• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
51t5tJ1aiTL._AC_.jpg

Boom, done.
Don't even need that, just plug it in.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Xbox One controller works easily and seamlessly with Bluetooth (assuming you buy a new one and not a used launch model controller).

I had really strange performance issues when using the XB1 controller via bluetooth. It's why if you want to use an XB1 controller that I suggest just plugging it in.

Neophy

Dec 6, 2018
Hold down the share button and the PS button on the controller and that'll put it into Bluetooth pairing mode - I've synced the controller up to my laptop wirelessly before but I just use a usb cable now cause it's so much quicker. Steam supports the controller natively though, didn't have to do any setup whatsoever.
This, just press and hold the share button first, then press and hold the ps button until the ds4 light starts blipping, then go to Bluetooth settings in windows an look for "wireless controller" no ping required. Also dunno if you need to update or download extra software for Windows 7, must people may be in Windows 10 which may have better driver support. Also, check that you have ds4 support activated in steam.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
They can pry my wired 360 controller from my cold dead hands.

I still like it more than the XB1 version.

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
I tend to use a PS4 pad but yeah Xbox controller is the way to go for ease/most compatibility

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I use the 8bitdo SF30pro over bluetooth and I find it to be great. Is my go-to controller for any pc game that needs one now.

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Xbox controller just works
Also you can avoid drivers and the pain that causes with PS4 by buying the USB adapter officially from Sony, works well for me

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
If you want what's easiest, just get an X1 controller; it kinda wins by default, not that it's the best PC controller though. DS4 has the extras, but not the native support in non-steam games (although there is plenty of ways to make it work).

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Is this a joke thread? Xbox won that fight and is pretty much the standard on PC. I would also say Microsoft Sidewinders were "worth a damn" a long time ago too, before Xbox existed.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
I had really strange performance issues when using the XB1 controller via bluetooth. It's why if you want to use an XB1 controller that I suggest just plugging it in.

That's likely some sort of driver and/or hardware issue. I've never had issues with using one wirelessly except for when I was messing around with a cheaply-made BT receiver that I got for free.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
I mean you have an MS product (Xbox gamepad) being used on an MS product (Windows) unless you are one of the few that game on Linux/Mac. So I would say the Xbox one is in some ways a decent pc controller

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017
as someone who hates the Xbox One controller (the LB and RB buttons feel horrible to me), I've been finding the 8 Bit Do SN30+ Pro controller to be incredible

569053-8bitdo-sn30-pro.jpg

If you don't like centered analog sticks though I could see it being frustrating, but I've used it for everything from Forza to The Outer Worlds and can't complain.

Best controller I have ever used.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Xbox One or Xbox 360 controllers are the best for PC, native driver support and most games, even a lot of the old ones support.

empo

Jan 27, 2018
Used a wired 360 for a very long time and now I'm on a Xbox One via bluetooth. I think they are among the best controllers and them just working (with most games) with the correct on screen prompts is a big bonus for me. I did get a 8bitdo recently just to have a decent d-pad controller that still is XInput, don't wanna bother with Steam Input for non-Steam games.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Elite Controller Series 2 >> Elite Controller 1 >>>> Xbox One controller >> X360 > DS4

Is probably my personal ranking.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else experience problems with Tekken 7 on PC with the XB1 controller? I noticed it often registers one press of the D-pad as two presses.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
as someone who hates the Xbox One controller (the LB and RB buttons feel horrible to me), I've been finding the 8 Bit Do SN30+ Pro controller to be incredible

569053-8bitdo-sn30-pro.jpg

If you don't like centered analog sticks though I could see it being frustrating, but I've used it for everything from Forza to The Outer Worlds and can't complain.

This controller has an Xinput based mode too, which means that Windows will see it ass an Xbox Controller. Giving you all the benefits that come with that.

JoJoBae

Oct 25, 2017
Layton, UT
Switch Xbox or PS4 controllers are all working perfectly in Steam without any extra setup. Dunno what to tell you OP.

