• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Whilst browsing the eShop, I came across this:

And while I adore Myst, I've played it a million times. So I was wondering if there was something else that would scratch my itch.

Also, port Riven to Switch.

Thank you for your time.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
I can't think of anything that quite matches Myst, although I believe the The Room and House Of Da Vinci games might possibly scratch that itch. Don't know how well the Switch ports run, however.

Oct 29, 2017
At the moment, that might be the only Myst like game out there. However, I might wait on realMyst. For starters, even on a relatively decent PC, it struggles to run, and I can't imagine how it would run on a switch. This is largely because it's a port of realMyst into Unity, a toolset that Cyan doesn't typically use (their recent projects have all relied on Unreal), and as a result, it's a weirdly buggy mess.

A few months ago a brand new remake of Myst just launched, with timed exclusivity on the Oculus Quest. It will be receiving a PC port at some time in the future and I have to assume console ports. That's because it's a bit more than a standard port of Myst: new level geometry and assets (realMyst and it's variants are based on old art assets ported to new tech, and over time they kinda lost the plot (shiny rock walls anyone?)), leading to a more lived in, natural feeling Myst island, with new areas around linking books. It also has the ability to completely randomize puzzle solutions so if you've played it a million times, it will still feel new. I got physically stuck (as in: couldn't move) on the spiral staircase in Channelwood, but patches have come out since so I bet it's a bit smoother now. The one big downside? No FMV. It's all CG faces that vaguely look like the Apple Memoji stuff. I wrote about it over here.

I need to get back to and finish Riven, but there's good news and bad news on Riven...

Bad news: they lost everything. All source code, video files, audio files, and assets are gone.

Good news: fans are taking care of it. A project called "The Starry Expanse" has been working on a VR/flatscreen "realRiven" remake for a couple of years now, and as a fan project, predictably, it's been...creeping...along...s l o w l y.

Better news: they got bought BY Cyan! Last we heard Cyan was "auditing" their work, and Cyan proper will be working with these fans to get a nice modern version of Riven out. You can check out their blog here but they haven't updated since this time last year. My two cents: Cyan seems to be two teams at the moment: one working on Firmament, their next big project after Obduction did well enough to help keep the lights on, and one working on this new Myst remake. Once work is done on the Myst remake, I have to assume the Myst remake team will hop onto the Starry Expanse project

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
There's the shadowgate remake if you're talking first person adventure games, but it's quite different from myst puzzlewise, and delights in killing you. I love it though lol (I've only played the PC version though)

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
At the moment, that might be the only Myst like game out there. However, I might wait on realMyst. For starters, even on a relatively decent PC, it struggles to run, and I can't imagine how it would run on a switch. This is largely because it's a port of realMyst into Unity, a toolset that Cyan doesn't typically use (their recent projects have all relied on Unreal), and as a result, it's a weirdly buggy mess.

A few months ago a brand new remake of Myst just launched, with timed exclusivity on the Oculus Quest. It will be receiving a PC port at some time in the future and I have to assume console ports. That's because it's a bit more than a standard port of Myst: new level geometry and assets (realMyst and it's variants are based on old art assets ported to new tech, and over time they kinda lost the plot (shiny rock walls anyone?)), leading to a more lived in, natural feeling Myst island, with new areas around linking books. It also has the ability to completely randomize puzzle solutions so if you've played it a million times, it will still feel new. I got physically stuck (as in: couldn't move) on the spiral staircase in Channelwood, but patches have come out since so I bet it's a bit smoother now. The one big downside? No FMV. It's all CG faces that vaguely look like the Apple Memoji stuff. I wrote about it over here.

I need to get back to and finish Riven, but there's good news and bad news on Riven...

Bad news: they lost everything. All source code, video files, audio files, and assets are gone.

Good news: fans are taking care of it. A project called "The Starry Expanse" has been working on a VR/flatscreen "realRiven" remake for a couple of years now, and as a fan project, predictably, it's been...creeping...along...s l o w l y.

Better news: they got bought BY Cyan! Last we heard Cyan was "auditing" their work, and Cyan proper will be working with these fans to get a nice modern version of Riven out. You can check out their blog here but they haven't updated since this time last year. My two cents: Cyan seems to be two teams at the moment: one working on Firmament, their next big project after Obduction did well enough to help keep the lights on, and one working on this new Myst remake. Once work is done on the Myst remake, I have to assume the Myst remake team will hop onto the Starry Expanse project

I had zero interest in VR until I saw Myst. Jesus it's beautiful.

