• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

myzhi

Oct 27, 2017
I use Xbox Elite controller with wireless adapter. Then, I got use to the PlayStation controller due PS4 main console for COD. Now, I switch to DualShock 4 controller + wireless adapter (jap version from Amazon). All functions works with recent games, like Star Wars Fallen Order and COD Modern Warefare.

Geeko

Oct 27, 2017
San Jose, CA
I've been using the same wired 360 controller for what, 9 years now? The thing still works great... well there's the Dpad.... but I don't use that too often anyway. Besides having to take it apart to clean it a few time when buttons started sticking, I've had no problems.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
It's had lightbar control for years iirc. There are a few things DS4Windows can do that SI can't, but I find Steam's UI and the variety of options you have for the controls to be vastly superior. Things like long button presses (+ controlling exactly what 'long' means), double-presses, UI overlays (huge) - it's far more extensive than DS4Windows. DS4W is essential for games outside Steam, but if you're fine with launching games from Steam there's really nothing that touches it's breadth of options.

I finally got in the GoG Galaxy 2.0 beta and while I like it quite a bit, the lack of a universal xinput emulator kind of puts a whole damper on it when I'm switching clients when I'm using a DS4, Steam Input for those of us who play predominantly with a gamepad is just invaluable imo.
If I relied solely on Steam Big Picture Mode, I'd use the Steam route for sure. But I use Launchbox for the Big Picture Mode themes, so I route everything through that directly; and having to go through Launchbox to go through Steam would be far too much work, lol.

Dude, get off of Windows 7. Windows 10 makes everything easier controller wise. Shit, Windows 8 made everything easier controller wise.

Windows 10 + Start 10/Classic Shell if you want the old start menu back. No one should be using Windows 7.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Sure, the Logitech f710 (and its wired equivalents, the f510/f310) is a borderline classic.

logitech-f710-wireless-gamepad-500x500w.jpg

Even has a few functions that you wont even find on any xbox controller. such as the ability to swap the D-pad and left stick input on the fly, which i personally at-least find really useful in some games. Way cheaper too without any loss of quality.

And yes, it fully supports X-input.

It's hard to tell from just an image, but those buttons and triggers look very "clacky". And the shape of those grips leaves much to be desired.

I tend to use a PS4 pad but yeah Xbox controller is the way to go for ease/most compatibility

I only occasionally use my S controller, and when I do, it's exclusively wired now. Had a ridiculous issue with RE2 upon release where it would cause massive stuttering and gigantic frame rate drops into the single digits and I had not had an issue like that in over a decade up to that point. Couldn't figure out what the hell was going on until I was halfway through the game. Turned out it was something going on with the bluetooth in the controller since I haven't had a single issue with bluetooth and my DS4. Wired, the controller works fine (which feels like going backwards though).

I had really strange performance issues when using the XB1 controller via bluetooth. It's why if you want to use an XB1 controller that I suggest just plugging it in.

Yep. Although in my case, I purchased what I thought was an actual Microsoft controller, but it seems like it was a third party that was making licensed controllers that looked and felt identical. Ended up getting it for $30 when the controllers were all on sale, so I thought it was the same as the rest, but I'm not sure that it is.

I also sometimes have issues even when it's plugged in. In the last game I played with it, I would randomly get the LT inputs whenever I would press LB, even though I wasn't pressing hard enough to actually activate the triggers.

Last edited:

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Steam Controller is the best (not in build quality, but in function, accuracy, comfort), I can't game without it, I don't want to ever go back to dual analog again on PC. Screw that. Also Steam Input + Steam controller spoiled me, I really with some company that's not attached to steam made an alternative. Touch pad for right face area, haptic feedback to simulate roller ball, gyro, and a game profiller that's fast, doesn't rely on overlay (steam), and whatever else they feel like throwing in.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Is it worth getting a Steam controller in 2019?

I've been playing more and more of my PC games on my TV cause it's comfier, but analogue stick ain't cutting it in some games.

Rbk_3

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is the most ridiculous thread I have seen in a while. There are several great options.

