• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I often watch restoration videos on YouTube to relax and admire the craftsmanship, and it's gotten to the point where I wish I could set up my own workshop and learn how to restore old or broken stuff like they do in those videos.

I feel like I could get pretty decent at that kind of handiwork, however, I just don't have the time, patience and means to do something like that, mostly the time.

Also, I'd probably get tired of it after a couple of weeks, maybe months, and sell everything on eBay, lol.

Anyone else in a similar situation?

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Drawing, if that counts. I watch a lot of stuff like Peter Draws on youtube and wish I could do nice squiggly lines like he does, but I just don't really have the patience to learn.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
I'm not a bad photographer but I wish I had more time and, more honestly, energy to invest in it.

I'd also love to be able to write. I have a romantic view of sitting quietly in a sunlit room tapping away on on my next award winning novel with a nice cup of coffee by my side!

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I briefly tried learning how to draw, only to realize that it would take way years of very difficult mechanical study to get anywhere, but more importantly that I don't actually enjoy being bad at drawing. And if you can't have at least some fun while you're still bad at something it's very hard to put in the effort to get good at it.

At the very least, the experience did make me appreciate those that can draw a lot more.

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
I regularly go flying with a friend in his Cessna and would love to get my pilots license, but money and time is not on my side at the moment.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, another one from me! Electronic music! Another youtube inspiration example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3WQ67YfRKY

And eurorack stuff, etc. I mess around with VCVRack and Flip (for iOS) and other software solutions occasionally and sometimes even make something that sounds cool, but I never have any idea what I'm actually doing. Just doing this stuff on my PC or phone also feels a bit lacking compared to having an actual device or rack to do stuff with, but it's hard to justify shelling out a bunch of money on that stuff because of... well, everything I just said.

Dervius

Oct 28, 2017
UK
Piano.

I've played the drums recreationally for over a decade and learning how to do that better would be amazing, but I've always thought the piano was an incredibly appealing instrument, it would just feel weird starting beginner's lessons now for almost no real reason. Maybe it's silly.

Other than that it would be writing.

I occasionally put pen to pad and start working out some short story ideas but I never commit the time fully. I do have the time really, but fear of failure seems to keep me from really pursuing it to any real degree. I've considered enrolling in creative writing courses and such just to get things moving, but never pulled the trigger. Sometimes you need to actually just do the thing.

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
Blender. Hard to balance work, video games, fitness and then that on top of it.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Painting. I'd love to get better at it, as it just seems to have a lot of...presence that something like drawing lacks.

Singing. I'm often in a car by myself, and will occasionally find myself in karaoke, and while I'm not the actual worst, I'm still far from even ok.

Investing. I'm actually barred from doing this, and obviously everyone wants to make money, but [because of said bar] I've been removed from heavy technical quant analysis which I know I'd enjoy, even just academically.

I'm in the process of getting better at photography, but going is slow and random and immensely hard to gauge.

ArgyleReptile

Oct 25, 2017
Piano & Guitar. There's the time aspect and the simple fact that you need said instruments to practice them.

Drawing. I was super into drawing earlier this year and got to the point where I was actually seeing my progress after years of thinking I had no talent for it, then I just got bored and dropped it. I want to get into it again.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to be able to play and write music. That seems like such an awesome skill to have. All of my siblings learned at least one instrument growing up and I played several sports instead. I regret that a little now.

I also wish I was better at cooking and was more handy around the house. I am pretty much worthless when it comes to home maintenance and just pay someone else to do that stuff.

Yossarian

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Initially Piano and Drums, but I recently got given a keyboard by my boss and my wife bought me a cheap electric drum set, so… no?

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
I'd love to learn woodworking so I could make my own furniture. I don't know where to start though.

Bending wood always seemed cool as shit

Leafshield

Nov 22, 2019
I often watch restoration videos on YouTube to relax and admire the craftsmanship, and it's gotten to the point where I wish I could set up my own workshop and learn how to restore old or broken stuff like they do in those videos.

I feel like I could get pretty decent at that kind of handiwork, however, I just don't have the time, patience and means to do something like that, mostly the time.

Also, I'd probably get tired of it after a couple of weeks, maybe months, and sell everything on eBay, lol.

Anyone else in a similar situation?
I just read the title and immediately thought of those restoration videos too! They are so relaxing to watch, the craftsmanship and patience on show is just inspiring.

Nightfall

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Playing the piano or guitar. Or I'd also love to be a master model builder.
Just can't invest the time for any of these

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
I would love to learn more about computer programming, game design, etc but when it comes to the actual coding stuff I get frustrated with it all. Especially more so when I try to look up WHY a certain thing must happen in a certain way and I don't get a clear answer anywhere (This also extends to just general troubleshooting, like say internet connection dropping out and I have to constantly delete and add the driver to get it working again).

In terms of means, I think plumbing and general house building work is one, I would like to learn as much as possible for my own bits of work rather than as a job, but the good courses are very expensive.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
Bass guitar. Bro even bought me one for Christmas last year. Tried, got a lil ways in, and then just lost steam. I need to take some proper lessons, I think. My hands are so damn small and them strings are so big :[

ReBirFh

Dec 8, 2017
Woodworking is a dream hobby that I'd want to learn but living in a small appartment makes this a impossible dream.

ninnanuam

Nov 24, 2017
Guitar. I used to practice and I was always bad but I'd at least try.

Now I have arthritis or something in my my pinky and ring finger and it just hurts too much to even try. I keep thinking of selling my gear but it depresses me to think about.

Yes

Oct 28, 2017
Anything. There's this "force" in me, a barrier, that's between me and me doing things. Procrastination. But it feels something very materialized, concrete. Like walls of a prison.

Sometimes I can kinda fool it and go under the watchtowers' searchlights.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
I've become addicted to videos about sculpting dioramas and mini models. I wish I had the resources and time to learn how to make this stuff this stuff.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
I've become addicted to videos about sculpting dioramas and mini models. I wish I had the resources and time to learn how to make this stuff this stuff.
A really good way to start a diorama/modelling hobby is with some of the kits that have popped up over recent years. Just search 'diorama kit' on Amazon or AliExpress. They come with everything, glue and tweezers too usually, and are a great starting point.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
Loads of things, many mentioned in this thread already! Guitar, woodworking, welding, piano, Blender, sculpting, painting, Photoshop, Unreal/Unity, car mechanic, the list is endless!

Dec 30, 2020
Every single one. At the moment I want to learn to ride a unicycle but I can't find any shops that sell ones that can take an adult's weight.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
I suppose learn how to play an instrument, either guitar or piano. Then I would be set to finally develop my own videogame. Nah, that last part I was kidding.

Also learn how to do marketing and interact more using social networks. I don't have the slightest idea how to attract people using Twitter or Instagram, and since I want people to know more about the book I'm writing, this is quite important.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
I want to learn piano/keyboard, drawing, woodworking/carpentry, and some other things but idk it costs too much u__u