• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dog Weissman

Banned
Sep 12, 2020
Climate change? Rich fossil fuel assholes. Gun violence? Rich gun lobbying assholes. Housing crisis? You better believe rich assholes.

Opioid epidemic? Rich assholes. Rising right wing extremism? Rich assholes. Flaccid response to existential threat of right wing extremists? Rich assholes.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Racism isn't caused by rich assholes. You can be as poor as dirt and still hate or fear people who are different from you. Rich assholes definitely exacerbate it, though.

War95

Banned
Feb 17, 2021
This is one of the topics if I express the best solution to this problem i will be ban and probably arrested but in short, yes OP, thats the core problem of todays society

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sure. Most of the big issues come from capitalism and rich assholes though.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
A few of those weren't caused by rich assholes. Rich assholes might be what's keeping them from being fixed though, depending on the issue.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Rich people have more agency and influence is what it boils down to.

But I don't think rich people are entirely responsible for the tribalism that impacts our politics that prevents the overwhelming masses from voting in certain ways. The wealthy absolutely pray upon the poor by fanning the flames but they're not the source. They're providing a product that the masses want.

If the poor and middle classes were united then there wouldn't be anything the wealthy could do.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
While the industry likes to be in the way of finding a solution to these problems, a lot of them such as climate change are hardly caused by them

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
Xenophobia, the whole 'that tribe over there sucks and might kill us all if we don't watch out for them' seems to be human nature going back a very long way, certainly thousands of years back beyond antiquity. You can be sure as shit it's been exploited by powerful, wealthy and influential community leaders in order to distract from problems at home for just as long though. I guess it takes such toxic leadership to whip bog-standard fear and ignorance of another civilisation up into violent hatred enough to pour resources into launching an organised war of conquest over it.

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
Racism, selfishness, the desire to create in and out groups, etc., are all core human problems that are exacerbated by the existence of rich assholes and the systems that allow them to flourish, but they are not caused by the existence of rich assholes. I suppose you could argue they're the root of higher level, more abstract social problems, like wealth inequality, but underlying that problem is the antisocial behavior that leads people to be excessively selfish.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't necessarily say climate change was caused by the rich. Industrialization in general turned it into an issue. You can't blame the rich for chasing progress before we even knew the side affects decades down the line. Rich assholes have fucked over any attempts to reverse course though.

Also, prejudice/hate can spread amongst any class/level of wealth.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
I wouldn't necessarily say climate change was caused by the rich. Industrialization in general turned it into an issue. You can't blame the rich for chasing progress before we even knew the side affects decades down the line. Rich assholes have fucked over any attempts to reverse course though.

Also, prejudice/hate can spread amongst any class/level of wealth.
Jevons paradox explains how capitalism and resource extraction/overproduction has accelerated environmental degradation. Rich assholes and the economic structure pushes for more and more no matter how efficient our technology gets.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Racism is not caused by human nature. What the fuck?? Race is a man-made concept in recent history. Gimme a source.
Human desire to categorize is very basic knowledge. Unless you think we are perfect at it then generalizations and discrimination will always ensue. Racism is only one of the forms taken by our natural flaws.
centerstat.org

The Human Desire to Categorize - CenterStat

Whether colors in the rainbow, notes in a musical scale, types of coffee, or country versus pop singers, there is a natural human desire to…

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Human desire to categorize is very basic knowledge. Unless you think we are perfect at it then generalizations and discrimination will always ensue. Racism is only one of the forms taken by our natural flaws.
centerstat.org

Whether colors in the rainbow, notes in a musical scale, types of coffee, or country versus pop singers, there is a natural human desire to…
Your source doesn't prove that racism is "caused by human nature" at all. Classifying something as different is not equal to treating someone different poorly or with malice. I disagree with you, and I think it's horrific to believe racism is natural. I think where you're coming from relates more closely to xenophobia than racism:
In public discourse, but often within psychological literature, racism is regularly portrayed as a natural tendency rooted in human nature. We often hear how racism is the natural consequence of our tendency to fear strangers, or the other.

However, this assumption is false because it conflates xenophobia with acts of racism. Xenophobia is the human tendency to be fearful of strangers and seems to be rooted in human nature. However, the question becomes how we classify people as strangers. This changes over time. Therefore, the classification of people as strangers is culturally constructed, with racism being one of its many forms.
See the article for more:
www.psychologytoday.com

Xenophobia May Be Natural. Racism Is Not.

Racism is a recently invented classification system that triggers xenophobia.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Caused by and exacerbated by are important distinctions that will probably be lost in this thread.

Racism (and other bigotry) is caused by ignorance and lack of empathy. It is exacerbated by a media driven by the rich.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
centerstat.org

I'm unable to read the newspaper article this links to, but my first thought is that it's a fundamental mistake to think that habits of categorization/differentiation/familiarization lead to racism as a feature of human nature. Or at the very least, the line from one to the other is not straight.

username.ymt

Nov 15, 2017
"The big Green make the bluecollar white, blame the black and the brown...it's all color/collargraded white noise"

Jevity.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Racism isn't caused by rich assholes. You can be as poor as dirt and still hate or fear people who are different from you. Rich assholes definitely exacerbate it, though.