I've been playing more and more of my PC games on my TV cause it's comfier, but analogue stick ain't cutting it in some games.
If you're willing to take the time to set it up properly. It can be a little tedious.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017

If you can find one, on amazon they are price gouged to kingdom come. I'm sure Valve still sell it on steam maybe, also you may want to include an extended warranty. To get used to the touch pad, just play a 3d game with a open area, something that may need you to aim and give you a lot of freedom to do simple to detailed things. I used Saints Row 4. Adjusting sensitivity is a important function because it molds the controller around your comfort, and there are a ton of adjustable functions with the Steam Controller + Steam Input.

It's unfortunate that valve seem to have given up on it, now they make VR stuff, also with how the build quality of Steam Controller is, I wonder how spotty this VR stuff they sell is. Maybe they just didn't are to invest in the Steam Controller like they may do with the VR stuff. I have to open mine and fix stuff pretty often. I won't buy another until a new better one comes along, or if my current one is dead dead. Valve wouldn't repair mine even when I wanted to pay because I bought it at Amazon (not a reseller but directly from Amazon) and not through them.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would recommend the following:

If you only want to buy one controller:

Xbox One Controller / Dualshock 4 - Whichever you get is up to personal preference, I happen to like both for different reasons. The Xbox One controller is slightly more convenient because it supports more games out of the box, with the DS4 you need to run a small utility for compatibility. It's not a big deal, but it is a small hassle.

Honorable mention to the Wii U Pro Controller with the same caveat as the Dualshock 4.

Cautious recommendation for the Steam Controller which has very interesting features but a shape and layout that may alienate some and is not ideal for certain genres of games, namely classic/2D ones that require precise and fast inputs and benefit from a tactile D-Pad.

If you play a lot of arcade-style games:

Neo Geo Controller - this is sold under various different names. Originally it was a PS3/PC controller, then it was released again as Neo Geo Mini Controller. If you can get the original controller, it has a more click arcade stick which feels more satisfying but if it's not available the Neo Geo Mini Controller will suffice.

If you play a lot of 2D games/classic console games:

Sega Saturn Controller - the Sega Saturn controller remains up until this day one of the best controllers ever made. It is extremely ergonomic, it has enough buttons for the vast majority of titles. It has one of the best D-Pads ever to grace a controller and its extra buttons make it a great choice both for most 2D Classic games as well as fighting games.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
If you can find one, on amazon they are price gouged to kingdom come. I'm sure Valve still sell it on steam maybe, also you may want to include an extended warranty. To get used to the touch pad, just play a 3d game with a open area, something that may need you to aim and give you a lot of freedom to do simple to detailed things. I used Saints Row 4. Adjusting sensitivity is a important function because it molds the controller around your comfort, and there are a ton of adjustable functions with the Steam Controller + Steam Input.

It's unfortunate that valve seem to have given up on it, now they make VR stuff, also with how the build quality of Steam Controller is, I wonder how spotty this VR stuff they sell is. Maybe they just didn't are to invest in the Steam Controller like they may do with the VR stuff. I have to open mine and fix stuff pretty often. I won't buy another until a new better one comes along, or if my current one is dead dead. Valve wouldn't repair mine even when I wanted to pay because I bought it at Amazon (not a reseller but directly from Amazon) and not through them.
GameStop sells pre-owned ones for $35. I had one for a bit to try it, and aside from coming without its packaging it was like new.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
You can create a DS4 profile and select "Use Dinput only" in the options which should present the controller to Windwos as a native DS4. There are games though where they will only recognize the DS4 when it's plugged in via USB and not bluetooth, DS4 or not. AFAIK 'native' DS4 over bluetooth also does not support rumble.

