• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arcia

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh yeah thought of another one! OFF fits, but more in the sense of the player realizing that the character they are playing as is not the upstanding person they assumed they were.

There are quite a few games that like to use the twist of "the main character never was the good guy to begin with, you just didn't know", but examples of characters starting as genuinely good guys and degrading over time to villains seems rarer for sure.

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
prototype maybe? I don't remember exactly how, but the main dude from the first one is the baddie in the second one.

Tolby

Sep 24, 2019
Eastern Europe
Little Nightmares - Only in the final minutes of the game.

Baroque (Saturn, PS2, Wii) and I'll use a Spoiler tag for this one:
Short version: the antagonist wants you to fix the world that got broken due to some experiments. After regaining your memories you decide to break it even more and have everything rot away. NICE.

Trelova

Banned
Apr 8, 2020
in getting closest to the 'hero slowly being corrupted' premise of this rather than any simple 'choice to be evil' deal or "you were the villain the whole time"

OG God of War Kratos starts a vaguely dickish(and a little bloodthirsty) dude who could genuinely have emotions and be remorseful, not much anger in his heart. except he gets shit on big time with hard betrayals, and tons of manipulative actions, and doesn't take it well at all and starts aiming for revenge. justifiable to start with, at least.

as he keeps being betrayed and fucked up by the gods, he continues getting more and more brutal, where his quest for 'revenge' at some point seems to be getting lost to his basic bloodlust. even enjoying the sheer brutality he inflicts on other gods, tearing them limb from limb in a fashion that's hardly ever necessary or in equivalent retribution to the pain he's seen himself.

the gods themselves aren't 'good guys' by any means, but Kratos through the series becomes a fucking monster of an existence, bringing abject pain and misery to many to somehow compensate for his own pain. 'villian' would be a very easy word to describe him with.

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
The hero doesn't get corrupted into evil but Sorey in Tales of Zestiria goes from a bright eyed over zealous "I'm going to save the world" and "This is awful how could anyone do this!" to a world weary man who just barely can handle the evil around him by the end. You don't pick this up easily except in the side conversations/skits but it really elevated him for me as a protagonist compared to other Tales games.

At the end of the game his sacrifice is as much selfish as selfless if you of it as him finally want to get rid of all the issues plaguing the world that he no longer has the energy to handle

YohandR

Nov 10, 2017
Paris, France
Baten Kaitos, all your quest is to end it all. At the end you try to be good but everything done was to destroy everyone and you didn't know until the last segment of the game.

I remember I was blown away when playing the game for te first time when I was a teenager! Such good memories of this game, I'd buy a remastered version in a heart beat.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
prototype maybe? I don't remember exactly how, but the main dude from the first one is the baddie in the second one.
He was essentially always the villain but started out with memory loss and wanting to do good, help people and stop the infection. After a certain point you learn that he was never actually the person he thought he was and was actually the virus mimicking that person (and that person actually released the virus). Instead of fighting against that or denying it he embraces it fully and decides to fight only for his own survival (which does involve killing certain evil characters and stopping the nuking of Manhattan but he stops caring about innocents and "his" sister).

Of course since it's openworld the player can always be an asshole or nice to others outside of the story.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
The Last of Us actually. What Joel does at the end of the game is selfish and brutal.

This happens at the very end though, so I guess ''slowly'' doesn't really apply.

Oct 27, 2017
I was gonna say the old God of War games but then I remember that you're a villain the entire time and the game hilariously tries to paint you as a sympathetic hero (seriously, everything that happens to Kratos is entirely his fault).

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Also The Last of Us can be seen as sorta this way maybe?
The Last of Us actually. What Joel does at the end of the game is selfish and brutal.
At no point you are a hero, at no point you are a villain.
Being selfish doesn't make you a villain. Most humans (all?) at some point are selfish.
What he did isn't selfish. Did you have a single child and lose him / her ? It is easy to judge.
Shadow of the Colossus

KoToR
Yep and at some point GoW too.

Sky87

Oct 27, 2017
At no point you are a hero, at no point you are a villain.
Being selfish doesn't make you a villain. Most humans (all?) at some point are selfish.
What he did isn't selfish. Did you have a single child and lose him / her ? It is easy to judge.

Yep and at some point GoW too.
She's not his daughter and he chose to doom the human race just to keep someone around who reminds him of his actual daughter. As is said ingame, Ellie would in all likelihood have wanted it anyway.

I guess you got a point of him not being a typical hero to start with though.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
Warcraft 3 has the only "becoming" I can think about.

