• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you have tile in your living room and bedroom?

• Yes

Votes: 59 14.4%
  • No

Votes: 352 85.6%

• Total voters

RetroMG

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Most places I've lived in have had carpet at least in the bedrooms. My last house had hardwood flooring in the living room, and tile everywhere else. (I didn't like it.)

My new house has carpet everywhere except for the hallways, bathroom, and kitchen, which are tiled.

IMO tile is much less comfortable, but much easier to keep clean.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
In the US tile doesn't work well for kitchen and bedrooms since it gets cold here, carpet is better in those ways.
Tile you def will see in warmer climates.
Carpet in a kitchen? Well I never...

Cold here in the UK and generally tiles in bathroom and kitchen. Never seen it in bedroom or living rooms.

I noticed it a lot in Greece, Spain, Turkey and Carribean though so I just thought hot/humid countries = tiles in living spaces colder countries = carpeted/wood. Kitchens I've always seen either tile, laminate or hard wood.

Not even sure if anyone except the super weathly does heated floors in the UK.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Usually reserved to kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms in my experience in the North and North East, even then many mid-late century homes go for laminate/linoleum in those rooms and carpet in the rest, which is just ugly and shitty to deal with. Older homes is where you'll find decent wood floors and tiles, but a lot of those got carpeted and linoleumed along the way. Unless you live in the South/SW where it's constantly warm or you live in a house or building that's quite modern and new with good floor heating it's just too cold for most.

Last edited:

Old Man Spike

Oct 29, 2017
United States
The bedrooms in my house all have laminate floors, the kitchen is old linoleum, the living room is carpeted, and the bathrooms and hallway are tiled with cheap ceramic. I plan on modernizing the bathrooms soon and I'll have those floors replaced with new tile, and eventually I'll have all the other rooms redone with waterproof vinyl plank. No way I'd ever consider going back with carpet.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Carpet in a kitchen? Well I never...

Cold here in the UK and generally tiles in bathroom and kitchen. Never seen it in bedroom or living rooms.

I noticed it a lot in Greece, Spain, Turkey and Carribean though so I just thought hot/humid countries = tiles in living spaces colder countries = carpeted/wood. Kitchens I've always seen either tile, laminate or hard wood.

Not even sure if anyone except the super weathly does heated floors in the UK.
nah not the kitchen more the living areas where you spend most time have carpet. but Caribbean etc tile is way better since you don't have to worry about heating etc.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I really recommend sticking to hardwood. Vinyl looks fake, rubbery, once you see it laid out. If you just look at it from up close it looks real enough but not once it covers the whole space.

If you don't care about that it's a bit cheaper though.
The flooring now is engineered hardwood. And whoever installed it did a shitty job. You can hear hollow spots underneath likely due to insufficient glue. It's also cupping up in some areas due to unrelated water issues. Finally, due to some other work we've done and them not leaving any sufficient info to figure out where they got it, it's impossible to patch what we need.

We're in a small house and everything is high traffic. So we wanted something that could stand up to that along with waterproofing or at least better water resistance.

We wouldn't do the vinyl sheets. It would be LVP which is harder, easy to install, scratch resistant, etc.There have been a lot of advances in that space. I do need to look into laminate too, though.

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
We wanted tile originally but decided to go with what we have now

-All bedrooms, media room, game room and stairs have carpet
-Living room, study room, dining room, breakfast area and kitchen (all downstairs) have wooded floor
-All bathrooms have tile floor

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My house has hardwood floors with tiles only in the laundry room and the bathroom contains vinyl. We used to have installed carpet, but we tore that out for the better.

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
We've got simulated wood flooring that looks somewhat like this.

RGAv4hO.jpg

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017
I would say it was somewhat common in the mid to late 00's, especially when the wood-look tile became popular.

I don't like it though. There's zero give, so if you're a no-shoes household, it's torture on your feet.

We have LVT everywhere except for the tiled bathrooms and utility room.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Our house has tile, but carpet in the bedrooms and living room. I live in the southwest so tile is common here, but its usually not in bedrooms.

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
Tile in a living area seems like a bad idea on a number of levels. The first being it's not aesthetically pleasing in the context of a living area. I hate carpet but it's warm and inviting depending on the cleanliness and the type. Wood is the perfect middle ground. It's more forgiving than tile if a person were to fall or just wanted to lay on the floor and it's not a disgusting dust/dirt trap like carpet.

