• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you experience joycon drift?

• I own an OG Switch, never experienced drift

Votes: 402 42.6%
  • I own an OG Switch and experienced joycon drift

Votes: 526 55.7%
  • I own a Switch Lite and don't have Lite problems

Votes: 12 1.3%
  • I own a Switch Lite and experience Joycon drift

Votes: 4 0.4%

• Total voters

fireflame

Oct 27, 2017
I have been reading opinions that joycon issues were serious and I have the feeling I read at least one thread every day here related to Joycon drifting.The Ring of Death cost 1 billion to Microsoft, are Joycon issues something of that scope? Some say joycon problems is overblown and that there are no issues 99.9? of time.
The reason, why I am asking, is that if I were to get a Switch, returning it to be repaired would be difficult for me because I have no driving license and the place where you post boxes is a bit far from home .Iwas wondering if the issue would be gone with the revision.
Despite the numerous issues I read, I have not seen major statements from the CEO of NOJ or NOA.
The fact the problem appears to have remained with Lite doesn't make things look encouraging, as for those who own a lite it means returning the whole console.

TimPV3

Oct 30, 2017
If warranty repair is that much of a concern, I probably wouldn't chance buying anything

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
I hear the Switch revision has some slightly altered joycons but i don't know if those are any better.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
Nintendo doesn't do major statements. Your Switch could literally set your house on fire, you'll never see a response like Microsoft with the RRoD.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's pretty bad, and the important thing to note is that a loooot of these come from extended use over a certain period (mine was just around 6 months). There's no way to tell if you're affected right out the gate.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
I take care of my consoles and devices. I get mocked for how much I clean my screens and stuff. Had a switch for about 5 months before the left joycon started drifting.
My daughter uses it too but she's very careful with it too.(She's 14) We don't lose our temper when playing and get rough or anything either.

It's hard to prove this kind of stuff, but if it can happen to us, it can happen to anyone.

BaconHat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can't speak for others, but mine at least have not had any drifting, or if it did i did not notice any.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
I have been reading opinions that joycon issues were serious and I have the feeling I read at least one thread every day here related to Joycon drifting.The Ring of Death cost 1 billion to Microsoft, are Joycon issues something of that scope? Some say joycon problems is overblown and that there are no issues 99.9? of time.
The reason, why I am asking, is that if I were to get a Switch, returning it to be repaired would be difficult for me because I have no driving license and the place where you post boxes is a bit far from home .Iwas wondering if the issue would be gone with the revision.
Despite the numerous issues I read, I have not seen major statements from the CEO of NOJ or NOA.
The fact the problem appears to have remained with Lite doesn't make things look encouraging, as for those who own a lite it means returning the whole console.

Absolutely not worth the risk unless you buy backup controllers like the Daemon or D-pad handheld mode controllers, or a pro controller for TV mode. I find the HORI stuff to not drift compared to the Nintendo ones and they're ultra cheap to replace

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
When I was the only one using the Switch I never had a problem.

But once I shared it with the kids they trashed the joy cons very quickly. Mario Party is the perfect game seemingly to destroy controllers.

It sucks but for me at least Nintendo fixed all of my controllers and hopefully my family is more gentle on them going forward.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
I have not had any drift.

I did have to buy a new left joycon but that was because the ZL button stopped working.

Tandemo

Oct 28, 2017
Anecdotal but,

I've had 3 sets of joycon since launch

Heavy user, big video game gatherings at mines every weekend

Zero drift. Weird reading all these threads.
I almost feel like I'm missing out 😅

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
It's a design flaw with how they've made all the sticks for the Switch line. They're not going to say anything officially because then all of the success they've had from Switch sales becomes a resupply nightmare, and even worse now with the Lite being the whole unit.

Its fucked. Nintendo hasn't deserved the reputation of hardware quality since the Gamecube and GBA really, considering all the DS screen problems.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I know that since day 1 my right Joycon loosely fits on my switch, my right Joycon desyncs with my switch constantly, and USB controllers barely work. The Switch is single handedly the worst quality of hardware I've ever experienced personally.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Joy-Con drift is 100% guaranteed to happen to every Joy-Con eventually, given enough use. It's a design flaw, not a manufacturing defect. The parts will wear out over time.

In my case, it took 1 year of relatively heavy daily usage for my first Joy-Cons to begin to drift. Not everyone will necessarily experience it because not everyone will use their controllers enough to wreck the parts, especially if you use the Pro Controller most of the time.

Master Chuuster

GamingBolt.com
Verified
Dec 14, 2017
I can only tell you that I've gone through two pairs because of drift. Don't know how widespread it actually is and how much of it is exaggeration, but it's definitely a problem, that much is undeniable.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No there's no "objective data" and it's hard to get an accurate gauge from people here because everyone has their agenda. Obviously it's a problem with how quickly it can happen for some people (within 6 months or so) but at the same time I've had other controllers drift and it's something you have to eventually deal with when something has moving parts, it will fail at some point. It's too early to comment on the Lite though as issues stated so far have not been drift issues.

Just as a useless addition my launch Switch which I have played a lot with the joycons (well over a 1000 hours) does not have drift.

Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, Numerous accumulated infractions
People will always be very vocal about stuff like this.
Comments like ''this is my 4th pair of joycons all with the same issue'' make me think you guys are rich and don't really care about taking care of your stuff.

My launch joycons are 100% functional and my PS4 slim bought 2 years ago is silent as fuck. Go figure.

Deleted member 28461

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have two sets of joycons that both drift. Got one repaired, but my backup is in a shell I bought on Amazon so I don't think it qualifies.