Others have information hidden from the player, your character is delusional (Spec Ops) or being fooled (SotC?) or it is a sudden action (Joel) or the character was actually always a villain (Kratos, Joel again)

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
Idk these games aren't really about BECOMING villains. More like as the player learns more information, the more dubious the main characters actions are. They aren't necessarily heroes who have an arc that leads to villainy.
Spec Ops is both. The protagonist 100% changes into a villain... but that turn happens about 10 minutes in and it isn't explained to you until the ending.

That said, Spec Ops is one of the best depictions of a player character going off the rails that I've ever experienced. The changes to animation and voice sets was so gradual I didn't notice. Until suddenly I did and it blew my goddamn mind.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Monster Hunter World. You start off thinking you're protecting humanity from the monster threat but throughout the game find out you're just invading their territory and murdering monsters to make hammers out of their faces and cat costumes from their hides.

Cien

Oct 25, 2017
Nier

Once you learn the truth and realize you are murdering innocent people for your own agenda, you only dig your heels in further and continue the rampage, ultimately dooming the human race to extinction

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
Fantasy Zone II (bad ending)
i never played it but the concept of evil opa opa is goddamn hilarious

XiQ3bVx.png

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
Far Cry 3?

As others have said: Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain. You start out on a simple revenge quest, but by the end, you're the baddest mofo around.

You can argue whether Kain is a "villain" or not (Soul Reaver 2 does a lot of pontificating about this), but as of the immediate sequel, Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Kain was definitely the primary antagonist.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Warcraft 3's human campaign.

This is the only one that comes to mind. You start off as a Paladin who are known to be lawful good, you know righteous and shit. Arthas tries to do what is right which is to purge the land of the infection to save the people. In the end he becomes obsessed and over-zealous and it leads to him burning bridges with friends, isolating himself, and continuing to choose the path that leads to him being selfish, cruel, and evil until he eventually just accepts it and becomes a death knight.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Any Grand Strategy game, Total War, Civ, Crusader Kings, you name it.

It always start like this : " Hey neighbor, let's be friends, make an alliance and protect each other from the other big aggressive neighbor. "

And it always end like that : " Hey neighbor ally, sorry but i have to expand and you're in the way, so say hello to my armies and my knife in your back. K thx bye ! "

Woylie

May 9, 2018
surprised no one mentioned ff tactics advance yet Edit: Missed an earlier post that did

it's debatable, but marche wants to destroy the magical fantasy world where most of his friends/family seem to be better off

3c91ef72db4b25e7f7e4a46257e539d0.jpg

Striferser

Oct 28, 2017
Saga Frontier 2 Gustave story
he started as a guy who got banished by his own family due to him having no magic capability. He then rise as a hero using a steel sword to compensate his lack of magic, and become a ruler known as Gustave the steel. Later on his life, he massacre a small cult he believed to be responsible for killing his brother and nephew. That probably put him in villain category, since one of the protagonist even need to run away to avoid getting indiscriminately murdered by his army.

Far Cry 3
Jason started out as someone who just try to survive, to someone drunk with power and given the choice, might murder his friend and brother.

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
wasn't lords of shadow 2 about this? never played it but i think i heard something like that

NDA-Man

Mar 23, 2020

I don't think that counts. The game is up front about you being a shapeshifting mass murderer. Within the first five minutes of gameplay you've caved in a mans skull and devoured him. The intro has Mercer, looking pretty bored, as Blackwatch executes a civilian, then leaping into the fray once they notice him. The point of the game was to give a character who was a legit monster, give him other monsters and a horrible black ops agency to fight (I actually saw a twitter thread on this--the head writer of the game mentioned "Ohey, I made a game about a killer virus decimating new York", a follower said "Weren't you playing as a Badguy", and the writer was "Yes. That was the point"). The entire point of the game is giving the players a sandbox to unleash ridiculous cruelty upon, because they felt that, based on their previous Hulk game, if you give the players a lovingly recreated city, their first impulse would be to smash it (plus the writer's super into the Cthulhu mythos and conspiracy fiction, so shoggoth versus an amoral black ops team is ground he's quite familiar and happy with).

You start off pretty evil, and you're seeking the truth of your stolen memories. The twist here, is that the player isn't really Alex Mercer, the scientist who lost his memories. It's just the horrible virus that rent Alex apart and has a fractured part of his intellect and is using his appearance as a convenience--in other words the exact same thing you've been doing to mooks and passersby this entire game. And the virus is a bit of an improvement on Mercer, in terms of morality.

The sequel has a completely different writing staff. Mercer's kinda gone completely Albert Wesker for reasons, and the new protagonist is just about as monstrous as Mercer was in the first game, they game just sorta wraps a traditional "revenge for my dead wife" narrative around that, whereas the original game was all about the main character being an inhuman monster, and the important humans in the setting having been monstrous in their own way for decades.