• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Will it have enough power to theoretically run all games at 4K 60FPS?

• Yes

Votes: 85 8.4%
  • No

Votes: 456 45.0%
  • Yes, but it will depend on each game/developer

Votes: 472 46.6%

• Total voters

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
I'm willing to bet that it would even struggle hitting that mark with some of the current games, nevermind games from 5 years from now.

Evan

Oct 27, 2017
If and when I buy the new X, if it isn't at least 60fps I won't be buying the game. I couldn't care less if it was 4K.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
There is no pattern for that. Games are different. You can't compare linear games with open worlds. Different engines will perform different.

So the answer is no. Only for 4k 9-12 tflops(since 12 is not official) is not enough. For 4k and 60 fps some games will be some will be not.

And after 2-3 years like always with consoles most of games will be sub 4k and 30 fps.

Stickman

Oct 27, 2017
When will people understand this? Every machine can run stuff at 4K/60, it depends what the developers do with the resources. The switch could run games at 4K/60 but they would have to look like N64 games.
The only thing we can say about next gen is that the CPUs won't be a bottleneck as they were for PS4 and Xbox One. Chances are good for more 60 fps games.

Deleted member 11276

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When will people understand this? Every machine can run stuff at 4K/60, it depends what the developers do with the resources. The switch could run games at 4K/60 but they would have to look like N64 games.
Because people assume the Triple A baseline of graphics when talking about 4K60. There is no point of bringing this up again and again....

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so, developers will push for better looking graphics. Even the most high end card on the market today won't run all games at 4K/60, that is even if you play with the GFX settings.

It will be a decision taken at the dev's discretion, just like this gen.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
If they reach for low/medium settings they'll probably be able to achieve that more often than not. But very high/ultra settings absolutely not. People get really hung up on resolution not fully understanding what it does. I'll take 1440p/ultra over 4k/low-medium-high any day.

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
It seems like 4k 60 is going to be a selling point for the new xbox so it's likely that most microsoft first party titles will aim for that I dont expect every dev to prioritize it.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
if the dev wants there game to be 4k60fps then they will make there game so its do able. ms or sony is not going to force devs to do it as that will just piss off devs

Landy828

Oct 26, 2017
Clemson, SC
With Jaguar? Lol no.

Yes it does, lol. If that's the target, you can do it.

How do people still not understand how this works?

If a game is developed to run at 4k/60..and they specifically make it for that..then it WILL run at that if they optimized and finished it to do that. This isn't that hard to understand.

Even the Xbox One X has 4k/60 games....because they fall within a design that works at that on that hardware. I have at least 30+ games on the system that run at 4k/60.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
This question doesn't make sense... virtually all games could be developed for 4K/60fps on Series X... it's entirely a matter of the Dev choices in making the game and what compromises they are willing to make.

Oct 27, 2017
You can't develop any game with this parameter on Jaguar (Ubisoft openworld games say hello)
There are no magic specs to hit any specific performance for every game. It depends entirely on the scope and demands of the individual game. You could totally make a 4k/60fps game on base current gen consoles if you limited the scope to hit those numbers. You could make a balls-to-the-wall crazy game that can only run at 720p/30fps on the Series X. It's entirely dependent on the game.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Well dev's will always want to make games at best looking rather than frame-rate, until that changes for the mainstream 30fps games will always happen

Florin4k4

Banned
Mar 18, 2019
This thread doesnt make Any sense. We dont even know what games are Coming out and Any Game can run at 4K 60 given enough downgrades.

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
every time this question gets asked, and every time a similar question is asked about any future hardware, the answer for the foreseeable future will always be "no", because until a machine provides infinite compute power it will always be possible to demand so much from the system that it can't handle running at 60fps
one and done.

WhtR88t

May 14, 2018
I do think it was interesting that the Godfall trailer was 60fps and the Hellblade trailer was 30fps.

