• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
mogster7777

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
If you want to include PS2, PSP and DS as well, then there's just a stupid amount of awesome JRPGs they never brought over (especially if you're like me and a big SRPG fan).

If you like Fire Emblem, you can check out Tear Ring Saga on PS1 that does have a fan-translation, and is by its original creator (Shouzou Kaga, who left after Thracia 776). It's essentially an unnamed FE sequel, and there was a lengthy lawsuit regarding it (which Kaga eventually won).

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Front Mission 4 and 5 on PS2 also have fan translations (both are good, but 5 is better).
Tear Ring Saga looks neat. Thanks.

Speaking of which, are there any other fan translated JRPG's, ARPG, SRPG's on PS1? There doesn't seem to be many compared to SNES

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Since people already listed a ton of great ps1 ones and some are talking from others systems I want to give some mention to one that I always been interested in but never had time to play:

latest

images

The El Dorado Gate (or is it Eldorado?) series by Capcom.

Seriously you have a seven(!) volume 2d rpg by Capcom, with character design by Yoshitaka Amano exclusively released on the Dreamcast. Like even if they are just ok games (tho I heard good things) I still want to play them at some point, the whole thing just seems really cool.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame - although perhaps an understandable one given the complexities involved - that most translation ROM hacking is still based in the NES/SNES era. Although we're not looking at titles as high profile as the franchise entries on the SNES in particular that never came out in the West (FF V, Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean etc.), there are plenty of things that it would be nice to see over here.

Looking at PS1, the ones I'd like to see translated (even if I wouldn't necessarily play them) would be:

London Spirit Detective Agency (London Seirei Tanteidan) - mentioned a couple of times already in this thread, this is a quaint little RPG set in a sort-of steampunk London. It's all plucky kids attacking monsters with yo-yos etc. but it's quite jolly nonetheless.
Mermaid's Stigma (Ningyo no Rakuin) - a very straightforward battle-after-battle SRPG but notable for being based on the Cthulhu mythos.
Eithea - okay, so this isn't a great game, but it's a beautiful one. A relatively early dating-sim-RPG hybrid about a bunch of high schoolers transported into a fantasy world to save the day etc. etc. but it's got particularly gorgeous 2D art.
Khamrai - a late Namco title with an almost incomprehensible, vaguely automatic battle system and a deeply weird dual protagonist story that's a little like Breath of Fire 4 (one character is a hero, the other is distinctly villainous).
Planet Laika - bonkers quasi-RPG (although it's really more of a graphic adventure) where you play as a dog-headed astronaut and the battle system involves reflecting enemy's projectiles back at them with a floating, oscillating orb thing.

My holy grails for translation, if I'm honest, are the Namco PS2 titles that didn't make it West - the three 2D Tales titles and both the Seven Project titles (Seven: Molmorth's Cavalry and Venus and Braves). One of the great mysteries of the past few years has been discovering that Seven had a mobile version released and translated into English (SEVEN: The Thousand Year War) but at the point I discovered this it seems to have vanished completely from iTunes. Did anyone ever play this? Does it really exist?

preta

Oct 25, 2017
Is Live a Live any good? I know it got fan translated but never made its way here.

003.jpg
It's excellent.

One of the great mysteries of the past few years has been discovering that Seven had a mobile version released and translated into English (SEVEN: The Thousand Year War) but at the point I discovered this it seems to have vanished completely from iTunes. Did anyone ever play this? Does it really exist?
From a cursory search it seems like it had a restrictive energy/microtransaction system added in.

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From a cursory search it seems like it had a restrictive energy/microtransaction system added in.

Unsurprising; it appears to have released around the same time as Bamco's microtransaction-riddled port of Tales of Phantasia. Ah, the good old days of stupid energy systems being the only irritating business model to worry about, before gacha gambling infested everything...

Regardless, the fact that it existed in English is what I find puzzling. Why was it translated? Why was its release almost completely invisible? It's is a game from a franchise with absolutely no other English language visibility.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I REALLY want to play London Seirei Tanteidan, a PS1 detective RPG ;_;

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

37716-ingame-London-Seirei-Tanteidan.jpg

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
Shachou Eiyuuden
A SCE developed JRPG based on a wuxia novel. It very much feels of the same era as Legend of Dragoon, but not quite as high budget. Again, not exceptional gameplay-wise, but it's a ridiculously underused setting:

SCPS-45510.jpg

shachou-4.jpg
Ridiculously underused setting is right. It's actually a JRPG adaptation of The Legend of Condor Heroes, which is basically the Lord of Rings equivalent of Chinese fantasy novels in terms of scope and popularity. Not sure what even led to its development and not sure if something like that could happen again.

