• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Astra Planeta

Jan 26, 2018
Bloodborne does have a few genuine design problems as well. There are all kinds of cool weapons but really the Ludwigs blade is the best option. It is so much better than everything else its a real handicap if you dont use it. A perfect game would have many viable builds and weapons to progress through the game, but in BB quality build with ludwigs is the best by a mile. Also - because of how resistances works, arcane kind of sucks.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Bloodborne isn't perfect because they never bothered to fix the technical issues.

I'm expecting a PS5 re-release though.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Metal Gear Solid 3 for me maybe. Assuming you are down for Metal Gear shenanigans then MGS3 is shenanigans after shenanigans. Further assuming you read the game manual and had practised the finger gymnastics needed on occasion. Journey is pretty flawless too but maybe too short a game so has less chance of fucking up. The Last of Us felt flawless to me too but I haven't replayed it. Again assuming you are down for what TLoU is doing then it does it well. What I am saying is - it is subjective for what constitutes a perfect game.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Too many to list. Bloodborne is a fucking masterpiece, I agree OP.

Sekiro
Nioh
Hollow Knight
Gris
Spider-Man PS4
BOTW
Mario Odyssey
Nier Automata
Dark Souls 3
Last of Us
God of War (2018)
Journey
Abzu

Those are just some.
Seriously that's not even including classics like LTTP. etc

Last edited:

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
Bloodborne is good, far from perfect.

When I think of perfect games, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario World and Symphony of the Night come to mind.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Game of this generation for sure. "Perfect" is the wrong term, there are annoying design decisions and technical issues, but it was a fucking great experience without a doubt.

When I think of perfect games, Resident Evil 4, Super Mario World and Symphony of the Night come to mind.
This is why "perfect" is too loaded of a term to use on any game. You just listed 3 of my GOAT games, but SotN is too easy, Resident Evil 4 is too long, and Super Mario World is ... umm...

... okay, I guess perfect games do exist.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the technical issues (which I don't think is fair, but it's what the OP is doing so I'm playing along), I think the big reason I could never call Bloodborne perfect design-wise is because of the Forbidden Woods.

It's an annoying labyrinth of confusing paths and extremely frustrating enemies. In every other part of Bloodborne I enjoyed exploration and discovery, but in the woods I absolutely dreaded it and just wanted to get it over with. I almost quit the game because of it.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Bloodborne in some ways is a very restrictive, singular in focus, game. It's not trying to do too many things so in general that makes it easier to perfect the few things it does try. The world design is inferior to Dark Souls quite easily IMO. The platforming is not good. It's combat is certainly not the best but it's very good and the atmosphere, music etc is pretty special.

I guess I tend to like games that take more risks when possible that might be a bit more rough around the edges, that's not to say I didn't highly enjoy Bloodborne though. World of Warcraft was a more perfect game and a much more risky game to make.

Tetris is perhaps the perfect game but at the same time it's very simple in design.

Deleted member 17952

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought I liked Sekiro more than Bloodborne while I was playing Sekiro, but once I was done and I've thought it over some more, Bloodborne is still the greatest game of all time for me.

Hispanicguy

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris
Nex Machina
Geometry Wars 2

I can play these games for years to come. That's my definition of a "perfect" game.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I love Bloodborne but god damn does the performance annoy me.

For once I actually WANT a re release next gen so I can play it at a good frame rate.

Craymond

Oct 28, 2017
Portland
Gotta tell ya PT, reading the thread title + seeing your avatar = me imagining Annette being a huge fan of Bloodborne and I don't even know what's real anymore
I got to that first boss (which is brutal to get to btw) and he cheap-shotted me off a rando attack dropping from the ceiling. I never played that DLC again.... I don't have infinite time that the DLC seems to demand.

DoubleTake

Oct 25, 2017
People mistakenly equal Bloodborne's thematic "perfection" with its overall game quality. The total presentation of its victorian Lovecraft setting is pulled off almost flawlessly but otherwise
THIS. Bloodbornes is one of the best games of all time in terms of Lore, Themes, atmosphere and world building. Everything in the game fits together like a puzzle piece with a bit of room for interpretation.

I think many who love the game feel this subconsciously but cant really articulate why that is mostly because they dont take the time to dive into the story From created and explore its meaning. Hell the fact that a game can elicit that response even though the intricacies remain hidden is a testament to their design sensibilities.

