• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jadow

Oct 27, 2017
And I am not talking about a morality system like in Mass Effect or Fallout where you can be a total dick from the beggining of the game, I am talking about getting slowly corrupted throughout the events that transpire in the game's story. I honestly have never played a game that portrays a character like this, just games where you can choose to be a total cunt, but nothing really sticks out to me.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canonically? Not sure, but there's probably a lot you could argue from a certain perspective or narrative.

People might say FFTA...

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a hero to villain thing, but Nier Automata does this well, the whole corruption/mental breakdown aspect

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Infamous but only if you want to but I guess that goes against what you said in the OP. lol

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
I haven't seen all of the story routes, but I am will to wager that some of the paths through Tactics Ogre end up like this. The entire game involves walking a tightrope of conflicting goals and grey morality.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Isn't one of the Far Cry games like that? Where you go from just surviving and rescuing your pals to being an actual bringer of chaos? I never finished the game, so I don't know how it concludes.

Stef

Oct 28, 2017
Rome, Italy, Planet Earth
And I am not talking about a morality system like in Mass Effect or Fallout where you can be a total dick from the beggining of the game, I am talking about getting slowly corrupted throughout the events that transpire in the game's story. I honestly have never played a game that portrays a character like this, just games where you can choose to be a total cunt, but nothing really sticks out to me.
Man, this is heavily spoiler territory. °_°

Somehow
Bioshock, even if a bit unwillingly

j3d1j4m13

Feb 24, 2019
Depending on your outlook FE Three Houses can end up like this. Also The Last of Us can be seen as sorta this way maybe?

KmA

Oct 27, 2017
Shadow of the Colossus and Spec Ops: The Line, maybe?

Idk these games aren't really about BECOMING villains. More like as the player learns more information, the more dubious the main characters actions are. They aren't necessarily heroes who have an arc that leads to villainy.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
As mentioned, Spec Ops and SOTC are kinda this. Although maybe not so much starting out as a hero, but learning over the course of the game that you never really were the hero to begin with.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Idk these games aren't really about BECOMING villains. More like as the player learns more information, the more dubious the main characters actions are. They aren't necessarily heroes who have an arc that leads to villainy.
Im pretty sure they both do anyway, but they neednt devolve into mustache twirling villainy to be villains.

The point of a good villain is that they dont think of themselves as villains. Theyre doing what they are doing because they believe it's the right thing to do, and Walker and the Wanderer both do so to the detriment of their own settings.

Gorger

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
At the end of the Baldur's Gate saga you can take up the mantle and become
the literal god of murder.

GameBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
Hellabama
Arguably all of the Soulsborne games. Even if you pick the "good" options the consequences for the world at large are almost always negative.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's rather simplistic but Hibiki in the Last Blade 2 goes from a staunch pacifist to enjoying the killing if you murder everyone she fights against in her route.

You could even kill an old family friend and by that point the only thing she has to say is a cold, "Satisfied, pops?"

It even changes her ending too.

Lunir

May 17, 2018
Mexico
Baten Kaitos, all your quest is to end it all. At the end you try to be good but everything done was to destroy everyone and you didn't know until the last segment of the game.

TheOne

Alt Account
Banned
May 25, 2019
It's not exactly that, but Baten Kaitos has something that makes you go sheeeeeit.

Jun 12, 2018
latest
Warcraftiii-frozen-throne-boxcover.jpg

Mentok

Oct 27, 2017
Spec Ops definitely
An argument can be made for Link's Awakening
I don't know if you're necessarily the villain in DS, but you are definitely dooming the world either way.