Best method for games to use I found is when they just have an option for you to select the type of button prompts you want regardless of the API, thankfully more games are doing that.
Yeah, I found that, and have only been using USB thus far (I didn't need wi-fi for where this PC is.) Yet it didn't seem to fix the remote play issue where it won't go past the PS button press. I'm probably the only person on earth having this issue, tbh. But I really agree that games should just let you pick the prompts, considering how my brain defaults to those or Nintendo layout long before Xbox layout (which is also making Jedi real fun since it is reading it as an Xbox controller)

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I found that, and have only been using USB thus far (I didn't need wi-fi for where this PC is.) Yet it didn't seem to fix the remote play issue where it won't go past the PS button press. I'm probably the only person on earth having this issue, tbh. But I really agree that games should just let you pick the prompts, considering how my brain defaults to those or Nintendo layout long before Xbox layout (which is also making Jedi real fun since it is reading it as an Xbox controller)
I always wondered how people struggled with this. I could play three games in a row on all three controllers and not have an issue with the face buttons. I have more of an issue going from game to game in the same genre than I do with hopping between controllers.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
GameStop sells pre-owned ones for $35. I had one for a bit to try it, and aside from coming without its packaging it was like new.
Oh wow, I might have to check that out. Thanks for the info. I can at least get replacement parts out of it. My Y button's membrane sticks down for a bit and pops back up (no trash or liquids, the membrane is just messed up, likely from hitting Y a certain amount of times).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

It's really neat as a replacement for a traditional controller, and it does enable a whole lot of games that previously weren't controller-compatible to be played with a controller. Gyro can be mapped to mouse, so when playing shooters that support simultaneous mouse and controller input, you can get precise with your aim, and can even designate a button (like left trigger) which activates gyro when held, and deactivates gyro when not held.

Moreover, the customization is deep as hell. You can make most games control however you want. You can get weird with it if you want. Macros, button combos, radial and list menus... whatever you want. (As an example, when I replayed FFXII on PC, I made it so that clicking the right stick brought up a radial menu that let me trigger various Cheat Engine functions.)

And it has tons of awesome use cases that aren't immediately obvious. Like, I played Metroid Prime Trilogy with my Steam Controller, using the right touch-pad as both my jump button and as my 'Wii Remote pointer' - allowing me to take advantage of Metroid Prime Trilogy's key control gimmick on a controller, which doesn't feel natural on a stick, but which feels perfect on a touchpad. I mapped plasma beam rapid-fire to the right trigger, and charge beam to the right trigger when fully depressed (the triggers click when fully depressed like the GC controller's do). Left bumper fired missiles, right bumper triggered morph ball mode. Left stick click would shake the Wii Remote for bomb jumping. Hold left grip pad for changing visors, right grip pad for changing beams. It was dope.

Last edited:

BeI

Dec 9, 2017

If you're playing on a TV, I feel like the Steam controller's track pad + gyro mouse movement tend to "scale" worse than joysticks as a display's input lag / response time increases. Which is to say that I think a Steam controller feels better on a PC monitor, but a dual stick controller feels better on a TV. And dual stick will likely be comfier too.

jayvo

Oct 27, 2017
Good controllers that are easily supported on PC? In 2019? How about every Xbox controller? I know that's been mentioned like 200 times but Jesus Christ OP.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Btw just mentioning it for anyone who doesn't know, since you'd never guess from how actual PS4 games' controls are designed: the PS4 controller has very good gyro functions and can be mapped through the steam input menu.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
What the fuck even is this thread. Even before steam supported the DS4 I just configured ds4 windows to launch in the background when windows boots. Never had any problems, connected via bluetooth. And on the couch its great cuz the track pad works as a mouse. And the xbox one wireless dongle works flawless for me too. I've not had an issue in years, DS4, xbox one, and 360 controllers are all great.

horkrux

Oct 27, 2017
The only warning I have for Xbox One is that there's some kind of compatibility issue with Win10 drivers sometimes that causes mouse lag and random beeping. To my knowledge, there's no fix at all for this. I only bring this up because I have this problem. But for games it works perfectly fine, as long as you aren't using the mouse too much. And setup is a breeze.

