• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
The UI aspect is 100% the thing that makes me all in or all out on MMO's. I stopped WoW a couple months before the new expansion and the primary barriers for me are UI and keybind / new abilities related.

I think I'm even still paying for 2 subs, just can't get over that hump or pull the plug.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
In FFXIV you can customise the UI and enlarge/ensmol/en-get-rid-of any parts of the UI you want

Here's mine, the tank is dead cause he tried to kill me but stacked a tankbuster on the other tank. So I'm happy he got dead

GjbIC9l.jpg

As I'm a healer I like to keep the party list as close to center without obscuring mechanics, personal preference but darting my eyes back and forth gets really uncomfortable and exhausting and causes me to make errors.

Other choices I make include making boss cast bars absolutely huge and in center view as well.

Theres some unnecessary garbage like too big chat box and the sidequest list here

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
UI mods have improved, but also resolutions have increased a lot so everything doesn't need to be so big.

Risev

Oct 27, 2017
In FFXIV you can customise the UI and enlarge/ensmol/en-get-rid-of any parts of the UI you want

Here's mine, the tank is dead cause he tried to kill me but stacked a tankbuster on the other tank. So I'm happy he got dead

GjbIC9l.jpg

As I'm a healer I like to keep the party list as close to center without obscuring mechanics, personal preference but darting my eyes back and forth gets really uncomfortable and exhausting and causes me to make errors.

Other choices I make include making boss cast bars absolutely huge and in center view as well.
I'd argue it's not even a preference, but a requirement to have vital info like that as close to the center of the screen as possible if you're raiding hardcore. At least it is in WoW.

Part of the reason I don't do hardcore content anymore. I prefer minimalistic UI's in both FFXIV and WoW, which usually means I'm not performing 100%.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
Am I the only one that turns off the quest list in FF14? It seems pretty useless but is takes up a lot of space. All the screenshots people posted here though have it on.
I set it to turn off whenever I am doing instanced content. My gripe is actually how quest markers only show up when quests are marked on your list. I really wish I can just have all quest continuation markers so I can have "oh this other quest is over here let me do that while I'm in this area" scenarios.

ekim

Oct 26, 2017
I'm getting anxious with 10 opened tabs in my browser so I refuse to believe people can play a game like this.

syndicalist

Oct 25, 2017
It was a wild frontier. Many of us were playing in 1024x768 or lower. WoW's UI customization allowed for people to develop features for use-cases and playstyles that were arising by the day, mainly by amateurs and hobbyists. And it was certainly well before UI/UX became what it is today. Many of these features became standard in WoW and subsequently influenced FFXIV's UI design. It's a fascinating look into a player-developer symbiosis.

Some people just have shit taste, though. You'll still find some hideous interfaces floating around today.

I saw this floating around a while back. This person made an FFXIV UI for WoW.I might try it if I ever jump back in, but I have a soft spot for the basic WoW design.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
EU-wEsgUcAAH8V3

fun fact: i screencapped this from a nintendo game

This screencap is missing the Blade Combo tree in the top right corner.

mR6bdvd.jpg

You can hide much of the UI, tho. You don't need the names of the skills, for example.

You can hide exactly one thing in the UI (the names of the skills, as you said) and that option is hidden behind an analog-stick-click, so it barely counts.

For as ridiculous as it is, this is actually a good UI for Xenoblade 2's combat system. There's nothing that you can really get rid of without making the gameplay worse, and the large UI elements are necessary for playing in handheld mode.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny looking at those screenshots and knowing the name of each add on and exactly the reason why it's there. God, I miss WoW.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
It's a cluttered mess that would make an MMO blush. And if I recall correctly, the menus are a little slow/delayed too.
600+ hours in the game and I can tell you they're not slowed or delayed... as multiple users have said, it's a perfect UI for the gameplay of the game and every single piece has its purpose. It's even a great size for playing handheld. You can dislike it though - that's not what I'm arguing of course!

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Even the minimal UI screenshots in this thread terrify me now. I'm way too lazy to learn all that shit these days.

Plax

Nov 23, 2019
600+ hours in the game and I can tell you they're not slowed or delayed... as multiple users have said, it's a perfect UI for the gameplay of the game and every single piece has its purpose. It's even a great size for playing handheld. You can dislike it though - that's not what I'm arguing of course!