My SO's Switch doesn't seem to have any issues. It's a roll of the dice.

People that outright deny that joycons drift are the climate change deniers of the gaming world. Or maybe flat earthers.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
I've had drift problems develop on almost every controller I've ever had. It's terrible in all cases. I'm no switch 'fan' but I think every company should get shit over it.

Oct 27, 2017
My launch Joycons are fine. I've even got some back up sticks for them if they ever do start drifting.

It's obviously a real issue, but I can't figure out why it might happen to what seems like half of all JoyCons.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
People will always be very vocal about stuff like this.
Comments like ''this is my 4th pair of joycons all with the same issue'' make me think you guys are rich and don't really care about taking care of your stuff.

My launch joycons are 100% functional and my PS4 slim bought 2 years ago is silent as fuck. Go figure.

I take care of my electronics pretty well. Got plenty of controllers that I used twice as long as the Switch's and yet my joycon is the only one to crap out on me. Luck of the draw.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
The joycons have been far and away the worst controllers I've owned in terms of reliability. Honestly, ignoring the drift, they're pretty great, but with two left and now a right one drifting HARD it's really tough to recommend anybody buy joycons. Some games are completely unplayable with my bad ones - I still have to send them in for repairs. Whether the Lite actually suffers from the issue I think is too early to tell, but I wouldn't risk it.
Supposedly doing the repair yourself shouldn't be too tough or expensive even with a Lite, so if you're willing to risk that it's otherwise a great system.

Oct 26, 2017
Start a poll and ask how many people with a Switch have been affected.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I've had my Switch from launch, and I've never had any drift issues.

However, I do usually play docked with a Pro Controller.

professor_t

Oct 27, 2017
Anecdotal but,

I've had 3 sets of joycon since launch

Heavy user, big video game gatherings at mines every weekend

Zero drift. Weird reading all these threads.
I almost feel like I'm missing out 😅
You're not. I don't even use my Switch that much and two joycons have become defective. It's really irritating, but I'm going on to see if I can get the latest one repaired for free.

Emerald Hawk

Dec 12, 2017
New Jersey
One data point: since the launch of the switch lite, Nintendo's support chat has been unavailable every time I check it at https://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/contact . Calling the phone number doesn't work either.

I sent in one of my joycons for repair over 5 weeks ago and it's still listed as "Due in" on their status page. This was a brand new joycon that I sent in for a bluetooth antenna issue. I'm starting to get a little annoyed. I'm wondering if they are getting overwhelmed because of how widespread the drift issue is combined with the switch lite launch.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Do you have a PS4, OP? If so, then get an 8bitdo adapter and use your DS4 on the Switch, it's muuuuuuuuch better than using the crappy Joycons. If you're able to spend some more money, then I'd suggest going for that new 8bitdo controller. I'm getting that one next month. Of course, this only applies if you're going to play in docked mode, if you're one of those handheld mode only people, well, I'm sorry for you OP.

logan_cadfgs

Oct 28, 2017
My left joycon is starting to get a tiny little inkling of drift once in a blue moon.

BUT. I'm comfortable with taking apart small electronics, and have the tools to disassemble the joycon housing to do my own repairs. Replacement joycon sticks are readily available online, so that's what I'll eventually do when the drifting gets too bad. To me, the few dollars-per-stick is worth not having to mail away for repairs.

If this doesn't fit your scenario, then I'd hold off. You could also get a Pro controller or something to use instead of the joycons, but keep in mind you'd be forfeiting half the appeal of the Switch.

(Also - Keep in mind, I have a regular-ass Switch, so I just have to disassemble to joycons. Disassembling the Switch Lite would be a whole different can of worms, and there's significantly less documentation as to how to do so.)

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
It is absolutely worth buying. Drift doesn't render the console unplayable.

Depending on the game it can.

My favorite game to play on the system, Stardew Valley, whenever any menu/inventory screen is open, it literally moved hard and fast up/leftish direction and makes it damn near impossible to navigate to what you want. It felt like there was someone else with a controller constantly pulling the controller in another direction, no amount of calibration or anything made it usable.

Last edited:

Mario Bilo

trying to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2018
If you really want the switch buy it. If this issue happens get replacement Joycons from Hori as opposed to Nintendo.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I'll tell you this. I've gone through 3 pairs of Joy-cons, 2 of which had to be sent in for repairs. The Purolator guy knew immediately what I was there for because it was a small Nintendo package(this was after the announcement that repairs were free).

My girlfriend's little brother who also owns a Switch went through 2 pairs, one of which also had drift and needed to be sent in. We went to a different Purolator and even there they knew immediately what the package was for as soon as they saw Nintendo's address.

So yeah. 3 sets of Joy-cons sent in because of drift and 2 different Purolator locations that immediately knew we were sending stuff in for repairs. For them to know, it goes without saying that it has to be a pretty widespread issue.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
A thing to keep in mind is that not all drifting problems are the result of the "joycon drift" and just a faulty stick after extended use, which can happen to every console actually.

Software also has its issues: for example my partner whenever he plays Fortnite the character randomly drifts to the left when doing nothing. Even with the recent Hori/Daemon controllers that he got yesterday, issue is solved my closing the game and reopening it.

Joycon drift is a real problem which prompted NoA to fix them for free, but not every issue is around joycons drifting is.

Switch is a great hardware, but this issue is not something that will happen day one. If you're really worried about it get a regular/Pro controller or cheaper alternatives so that whenever the problem happens (if it happens) you can continue playing and send them back whenever you're able to.