• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I run a very small fry Instagram account for a niche collectible. But it is the 2nd largest account for the subject due to the niche market. I had a company reach out to me asking to promote that they will be selling this product. This was the first time I had ever been contacted about something like this. I looked into them, and they are reputable in the sense of other collectibles they sell. They post very frequently and have a decent customer base. So I admitted to them that I had no idea what to ask for, or how any of this even works. They told me that they do not like to set values, because they dont want to undervalue their partners. Because I had no idea what to ask, I just said I would start off doing it in exchange for the products that I was advertising for them(I honestly think its more than they were wanting to pay me in $ value).

So the first release came that they wanted me to post. It was very sloppy, they ended up posting the product several hours before it was supposed to go live via the product companies rules. They posted another item that they were not even going to get, because it was exclusive to another store. And they just seemed very unorganized. I questioned them on these things, and they just replied apologizing and saying they were unfamiliar with release times. So the first promotion came and went and I did not hear from them since after they helped me set up what they wanted on my account.

Now, I have reached out to them about the next coming release for a product, and crickets. They left my message on seen. Does anyone have experience with these kinds of advertisements? The next release is on Wednesday, I contacted them yesterday about it and nothing. I have their store info and links on my page 24/7. I don't want to immediately burn bridges, but at what point do I just delete all their info off of my page? I don't want to advertise to my follower base a company that I am not sure I fully trust anymore because they wont even get back to me. I am obviously not going to advertise this next product for them if they don't get back to me, but I am unsure of how far to go with completely deleting them off my account.

Kibou

Nov 4, 2017
That's very unprofessional of their part. Also, having their store link on your page 24/7 isn't the norm unless you get an affiliate commission. You're basically promoting them for free. Whenever I've gotten product to promote I just post a picture and maybe an IG Story with the information they provide, that's it. It's very important to get those things in writing from the beginning (you, brand, provide product and/or compensation and I will make x number of pictures and x number of IG Stories while sharing this info).

I'd try one last message: express your uncertainty and that if they don't respond, you'll remove all that info from your profile. Don't feel bad about it, you're protecting your brand and your work. From your post that's more than what they're doing.

ColdSun

Together, we are strangers
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely should not have their store links or other info on your page. Sponsorships will typically net them a post/story where you feature them / the product, nothing more.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
That's very unprofessional of their part. Also, having their store link on your page 24/7 isn't the norm unless you get an affiliate commission. You're basically promoting them for free. Whenever I've gotten product to promote I just post a picture and maybe an IG Story with the information they provide, that's it. It's very important to get those things in writing from the beginning (you, brand, provide product and/or compensation and I will make x number of pictures and x number of IG Stories while sharing this info).

I'd try one last message: express your uncertainty and that if they don't respond, you'll remove all that info from your profile. Don't feel bad about it, you're protecting your brand and your work. From your post that's more than what they're doing.

thanks for the response. And yea, I thought it was kind of weird. They linked me to another one of their partners accounts(who had a larger following that even the store in question) and told me to set it up the same way. So I have their logo and stuff in my story highlights, so its always there. I dont have anything in physical writing, just the messages we sent back and forth. I will send them a message in the morning, and if they dont get back by tomorrow night I will probably just delete any trace of their stuff on my account.

Honestly, I think companies are diving into this specific collectible head first and getting burned. It is not a huge market, and I feel like they arent getting the sales they originally thought they would. The store is very active on instagram, and posted several times after I had messaged them. So its not like they were busy and couldnt respond to me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
You absolutely should not have their store links or other info on your page. Sponsorships will typically net them a post/story where you feature them / the product, nothing more.

It was a story, but they also wanted it highlighted. They had linked me to their other partner accounts beforehand to show me that they were legit. One of them tens of thousands of followers, which is a staggering amount over my tiny account. But it was for a different collectible. So basically they told me to set it up the same way as them.

Also, I have to use one of those link dump websites, like campsite for links as I do not even have the 10k needed to add links to stories.

Kibou

Nov 4, 2017
I dont have anything in physical writing, just the messages we sent back and forth. I will send them a message in the morning, and if they dont get back by tomorrow night I will probably just delete any trace of their stuff on my account

Yeah, messages or an email is fine. I meant something like you confirming what the "exchange" entails. When dealing with sponsorships it's important that both parties understand what each is getting. The brand usually takes care of this but if for some reason they don't I will write "so I'll do this and that and for that you'll provide this and that. Is that correct?" Just in case something isn't clear or if anything happens in the future.

And yeah, unless you're part of some affiliate program or something having their logo in your highlights or anything past what was agreed upon is free promotion for them and you're not getting anything in exchange.

OP
OP
DrScruffleton

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
So I messaged them again this morning bright and early, and no response at all. They have been constantly posting on instagram all day. Posting stuff for sale on their website, making stories, making posts, etc... They didnt even look at this second message. So I have removed the story highlight, the one post I had pertaining to them, and now blocked them. Really weird.

I really just started this account for fun. Its cool I got a decent following, but I didnt start this for money or free shit. Ill probably turn down any future stores like this if they contact me. I will only trust ones that I have absolutely heard of and already have a foot in this collectible game.