In that regard Bloodborne is a perfect game, for me. And the only other games that comes close to it are Silent Hill 2 and Dark Souls 1.

In terms of game/systems design, there are a few questionable decisions like: Not allowing players to respawns enemies by sitting at lamps, or Blood Vial farming, and occasionally shaky performance. None of which bothered me too much since the game was such a blast to play in spite these "shortcomings".

Also Trick weapons are still some of the coolest designs ever in a game.

I just bought a PS4 and BB two weeks ago after listening to the hype for years and uh, y'all fuckin' tripping.

Every boss is a giant dog and its inferior to DkS3 in almost every regard. I feel like the Victorian setting is squandered on a dreary Lovecraftian snoozefest when it could be something more. I told some friends that I guess I was expecting Bram Stoker's Dracula: The Video Game or something. I guess that's on me.

I feel seriously misled by the hype. Ah well, at least I can play Resogun now.

You didnt even get 4 hours into the game did you?

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of the Wild and Hollow Knight come to mind for this generation. Im sure there are plenty of ones through the years but im too lazy to list them. I love Bloodborne but there are plenty of other games of that quality.

IsThatHP

Oct 31, 2017
THIS. Bloodbornes is one of the best games of all time in terms of Lore, Themes, atmosphere and world building. Everything in the game fits together like a puzzle piece with a bit of room for interpretation.

I think many who love the game feel this subconsciously but cant really articulate why that is mostly because they dont take the time to dive into the story From created and explore its meaning. Hell the fact that a game can elicit that response even though the intricacies remain hidden is a testament to their design sensibilities.

In that regard Bloodborne is a perfect game, for me. And the only other games that comes close to it are Silent Hill 2 and Dark Souls 1.

In terms of game/systems design, there are a few questionable decisions like: Not allowing players to respawns enemies by sitting at lamps, or Blood Vial farming, and occasionally shaky performance. None of which bothered me too much since the game was such a blast to play in spite these "shortcomings".

Also Trick weapons are still some of the coolest designs ever in a game.

You didnt even get 4 hours into the game did you?

The last boss I killed was the shadow of yarnham, the first non dog boss after fighting bone dog, blood dog, nun dog and lightning dog.

Mad_Rhetoric

Banned
May 7, 2019
never understood the hyperbolic obsession with this game, played it and thought is was a real slog personally.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
it never ceases to amaze me how a game that looks like a fan made hack of a From game is so loved, not only is average at best, but also the worst From game I have played since Kings Field.

To each his own, I guess.

Canas Renvall

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Resident Evil 4 is a perfect game. Perfectly balanced, amazing gunplay, horrible monsters that never stop being introduced so there's something new around every corner, excellently-crafted boss fights, everything about playing it feels amazing and that feeling never goes away.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
it never ceases to amaze me how a game that looks like a fan made hack of a From game is so loved, not only is average at best, but also the worst From game I have played since Kings Field.

To each his own, I guess.

giphy.gif

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
It will stand the test of time certainly better than the GOAT media darling Witcher 3

Witcher 3 is more of a consumer/average user darling than even a media darling so I doubt that.

When looking at the amount of reviews and how high its rated, Witcher 3 is probably the most highly rated game in Steam history. Witcher 3 on metacritic user scores is the highest rated game they have on record as well. https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/userscore/all/all/filtered?sort=desc

Leplutorius

Oct 28, 2017
For me the soulsborne games have effectively killed other games in terms of replayability. I'm currently in Ng+ of almost all of them despite the fact that I have other games lurking around to be played.
And it all started with Bloodborne being available on PS+.

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Bloodborne has chalice dungeons, Super Metroid is more perfect. Sorry, it doesn't meet your criteria of being as perfect. :(

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The vial system makes the beginning much easier for newcomers compared to the flask system, as you can have the maximum amount right from the start. I had some issues in DS3 with reaching the next shortcut/bonfire before depleting the supply of handful flasks.

True, but on the other hand, newcomers are more likely to find themselves completely out of blood vials after facing a particularly difficult boss and have to resort to farming, which wasn't an issue with Estus.

Chalice dungeons were meant to be played while proceeding in the main game. Even the early ones posed a challenge, if you started them when you got access to the first after beating BSB. The later ones weren't unfairly difficult, more a test of patience, even the notorious Defiled one. Personally, I enjoyed their roguelikeness.

