• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Jun 5, 2018
I'm not talking about inspiration from another game say the cover mechanics that were rife within the mid 2000's or the occasional Easter egg, so much as to use a film example how the Paul Blart: Mall Cop film script was allegedly a stolen copy of observe and report's based on the timing of the two films and what some crew have said.

It's not always going to be possible to verify these types of stories that said if there is any you know of please share, for whatever reason I can't think of any video game ones off the top of my head so apologise

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
There's lots of games that have stolen assets from other games. Usually shovelware. Limbo of the Lost is probably the most famous of such cases.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Flappy Bird took those pipes straight outta the mushroom kingdom.

Jk, I think they just look the same.

Oct 29, 2017
I think I remember an expose post on reddit showing how Overwatch straight up copied early Paladin prototype character designs (mechanics and the designs themselves), meanwhile the opposite was thought to be true for a while. Can't remember if it was due to an ex-employee who left the project and went to Blizzard or something.

Apr 23, 2019
I remember some devs claiming that Shadow of Mordor used code or animations from Assassin's Creed 2, but I don't remember if anything came of it.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US
Does the story of Atari/Tengen creating their own version of the NES lockout chip to bypass Nintendo count?

Atari attempted to determine the function and behavior of the 10NES chip by other means to reverse engineer the chip, including by monitoring the chip's digital communication and by attempting to analyze the underlying circuitry via chemically stripping layers from the chip, but neither provided the required details. In 1988, Atari had its lawyers obtain the source code for the 10NES from the Copyright Office, by falsely alleging that a copy of the code was needed in a copyright infringement action. Atari used this copy to develop its own replica of the 10NES, the Rabbit, which generated signals functionally indistinguishable from the 10NES.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Naughty Dog being naughty.

NDplag02.png

NDPlag01.jpg

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Does movie - game count? Uncharted 3 plane looks pretty similar to Captain America First Avenger at the end. They both were released in 2011.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Limbo of the Lost was almost entirely stolen assets and backgrounds. There was a good thead on NeoGAF about it back before it went to shit (a google says the thread was 14 years ago.....).

Example:
vTO4v0N.jpg

The background is a shop from Oblivion.

EDIT: Quick google to see if there were any youtube vids on it and found this one
www.youtube.com

Limbo of the Lost: The Greatest Bad Game

This Limbo of the Lost journey looks at a game that revels in its sheer existence, along with examining the most famous cases of plagiarism, bizarre puzzles,...

Don't know who they are and not watched the vid yet but if they are a shitheel let me know and I'll remove the link.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
Limbo of the Lost was almost entirely stolen assets and backgrounds. There was a good thead on NeoGAF about it back before it went to shit (a google says the thread was 14 years ago.....).

Example:
vTO4v0N.jpg

The background is a shop from Oblivion.

EDIT: Quick google to see if there were any youtube vids on it and found this one
www.youtube.com

Limbo of the Lost: The Greatest Bad Game

This Limbo of the Lost journey looks at a game that revels in its sheer existence, along with examining the most famous cases of plagiarism, bizarre puzzles,...

Don't know who they are and not watched the vid yet but if they are a shitheel let me know and I'll remove the link.

HOLY SHIT! I forgot all about this little nugget of history from the old place. Goddamn how time flies...

Plinkerton

Nov 4, 2017

dskzero

Oct 30, 2019
There was a minor fuss regarding Genshin Impact and Nier Automata very similar animations, though they might not be stolen but just heavily inspired by Nier:Automata.

It died down rather quickly and I don't play the game so I'm not sure if it remains.

Other than that Bloober team has this notoriety of taking liberal inspiration of other games, using public domain images, and using well known references in their games. It's really up to yourself to say this is plagiarism. This video shows some of it, though it's now dated (the part about the Medium shows a different design of the MC) and I don't agree with some of it, but then again Bloober Team is not a popular dev and people feel very strongly about it.

They do definitely "follow trends" a lot.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Does movie - game count? Uncharted 3 plane looks pretty similar to Captain America First Avenger at the end. They both were released in 2011.

The Uncharted sequence began development years earlier, so this is almost certainly coincidence. They're both pretty standard ways of shooting that action.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kingdom Hearts 1: Monstro goes beyond being an homage to Jabu Jabu from OoT. They literally said "ok this idea of what the inside of a whale looks like is mine now." Especially with the entire player control being pretty much directly descended from OoT.

Xils

Feb 4, 2020
There was a minor fuss regarding Genshin Impact and Nier Automata very similar animations, though they might not be stolen but just heavily inspired by Nier:Automata.

It died down rather quickly and I don't play the game so I'm not sure if it remains.

MHY has been doing something like this since before Genshin and at this point I don't expect them to change.
Honkai's main character's entire moveset is practically just Bayonetta with a different model. At least her later versions moved away from that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
MHY has been doing something like this since before Genshin and at this point I don't expect them to change.
Honkai's main character's entire moveset is practically just Bayonetta with a different model. At least her later versions moved away from that.

It ranges from blatant to kind of similar. That whole game felt derivative to me.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021

The Captain America/Uncharted 3 similarity would mostly be a coincidence (because Uncharted 3 plane scene would need to have started development AT LEAST a year before Captain America movie was out, though probably more).

BUT.

That being said, the Uncharted plane scene took absolutely CLEAR inspirations from an older James Bond movie.

But I would say that it's still more of an inspiration than blatant copying.

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Borderlands 1 change of art style.

The Captain America/Uncharted 3 similarity would mostly be a coincidence (because Uncharted 3 plane scene would need to have started development AT LEAST a year before Captain America movie was out, though probably more).

BUT.

That being said, the Uncharted plane scene took absolutely CLEAR inspirations from an older James Bond movie.

But I would say that it's still more of an inspiration than blatant copying.

Not only that but trailers showed glimpses of that set piece before the Captain America movie premiered.

Jetsun Mila

Apr 7, 2021
Kingdom Hearts 1: Monstro goes beyond being an homage to Jabu Jabu from OoT. They literally said "ok this idea of what the inside of a whale looks like is mine now." Especially with the entire player control being pretty much directly descended from OoT.
Same with Ape Escape 1. Dexters Island is an obvious hommage to Jabu Jabu. Even the doors are in the same style
TQD5EqJ.jpg

and the boss of that level is a tentacle monster
pV3vyTM.jpg