Hell, my Genesis USB pads worked in it after it prompted me to map the buttons.

Kaeden

Oct 25, 2017
US
It boggles the mind that in 2019, someone on Era doesn't know about an Xbox controller being the go-to solution for PC gaming. Like how do you honestly not know that? I really don't get it. And it seems OP still has yet to even acknowledge it here in the thread, they seem determined to get their PS solution working instead.

Horo

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
It boggles the mind that in 2019, someone on Era doesn't know about an Xbox controller being the go-to solution for PC gaming. Like how do you honestly not know that? I really don't get it. And it seems OP still has yet to even acknowledge it here in the thread, they seem determined to get their PS solution working instead.

Maybe he just doesn't like how it feels and wants an alternative?

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
whatyearisit.jpg

But yeah been rocking Xbox controllers since like 2008, the native drivers make it a breeze

GymWolf86

Banned
Nov 10, 2018
I use a nacon 2 pro and it works like a charme with everything, epic launcher, steam, etc.

Not the best pad, but still good enough.

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
I mean, just pick literally any controller in existence today. For example, Xbox One or PS controllers?

AvernOffset

May 6, 2018
The basic Xbox One controller is fine if you're ok with it.

I'm currently using an Xbox One Elite Series 2, which is excellent (though I needed the wireless adapter. Thing refused to connect using bluetooth).

The Switch Pro controller is nice, but I rely on Steam Input to get it working, so games that you can't run through Steam are a no-go.

8bit-do's SN30 Pro+ is quite good as well, though I resent it for having analog triggers.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Xbone controller or Wired 360 pad is the way to go.

DS4 doesn't always match up with the button prompts even when it works, and the battery life is way shorter.

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing in particular, hence the maybe. But i know quite a few people who don't like xbox controllers and would rather use an alternative and he might just be one of them.

I mean you're not wrong but the OP throws out a bunch of out of date generalizations about PC controllers sucking ass and then when presented with the easiest solution possible, ignores all those and only responds to a few talking about PS controllers

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need this with the controllers made since the One S -- they just use Bluetooth now.
That's true, adapter isn't required if your computer has bluetooth, but I find adapter far more reliable than bluetooth connection and it supports all of controller's features. Trigger rumble and connecting headphones to controller do not work over bluetooth!

LQX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whatever you do, do not get an XBox controller like everyone is suggesting.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Xbox 360/One controllers should be 100% plug-and-play in all games.
There is no need for extra software to use a DualShock 4 with Steam games, as Steam supports it natively - though you may have to enable DS4 support in the controller config. Outside of Steam, DS4 support varies.

My PC does not even see the DS4 in the devices list how the fuck are you connecting it?
In my experience the DualShock 4 USB port is extremely fragile and often breaks in a way that allows it to charge but not send data. Or they will be very picky about cables they will charge with when that cable still works with anything else.
If your PC can't see it at all, try changing the cable, but it could be that the port is broken.

You can connect via Bluetooth if you pair it by holding down Share and the PS button until the light bar starts flashing.
I've never tried pairing it with something as old as Windows 7 though. It should work as a DirectInput device via USB but maybe it has issues pairing via Bluetooth. Or it's possible that your computer's Bluetooth hardware is too old.

Has anyone else experience problems with Tekken 7 on PC with the XB1 controller? I noticed it often registers one press of the D-pad as two presses.
I don't have the game, but try disabling Steam Input for it and see if that fixes the problem.
No need to disable Steam Input entirely - you can turn it off on a per-game basis via the overlay.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Steam supports the Dualshock 4 and Dualshock 3. Xbox controllers work right out the box. And, my fave:

9d0416496cb14411afe7ca82d88c9eb0_Large.png

Oct 27, 2017

Not with Tekken 7, but I had a similar problem with (I think) Skyrim, where I'd get double inputs and it turned out it was being detected as both a standard XInput controller and a Steam Input controller at the same time. Disabling Steam Input for that game (it's somewhere in the right-click properties menu) solved it for me.