Obviously Hellblade blew Godfall out of the water graphically, but as a "first PS5" trailer, I appreciated the 60fps and makes me wonder if Sony is asking devs to focus on 60 vs graphics, but who knows and it's ultimately up to the devs.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
Frame rate queens would have next gen games look like Switch if they have their way, no thanks

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
I guess the interesting question would be, next gen, what kind of graphics will be possible at 4k/60fps and will it be impressive enough so devs can comfortably target that while the game not looking like a current gen remaster. Each generation bringing more beauty (let's say), it's more possible to not max out the console graphic ressources while maintaining a great graphic level.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
A 2080ti/9900k isn't even enough for 4k/60 in all games unless you're willing to turn down settings.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
It's always going to be up to the developer, no matter how powerful series x is. It's a balancing act between graphics and performance that each developer decides is the best for them.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
Frame rate queens would have next gen games look like Switch if they have their way, no thanks
...except it wouldn't even be close because the system would still be outputting at much higher resolutions and still have much more graphical fidelity through higher quality textures, more geometry on screen at a time...

Terror-Billy

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Current gen games? Absolutely. There's a lot of great looking games already at 4K, some even at 60 with dynamic resolution that are bottlenecked by the CPU of the machine. However, next gen will probably depend on devs and their priorities, so I have no clue.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
I do think it was interesting that the Godfall trailer was 60fps and the Hellblade trailer was 30fps.

Obviously Hellblade blew Godfall out of the water graphically, but as a "first PS5" trailer, I appreciated the 60fps and makes me wonder if Sony is asking devs to focus on 60 vs graphics, but who knows and it's ultimately up to the devs.

If Godfall is a multiplayer looter then I can see why they targeted 60fps there. I can't see anyway in hell devs like Insomniac or Guerilla Games push 60fps over visuals for the new Horizon and Spiderman games. I think Sony and devs will always want visuals over framerate in narrative driven games. Same thing with Ninja Theory and Hellblade.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
You can't develop any game with this parameter on Jaguar (Ubisoft openworld games say hello)

Those games are not developed with 60fps on a Jaguar as a parameter in the first place. If they wanted to do an open world 60fps game on 1X they could. It's obviously not going to look like Odyssey but that was never the dude's point.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Up to the developer and what they want to do. I can run any game on my PC at 4k/60fps depending on how I adjust my settings per game.
However if the option is 1440p/120, I rather they chose that instead.
Yup, devs COULD hit 60fps with all games even this gen(but they have to scale assets, resolution ect ect ect to hit that). Its just a case of what is their priority.

Obviously the prio for devs is 4k(or at least staying as close as possible to 4k) for next gen, so just like every other gen we will probably see 30fps most of the time bc eyecandy sells so to speak.

I think 1440p at 120fps is basically not happening (for consoles at least) i could be wrong tho.

luckily we will know for sure in a couple of months : )

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
No.

No machine is good enough for 4k 60fps on all games. Games do not have limits.

Deleted member 4072

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. No excuses for developers not to be targeting that with those specs. Provide a mode for people who don't play games and just take screenshots who think framerate doesn't matter but your target sure as hell be 4k/60. Phils wording heavily eluded to this too.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
So far the wide-spread belief has been that higher Frame Rate does not sell more copies. It doesn't make for better looking promotional footage in most cases and though the buzzword has some weight, it doesn't seem to hold a candle to the higher visual fidelity that can be achieved with better graphics and dynamic scallers in real-time. I highly doubt that will change.

Aokiji

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
How many times do we have to repeat this. Developers choose to not have 60FPS. They prefer better visuals/fidelity/effects 9x out of 10. Every time you bump the power, they will increase those things again before worrying about 60fps

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
How many times do we have to repeat this. Developers choose to not have 60FPS. They prefer better visuals/fidelity/effects 9x out of 10. Every time you bump the power, they will increase those things again before worrying about 60fps
Halo, Gears of War, Battlefield, Uncharted, Star Wars Battlefront. All games that either hit 60fps this generation on consoles, and have development teams that have expressed an interest in doing so going forward. I know the line about developers choosing visuals over frame rate has been a winning one for the most part, but the trend is shifting, and with these very balanced next gen machines I think we're going to see a lot more developers choose 60fps.

Part of this is also because making games prettier and prettier means spending a lot more money. Budgets can't just keep going up and up. At some point making the game run smoother and play better becomes appealing.