Oct 29, 2017
Hardwood floors everywhere except bathroom and kitchen or bust. Could even have hardwood in kitchen if you have a proper kitchen rug/mat.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Tile is too cold. We have it on our first floor and it's always significantly colder especially during the winter like right now. It's nice during the summer though. The carpeted stairs and second floor is nice

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Tile in the bedroom sounds like an absolute nightmare to step on in the morning.

Oct 27, 2017
Only place you'd really see that around where I live in the us is a bathroom, possibly the kitchen, and perhaps around the entrance to the house. Certainly not in a bedroom/living room.

Litigator

Oct 31, 2017
Tile is more durable. It won't dent, scratch, gouge or get water damage like hardwood. But it's not as comfy or inviting as wood floor. In climates where we have actual winters it's cold unless you have in-floor heating. It also goes through trends and fads a lot and looks dated quickly whereas hardwood is timeless.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
My house is from the 1950's so original hardwood here (Michigan). Kitchen and bath have tile. Kitchen is made too look like wood.

GungHo

Nov 27, 2017
People in my part of Texas regret the shit out of their carpet and hardwood floors the second time they experience a flood. (The first time they figure it will never happen again and they just put the shit back in.)

We have sealed saltillo in the kitchens and bathrooms and textured simulated wood tiles in the living/bedroom areas. We are a barefoot household, so we augment with area rugs under the bed, around couches, etc.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Our kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room, and entry way are tiled. The rest is wood flooring and carpeting (which we are replacing project by project).

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018
They're not super popular, but you do see them in warmer areas. if you're not going with carpet, you're likely to have a hardwood floor than tiles.

Last edited:

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
in bathrooms some places i've lived, never living rooms or bedrooms though that's always carpet or hardwood

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Tile is a bathroom, mud room thing. Hardwood throughout the rest of the house with rugs to break it up visually.

Deleted member 5359

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tile floors are popular in Florida because of the humidity: carpet gets moldy and hardwoods can swell and warp.

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Suburban USA loves its carpeted floors. In more urban areas you mostly get wood floors, tile for kitchen and bathroom only.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Tile in a bedroom would be news to me, but I could see it in a warmer climate

br0ken_shad0w

Oct 27, 2017
Washington
My family's homes in asia are mainly tile. But I do prefer hardwood over tile. My old apartment had an option to get units with polished concrete flooring which sounds even worse.

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
It's regional. The further south you are the more likely you are to have tile through the whole house. The further north the more they are only used in bathrooms, laundry, and kitchens. Even kitchens are on the way out since there are nicer looking waterproof options now. Very few people like cold/hard floors.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
We got carpet for living room and bedrooms, hardwood in the kitchen and dining and entrances, tile in the bathrooms. I think that's pretty normal for the US.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tile is usually a deal breaker for my wife and I when we look at houses (we are now). Only in bathrooms or kitchens.

Hardwood and nice laminate are the only options elsewhere. Carpet is okay in bedrooms.

Nasym

Banned
Jan 13, 2021
Sweden
Carpet i will never understand. Wood if possible and laminate if not. Like, carpet?? So weird, and disgusting ofc. Or do people replace them yearly?

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
As most have mentioned, tile in bathrooms and kitchen only. Carpet in living room, all bedrooms and sunroom. Laminate w/ rugs in basement.

Carpet i will never understand. Wood if possible and laminate if not. Like, carpet?? So weird, and disgusting ofc. Or do people replace them yearly?
We vacuum weekly and own a carpet cleaning machine. *shrug*

Last edited:

Nasym

Banned
Jan 13, 2021
Sweden
Yes, i understand you can keep it clean. But arent alot of people not that into cleaning? Carpet just seems like such upkeep

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Tile is for places where things can spill or stain, so bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms.

Carpet is for places you want your feet to touch nice soft warm stuff, like the bedroom and living room. I don't want to wake up and put my feet on a cold hard surface.

Oct 27, 2017
maybe if the tile is nicer, but a lot of starter homes in the US have cheap, ugly tile that gets discolored as it ages. wood or concrete for me

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Depends on where you live, but laminate simulated wood plank floorings are most common, then carpet, then real wood. I don't think I've ever seen a tiled room outside of a bathroom, and I've spent quite a bit of time looking at houses over the last year.

golguin

Oct 29, 2017
As people have said it's tiles for kitchen and bathroom.

I've seen houses that are all tiles until you get into bedrooms.

Lexad

Nov 4, 2017
Used to have them in our house. Kind of a southwestern red adobe tile but recently replaced for wood/vinyl flooring

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Tiles is the usual in Spain. As a matter of fact I'll be looking for a tile I like to use the same design for the whole house if I can.