Oh so that's why this happened?
Shit was always scary af

Escaflow

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
OP living in a world where Xbox controller doesn't exist.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
BTW for DS4 on PC owners, reminded to check nexusmods.com for button graphics mods for games that don't have native DS4 icons, you might be surprised how many there are now. I use ones for Bayonetta, Prey, and they even provided one for Arkham Knight which had native PS4 controller support at launch, but was only compatible with the first gen of DS4's and didn't work with the second gen (the ones where the triggers don't disintegrate after 2 months). This mod fixes that, albeit you'll need to use DS4/Steam input's Xinput emulation with it, however as mentioned rumble doesn't work over bluetooth for the DS4 without an xinput emulation layer so this is the best solution for DS4 wireless regardless.

tobes231

Prophet of Truth
Jul 10, 2019
Australia
Escaflow I love how OP hasn't really acknowledged the 95% of people recommending an Xbox controller (it's absolutely fine if they don't like it mind you, but it would be cool if they actually said that, considering people are trying to help).

jerk

Nov 6, 2017
Funnily enough the Xbox one controller I have always has trouble connecting to my PC. (I think it's a battery thing. Connects one time with fully charged batteries sometimes but then won't even turn on.) DS4 with DS4windows has never let me down. The 8bitdo snes style controllers are really good too but more of a hassle than a PS4 controller.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
OP: What's a good Bluetooth controller for PC? Connecting a DS4 practically requires a PhD.
Everyone: The Xbox One works great! /thread
OP: But I don't want a dongle hanging from this Windows 7 laptop.
Everyone: ...
OP: Aight, imma build a PC to get this DS4 to work.

Oct 26, 2017
as someone who hates the Xbox One controller (the LB and RB buttons feel horrible to me), I've been finding the 8 Bit Do SN30+ Pro controller to be incredible

569053-8bitdo-sn30-pro.jpg

If you don't like centered analog sticks though I could see it being frustrating, but I've used it for everything from Forza to The Outer Worlds and can't complain.
This is what I use too. I also got the cell phone clip and use Steam streaming for some hand held PC gaming in bed. It's the best.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
You don't even need DS4Windows for non steam games. There's a steam setting for how windows sees the controller when no steam game is running that by default is blank. Map it how you want though and you just need steam running and your DS4 will work just fine for Epic/Origin/emulator/whatever.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
OP: What's a good Bluetooth controller for PC? Connecting a DS4 practically requires a PhD.
Everyone: The Xbox One works great! /thread
OP: But I don't want a dongle hanging from this Windows 7 laptop.
Everyone: ...
OP: Aight, imma build a PC to get this DS4 to work.

Right? What a bizarro thread. Pays absolutely no attention to the people he asked for help, insists on weird random answers independent of whatever people suggest, and won't be up front with all the things he's dealing with.

Slick Butter

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to tell from just an image, but those buttons and triggers look very "clacky". And the shape of those grips leaves much to be desired.
I have an F710. It's really great, surprisingly. Only problem is I broke a bumper but i managed to get the plastic to stay in the right place, so it still works mostly fine. Anyway, you're right on the grips, slightly cramped for longer fingers/big hands, but it works.

Not sure what you mean by clacky, but the bumpers do make a decently loud clack type of noise but are really nice to press. The buttons and d-pad feel GREAT, not mushy like those on the DS4, very distinct presses. The triggers are not very good. They sit high and take a good amount of force compared to other controllers. Maybe to compensate for the small range of motion they have? Sticks feel a little funky, take more force to push from the center, then feel quite loose after that.

Overall, it's pretty great, especially for stuff focused on d-pad and face button inputs, but far from perfect.

Alex Connolly

Oct 27, 2017
Kagoshima, Japan
Bought a SteelSeries Stratus Duo on a whim, to eventually replace my aging 360 controller. Comes with its own 2.5ghz dongle. Works really well, feels good in the hands, with the only caveat being no rumble.

Deleted member 11214

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uh...

The Elite Series 2 is plug and play and it's the best controller ever made. OG Elite, the second best, also a PC controller. Vanilla Xbox One controller, 360 controller...

I'm confused.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Old OSes like W7 could be a bit finicky with certain controller setups. I remember my old computer that had W8.1 installed was giving me BSODs constantly a couple of minutes in. I could not figure out the issue and i later traced the error code to my wireless xbox one dongle, i could never figure out a fix for it. I later got a Windows 10 computer and it's been smooth sailing with that same dongle.