessary (cause if a gay man found you attractive, did that mean you're a gay man. Spoilers: no.) As such, it refers to all trans women, SRS or no, because transphobes (the only people who use this term, and yes, I know some trans people use trap to refer to themselves. I stand by what I said) are seen as men by them.