Yep. Rich assholes are certainly pushing it though as much as possible. Poor and middle class people being mad at other poor and middle class people instead of the rich is exactly what they want.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few of those weren't caused by rich assholes. Rich assholes might be what's keeping them from being fixed though, depending on the issue.

This. Putting them as the cause is incredibly simplistic thinking.

But yes, they do exacerbate things.

Racism is not caused by human nature. What the fuck?? Race is a man-made concept in recent history. Gimme a source.

Racism is literally a form of in-group/out-group thinking and biases. Which exists in nature as well.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Social problems have numerous causes. You can't just shift the blame to any one group. You need to collectively admit to being part of certain problems before you can come up with solutions, and that means plenty of compromise on everyone's end. The problem is getting everyone to accept those compromises.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Racism as we know it today literally was a man-made construct devised specifically to prevent poor whites and non-white people from teaming up against the rich, and in general as a justification for the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Acting as if it is simply the natural order of things is telling as fuck.

In general though, a lot of the problems in the OP are multifaceted, but in general rich people just make them all worse.

Fudgepuppy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

There's a reason racism surges when people get poor and anxious about their livelihoods.

You can still hate people of a different color, but it goes from a culture war thing, to an actual war when rich assholes come in and destroy the "economy"

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
I love Saturdays here because they always give me a rabbit hole to go down. Now I get to spend the day figuring out how to compare causation with exacerbation as they occur through time. We're in the zone now baby.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Racism, tribalism, sexism. Things inherent to human nature that we need to get over as a species to continue evolving.

But yeah, eat the rich.

bruhaha

Banned
Jun 13, 2018
Blaming rich people for problems that much of society participates in is not really helpful towards a solution. Maybe it makes you feel better to vent, but it in no way should make rich people a scapegoat and make you feel like it's not all of us's problem to solve.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Blaming rich people for problems that much of society participates in is not really helpful towards a solution. Maybe it makes you feel better to vent, but it in no way should make rich people a scapegoat and make you feel like it's not all of us's problem to solve.

Calling out a source to a problem does have the benefit of drawing ire to it in order to possibly move the greature culture to threaten or dissolve that source.

Threatening the rich does actually have the real world effect of causing ESG (environmental, social, and governance) risks to become important to the rich as they recognize the social and governance risk to their profits from inequality.

Being vocally angry does have some effect as long as it seems like a credible threat.

darkhunger

Oct 28, 2017
USA
Rich assholes promote societal problems but rich people are also the ones promoting and lobbying for and paying for a lot of ESG or DEI issues. Just like there are plenty of compassionate poor people but also plenty of poor assholes that are actually the ones executing on the problems that the rich instigate. The key is not to divide people by or place blame on class or race or any other indicators but to do one's best to work within your means to promote positive change.

Last edited:

EMT0

Oct 25, 2017
Racism as we know it today literally was a man-made construct devised specifically to prevent poor whites and non-white people from teaming up against the rich, and in general as a justification for the Transatlantic Slave Trade. Acting as if it is simply the natural order of things is telling as fuck.

In general though, a lot of the problems in the OP are multifaceted, but in general rich people just make them all worse.

I don't think anyone is claiming it's the natural order of things. And I'd also say that the majority of people in this thread that think that racism is a naturally occurring phenomenon also agree with your first point. I'd say it's that xenophobia, tribalism, discrimination, and racism are all words that blend together in people's minds nowadays and are easy fail to distinguish from each other.

It doesn't help that racism has entered everyday use and to the overwhelming majority of the populace, the nuance has been lost. There is little understanding of what makes racism so much more insidious, it's history, how it's been institutionalized, and what the distinction between what was before and what was after it permeated the entire world.

Racism was built upon the human tendency towards tribalism, xenophobia, and stereotyping. None of these are things unique to humans, we absolutely see these things in nature. What's happening is a failure to distinguish these base tendencies which can be observed and explained as evolutionary pressures on animals, and racism, the human construct built upon human manifestations of these same traits.

I don't see the point of presuming the worst of people when most everyone on here is within spitting distance of each other on the political spectrum. It really just seems like a nuance thing where one party is missing a piece of the puzzle. A thorough, nuanced understanding of racism and why there's a special word for it is not something everyone is going to run right into on the internet, even in left aligned spaces.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
regardless of if they cause them, they are the reason why we don't get solutions. the wealthy are an obstacle to the betterment of humanity in general

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Put 10 people in a room and they'll find a way to hate each other pretty quickly

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I guess it depends on how you define a "major social problem". I don't think toxic attitudes in the gaming community is really directly caused by rich assholes, but it's also peanuts compared to like, climate change and racism.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
in past century there was multiple regimes created by poor revolutionaries that murdered and also engaged genocide against poor people and ethnic minorities

so not not really, as also written by other posters in areas like racism

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
I think the question you're more looking for is: Are there any major social problems that aren't made worse by rich assholes?

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
At the very least you can argue that issues of discrimination based on identity are exploited by the ruling classes in order to protect their wealth. Like, even in the most generous discussion of why racism, sexism, xenophobia, etc. etc. all exist this remains true.

Feb 16, 2018
yeah

religious/racial supremacists & otherization

smaller crimes / acts of violence

lots of non-wealthy societies throughout history had major poblems, especially for women & minorities