• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
as someone who hates the Xbox One controller (the LB and RB buttons feel horrible to me), I've been finding the 8 Bit Do SN30+ Pro controller to be incredible

569053-8bitdo-sn30-pro.jpg

If you don't like centered analog sticks though I could see it being frustrating, but I've used it for everything from Forza to The Outer Worlds and can't complain.

Just got this one but in all black. It's probably the best 3rd party controller I've ever bought. Works on switch, PC, and Android too

empo

Jan 27, 2018
That's true, adapter isn't required if your computer has bluetooth, but I find adapter far more reliable than bluetooth connection and it supports all of controller's features. Trigger rumble and connecting headphones to controller do not work over bluetooth!
Not sure about headphones but impulse triggers most definitely works. Tried it in Forza Horizon 4 and F1 2019 (Steam)

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
as someone who hates the Xbox One controller (the LB and RB buttons feel horrible to me), I've been finding the 8 Bit Do SN30+ Pro controller to be incredible

If you don't like centered analog sticks though I could see it being frustrating, but I've used it for everything from Forza to The Outer Worlds and can't complain.
Feels like butter in your hands.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Sure, the Logitech f710 (and its wired equivalents, the f510/f310) is a borderline classic.

logitech-f710-wireless-gamepad-500x500w.jpg

Even has a few functions that you wont even find on any xbox controller. such as the ability to swap the D-pad and left stick input on the fly, which i personally at-least find really useful in some games. Way cheaper too without any loss of quality.

And yes, it fully supports X-input.

These guys are underrated, though it sucks that the F510 had I guess reliability issues in its bumper design causing them to kill it. I would love to get one of the F710s. It's a real shame that the XBox controllers don't have good d-pads or at least have bad placement of them, but that's what a Retro-Bit Saturn controller is for.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best things MS has done for PC gaming has been creating a de-facto standard controller.

I remember the dark times before Xinput.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
XB1 controller, DS4, Steam Controller, the rift controllers are much better than the PS moves for VR.

jediyoshi

Oct 25, 2017
I always hear about people using their PS3 or PS4 controllers on their PC, but always mentioning that they have to install custom, fan-made drivers in order to support that.
Then your information is 5 years too late, tons of games natively support the DS4 these days, even with proper button prompts, even games on the Windows store. It's as plug and play as you get.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Steam supports the Dualshock 4 and Dualshock 3. Xbox controllers work right out the box. And, my fave:

9d0416496cb14411afe7ca82d88c9eb0_Large.png

Same.

Steam Controller is amazing if it clicks with you / you're willing to stick with it for a few weeks to get used to its capabilities.
If you are very much a PC user, keen on flexibility, customisation etc, and want velocity based aim / camera control / ability to map tons of things to your controller - this is the absolute best thing out there.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
The best Xbox Elite 2, the easiest to work with Xbox One, the good alternative though not as easy to use with everything DualShock 4, everything else is hard to find new legit like 360 or is garbage. I did not like the steam controller at all.

Akita One

Oct 30, 2017
You have a PC that's old enough to have Windows 7...and you have been on this message board since its beginning, and have over a thousand posts, and you don't know that Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers are now the "standard" Windows controllers? Literally the #1 reason PC gaming has blown up over the past decade?

giphy.gif

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
You have a PC that's old enough to have Windows 7...and you have been on this message board since its beginning, and have over a thousand posts, and you don't know that Xbox 360/Xbox One controllers are now the "standard" Windows controllers? Literally the #1 reason PC gaming has blown up over the past decade?

giphy.gif

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Steam's controller support isn't some hacky fan made driver, it's a compatibility layer that works pretty much perfectly.

IvanSlavkov

Oct 27, 2017
Bulgaria
I am using a DS4 for PC but currently I'm looking at the Razer Raiju series and in particular the Ultimate version. Tried the controller at a friend and was pleasantly surprised how well and sturdy it felt.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
I switched from a DS3 to a DS4 this year and it works natively on Steam via bluetooth now so it's pretty cool.
I had to send back the controller after 2 months because the analog sticks weren't working properly, but the new one they sent me seems to work fine.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what you're talking about. You can use pretty much ANY controller and it'll work through Steam Input.

Use your favorite console controller if that's what you want. Use a Sega Saturn controller if you want something specifically for 2D titles. Or use the Steam controller, which is arguably the best modern controller available. You can use anything.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
DS4Windows was working great for me...except it broke the Remote Play app working with my DS4. So I'm going to get a Xbox One controller, begrudgingly (not that I hate the controller I just own a ton of DualShocks!)

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up the dongle myself because I was having Bluetooth interference playing Dying Light. Probably could have trouble shooted it, but since the adapter gives the full controller feature set it felt easier just to buy one.

You don't even need this with controllers since the S.

However I picked up the dongle myself because I was having Bluetooth interference playing Dying Light with a BT dongle. Probably could have trouble shooted it, but since the adapter gives the full controller feature set it felt easier just to buy one.

daegan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you using DS4Windows? Steam supports it natively.
I was trying to play Control with it and it wouldn't recognize it at all (despite having DS4 input labels) and try googling that to see if anyone had that issue and see what an unusable mess that results page is due to the games title

and now I'm using it for Jedi on Origin

Raiden

Nov 6, 2017
The best controller of all time happens to support everything that releases now and has released in the last nine years...

Xbox controller man.

MXG

Oct 29, 2018
1.Xbox controller
2. Xbox one Elite Controller
3. Logitech F710
4. Dualshock 4 Controller
Buy any one of them and you are good to go.

senj

Nov 6, 2017
Wii U Pro with the Mayflash adapter, Switch Pro with a Magic-NS, a 360 controller with the wireless adapter, or the Xbox one or Xbox One Elite controllers with the wireless adapter are all excellent.

Notably, all of these use the Xinput driver. As far as Windows is concerned in every case you're using an officially supported Xbox controller.

Last edited:

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
Xbone controller is fine but it has quite much input lag over bluetooth.

DS4 is better but for some games you have to switch to wired to get it working.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Why are you using DS4Windows? Steam supports it natively.
Not everyone runs all of their games through Steam, especially if they use emulators. Plus, at least from my experimentation, DS4Windows allows for more macro triggers, plus you get to customize the lights! Steam doesn't let you customize the lights!

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

This also has gyro!

Been using this for switch and pc. Feels so goddamn good. Dpad is baller too!

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
DS4 is the best controller for PC imo, but you will need additional software for many non-Steam games, and, or if you need PS button prompts displayed in-game for whatever reason (Xbox button prompts are pretty standard for PC games). Unfortunately, I've had shitty luck with the build quality on Xbox controllers so I just avoid those as much as I'd like to use them.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Not everyone runs all of their games through Steam, especially if they use emulators. Plus, at least from my experimentation, DS4Windows allows for more macro triggers, plus you get to customize the lights! Steam doesn't let you customize the lights!
You can customize the light with Steam, I turned it off day one. As for emulators, they should work wired, it's just via bluetooth that it needs extra help. To me losing the extra features of being recognized as a DS4 instead of a 360 pad isn't worth it.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017

Steam lets you customize the lights. You can also run emulators through Steam (also great for streaming to a tv).