• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 31, 2017
Kind of an offshoot topic to this one.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/wo...d-other-genre-wrinkles-not-often-seen.101535/

Was bored, ended up on a SMB 2 info page where I learned it was adapted from a completely different game.

You play as mom, dad, son and sons girlfriend.

Kind of struck me how rare that dynamic is in games. So rare that it's the only game I can think of.

Sure there's siblings or a single father + one child/ward but the whole family never gets in on the adventure.

I guess it's rare where there's enough playable characters to have an entire family.

Now that I'm actually typing it out the only other examples in action/adventure/horror fiction where the entire family unit is at least present if not entirely active are The Incredibles and Lost in Space.

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
Rusty Lake Roots kind of does this, though it's more like you swapping between their perspectives on a big convoluted web of events rather than a unified family adventure.

Plum

May 31, 2018
In Assassin's Creed Odyssey the whole game is basically about trying to reunite your family and all of them are major players in the story.

You've got your brother/sister (depending on who you picked), your birth-mother, your step-father (plus your real father who's chilling in Atlantis) and your adopted brother. You'll meet all of them throughout the main story and if you manage to reunite everyone (except for the real father) you get a short scene of them chilling before getting all 4 of them as members of your ship crew.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Conception

vYpX5WsQcLXaqRGGcjCfk2LBKMKvyqnH8h64E2wfZOQ.jpg

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Not quite a normal family 'unit' but in Lost Odyssey you have two grandparents and their two grandchildren all as party members.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Final Fantasy VI has a father, daughter, and maternal grandfather in the party (the father's identity is a secret)

Deleted member 49535

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 10, 2018
Lost Odyssey. No playable mom and dad, but grandfather, grandmother and a couple of their grandchildren.

Also, don't all the new Fire Emblem have this? Couples in the game have their children come from the future to join them.

Last edited:

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Children of Morta just came out. It's supposedly great but no one cares

Gakidou

Oct 30, 2017
pip pip cheerio fish & chips
You can recruit a lot of family members in Chrono Cross.
You can recruit Korcha's little sister and Mom (and a guy called orcha who might be the dad?? not sure?)
You can also get Karsh's dad and Lady Riddel's dad
And the pirate guy Fargo has kids and a sister-in-law(?) but thats a sneakret spoilerr ;>

Oh, also there's a LEGO The Incredibles game

retroman

Oct 31, 2017
112583-everyone-s-a-wally-the-life-of-wally-zx-spectrum-front-cover.jpg

I can't imagine anyone here having played this one. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised, though.

Mar 18, 2018
God of War on PS4. You have a son and father, mother is dead so is not present. Unless you count Freya, but she's not playable ;)

Melpontro

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Syndicate lets you play as Brother, Sister,
Granddaughter/Great Niece

Oct 27, 2017
Costume Quest came instantly to mind.

Edit: Oh playable?

Tekken series. You've had grandpappy, daddy dearest, momma, son and cousin all playable in one game (Tag 2) and 7 takes out momma but adds grammy.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Assassin's Creed Origins has you play as the father and mother, with the son featured in flashbacks/spirit world scenes.

What Remains of Edith Finch has you play as quite a few family members.

Kung Fucius

Jun 28, 2019
timthumb.php

Simpson's Arcade Game. Everyone's in it. Grandpa, Patty, Selma, even the Dog and Cat make an appearance.

Tempy

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Odyssey. No playable mom and dad, but grandfather, grandmother and a couple of their grandchildren.

Also, don't all the new Fire Emblem have this? Couples in the game have their children come from the future to join them.

I'm so glad Fire Emblem Three Houses doesn't have any time travel shenanigans.

KaiPow

Oct 25, 2017
Came to recommend Lost Odyssey and Legacy of the Wizard so I'm glad people are recognizing greatness.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Fire Emblem Awakening has Chrom, whichever character he marries, Lucina, and another child.

I imagine it's cheating to include Flintstones/Simpsons/Family Guy games?

OP
OP
Stay Up Be Easy
Dec 31, 2017
timthumb.php

Simpson's Arcade Game. Everyone's in it. Grandpa, Patty, Selma, even the Dog and Cat make an appearance.
LOVED that game. Played it all the time at Chuck E Cheese.
Mother 3 comes to mind. Dog included!

maxresdefault.jpg

edit: BEATEN
My brother played Earthbound. There was a point in time I could do RPGs. But that has long passed.
Children of morta op go play now! You play as the entire family.
Children of Morta just came out. It's supposedly great but no one cares
I'm kinda wondering if this whole thread is a stealthy way to get people talking about Children of Morta.
Actually never heard of it.

Just YouTube's it....

Looks well made but probably not for me. Might try it when my renovation isn't taking every single free second if my time.