Oct 29, 2017
I had zero interest in VR until I saw Myst. Jesus it's beautiful.
If you can find a deal, and you have a gaming PC, get yourself a VR headset and play through Obduction. It's the first new game from Cyan since Myst V, and the entire thing is playable start to finish in VR. One of those "oh right, yeah, this is the future" kinda deals. Yes, you can play the game on a screen just fine, but being able to pull switches, pick up books, interact with gates, etc in a fully realized Myst like world is incredible

Oct 29, 2017
That's why Riven hasn't been re-released? Yeesh. I'm glad that it is in the pipeline at least.
Riven is still available, with ports of the DVD version on steam/gog/ipad/iphone, etc, but well... it's ports of the DVD version with all the low resolution grainyness the original CD release had, but all on one disc. They did a kickstarter a while back for a Myst anniversary collection where they paid the ScummVM team money to polish up their implementation of Myst 1, Riven and Myst 3 (technically a ResidualVM project, but in the next upcoming build that's being merged with ScummVM), and cut through the red tape with Ubisoft for 3 and 4 on digital platforms, but yeah, Riven is a much bigger game that would take more time for them to fully remake. Easier to just gobble up the existing fan project and make it official. I'm not sure if they lost *everything*, the FAQ on the Starry Expanse Project page hints that they have some assets (though are clear to say that all shown assets are all brand new), but Cyan has said that most of Riven sadly is gone.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
Paradise Killer is excellent and might scratch that itch:

Return of the Obra Dinn and The Talos Principle are worth checking out as well.

Mar 30, 2019
Riven is still available, with ports of the DVD version on steam/gog/ipad/iphone, etc, but well... it's ports of the DVD version with all the low resolution grainyness the original CD release had, but all on one disc. They did a kickstarter a while back for a Myst anniversary collection where they paid the ScummVM team money to polish up their implementation of Myst 1, Riven and Myst 3 (technically a ResidualVM project, but in the next upcoming build that's being merged with ScummVM), and cut through the red tape with Ubisoft for 3 and 4 on digital platforms, but yeah, Riven is a much bigger game that would take more time for them to fully remake. Easier to just gobble up the existing fan project and make it official. I'm not sure if they lost *everything*, the FAQ on the Starry Expanse Project page hints that they have some assets (though are clear to say that all shown assets are all brand new), but Cyan has said that most of Riven sadly is gone.
Thank you for that. You piqued my interest in the series again. I haven't played either Myst nor Riven since their original releases. Last I dove into the series was the Book of D'ni and just kinda whiled away with other properties. Faintly taking notice of new releases like Exile or Revelations, but never returning for whatever reason. Again thank you.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, they've recently finished a remake of Myst that's on Oculus and will be coming to PC and maybe other consoles/etc in the future. The people who were working on a fan-made Riven remake over the last several years got brought on into Cyan, so a Riven Remake is also being worked on.

While not on Switch, Cyan also did Obduction, which was a fantastic game they put out a few years ago, and they're also currently working on a new game called Firmament, can't wait for that.

OP
OP
ElectricBlanketFire

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
If you can find a deal, and you have a gaming PC, get yourself a VR headset and play through Obduction. It's the first new game from Cyan since Myst V, and the entire thing is playable start to finish in VR. One of those "oh right, yeah, this is the future" kinda deals. Yes, you can play the game on a screen just fine, but being able to pull switches, pick up books, interact with gates, etc in a fully realized Myst like world is incredible

The master would not approve.

Yeah, they've recently finished a remake of Myst that's on Oculus and will be coming to PC and maybe other consoles/etc in the future. The people who were working on a fan-made Riven remake over the last several years got brought on into Cyan, so a Riven Remake is also being worked on.

Hell yeah!

erikNORML

Oct 30, 2017
I just recently played through the Syberia trilogy on switch and while it has its faults I had a lot of fun with it. Often on sale for a couple bucks too. Has a similar adventure/puzzle thing going on.

Mar 30, 2019
...what about The Talos Principle?
It is a first person puzzle game, which is in the same vein in a way. I just feel like the serene atmospheric quality isn't quite like Myst, so don't expect it. It is a fun game in it's own right though. I liken it more to a slower paced Portal than Myst.

I may suggest Gorogoa as well as a Myst-like game.

Last edited:

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017

Starry Expanse has actually been working on realRiven for over a decade. Them getting bought by Cyan and the recent remake of Myst bodes well it may eventually be completed.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Whilst browsing the eShop, I came across this:

And while I adore Myst, I've played it a million times. So I was wondering if there was something else that would scratch my itch.

Also, port Riven to Switch.

Thank you for your time.

Not excatly like myst but Switch has tons of walkign sims with puzzles inpired by games like Myst.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter remains my high watermark for Switch, graphically. It has similarly obtuse puzzle elements.

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I mean i tried this game. Not 100% myst experience but slightly close enough. Personally its best played in undock mode because its fully touch screen. 60fps also.
eqqo-switch-hero.jpg