I believe the repetitive design of the CDs caused a lot of players to ignore them until the end of their playthrough. I can certainly imagine a lot of people trying them out soon after beating the BSB (since Gehrman recommends seeking out the Holy Chalice) and then realizing after going through a couple of layers just how samey they feel, and then thinking, "Well, I just save this until later/I'll just wait until I'm done with the main story," by which point they're incredibly overleveled for most of the dungeons yet still have to trudge through them to obtain the ritual materials in order to access the actually interesting dungeons.

And I would say there's a difference between encouraging player patience and awareness and merely inducing frustration because certain bosses can consistently one-shot the player when their health is arbitrarily halved.

To my knowledge, you can make a pretty OP Bloodtinge and Arcade builds with gems. The latter is the only trait that improves beyond level 50.

You can, but at least in the case of Arcane, it requires pretty heavy farming in the Chalice Dungeons. Arcane gems are near-worthless until you're near the end of the main game, or they may not even fit your weapon. An example to illustrate the latter: I made a pure Arcane character who used the threaded cane (best fit the roleplay). I quite literally didn't level up anything except ARC until I got that stat to level 70, so my regular damage was of course piss-poor. I was hoping instead to make use of Arcane scaling on my trick weapon by equipping an appropriate gem, but the first guaranteed Arcane gem you can get (Fire) is crescent-shaped ... and the threaded cane doesn't have any gem slots of that shape. I had to wait until I reached the poison pool at the bottom of Forbidden Woods - nearly halfway through the game - before I could pick up an Arcane gem that was actually usable for my weapon, and at that point, one gem at 10.5% doesn't make a whole lot of difference.

Beyond that, there are so different gem effects like poison (fast or slow), reduced stamina cost, etc. that are completely inferior to simply stacking damage increasing gems. Like, I remember putting three slow-poison gems on my Blade of Mercy to see if I could proc the poison and I still ended up killing enemies before the effect would even trigger, it was ridiculous. I don't think the upgrade systems in the Dark Souls games are without issue, but they certainly allowed for more interesting and more effective experimentation and roleplaying than in Bloodborne.

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
I understand liking the game, Phantom Thief, but it's got a couple of widely acknowledged flaws, so I'm surprised you're even entertaining calling it a perfect game:

- vials and consumables generally being annoying to manage
- chalice dungeons being bland and unbalanced
- performance, especially at launch
- areas such as Mensis
(you even mention the last two in your OP!)

I would add that Gascoigne's boss arena is a bit janky with the graves strewn about haphazardly, but many will disagree on that.

"Perfect" is a strong word.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Calling Bloodborne perfect without even playing the DLC? The game wasn't even finished until The Old Hunters came out; despite being subtle on the surface the stuff in it took it from one of my least favourite "Souls" games (which still makes it one of my favourite games ever) to my favourite of them.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Probably some Mario games. For PC fans imo Unreal Tournament and UT 2004, Civ IV, Age of Empires II, HEROES MOTHAFUCKIN III.
Heroes of Might & Magic III is very close to perfect. A few small balance tweaks and patching the couple of remaining bugs is all you'd need. It's outrageously good.

Props to the people repping Heroes of Might & Magic 3. Fantastic game that I go back to all the time. I can't really comment on Bloodborne since I haven't played it, just watched people play.

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
The bloodborne worship is something I'll never understand. Yeah it's a great game and all but yall need to relax.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
For me, personally, the only game that is more perfect than Bloodborne is BOTW.

Not that either game is perfect on an objective level, but from a subjective viewpoint, they both just resonated with me so much that it so easy to see past their flaws.

I once read a corny quote somewhere that I think applies here: "We learn to love not by finding the perfect game, but by learning to see an imperfect game perfectly."

Brix

Oct 25, 2017
Yes Bloodborne is perfect to me. A true masterpiece. I still play it every year along side TLOU.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
People, dark Souls 2 > bloodborne (gameplay wise and I'm not even kidding). Level design wise , bloodborne is king.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne is Miyazaki's Magnum opus

I stumbled upon this video today

Greatness

There are other "Perfect" games like RE4 - TLOU

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Can you explain what you mean by gameplay in this case?
I mostly remember ds2 having terrible hitboxes when I think about gameplay.
This is all personal opinion , but to me Dark Souls 2 is more enjoyable to play for me and has way more replayability then BB. BB has way better level design and a more interesting world , but at the end of the day , gameplay is more important to me and dark souls 2 has more bang for your buck.