Keke094

Oct 31, 2017
here are some of it
- Popolocrois Monogatari 1, Poporogue, Popolocrois Monogatari 2 (its sony title RPG that was big rival for Wild Arms and Arc The Lad in Japan, Japan Studio has them due of Sugar & Rockets inc was with them, and also right management IP was given to epics and original author they still in partnership with sony)
- Neorude, Neorude 2, Neorude: Kizamareta Monshou (its now part of SEGA)
- Gunparade march (developed by alfa system, sadly we only get its officially licensed in english for anime version and manga long ago)
- Linda Cube Again
- Groove Adventure Rave: Mikan no Hiseki & Yuukyuu no Kizuna (its based on manga series by hiro mashima which is known for fairy tail, sadly his title was part of konami, and latest game is become a pachinko)
- Mitsumete knight / R , its dating sim with rpg (Developed by RED most well known for Sakura Wars and Tengai Makyou)
- Blue Breaker: Ken yori mo Hohoemi o

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
does that have a fan translation? i liked the graphics
Nope. The only Flight-Plan SRPG that's in English is Eternal Poison on PS2. The game has great designs (and a worthwhile story), but hasn't held up in terms of the rest of the visuals:

39-EP-00200.jpg

649883-eternal-poison-playstation-2-screenshot-battle-menu-the-main.jpg

Are there any fan translated/untranslated DS and PS2 RPG's too?
Too many to list when it comes to untranslated ones honestly (I'm finding new things I want to play weekly, and my backlog is enormous in terms of games I'm already pretty sure I'd love). Both of those systems are just insane in terms of library depth. A couple of cool DS things are fan translated, like the MonolithSoft ARPG Soma Bringer, Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem, 7th Dragon, and the SaGa 2 and 3 remakes.

This channel is quite funny (imo) and has turned me onto some cool games, like the Atlus DS Atelier clone:

And this random cutesy DS RPG developed by... SNK!?

Last edited:

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
There is some real shit in this thread. I wonder what the total percentage is of all JRPGs that got released in English.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Damn yeah this is a great thread. Reading it definitely made me feel for the Moon Remix guys though...

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
Might be Velldeselba Senki?

1643296-cover.png

I haven't played it, but it's on my list to get around to eventually.
Oh wow, this is a bit of an older post now but since I didn't see this thread before, like a few others have already said, damn that is an awesome cover image.
Would check that out if it were to get a fan translation.

Those Dragon Shadow Spell in-game screenshots you posted look great too!

Shachou Eiyuuden
A SCE developed JRPG based on a wuxia novel. It very much feels of the same era as Legend of Dragoon, but not quite as high budget. Again, not exceptional gameplay-wise, but it's a ridiculously underused setting:

SCPS-45510.jpg

shachou-4.jpg
Never even heard of this in the least before. The cover and 2D art for the various portraits (above and in one of the videos online showing a bit of the game) look really cool.

That London Seirei Tanteidan looks great too if it were to ever get fan translated.
Like others have said, great little thread.

Barrel Cannon

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Bumping this cause I just bought black matrix for Sega Saturn and learned that there's no translation. I should have done my research beforehand. Does anyone know if the game is playable without extensive Japanese knowledge and whether there's any rough script or plot summary anywhere. I'd rather be spoiled and just play the game and to try to follow along however I can.

alwicker22

Jul 24, 2021
Hey, if there's anyone still on this thread. I want to localize any japanese games that never made it to the states. If anyone has any requests please let me know and I'll make a video. So far I can only play old PS1 and PS2 from Japan.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, if there's anyone still on this thread. I want to localize any japanese games that never made it to the states. If anyone has any requests please let me know and I'll make a video. So far I can only play old PS1 and PS2 from Japan.

That is super awesome of you to do.

This Twitter thread has so many cool, interesting games. I hope to play some of them one day. There are definitely some Japan-only RPGs in there that might pique your interest.