Yeah, maybe I have the wrong game in mind for the menus. But the UI is horrible. I spent about 40 hours with the game and never felt comfortable with it.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
It is absolutely not perfect for the game. There's a ton of extraneous info. For a start having the icons and the icon text instead of just well designed icons that you can see what they are. Having statuses show visually or with a small icon instead of ENRAGED with a big blue box over it is unnecessary. Even having things like the character level is not necessary to show in battle. Plus having the various link attacks plastered on the left, right and centre of the screen is overkill. Xenoblade 2s UI suffers from feeling the need to show everything on screen at the same time. Terrible UI. Terrible game.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
It is absolutely not perfect for the game. There's a ton of extraneous info. For a start having the icons and the icon text instead of just well designed icons that you can see what they are. Having statuses show visually or with a small icon instead of ENRAGED with a big blue box over it is unnecessary. Even having things like the character level is not necessary to show in battle. Plus having the various link attacks plastered on the left, right and centre of the screen is overkill. Xenoblade 2s UI suffers from feeling the need to show everything on screen at the same time. Terrible UI. Terrible game.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ worked great for me, a user who interfaces with it. fantastic game

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
as a raid healer in WoW i absolutely played like that.

you can't effectively heal 40 people without a set-up like that. also as a raid healer i barely need to care what is actually going on with the boss so the cluttered interface doesn't matter much.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. I was a healer during the first 3 WoW expansions. I had screens set up like this. I never saw what what happening - only health bars.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
You haven't raid much don't you? But it doesn't have to be that way though. Unless you trying to heal everyone in every group all the time.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Sort of

That's kind of what it looks like if you install the "necessary" mods for raids, but don't take extra time to lay it out well and turn off parts you don't need

You can spend a lot of hours tweaking the UI to get the right balance between necessary information and too much clutter

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
My mom played a healer in one of the biggest WoW raiding clans back in the day (in the Burning Crusade/Wrath of the Lich King era). Her screen absolutely looked like that. It's probably not so bad if you play a tank or DPS class though.

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I always go for a minimal clean UI look. Here's WoW with GW2 UI
rJVvvni.jpg
Was hoping someone would post GW2's. It is not customizable like WoW's or FFXIV's, but it does have all you need without worrying.

I also like the console version of XIV's. After tweaking a bit with the crossbar, it works really well and doesn't clutter my screen.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, those are all at 4:3 aspect ratio, so you're already losing a lot of screen space there.

Your WoW GUI is as cluttered as you decide to make it. It has basically unlimited customization.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah there is a lot of information feedback you need to pay attention to depending on your role and especially if your raiding.

sca

Oct 25, 2017
Was hoping someone would post GW2's. It is not customizable like WoW's or FFXIV's, but it does have all you need without worrying.
7psNRv9.jpg

cBwDCvz.jpg

These screenshots are a bit old, but the UI hasn't changed. I've recently added DPS meters, and damage/healing text that scroll to the side of my character (probably will remove).

Matrix Monkey

Dec 30, 2017
I never got that bad but the reason I stopped playing MMOs is because I got tired of staring at the UI and not what was actually happening.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
Ragnarok was where it was at.

UOolwJH.png
I remember there was some popular private server I used to play with thousands of members and it was kind of lame how the most powerful people were just the ones who donated a ton, got all the perks (I think there were significant benefits in guild wars, and other area) - literally just pay to win.

The thing that triggered me the most is that there wasn't much skill involved... just spam white pots in PVP / guild wars and spend $1000s in real life to get all +10 equip. I guess this applies to tons of MMROPGs anyways..

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017

GjbIC9l.jpg

Theres some unnecessary garbage like too big chat box and the sidequest list here

I do nearly the same thing, but nearer to my bars because i have tunnel vision (although i am NIN here, i heal raids typically)

SlgNGqI.png

I cannot fathom getting it more compact than this without upgrading my monitor.
I think what non-mmo players don't really appreciate is that, for certain jobs, a lot of the game is happening in the UI and the rest becomes just graphics to tell you where to stand.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
I never got that bad but the reason I stopped playing MMOs is because I got tired of staring at the UI and not what was actually happening.

it's how i dropped my basement dweller MMORPG addiction... i reached the epiphany "what is actually happening" is just a chat room with a command log

but that was the 00's i know (or assume) that doesn't apply across the board these days

Hasemo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I was very surprised when I got a "trying to find the gameplay behind all this excel" reaction to this: